The Wedding

This Must Be Love

It was half past four in the afternoon and everything was all set for the wedding that would start in thirty minutes time. The breeze was just right for a perfect beach wedding. Although the sun hid behind the clouds, it showed no signs that it was going to rain. The wind was blowing just fine which sent forth the sweet fragrance of the flowers that were all around the place.

 

The flowers, was set according to the wish of the bride. They were pretty roses that came in pink, lavender, yellow and white. The whole place was quiet and serene except for the little chitchats that a few people around were making. The small waves only added a romantic feel to the event that was going to take place.

 

The Groom was without any doubt, happy and excited for the biggest day of his life. He was exchanging pleasantries with his parents who stood by his side. The whole wedding entourage was happy and full of anticipation.

 

Everything and everyone was all set, except for one.

 

The bride was still nowhere in sight.

 

 

With less than a few minutes to the scheduled time, Kim Chiu, who has been a professional wedding planner for about four years, was already seething quietly but elegantly at the sidelines. This has never happened before.

 

Her cellphone rang and it told her that it was her bestfriend and business partner at the other end of the line.

 

“Hello Neyns?” She said upon pressing the answer key. “It’s almost five o’clock. Asan na kayo?”

 

“Kapatid, we have a problem.” Neyna’s voice was likewise worried. “Wala pa dito yung bridal car!”

 

Kim’s eyebrows furrowed. “”What? Anong nangyari?”

 

“I don’t know. I’ve been trying to call the rental company and the designated driver himself. On the way na daw.”

 

“We really should have made arrangements with the usual company.” Kim ranted out rather impatiently.

 

“I’m sorry Dear, in case you forgot, nagsarado na lang bigla yung suki natin.” Neyna started to laugh a bit in her attempt to lighten up the situation. “Actually, its kind of your fault…”

 

“My fault?”

 

“Yep! Kung hindi mo kasi binasted si Lawrence, hindi sana yun biglang nag decide na umalis ng Pilipinas. Kawawa naman, the guy went back to the States with an emotional baggage and a broken heart, thanks to you.”

 

“Ah so kasalanan ko pa pala ngayon kung bakit mukhang magiging late talaga ang wedding na to!” Kim laughed at the same time.

 

Lawrence was the owner of the car rental company that I Do Weddings used to contact for their events. Neyna was right about the “basted” thing but Kim could not force herself to say yes to Lawrence even though he was courting her for who knows how long. There was just no sparks between the two of them and friendship was all she could offer him.

 

She only heard a giggle from her bestfriend.

 

Checking her watch again, she realized that it was already 4:50. There was no chance for this wedding to start according to its schedule. “You know  what, we really shouldn’t be talking about that anymore, especially not this time. Palubog na ang araw at yung ring bearer, mukhang malapit nang maglupasay sa sobrang inip.”

 

“Okay, I’m sorry. Don’t worry, we can pull this through.” Neyna assured her. “Wait, may incoming call ako, baka ito na yun.”

 

Kim ended the call and her lips like she usually does when she's nervous or worried. She decided to talk to the groom and his parents and try to make them understand why the wedding ceremony was going to be late.

 

“It’s okay, Dear!” The mother of the groom said after she explained. “Fiteen minutes or so wouldn’t really matter that much. Itong mga to kasi,” She looked to her son on her left, “Dito pa sa pinakaliblib na yata na beach ng Pilipinas naisipang magpakasal.”

 

They all laughed together. Even if she was a bit relieved that her clients were not angry about the situation, it still doesn’t feel right. She was used to being so on time, ready and all prepared. For the record, this was really the first time.

 

Twenty minutes later, Kim caught sight of Neyna who was almost running to her direction.

 

“We’re here!” She said, gasping for air.

 

“Thanks goodness.” She answered with a sigh of relief. “Ano ba ang sabi ng driver at mukhang hindi talaga siya late dumating!”

 

“Nahirapan daw hanapin yung hotel…”

 

Kim rolled her eyes in disbelief. “Didn’t we give them a map with directions? Naku, mabuti na lang mabait yung parents ng guy pero kapatid, for the first time in our track record, ngayon lang tayo naging behind the scheduled time.”

 

“Okay na yan, ang importante, nandito na.” Neyna looked around. “This lugar is so liblib ha! Ang dami naman resorts pero dito talaga?” She smiled. “Oh well, bride’s wishes.”

 

“And the customer is always right!” Kim seconded.

 

“Don’t worry kapatid.” Neyna smiled back at her. “This won’t happen again.”

