02/02

Plot Twist

 

"So how long has it been since we last see each other again?", He asked.
 
We were in a diner few blocks away from my home. It's the diner where we used to go to everytime we're too lazy to cook. It's also the place where we had our dinner during our first anniversary. So tell me, how can he act like this place never hold memories. Like it's just the same as any diner scattered around the city. How? Now I'm starting to doubt my decision of meeting him. I should have just left without saying anything. That should've been much better. I'm stuck with the guy who broke my heart and left me four years ago. And I'm letting it happen. I'm letting him do it all over again.
 
 
I was pulled away from my thoughts when I felt a pinch on my cheek. I looked at the one at fault and saw him smiling at me, "You're spacing out again. Are you really alright Hyukjae?" He pulled his hand away from me when I looked at him. "Y-yeah, I'm fine. Let's eat?" He looked at me, a bit hesitant and started eating his food.
 
 
Silence. Everything was silent while we were eating. It's like we're not together. We're up in our own little worlds. He used to hate it when everything's so quiet. He always makes sure we have something to talk about to avoid having silence when we're together. I wonder why he isn't talking now. Ahh some things really do change.
 
 
I was reminiscing our memories together when he started talking, "So Hyuk, how have you been? It's been how many years again since we last see each other?" I poked the meat on my food while whispering, "Four". Eventhough I was whispering, he heard me clearly. " Yeah yeah that's right. It's been four years since then. So how are you Hyukkie?" He looked at me expectantly.
 
 
"I-Ive been great. Sungmin.. sungmin hyung took care of me.." when you left me
 
"That's great. So.. I can see that you can remember things now. How did that happen?" How can you ask questions like this? Seriously? Does our past not affect you?
 
"I had an operation. You know. So I can remember stuff and so that the people I really love wouldn't leave me behind for the reason that I can't remember our anniversaries." He looked at me with his eyes wide open. Shocked with what I said. And he started lowering his gaze, looking at his lap.
 
 
Awkward silence started enveloping us. I saw his mouth opening then closing again. It's like he wanted to say something but he can't. I then started eating out my dessert. "Donghae-ssi, you better eat your ice cream before it melts. You don't want it melted don't you?", I said to him to lessen the awkwardness around us. He looked at me and smiled. Not his usual boyish grin, "Oh yeah. I totally forgot about that." He then started eating it.

 
---------------------------------------
 
 
When we're done eating, we talked about the things we missed and some completely random stuff. I learned that he's now working at Siwon's company as Editor in chief.On weekends, he visits this orphanage near his house to interact with kids. He taught them how to dance, to read and to write. "You should come with me Hyuk, you can teach them your super cool dance moves. You're a better dancer than me back then. And I bet you're still until now." He smiled at me. 
 
 
"Uhh.. I don't know about that." I scratched the back of my neck, looking anywhere besides his eyes. "I mean.. I'm kinda busy with the shop I'm working at. And I don't know if Sungmin hyung will allow me to miss a day every week. So yeah.. But I'll ask him." After I said that, I saw how his face literally shined with happiness.
 
 
We talked some more and eat some more. We were having so much fun that we didn't realize it's getting late. We only noticed it when one of the waitress approached our table and told us that they're closing up. So we went on our way out of the diner. He insisted that he would walk me home so he'll be sure that I get home safe. And he also said that he still wanna talk to me.
 
 
While walking home, we talked and laughed and pushed each other lightly just like the old times. Just like the old times. 
 
 
When we're infront of my house, another awkward silence enveloped us. He was looking at the ground while I was looking at him.
 
"So.. I guess I'll see you tomorrow? Or another day. I don't know. Next time I guess", He said.
 
"Yeah. I'll see you next time.", I smiled at him.
 
"Goodnight Hyuk"
 
"Goodnight Donghae" I made my way to the front door and opened it with my key. When I turned back, He's still there waiting for me to go inside. I smiled at him and went inside. When I'm in, I peeked on the window and saw him walking away with his hands on his pocket. 
 
That night, I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had the best dream ever. Of course it had me and him in it.
 
 
---------------------------------------
 
Moving on means letting go of the things you got used to, things you loved. I've already done that. I'm in the middle of the "Maintenance" stage. Then BOOM! All the things I've worked hard for. All the things I let go. All the things I did, came crashing down before me when I bumped into him that unfaithful day. Moving on means having the courage to face him without feeling anything. Talking to him without having those butterflies flying in your tummy. I've already moved on so why am I feeling those butterflies right now. Right now that I'm talking to him on the very same diner we went to last week. This thing needs to stop. I gotta stop this before it all happens again.
 
He was in the middle of talking when I suddenly stood up. "I-I need to go now. It's already late. Uhmm.. I'll talk to you next time I guess.", then I started walking to the door. Hyukjae you need to stop this now. You need to before everything gets ed up.
 
I was about to cross the street when I felt a hand pulling my wrist, I looked back and saw him panting. "Let..", he pants "Let me take you home."
"No need Donghae. It's just a couple blocks away. Y-you can go home now. It's already late.", I said without looking at him. I then tried to remove my wrist from his grip.
 
