Chapter 2

Stardust and Sequins

Boys will be boys; was the first thought that came into her mind, eyes squinted for a clearer view of a tall figure, cheering and waving his hands frantically, chanting what she assumed was her name. He was battling with his companion who apparently was trying to pull him down, probably to prevent him from embarrassing himself.

 

Her eyes brighten up at the scene, remembering the last standing ovation received months ago. A chuckle escaped between the heavy pants, as she stretched herself up, exiting the stage as soon as the choreographer gave her a sign. It had been awhile since she last stood on a stage. Though her past experiences were in theater, but the adrenaline rush, the deafening heartbeats before a performance and the overwhelming feeling once it was over were still the same; blissful.

 

“Wow. That was amazing” the girl in shoulder length strawberry blonde hair greeted her as soon as Victoria stepped down from the elevated stage. She was one of the earlier contestants, bubbly personality, brighter smile, performing to a fast beat “It seems you got yourself a fan there” referring to the earlier cheering scene. She then added with a wink “Both are celebrities.”

 

“They are?” curious, Victoria stood on her toes to check the duo once again, giving out a small smile. She then turned around towards the girl; extended her hands gracefully “I’m Song Qian. You’re Jia right? Your dance was beautiful. You were so fast; I could not catch the steps at all”

 

The girl’s smile grew wider as she slides her arms around Victoria’s shoulder “Nah, it was nothing compared to yours” she gave a small nudged “I really want the spot, but if I loose it to you, I’ll accept it.” Her smile was genuine, a rare scene for a dance competition. Jia pouted playfully as she adds; leading Victoria to their seats “I just need to improve further. Song Qian is a Chinese name right?”

 

She was indeed thankful for Jia’s warm nature, smiling earnestly to her new friend “My mom is Chinese while my dad is Korean. Song Qian is my stage name. Friends call me Victoria”

 

“I shall do the same” she announced proudly. Pulling her down onto their seats, Jia returned to the earlier topic “How confident are you that you’ll be the one chosen as their dancer?”

 

Victoria pushed her long fringe back, redoing her ponytail as she quipped “I doubt think they can make a decision just by that one dance.” The chair squeaked as she stretched her long legs straight affront as she settles in.

 

Sitting next to each other, slightly afar from the rest of the worried looking girls, Jia leaned closer and asked “Have you check any of Nichkhun previous concerts video? I’m in love with his abs” hands clasped together, giggling like a school girl.

 

She was never a fan of pop, and growing up listening to classics drew her further from mainstream music in general. But thanks to the Korean wave spreading like wildfire worldwide, Victoria was forced to acknowledge the music when her fellow Julliard classmates kept on harassing her about Kpop. Unfortunately, she only knew a few big names and Nichkhun was not one of them “Sorry, I have yet to see any of his concert’s video” Victoria admitted with a low voice.

 

“Seriously?” Jia dramatically gasped at the confession “Have you heard of Nichkhun before?”

 

Victoria’s eyes fell on the figure mentioned, carefully observing the messy caramel-colored haired guy. He was taller than the average Korean guys, but not lanky. Definitely buffed, probably hiding his muscular build beneath his oversized jersey “Is he into hip hop?” she asked as her eyes followed the figure around, noting the fair skin molding the handsome face. At that moment, Nichkhun was very much occupied with the other judges.   

 

“Why do you say that?” Jia asked, tilting her head as she observed the guy.

 

“Coz he dressed like one”

 

Jia laughed at her answer “That’s stereotyping. He does have few upbeat dance songs, but he’s more into R&B in general.”

 

“That’s a relief. Coz I doubt I can dance a hip hop number. Bet you excel in it though” Victoria elbowed Jia, signaling for her to stop ogling the idol “Your drools are wetting the floor.”

 

Jia took a moment longer to digest Victoria’s words “Victoria, are you saying that you tried for this audition without knowing anything about it?” Jia turned her attentions towards her new friend “Not even the type of dance skill or music that they required?”

 

Victoria felt so small under Jia’s accusing words “Guilty as charged. I have no idea about Kpop per se. If you look to the far left of this theater hall, you’ll see my unpack luggage dragged over from the airport” Victoria stopped in the middle of the sentences, raising her wrist watch higher “Approximately 5 hours ago.”