 

“Ay talagang hindi na! Dahil this would be the first and the last time that we are going to do business with this car rental company! Naipit lang talaga tayo ngayon kaya we had no choice.” She said, disappointment was obvious in her voice.

 

 

Neyna proceeded to assist the entourage while Kim went to the bridal car to check the bride and gave her last minute instructions. She was dressed in a white off shoulder gown that just fell below her knees. It was a simple outfit that she chose because she didn’t want to overdo and look like a bride. White was just the only color that the bride and groom wanted all their guests and entourage to wear to this event. But she looked sparkling nonetheless, with her long and shiny hair falling down. She looked ethereal even.

The bride was with her father and her sister, who was the maid of honor at the backseat of a top down vintage white Volkswagen Beetle.  After giving them the final instructions for the wedding march, she let them out. It was only then that she caught sight of the driver who was outside of the car, talking to someone on the phone.

 

She wanted to talk to him, reprimand him even for being late and all but she opted not to. Maybe she can do that later, after the wedding. She went with the bride to where the ceremony would take place.

 

 

“I know pronounce you, Husband and Wife! You may now kiss the bride.” The priest announced. cheers can be heard all over the place, it was a wonderful ceremony. The bride and groom were in tears. Everyone was happy on how it turned out. Neyna and Kim were both relieved that it was finally done.

 

Now they have the reception to take care of.

 

At least that was what Neyna was thinking.

 

As for Kim, she has another “business” in mind to take care of.

 

 

She purposely asked her bestfriend to look after the reception and make sure that everything was alright. She had to excuse herself.

 

 

“Excuse me…” She said to the driver who was still talking to someone over the phone. “Kailangan po kitang makausap.”

 

When he turned to face her, she had the shock of her life.

 

It has been what, about ten years since the last time she saw him.  Ten long years but she still remembers.

 

“Ikaw?!” She blurted out loud. “What are you doing here?”

 

But even before the driver had the chance to answer, Kim immediately raised her right hand in front of him to stop him from speaking.

 

“Don’t bother to answer. I know exactly why you are here! Nandito ka na naman para inisin ako at guluhin ang buhay ko. Small world nga naman talaga at sa dinadami dami ng car rental company na pwede naming I contact, ito pa! At sobrang malas ko naman talaga at ikaw pa ang pinadalang driver!” She had both of her hands on her waist already.

 

“Sandali lang..hayaan mo naman akong mag explain…”

 

Kim let out an exasperated sigh. “Mr. Anderson. Look.” She finally managed to lower down her voice. They were in a wedding reception after all. She couldn’t even say his name but at the back of her mind, she still remembers. “Don’t waste any more of my time with your explanations. Now that I found out na ikaw ang driver, I don’t wonder why naging late kayo and all…”

 

Stopping herself for what she was about to say, she walked a few steps away from him, trying to collect and calm herself.

 

“Knowing you…” She added almost in a whisper.

 

 

“Manong Luis,  hindi pa po ba tayo aalis?” Twelve year old Kim asked the school bus driver. “Malapit na pong mag seven thirty. Male-late na po kami…”

 

“Sandali na lang iha. Palabas na daw si Gerald.”

 

Kim looked out of the bus to the house in front of them. She could not see Gerald but her mind was already fuming mad. It was always like this since Gerald transferred to their school and neighborhood.

 

“Manong, may test pa po kami ngayon!” Another student her age said to the driver whom they fondly call Manong.

 

The man could only scratch the back of his head before going out of the bus to check for his last remaining passenger.

 

Three minutes later, they both came out of the house. Manong Luis was carrying Gerald’s school bag and his lunch box. Gerald climbed up first.

 

“Salamat naman at dumating ka na po!” Kim said while rolling her eyes. “Next time sana, gumising ka ng mas maaga para hindi kami nag-aantay sa'yo ng matagal…”

 

Gerald then took the seat beside her. It was too late for Kim, she was thinking of switching places with one of their classmates but she had always wanted the seat by the window. Her usual seatmate, Carla, was down with the flu and could not make it to school.

 

“Hindi pa naman tayo late ah!” Gerald had the guts to reason out. “Saka magaling mag drive si Manong at mabilis kaya hindi pa rin tayo male-late…” He sounded as if they didn’t wait for him for a long time.

 

“Hindi yan excuse!” Kim clenched her fists. “Manong Luis, tayo na nga po!”

