Chapter 8

Our Not-so-happy Life

“Hey...”

She met his eyes. It was him. Her prediction was true. She now realize that the date she’ll be with for this night is no other than Kim Kibum.

That Kim Kibum from SHINee.

 Her best friend.

“THANK YOU!” she leaped into his arms and hugged him to death.

‘She must be thanking me for the dress...’ he thought.

Key started choking. (Although he liked the thought that Yoona was hugging him.).

“Y-You...R-ready?” said Key as he tried to catch his breath.

“Yep!” said Yoona giddily as the two linked arms and hopped into the limo.

They finally arrived to their destination. It was a big party hall and all Yoona could see were spectacular dresses and elite people.

“Key...Why are we here?” she whispered to him.

“Well...I don’t know. Just think of it as a prom...” said Key as he held her hand and walked to the door.

They were the best of friends. Well, Yoona thought. But deep inside, Key, he admired Yoona since they were in diapers. But he thinks that he doesn’t have a chance on her and she won’t mind if he is holding her hand.

“Remember, if anyone asks, I’m your boyfriend.” mumbled Key to Yoona.

He could feel her scream but he tightened his grip on her, causing her to calm down.

“WHAT?! Are you out of your mind?!” whispered Yoona in a scream-like tone.

“Well, the note said: Be my date.” replied Key quietly.

Yoona pouted. She held his hand tighter when they encountered a familiar figure.

When the mysterious person turned around, it turned out to be Nicole, Key’s stalker.

Nicole was surprised that Key would be here. “Omo! Key Oppa! It’s so lovely to see you tonight!” Nicole greeted Key with her signature smile.

Key raised a brow. “It’s...nice...to...see you too...” said Key awkwardly as he showed his hand linked to Yoona’s.

Now, Nicole was the one who raised a brow. “Who is she, Key Oppa?” asked Nicole as she crossed her arms below her chest.

“Oh...This is Yoona, my girlfriend...”  replied Key, emphasizing on the last words.

‘My Girlfriend...’ thought Key as he smiled to himself.

 “Hey, Nicole, we’re just going to the food bar, okay?” said Key as he turned away with Yoona.

He then placed an arm around Yoona’s small (but y) waist and it made her shiver in excitement.

“Key...Who’s that?” asked Yoona as soon as they arrived in the food bar.

“Who’s who?”

“That girl you talked to awhile ago...”

“Oh, that’s Nicole, my stalker...” replied Key as he placed a sushi on his plate.

“That’s weird...” mumbled Yoona.

“I know...”

Yoona and Key settled down on their reserved table and for the whole night, Yoona was quiet and quite uncomfortable with the surroundings.

“She’s coming...” whispered Yoona.

“Huh?”

When Nicole was nearing up to them, Yoona fed Key with sushi. She smiled at Key, signaling that Nicole can see them. Key finally got her and he then fed her too.

Finally, when they were done eating, Yoona earned some confidence now. She received lots of compliments from people saying that “She’s very beautiful!” or “Key must be a very lucky guy!”.

Those compliments made her blush because the truth is, she does like Key.

As the night was going deeper, they enjoyed the time of their lives. Key was very happy and Yoona was deeply in love.

But, that’s until Nicole ruined the night.

Everyone gasped at the sight.

Nicole was kissing Key right on the LIPS.

When Yoona arrived from the comfort room, she was just in time to see the two kissing.

Nicole pulled back from the kiss. “Oh, Hey Yoona!” she waved with her little fingers.

“Don’t you ‘Hi Yoona!’ me! How dare you kiss Key?!” asked Yoona out of anger.

“Why do you care?!” said Nicole as she smirked.

“Coz he’s MY BOYFRIEND!” yelled Yoona as she dragged Key to her side.

Nicole chuckled. “Silly Yoona! She’s not your boyfriend. He’s mine already.”

“He’s NOT yours!”

“Who told you?!”

“Me...”

A strange guy was heard from afar. The crowd split into two and the guy came passing by.

“Nic, stop stalking Key. You have me, remember?”

“…Hong…Ki?” stuttered Nicole.

He moved one step forward and she ran into his arms.

 “Oppa…I thought you left me?!” stated Nicole as she hugged him tightly, not even caring about who sees this.

“I was looking for you at the States and all those years, I’ve wanted to be with you…” said Hongki as he pulled away from the hug to see her dazzling eyes.

