of shopping and playing in the rain...

family

“Yifaaan, I will be going now. I’ll be back before dinner,” Tao called as he grabbed his Gucci backpack.

“You have your inhaler with you?” Kris’ voice resounded from the other side of the house. He had been very cautious about everything ever since the incident few months ago.

“Yes, its here,” Tao replied, closing the backpack.

“Baekhyun picked you up already?” Kris came into the living room with Sehun in his arms.

“No, I’ll go to his house and then we’ll go together. It’s right across the street anyway. Do you need anything you want me to get?” Tao asked, approaching his husband and son.

“I’m good, just enjoy your shopping time, okay?” Kris said with a smile on his lips.

“Okay,” Tao replied with a soft smile, then squatted in front of Sehun “Be good, okay Sehun? Baba will make special dinner for tonight, okay?” he ruffled their son’s hair.

“Mm! Bye baba, I love you,” said Sehun, hugging Tao’s neck.

“I love you too, my dear,” Tao hugged his son back, smiling widely.

“I love you three!” Kris suddenly hugged them both, kissing them repeatedly.

They laughed together, enjoying each other’s presence in their arms, smile appearing on their faces, “You ball of cheese,” Tao mumbled as he stole a kiss on Kris’ lips. Kris grinned widely and kissed his husband back, earning a loud “eeeeew~” from Sehun.

Not long after, Kris and Sehun bid Tao goodbye as he entered Baekhyun’s car, heading to the mall. Kris decided to take care of Sehun for a change and let Tao had his break, doing his favorite thing, shopping, with his favorite hyung, Baekhyun. It is good that both of them had the same hobby.

After the car drove off, Kris and Sehun went back inside their house. Kris smiled as he scanned it.

Tao was an architect. He designed this house, also the one who chose every single furniture. They had an argument about how Tao wanted all the sofa to be leopard printed, but Kris insisted that it might scare little Sehun, so Tao kept all the leopard printed stuff in his working room. He smiled at the memory of how Tao pouted in defeat after that argument.

Nevertheless, Kris has to admit that Tao has a good taste. Their house was comfortable and very homey. Some walls were painted cream; some were covered with colorful tiles. The floor was parquetted, with light cream marble tiles in the kitchen. The sofas are broken white, with puffy colorful cushions on them. Tao had printed Sehun’s doodles on the fabric, and it made Kris love lounging on it even more. Tao also gave Kris one black leather couch special for watching sports games on tv, with trays on the sides so Kris can drink his soda and not knocking it over. His husband is thoughtful. He plans and prepares everything well.

Kris’ eyes stopped at the pictures above the fireplace. Tao arranged them so neatly, one pictures of each of Sehun’s birthday parties where the little boy was squeezed between his parents, one of their wedding day, and one of their honeymoon. Kris must admit it; seeing them made him missed Tao even the younger had just left for the mall. It might be cheesy and weird, but he did miss Tao.

Home indeed is where the heart is, and as much homey this house is, it feels different without Tao.

He looked at the clock above the picture frames and sighed. If it were Tao who went shopping, he’d spend at least the whole day. So Kris clasped his hand and decided to do something with Sehun to spend the time.

Kris tilted his head, staring at his 4 years old son.

“Sehun, what should we do now?” he asked.

“Play!” Sehun answered excitedly, pointing his fingers to the ceiling.

“Okay, what do you want to play?” Kris asked again, taking Sehun’s hand in his, leading the kid into the backyard.

“Luhan!” he exclaimed.

“Huh? Luhan? You mean your friend Luhan?”

Sehun nodded wholeheartedly, “Luhan!” he stated again.

“Okay, I will ask Chanyeol if he’d come here with Luhan,” Kris said, taking Sehun back into the living room, then dialed Chanyeol’s number.

“Hello?” Chanyeol’s deep voice greeted him.

“Chan, Sehun wanted to play with Luhan. Is Luhan doing anything?” Kris asked.

“Oh My God. Thank God you called. I made cookies, and now Luhan had so much energy and Baek made me clean the mess in the kitchen and now I’m freakin tired I cannot move and Luhan kept on tugging my shirt asking me to play with him my house is a mess toys everywhere Kris, toys! Do you know lego hurts like hell when you stepped on them?? Well I do now! Damn little pieces of grenades,” Chanyeol replied, his voice sounded desperate.

“So, Luhan can play with Sehun?” Kris asked to make sure, piercing his eyes.

“Yea yea, I’ll bring him over. Wait, let me change his shirt first, he just spilled the apple juice,” Chanyeol said before ending the call.