 

“Seriously” the only words came out from her glossy lips.

 

“Dead serious” Victoria giggled “I found out about the audition a week ago. Not knowing anything about it, I’ve sent my application through email and received the audition call yesterday. I submitted my resignation letter, picked up the phone and booked a flight ticket, packed my bags and here I am.”

 

“You’re crazy” Jia shook her head and laughed hysterically.

 

Victoria was about to reply but stopped immediately when the choreographer named Eunhyuk called for their attentions “Girls, please line up on the stage.”

 

The two quickly jumped to their feet and rushed towards the stage, lining up in the second row between the other 18 participants. The dirty blonde choreographer handed a sheet of paper to Nichkhun before he took a step back, letting the idol take the stage. The two so-called celebrities seating near the entrance were not at sight anymore.

 

As he stepped into lighted area, Victoria clearly sees the sharp features of the man, finally understood why the girls were all work up on getting the spot. Nichkhun was definitely blessed with good genes, pointed button nose, delicate face and relatively big eyes which were brown and mesmerizing. Their eyes met for mere seconds before she quickly averted away, feeling a shade colored her cheeks.

 

“I am really happy to see so many talented dancers today. Please give yourself a loud applause for such a great show” he paused for few seconds, letting the girls enjoy their moment. “Unfortunately, we are not able to engage all of you for this coming project. But

Please rest assured that all of your profiles will be sent to the management for any future project consideration.”

 

The girls remained quiet, hands clasping tightly, anxiously waiting for the result “Out of the 20 participants, we have shortlisted 5 dancers that will proceed to the next stage which will be given another two routines.”

 

Victoria nudged Jia as a sign of ‘I told you so.’

 

Jia smiled and quietly said “Good luck. But I don’t think you need luck. You’re a sure in.”

 

“Then I’ll say, ‘see you in the next stage’, coz I’m sure you’ll be in as well” Victoria took a deep breath.

 

“Those who I call please step forward” his voice was deep and soothing. Victoria made a mental note to check on Nichkhun’s songs and preferably his concert clips “Hyorin, Jiyoung, Hyomin” he took another dramatic pause, waiting for the girls to step forward “Jia and Song Qian. Congratulations, the five of you will battle it out in the next stage. As for the rest, I would again like to say thank you for the hard work and interest of joining us.”

 

In the instant he congratulated them, Jia and Victoria hugged each other tightly, giggling as they celebrated their shared moment with a happy dance; seen as if they’ve been friends for ages.

 

The other girls stepped down from the stage with dark sorrow. Most were crying while some seemed angry. Fortunately, there was no unwanted scene followed. Once the stage was vacant except for the 5 girls, Nichkhun made his way towards them. Standing inches away from her, Victoria can smell his musky cologne.

 

“As mentioned, the five of you will be given two new routines. Both will be choreographed based on my new songs, a group dance and a pair. All will be given the same routine and you guys going to perform three days from now. We will draw lot to decide who will be your partner.”

 

With that, Eunhyuk returned to Nichkhun’s side and pulled out a small clear bowl filled folded papers “The names of our male dancers are written on these papers. You will now step forward to draw your lot.”

 

Just her luck, Victoria who was standing at the end of the line was left with the last piece of paper.

 

“Please read the name written on it” Nichkhun instructed to the group, but somehow Victoria felt that his eyes were on her.

 

The first girl called the name on the sheet. A tall muscular guy called Taecyeon stepped onto the stage next to her. The second girl named Jiyoung was paired with a slightly shorter guy named Wooyoung. Hyomin looked slightly flustered, exchanging pleasantries with Junho, while Jia was paired up with a guy named Junsu. 

 

 “Chansung” Victoria announced loud and clear, smiling at the fresh looking face climbing the small stairs towards her “Hi.”

 

“Hello there Ms Song…” he stuttered a bit, trying to remember her name.

 

“You can call me Victoria” she held out her hand, lips twisted into a warm smile, unaware of the curious stare from the idol himself.

 

 

************************

 

 

After a full half an hour of introduction between the dancers and choreographers, they were guided towards their studio, to meet up with the rest of the team. Victoria remembered few familiar faces that were sitting in the theater when she performed. Mostly were her juniors.