 

 

 

 

Before their teacher came in, Kim opened her notes and tried to review for the test. Every minute was gold to her. It was going to be their finals soon and every test means a lot to her. She was vying for Class Valedictorian and she wanted to have that. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

“Kim!” Gerald shouted to her ears. He was seated right behind her.

 

“Aray!!!” Bakit mo ba ako sinisigawan!” She said covering her ears.

 

“Pahiram ako ng notes mo!” Gerald caught a hold of her notebook even before she could protest.

 

Kim tried her best to take it from him. “Ano ba, akin na nga yang notes ko! Nagbabasa yung tao eh!”

 

“Sandali lang!”

 

“Grrrr!!!!” Kim got up of her seat and turned to Gerald. “Bakit ka ba nakikiaalam sa notes ng may notes!”

 

“Hindi ako nakapag copy kahapon, wala akong ballpen!”

 

Kim didn’t know if she was going to get angry or would laugh at his reason of not being able to jot down notes.

 

This time, the former prevailed.

 

“Ha ha ha!” pursed her lips to the corner. “Nakakatawa! Hindi ko na kasalanan kung may ballpen ka o wala! Akin na yang notebook ko!”

 

In her attempt to take away the notebook from Gerald’s hand and his attempt to keep it, it was ripped.

 

“Ano ba! Ayan pinunit mo pa!” She almost cried at the sight of her torn notebook. The one she carefully took care of since the beginning of the school year. She had it neatly covered and her penmanship was always good and clear. She uses black ink and red to highlight an important part.

 

“Anong ako? Ikaw kaya tong pilit yang kinukuha sa kin!”

 

Gerald was laughing out loud.

 

Kim could not believe it.

 

“At pinagtatawanan mo pa ngayon! Nakuuu!!!! Impakto ka talaga sa buhay ko!” Kim was already crying that she was already yelling at him.

 

But Gerald acted as if he heard nothing.

 

Kim could only go back to her seat and sob.

 

 

“Kim sandali lang!” Gerald’s voice brought her back to the present.

 

At kilala pa din pala ako ng impaktong to!  Kim thought to herself.

 

“Eh ang hirap naman kasing hanapin ng hotel na yun eh!” Gerald said referring to the hotel where the bride chose as her dressing place. “Wala bang aswang sa lugar na to? Masyadong malayo!”

 

Kim bit her lower lip and turned to him.

 

“Walang aswang dito, pero ang hari ng mga impakto eh nandito mismo sa harap ko!” She looked at him like a fierce lion looking at its next victim.

 

“Hahaha!!!!” Gerald couldn’t help but laugh. “Hanggang ngayon ba impakto pa rin ang tingin at tawag mo sa akin?”

 

“At hindi na magbabago yun kahit kailan!”

 

“Napaka gwapo ko naman yatang impakto!” Gerald said matter-of-factly.

 

“Ang kapal ng mukha mo!” Kim could only care less if some people could overhear their conversation.  “Mabuti na lang at hindi kita pinatulan noon dahil driver lang pala ang babagsakan mo ngayon!”

 

“Alam mo, gumaganda ka ngayon. Kaya lang masungit ka pa din. Yun ang hindi nagbabago sayo.”

 

“It’s none of your business! At excuse me matagal na akong maganda!” Kim’s head was already throbbing. If she was going to talk with Gerald still, she was really going to get sick in no time. “Speaking of business, this would be the first and the last time that we are going to do business with you!”

 

“Bakit naman?”

 

“Nagtanong ka pa! Wag mo na akong lalong inisin pa kung ayaw mong i- report kita sa boss mo at ng mawalan ka ng trabaho!”

 

He did not answer. Kim took it as a sign that she was winning this whole thing.

 

Gerald shook his head. She was still the same Kim after all these years. But he was enjoying their banters, he actually missed this.

 

“Sure! Sige magsumbong ka!” He took out a business card from his wallet. “O eto pa yung calling card, tawagan mo kaya agad!” He took Kim’s right hand and planted the card on her palm.

 

And with that, he walked out grinning from ear to ear.

 

“Grrrr!!!!” Kim wanted to tear the card into pieces but before she could do it, she caught sight of what was written.

 

 

JOYRIDE

Car Rentals

 

197 Wilson St., Greenhills, San Juan

Contact Nos. 584-1427 | 0917-JOYRIDE (5697433)

 

 

Mr. Gerald Anderson

Owner and Proprietor

 

She could not believe what she just read. She had to read it again but it was still the same. Kim looked up but could not tell where Gerald had gone to.

 

She was left speechless.