Not long after the phone call, the bell in Wu household rang. Sehun practically skipped to the front door, with Kris following behind. Kris opened the door to see obviously tired Chanyeol and ecstatic Luhan beside him, eyes wide as he met Sehun’s gaze. The two yelled excitedly and ran back inside the house, leaving Chanyeol and Kris.

“Damn monsters of the seven seas. What did I do to deserve Kraken for a son,” Chanyeol sighed, “Please tell me you have a place somewhere in this house where I can hide from them for a little while, I cannot stand another scream of excitement or anything from Luhan,” he said in one breath.

Kris laughed loudly, “Come on in, I think I saw Tao prepared iced tea in the fridge. We can watch the game while they play in Sehun’s room,” he said, gesturing for Chanyeol to come in.

Turns out Tao indeed prepared a jug of ice tea. It was labeled, ‘You’re going to need this’ on blue post it. After filling two glasses with it, both Kris and Chanyeol sat comfortably on the sofa, sometimes exclaiming when their favorite players made score. Not noticing the time, the sun had hid behind the clouds and the rain started to pour.

Sehun walked into the living room with Luhan trailing behind him.

“Yi Baba, its raining,” Sehun said with a frown.

“Are you scared? Come here,” Kris said, opening his arms to Sehun so he could climb to his lap.

“No, I want to play with the rain,” Sehun suddelnly smiled, identical with the one Tao has.

“I’m sorry baby, you cannot play in the rain, it’s cold outside and you might end up being sick,” Kris reached and pinched Sehun’s nose.

“But Zi Baba allowed me!” Sehun pouted, avoiding eye contact with Kris.

“Really?” Kris lifted an eyebrow in doubt. That was unlikely of Tao.

But Sehun nodded vigorously to confirm, so he decided to call Tao just to make sure. The dial tone rang in his ears unstoppably as a reply, and he knew instantly that Tao had his phone forgotten in the base of his backpack while he shopped.

Kris set his phone on the desk next to the sofa and looked at the young boy in front of him.

“Zi Baba allowed you to play in the rain?” he asked, confirming.

“Yes!” Sehun nodded in assurance, still avoiding eye contact with his father.

“Then I guess it’s okay. Lets find your rain gears,” Kris stood up, failing to see Chanyeol’s head shaking frantically, signaling Kris not to give the permission.

“I want to play in the rain too! Dad! I want to play in the rain too!!” Luhan tugged Chanyeol’s shirt repeatedly, yelling at the top of his lungs.

Chanyeol facepalmed himself while Kris laughed wholeheartedly.

“Sorry. Come on Yeol, consider this exercise!” Kris laughed again while walking to Sehun’s closet, trying to find the kid’s rain gears. Thing is, Tao is the one in the house whose always prepared with everything but that’s not the case with him. The gears were nowhere to find. No small umbrella, no raincoats, no boots. Kris was sure that Tao had bought Sehun yellow rain gears a couple weeks ago because they were having a big sale at the mall. He remembered how his husband made Sehun wore them to see if they fit him well. They did, but they also made their son looked like a little baby chicken walking around the house. He looked so funny and Kris had laughed so much he got stomachache after.

Kris flipped Sehun’s clothes, opened each and every drawer, but no rain gears were seen. Not even a single boot. So Kris returned to the living room to tell Sehun that the plan needed to be postponed.

The sight that met him was, well, unexpected.

Luhan was already wearing an apron, both hands hidden in cooking gloves, a mixing bowl on his head. Sehun had a tablecloth on his neck worn like a cape, and a boiling pan covering his hair. Chanyeol had a napkin tied around his head, and two bowls were taped on his shoulders. He offered Kris a frying pan and another apron. Kris lifted both eyebrows.

“What is this?” he asked blankly.

“Rain gears,” Chanyeol replied lightly, grinning.

“What? No, no, they’re not.”

“Emergency rain gears. Come on, I don’t want to go back to the house to fetch Luhan’s gears then come back here to play with the rain. And I’m sure you can’t find Sehun’s as well from all that sound you make in his bedroom,” Chanyeol grinned wider, “If we’re gonna do this, we’re gonna do it professionally. All out,”

Kris sighed, taking the apron and the frying pan, staring at them like they’re explosive devices.

“Are we really going to do this?” Kris asked, staring at the three boys in front of him (yes he counted Yeol as a boy too because right now he has the same maturity level with the two toddlers).

“Yes!!” the three exclaimed in unison.

Kris chuckled before swinging the deep red apron over his head and tying it on the back of his waist. Sehun took the frying pan and put it on his father’s head.

