The breakup of a friendship

The breakup of a friendship

 

Your POV

Our time spent together was getting less and less with every passing day. Was it you or was it me who distanced ourselves from each other? Maybe it was both. This small dilemma confuses me. What happened to best friends forever?

Maybe I was foolish to believe that someone as kind as you would be my friend. You are far better than me. I am but a helpless, pessimistic, anti-social teenager who wouldn’t even know how to start a conversation with someone I’ve barely known. You on the other hand are friendly, optimistic and a reliable friend. Who wouldn’t want to be friends with you?

Days soon turned into weeks which then will turn into months which will then turn into years. All of our precious times together would be nothing but memories, all the good and bad.

A tear escaped my eye as I gazed into the yearbook that was always given at the end of every school year. You and I were inseparable, at first. Then you started hanging out with ‘them’. We spent less time together; the stories of our daily lives were not shared as often as before.

In just a few months, you have a new best friend and me? I am left in the dust, surrounded by the sound of loneliness and despair. I snapped the yearbook shut, got up from my crouching position and went to my backyard; my spring cleaning will have to wait.

I sat on my hammock, trying to balance myself before laying on it completely. The strings were attached to two trees, similar to those in the countryside. My neighbors do not mind, in fact, because of this hammock my relationship with them got closer.

I sighed and relaxed, the hammock swinging left and right in a repeated motion, creating a warm and soft breeze which caressed my skin. I hummed a random pop song that was stuck in my head, only to realize that my ex-best friend and I used to sing that song together.

It was a lovely memory; we were having so much fun, just the two of us. Unknowingly, my cheeks were already wet when I tried to rest my right arm on my forehead. I wiped my cheeks furiously, denying the fact that I just cried. My eyes fluttered open, only to see the blurry shape of branches and leaves. I blinked once, twice. The image became clearer and I was able to see the sunlight that sneaked its way through all the leaves and branches.

A vibration was felt on my thigh. It was my Samsung Galaxy S3 in my right pocket. I forgot I had set it on vibrate. I unlocked the password and went to the notification bar. It was a Facebook update. From my ex- best friend.

It had said ‘Now having fun at the bowling alley with my best friends!’

Didn't we used to go there every Saturday? I checked my phone for the date and day. Saturday, 23rd March 2013. (A/N : I just made that up)

Oh how my heart ached at that sentence. I could almost hear my heart shattering into a million pieces, unable to repair. More tears slipped pass my eyes, the wet substance reached my ears and some latched itself on my hair. My right arm automatically went to my eyes, trying to prevent more waterworks from spilling but failed indubitably.

The memories we shared came flooding down my brain, not even missing one moment when we were best friends. What had happened to our once beautiful friendship? Was it I who is at fault? Or is the blame all yours? My heart and mind can’t handle this held back feeling I felt.

Jung Daehyun, you don't know how much you've effected my life.

Gradually, my sniffling and sobs had subsided and my eyes were probably bloodshot from all the tears I let out. I felt drowsy and let sleep take over me, little by little. My arm was still on my eyes while my left hand was clutching onto my phone like my life depended on it.

My grasp was gently loosened as sleep filled my system, taking me to the land of dreams where no heartbreak could haunt me, no hurtful memories to remember, no indignant felt, only bliss and happiness.

For now.