Manyak

This Must Be Love

 

Gerald reached his condo that night with mixed emotions. He never thought he would see Kim again, especially in such circumstances. She was still the same hardworking, driven and extremely organized person he has known way back, only more mature.

 

And beautiful, even more.

 Pero hanggang ngayon, impakto pa din ang tawag at tingin ni Kim sa kanya. She still had that spunk.

 He smiled at the thought. How could he forget?

 

But it was such an unexpected meeting that he was totally taken aback at first. Kim’s mouth was like a machine gun before he can even say anything. It was only at the end that he was able to redeem himself. He would have loved to look back and see what her reaction was when she read his business card but walking away was the best thing he could do because had he stayed a second longer, Kim would have been able to regain her composure and he never would win.

 

 

“What are you doing?!” Kim asked in horror as she was handcuffed by one of the students and was led to one of the booths. She was in third year then and it was their high school fair. “Teka lang sandali!” She tried to get away.

 

“Sorry Miss, napag utusan lang po.” The student who was wearing eye glasses smiled at her.

 

Before she knew it, they were already in front of the Shirt Heart Booth.

 

“Oh no!” Kim said out loud. “Hindi pwede to!” She started her protest over again.

 

“Kunyari ka pa dyan, gustong-gusto mo naman!” She heard a familiar voice say. Kim turned to her left and there was Gerald, also in handcuffs.

 

“Anong gusto ang pinagsasabi mo dyan?”

 

Gerald flashed him a devilish smile. “I’m sure you’re not too opposed to be in one shirt with me.” He winked.

 

“Ewwwww!!!! I am very much opposed.” Kim let out a heavy sigh and started to talk with the one that was in charge in the booth. “Excuse me Miss but I don’t go for this kind of thing. Lalong-lalo na kung itong impaktong to ang magiging kasama ko! Yuck!”

 

The senior student stood up and smiled at both Kim and Gerald.

 

“Well, may choice naman kayo. You were supposed to be in that giant shirt…” She said pointing to the oversized t-shirt that would fit two persons. “Its very simple, kailangan nyo lang na ikutin ng tatlong beses ang fair grounds habang nasa loob kayo niyan. Yun lang!” She sounded as if it were really very simple.

 

But it was not that simple to Kim.

 

Being that close to Gerald would spell disaster.

 

“Anong simple?” She looked at the girl and then back at Gerald. “It is going to be a disaster! For all I know, ikaw ang may pakana nito ano?”

 

Gerald had that stupid grin on his face before he answered. “Ako? Ako pinagbibintangan mo? Itong gwapong to na pinag-aagawan ng buong student body? Pagbibintangan mo na ako ang may pakana na makasama ka sa shirt heart? Wow! Ang tindi mo naman!”

 

“Ang kapal ng mukha mo! Wag mong lahatin dahil ako ang unang-unang hindi makikipag-agawan kung sayo din lang.” Kim turned to face the girl in charge, hoping to really get out of this mess. “Miss, I am ready to face any consequences. Kahit ano, gagawin ko! Wag ko lang makasama ang impaktong to!”

 

The girl couldn’t help but laugh out loud. Even the other students who could hear the conversation joined in the laughter.

 

Some of their classmates who were crowding the booth didn’t help either.

 

“Naku Gerald! Wala ka talaga! Kahit anong gawin mo hinid ka papasa kay Kim!” They teased.

 

“Mga pare, pakipot lang to! For all we know, ito pa mismo ang nagbayad makasama lang ako!” He leaned in close to Kim and whispered, “You know what, hindi mo na naman kailangang magbayad pa eh, all you have to do is tell me. Kahit saan mo pa gusto.” He winked again.

 

“Arrrggh!!! Nakakainis ka talaga!!!!” Kim slumped her feet to the ground. “Miss, anong gagawin ko kung ayoko talaga?”

 

“Well, the consequence would be…you are going to kiss Gerald here, on the forehead, the cheeks or the nose! Take your pick!”

 

Kim felt the world spinning. Did she hear it right?

 

The choices didn’t really feel like they were choices.

 

If she would choose to be in the giant shirt, she would have to endure three rounds of walking around the school with her mortal enemy but if she choose not to, then she would have to face the consequence of kissing him on the forehead, the cheek or the nose!