“You’re ready Ba!” Sehun said, giving his thumb up, then ran to their backyard with Luhan and Chanyeol.

 

 

 

“Ah, we took so long for shopping, Hyung” Tao said as Baekhyun pulled over in front of the younger’s house.

“Look who’s talking? Who insisted on going to Gucci store and ended up trying all their new suits and shades, taking all the time in the world? Crops were harvested twice when you were in there,” Baekhyun mocked, smile crept to his lips as he turned off the engine.

“Said someone who spent an awfully long time to decide whether to get dark blue skinny jeans or the black ones of the same model,” Tao mocked back, releasing the seatbelt.

“Touché. Anyway, thanks for companying me to MAC, Tao. Those new eyeliners are so good I cannot wait to put them on,” Baekhyun said, grabbing the shopping bags from the back seat.

“I think you’d look awesome as always. Doesn’t matter what kind of eyeliner you put on, you got the style and attitude to rock anything,” the younger replied with a smile, opening the car door and an umbrella as it was still raining. Baekhyun did the same on the other side of the car, “And thank you too for the take out recommendation, they smell good, “ Tao lifted the brown paper bags on his left hand.

“Luhan loves them, I think Sehun would too,” Baekhyun replied as they proceed to the front door, “And yes I know I can rock everything. Including your world,”

They were laughing loudly as Tao tried to find his key and unlock the door. When he did and the door swung open, Tao dropped his umbrella, a gape appeared on his face.

The house was a mess. There were muddy footsteps all over the place, water puddle in front of the backyard door, pans were scattered on the floor and wet napkins hung over the kitchen counter. Was that blob of wet chunk in the corner his Christmas tablecloth?

“What in the world—“ Tao begun, but was cut by the sound of laughter from the other side of the living room.

“Hahahaha Sehun your hair!”

“Yah! Chanyeol, you’re soaked, don’t sit on my couch!”

“No, no! Luhan! Hahahahaha!”

“Oh God Kris I swear this is my new T-shirt Baek just bought me, look what they did! Baek would kill me!”

Tao turned to Baekhyun, who did the same.

“Yifaaaaan!”


“Yeollieeeee!”

The laughter died for a minute before the mentioned appeared in front of them, the two little kids hiding behind the tall men.

“Oh my dear Buddha, why are you all wet? What did you do to the house? Where did those mud come from?” Tao exclaimed, approaching Kris and Sehun while Baekhyun started to scold Chanyeol beside him.

“Well, its not that long of a story actually. Sehun wanted to play in the rain—“ Kris begun.

“Play in the rain? And why would you allow him to do that?” Tao cut him, a frown between his eyebrows.

“… He told me you allowed him to?” Kris raised both his eyebrows in surprise. Seeing Tao’s expression, never in his life he’d allow Sehun to play in the rain. Kris turned to the little devil behind him, who grinned sheepishly. That little kid tricked him! Sehun really was Tao’s son.

“Well uh…” Kris turned again to meet Tao’s upset gaze, “I guess I was wrong. But actually I was going to put his rain gears on but I couldn’t find it so—“

Tao kicked the closet beside them open, revealing their winter gears and Sehun’s bright rain gears in the corner.

“You checked here?” he asked in disbelief.

“Oh there they are!” Kris exclaimed in happiness, but when he turned to see Tao’s serious face his own smile vanished, “ Uh, I guess I didn’t check there, I’m sorry,”

“Did you at least make him a hot chocolate after?” Tao asked again.

Kris didn’t answer, but his blank face said it all. Tao set his backpack and shopping bag in the closet and handed the warm brown paper bag to his husband before lifting Sehun in his arms.

“Put them in the kitchen, then take a bath. I will bathe Sehun. Luhan can take a bath here too, hyung,” Tao said as he disappeared into Sehun’s bedroom, followed by Baekhyun and Luhan, the former glared at his husband as he did so.

Kris did what he was told, then threw a dry towel to Chanyeol.

“You use the guest bathroom. We ain’t sharing,” Kris said before entering his and Tao’s bedroom.

An hour later, all six of them sat around the teak dining table, all dry and warm, ready to have dinner. Tao, Kris, Baekhyun and Chanyeol had red wine with their meals while Sehun and Luhan had hot chocolate with star shaped marshmallow in their mugs.

“Thank Goodness I decided to buy takeouts. I cannot imagine what you used those pans for,” Tao said, glancing at Kris and Chanyeol.

“We used them as hat!” Chanyeol defended.

