The Bridge

The Bridge

Just another world away, a girl sits.  Here she waits, for someone.  The water ripples in places and the trees rustle with a light breeze.  Because the sun shines, she closes her eyes to enjoy it.  The flowers are light in color, just barely blooming, and the sounds of the lake ade the air.  The girl still takes it in.  She lightly inhales the soft sweet scent of drying grass, fading flowers and cool water.  Some faint birds are heard, just above the little gurgle of a tiny brook.  Yet she sits.  Alone.  She takes in her fill of the place, sitting on a bridge that reaches out over the lake, connecting two sides, her two worlds.  The fine gravel of the bridge scrapes and grumbles, clinging to her.  She is yet the one girl, one human, who sits here, has sat here.  She still waits. Sighs. Her time is limited and she worries.  A boy then, dark hair and glowing skin, sits in front of her, waiting for her.  Her eyes are still closed.  A soft voice is carried on the wind toward her.  A faint memory.  She curves her lips and peers at the boys, relieved.  Their eyes, identical in emotion, gaze at each other, sitting in simple joy upon their sight.  He smiles as well.  They both sit cross-legged, a small distance away from each other, not touching.  It remains as such for a length of time.  The only sound being the water.  It is enough, for now.  Soon it is too much for both.  They reach out to each other, bringing up their hands.  This routine, so rehearsed.  Their palms up, they come closer.  The hands are almost touching.  The boy and the girl hold their breath in anticipation, the woods, the lake, they all wait, they all watch.  It is a single moment in time, a pause in the fabric of life.  It builds up.  The boy and girl glance longingly, sadly at each other, one last look.  Their fingers are a breath away, and the girl is back.  She no longer sees the boy.  She is alone.  He is no longer.  And tears like diamonds cascade from her eyes, onto a ground which is not the bridge.  In a wood that no longer has the lake.  The sun streams one mournful ray onto the crying girl, and the world breathes again, he leaves again.