 

Life is unfair!

 

“O ano, Kim?” Gerald edged.

 

“Wag mo akong kausapin!”

 

“Ako kahit ano, okay lang sa kin!” Gerald's grin was now from ear to ear.

 

“Miss, please. Magbabayad ako kahit na magkano.” Kim pleaded once more. “Just let me out of here.”

 

“Sorry Miss, rules are rules. And this is the school fair, everyone must be a sport.”

 

“Tama ba tong vice president ng Student Council na ibinoto natin?” Gerald said out loud, calling the attention of more students. “Kung siya mismo eh aayaw kahit sa ganito lang? Parang hindi naman tama di’ba?”

 

“Oo nga!” The whole crowd shouted in unison.

 

Kim felt as if she was being cheated.

 

She didn’t want the students to think that she wasn’t a good sport. Most of all, she didn’t want Gerald to think that it mattered to her anyhow if they were going to be together in one shirt. After all, she started to convince herself, it is all going to be just a part of the school fair. It is just a game, plain and simple.

 

 

 

 

But Kim wasn’t exactly sure if she made the right decision when she agreed to be in the shirt heart. All she knew was that, she could never do the consequences presented to her. She figured that in the shirt heart, granted that they had to go around the school, she had a choice not to talk. She told herself that she would never say a word but just walk and walk until it will all be over.

 

But that wasn’t an easy choice either because Gerald made her life miserable.

 

He was the one that kept on talking and talking and it annoyed her so much.

 

“Alam mo, okay din tong idea na naisip nila.” Gerald ranted. “Imagine, ito ka ngayon, kasama mo na ako!”

 

Kim pretended not to hear what he just said and rolled her eyes.

 

“Pwede ba akong magtanong, ano bang ginawa ko sa’yo at lagi ka na lang galit sa kin?”

 

Kim didn’t say anything.

 

“Alam mo ba kung anong araw ngayon? Friday, right? Sabi ng Yaya ko dati, kapag Friday daw, maraming nagaganap na kabababalaghan.” His voice was rather squeaky. “Sige ka, mahipan ka ng masamang hangin dyan, tuluyan ka ng maging pipi!”

 

They started to walk the second round. Kim could not wait for it to be over.

 

“Mabilaukan ka sana sa kakasalita mo!” She thought to herself.

 

“Siguro may crush ka sa akin ano?” Gerald said out loud that Kim almost tripped.

 

“Pwede ba tigilan mo na nga ako! Hindi kasali sa idea na kailangan kitang kausapin kaya pwede ba, maglakad ka na lang at nang matapos na to!” Her eyes squinted at him.

 

“Uyyy! Nagsalita! So crush mo nga ako?”

 

Kim stopped abruptly. “Alam mo, manhid ka eh. Galit ako sayo dahil wala ka ng ginawa sa buhay ko, mula noong elementary pa tayo, hanggang ngayon, kungdi kulitin at inisin ako! So don’t you ever accuse me of having a crush on you! Never!”

 

“Ouch! Ang sakit naman nun!” Gerald held his chest with his free hand.

 

Kim started to walk again. Gerald could do nothing but keep up with her.

 

“Dahan-dahan naman, para kang hindi dalaga kung maglakad eh, let’s enjoy the moment!” Gerald even more.

 

“Wala akong planong mag enjoy na kasama ka…”

 

In her attempt to walk fast, her right foot hit a small rock and before she knew it, they were already tumbling to the ground.

 

“Kim!” She heard him say.

 

Kim landed with her back to the ground, Gerald was right on top of her.

 

 

“Ewwwww! Get away from me! Get your hands off me!” She screamed deliriously. “Manyak! Manyak!”

 

Before Gerald could realize their position, Kim was already pushing him but since they were in one shirt, somehow, he accidentally brushed her left with his left hand. He could see the redness in Kim’s face.

 

“Manyak ka talaga!!! Get off me!” She screamed even more. She had never been so humiliated in all her life and it didn’t help that a lot of students saw what just happened. Kim hoped that the earth would just swallow her whole right that instant.

 

“Kim, sorry. Hindi ko sinasadya…” Gerald helped her get up.

 

She didn’t know how she managed to free her right hand and slapped Gerald right in front of everyone.