“You do realize that our house is right across the street and that both you and Luhan has rain gears right? God, Chanyeol...” Baekhyun scolded Mr. Smiley beside him.

“But Daaaad, we had fun, we do! We played wars!” Luhan said, lifting his fork to the air.

“Yeth, mud war!” Sehun repeated Luhan’s action, yelling with his adorable lisp.

“Its ‘yes’, not ‘yeth!” Luhan turned, correcting Sehun with a frown, looking very serious.

“Baek ahjuthiiiii, Luhan ith being not nithe!” Sehun turned to Baekhyun.

“Luhan—“Chanyeol begun.

“Dad, can Sehun sleepover tonight?” Luhan suddenly said, cutting his Dad.

Baekhyun ruffled Luhan’s hair, “Sure, if his parents allowed him to,”

Both Sehun and Luhan turned to Kris and Tao.

“Baba! Baba please, please? Can I?” Sehun asked with high picthed voice.

“Ahjusshi!! Can Sehun sleepover? I can scoot a little so Sehun and I will fit on the bed, and he can use my blue pillow, and we will share the blanket, please?” Luhan’s eyes went very big and he blinked a few times to assure Kris and Tao.

“Zi Babaaaaa,”

“And Ahjusshi! He can use my plush too! And the socks!”

“Yi Babaaaaa”

“Please, ahjusshi? Can he? Ahjusshhiiiiiiiii!!!!!!”

Tao giggled while Kris massaged his temple in frustration before nodding, “yes, yes, he can,”

“Yes!!” both of the toddlers exclaimed, wide smiles plastered on their faces, “I will show you my lego collection, and my rubix cube. Dad said there’s a more complicated version of it, and I almost solved mine so I can get the new one real soon,” Luhan continued excitedly.

“You have to finish your meal and your hot chocolates first,” said Tao, smiling at the two boys in front of him.

“Yes, Baba!” Sehun answered, grabbing his fork to continue to eat.

When the dinner was over, Tao helped Sehun changed into pajamas so he can go straight to bed in Luhan’s house. Kris watched him helped Sehun with a smile on his face.

Tao caught Kris’ gaze and smiled back, “yes?” he asked.

“Nothing. I’m just looking at the most beautiful view,” Kris said, making Tao blush.

“Stop being cheesy, you cheese ball,” Tao said, finally done buttoning Sehun’s pajamas.

Kris chuckled, “I’m being honest,”

Tao smiled wider, then turned to kiss both Sehun’s cheeks, “Be good, okay? I will pick you up tomorrow morning so we can have strawberry waffle for breakfast together,”

Sehun nodded before walked towards Kris and hold his father’s hand.

“You’re ready Sehun? Alright then, I will take you to Luhan’s house,” Kris said, turning around towards the front door, Sehun exclaimed with excitement beside him.

 

 

 

After Kris dropped Sehun off at Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s house, he entered the house again without making a sound. He looked left and right for Tao but no avail. Then he heard clanking sounds from the kitchen, so he walked to the lighted room and peeked from behind the wall.

Kris smiled at the view of Tao washing the dishes. All the mess from the playing in the rain was almost disappear, the traces of mud were no longer seen, and the wet towels and clothes were being washed in the machine. Tao was now cleaning the pans and bowls Kris and Sehun used earlier.

Kris crept from behind, wrapped his hands around Tao’s waist, his chin resting on his shoulder.

“You know, the house feels different with you in it,” he mumbled.

Tao chuckled, “How?”

“It feels more like home with you. It feels like… I can’t explain it. It’s just different. In a very good way,” Kris sighed, “I don’t know what I would do without you,” he said, breathing in Tao’s scent, the best scent he had ever smelled in his life.

Tao smiled at the deep but soft voice in his ear, the voice he liked the most in the world.

“Then thank God you won’t need to,” Tao dried his hands then turned, throwing his arms around Kris’ neck, “Cause I have no plans on leaving,”

“Good,” Kris smiled, “I love you, Taozi.”

“I love you too” replied Tao, before Kris pressed his lips against Tao’s.

Kris swore he’s the happiest, luckiest man in the world.

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! So this is the rewritten version of rain! I have decided to put this story into one with its previous story and post them as chapters instead. Thats why the rain story was deleted before. 

I am planning on making this ongoing, posting chapters about this Taoris and their son Sehun. I hope you like this way better! 

I have another chapter in mind to follow this, I will post it soon when I finished writing it.

Thank you for reading, tell me what you think in the comments below, if you have any ideas, or if you want to say hi!

 

 

you can also spazz with me on twitter @huangjangeun!

 

 

x