“I missed you so much, Oppa…” said Nicole softly as Hongki carried her bridal-style.

He bowed slightly to the two with an apologetic expression.

“Mianhae, Key, Yoona. She must be really drunk. I’m sorry…” he then proceeded to his car and drove Nicole home.

“Key, I’ll just go outside…” said Yoona.

Key nodded. Now, other girls were talking to him. He then thought that this party was no fun without his princess. He soon bid goodbye to the guests and proceeded outside and found her Cinderella, sitting on a bench. Her elbows were plopped to her knees while her hand supported her head.

“Bored?” asked Key.

Yoona stood up and ignored him.

Before making a move, Key pulled her arm. “Hey…”

“What?!”

When Key saw Yoona’s face, he quickly lightened up his grip on her arm.

“Are you…okay?” he asked.

Yoona pulled back her arm. “Do I look okay?”

She then walked fast. He didn’t even move a muscle. He just gazed at her petite hips, swaying from left to right while walking with her high heels.

Unfortunately, Yoona tripped on a rock and twisted her ankle. Now was the time when Key rushed to her.

“Ouch!” screamed Yoona.

“Does it hurt?” asked the concerned Key.

“Of course, it hurts! Just leave me alone!” things were now getting annoying to Yoona.

He quickly took off her shoes and carried her piggy-back style.

“What are you doing?” asked the confused Yoona.

“I’m going to carry you home.” said Key as he walked on by.

“YAH! You left my shoes!” reminded Yoona as she continued seeing her shoes fading away while they, while he walks.

“I’ll just buy you a new one, Arasseo? We need to fix your ankle first.” He said the sentence straight-forwardly.

For that, Yoona just shut and the rest of the walk was quiet. Yoona was happy that Key’s concerned with her but then, she was disappointed because she thought that she was too heavy for him. Since Yoona’s house was a bit far, and the night was late, she decided to sleep in his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck and cuddled herself to feel his warmth.

“Kibum, am I heavy?” said Yoona calmly and sleepily.

“Not that much…” said Key softly so as not to startle her.

After a couple of minutes, they finally arrived to their destination.

When Key was about to leave, she called him softly.

“Kibum…”

Key looked back and saw Yoona going out of balance. She swiftly fell into his arms and he carried her again, remembering that she needed to go to the elevator since her house was just an apartment in some random building.

“Press 18.” stated Yoona as she wrapped her arms around his neck again.

He then followed her instructions. After going out of the elevator, she inserted her cardkey and the door opened. He made her sit on her couch and when he was about to leave, she then stopped him again.

“Kibum…”

“Hmm?”

“Please stay with me…” mumbled Yoona.

Key smiled softly as he went back to her place.

“Do you want me to carry you to your bed?” asked Key with a smile.

Yoona nodded. They went inside her bedroom and he was amazed. The room was filled with pictures of him and her from childhood up to present.

“Woah…” Key gazed at the pictures on the wall.

“Kibum…I’ll just change myself into pajamas, kay? So…Would you…Mind…?” said Yoona shyly.

“Oh, sure…I’ll just wait in the living room.” said Key as he closed the door.

He plopped himself on her couch and many thoughts ran through his mind.

‘Hmm…Pictures, eh?’

After a while, Key heard her angelic voice again. “Key! I’m done…You can come here now…” said Yoona in a louder voice so that he could hear it.

Key knocked on the door thrice and opened it. He then saw a sitting Yoona wearing a cute pajama pants and a pink top.

“That’s cute…” commented Key.

Yoona patted an area near her, signaling him to sit beside her. He sat down and gazed at her.

‘Even in pajamas, she still looks cute…’ thought Key.

Yoona kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you…”

He was startled by her actions but nevertheless, he loved it.

“For what?”

“For everything…” said Yoona sleepily.

She placed her head on his shoulder and the next thing Key knew was, he saw her sleeping quietly on his shoulders.

He placed her on her bed and he sneaked out of the house to get clothes in his own apartment.

After half an hour, he went inside her bedroom with a plaid pajama set he wore while walking to her apartment.

Yoona groaned. “Key…?” mumbled Yoona as she rubbed her eyes.

“Sleep more…”

“Sleep beside me, oppa…” said Yoona in a hush tone.

He laid his head down and soon, he and Yoona dozed off to dreamland.

“Good night, Yoon…” said Key.

“Good night, oppa…”

‘I love you.’