"Hyuk please, let me take you home."
 
"I told you it's alright. I can take care of myself. I know how to get back home. I'm not like the stupid Hyukjae you used to know.", I said to him hardly.
 
He looked at me, shock evident in his face. "You know I don't mean it like that Hyuk."
 
"Then what do you mean?"
 
"I-I just wanna make sure you're able to go home safely.". he said hesitantly.
 
"OH please Donghae, stop pretending like you actually care. Stop pretending like you wanna be friends. J-just stop pretending. I'm tired of this. I'm tired of all this.", I said coldly, then I looked at him as tears started forming in my eyes. "Four years Donghae. Four ing years. I've been waiting for you to comeback. Waiting for you to hold me in your arms again. But you never came back. You never even tried to visit. Everyday, I'm hoping that even just a letter. Just a letter from you would come. For four years, I keep on telling myself that you'll change your mind and would come back for me. But you never did. So I decided to move on. Get help from Sungmin hyung. And now that I can finally say I'm over you, you then decided to show up and started talking to me like "us" never happened. Like you never left me. J-just stop. I'm tired Hae. I'm tired of all this.", I shook my head, wiped my tears with my sleeves. 
 
"I keep on telling myself that I've already moved on. That I'm finally over you. That I already erased our memories together. But one smile from you, all those things came crashing down before me. Ha ha ha Plot twist, I've never really moved on. I still love you. B-but I know you won't love me back. Because you don't see me that way anymore. You don't. And it's a-alright. Y-yeah, i-it is.", I smiled at you lightly then started walking back home. Home. The only place where no one can see me cry my heart out because of you. Where I can totally be myself without pretending that I'm happy. 
 
As I crossed the street, I felt a hand tugging my wrist. I looked back and saw you panting. "I-Hyuk, hear me out f-first.", you said while trying to catch your breath.
 
"I-I'm sorry that I left you without even saying goodbye. God I was not myself that time. I..I don't know what got into me when I decided to leave you. I loved you. And I still do. The last four years was hard for me too. Right after I boarded the plane heading to US, I instantly regret what I did. I felt so stupid leaving you like that when I know that you don't have someone that'll be there for you. So I called Sungmin hyung and asked him to take care of you while I was away. While in US, I asked Siwon to help me find a cure for your illness. When we finally did, I called Sungmin hyung to tell him the good news. While you were in the emergency room, I was there too. I was the one holding your hand. It wasn't Sungmin.", You were crying so hard right now. Good thing it's already late. No one's gonna see us.
 
"After your operation, I left immediately. Not wanting you to see me. Since I know you're mad at me. Everyday, I always call Sungmin to update me on what's happening to you. What are you doing. If you're eating well. Things like that. I-I didn't have the courage to face you so I never tried contacting you. But it doesn't mean I never loved you. Or never looked up for you. So when I bumped to you that day, I was nervous. Nervous that you might walk away from me. And happy that you never did. Whenever we go out, that's the time where I truly felt happy. Because I get to see you smile and just be with you. J-just..", you hesitated.
 
"I know I've been stupid. But I really wanna do make up for the time I've lost. Will you allow me?", I looked at you for the longest time since I met you again, started wiping the tears that flowed down your face and wrapped my arms around you.
 
"Of course I will", I whispered while sniffing. "Stupid"
 
"I know", you chuckled lightly while hugging me back. 

 
---------------------------------------
 
 
We were walking back to my house, holding hands when I felt you looking at me. And I was right, you were. So I looked back. "What?", I asked. You gave me that boyish grin that I got used to seeing everyday before. "Nothing."
 
"Oh please Lee Donghae, I know there's something. Tell me.", I said after opening the front door. We walked in, took our shoes off and headed to the living room.
 
You hugged me by my waist and sat down the sofa, with me on your lap. "So?", I asked while looking at you.
 
"So what?", you looked back, kissing the tip of my nose lightly.
 
"What were you thinking awhile ago?", I nuzzled my fave on your neck. You chuckled, I pinched your arm.
 
"I told you, it's nothing."
 
I looked at you and started standing up. You held my waist, pulled me down. Your face on the crook of my neck. "Alright Alright. Well.. I was just gonna say that."
 
"That what?"
 
"That.. Plot twist Hyuk, after all those years.. I never really left you in the first place. Didn't I?", you looked up, I leaned down and kissed your lips. "Yeah. Plot twist."
 
 

END

 

 

 

A/N: Finally! I'm done /dances crazily/ I am truly and deeply sorry if this didn't meet your expectation. I did my best but I guess my best wasn't good enough. Lol. I also wanna say sorry because it took me a long time to update this fic and all I gave you in return for you wait is a super mainstream, messy and ugly fic. I am deeply sorry. 

Tell me what you think? :) Okay? THANK YOU FOR SUBSCRIBING AND COMMENTING! :D You won't see me writing another fic. Hahahaha.