 

They walked out from the hall animatedly in conversation, discussing about their hope and goals, and mostly about their next 3 days tight schedule. They were so immersed in their own world to realize two guys with nation celebrity status were waiting near the elevator.

“Hello there” greeted the random guy, flashing his pearly whites. Clad in crisp green and white stripes shirt, covered by the oxford green vest and matched with a pair of deep brown khakis, Victoria noted that he had great fashion sense. He was leaning on the wall with his hands crossed his broad chest, looking like a drama character.

 

Not knowing who he was or who he was waiting for, Victoria quickens her steps, only to be pulled by the arm. Her body jerked slightly as she turned her attention towards the aggressor who calmly addressed her “Hi, I’m waiting for you Song Qian.”


Face inches away, Victoria finally matched the guy to the tall silhouette who was cheering for her earlier. His hair was lighter than what she expected. Victoria suddenly felt his stomach crunched “Yes. How can I help you?” Her words sounds calmer than she expected, eyeing the pale skinned guy standing nearby; she assumed the peacemaker.  

Then to everyone bewilderment, the guy standing in front of her, pulled her into his wide open arms, securing her in his embrace “I’m Jinwoon. Nice to meet you”

In that instant her dance partner, Chansung and the intense looking guy pulled her and the guy named Jinwoon away from each other.


“Kwonnie, what are you doing?” Jinwwon whined, trying to wriggle himself free from the other’s strong grip. He may looks petite, but he sure was strong.


“Saving your from total embarrassment!” he answered, throwing death glares at his friend.

“But this is what happened when you are in love” Jinwoon explained. Everyone was so dumbfounded by now, Eunhyuk ordered the other dancers to proceed to their studio. Jia and Chansung stayed behind, urging their choreographer to do something.

 

Jinwoon managed to free himself and launched himself towards Victoria once again.

But Jo Kwon was quicker, he pulled his friend by the collar and held him tight “Jinwoon, stop harassing Nichkhun’s dancer”


The guy ignored his friend’s plea “Qiannie” he was already using her nick name to address her “Can I have your phone number?”


Victoria was stunned but she managed to gather her courage to reply “Sorry, I don’t give my number to random people. Especially to those I just met.”


“But I’m not a random guy. We already met in our pass life” he answered so confidently Victoria could not help it, blushing at the ridiculous pick up line.


“Ahh. But in this life, I just met you” though she took almost a minute to reply, Victoria answered as polite as she could.


“Then how am I supposed to ask you on a date if you don’t give me your number?” pushing his friend away, Jinwoon moved another step forward.


“Sorry, I don’t date those who are prettier than me”


And as if on repeat mode, Jinwoon pulled Victoria into his arms followed by Chansung and Jo Kwon strong arms pulling them apart once again.


The difference this time was Nichkhun unannounced appearance, thanks to Eunhyuk emergency call “What’s going on?” he asked, looking at each of them expecting an answer.

Victoria noticed that the atmosphere changed instantly. Everyone turned their attention towards him and bowed slightly. “Song Qian, I’ll see you in the dance studio later.” He instructed; short but very much commanding. Victoria bowed and quickly stepped back, grabbing Jia’s arms along the way and another dragging her luggage. Chansung followed behind



She turned back just for a few seconds, noticed Jinwoon was pouting profusely which she thought was kinda cute.


 
****
 

Once the rest of his dancers left, Nichkhun asked “What’s going on? Care to explain.”



“I tried to stop him, but he’s just too fat” Jo Kwon answered rather defensively.



“Jinwoon, what’s going on?” Nichkhun ignored Jo Kwon, knowing he would not get any sarcastic-free answer.



“I’m in love!” Jinwoon declared in a 360 degree twirl, looking totally insane.



“Eh?! With Song Qian?” Nichkhun asked a bit too loud.



Jo Kwon shook his head in annoyance “If you are trying to be discreet, you failed miserably.”

“You just met her? I would really appreciate if you don’t chase away my potential dancer. It’s really not easy to find and train a good dancer. Song Qian really did show lots of potential just now” Nichkhun tried to put some senses into his friend, though he knew it might end in vain.



“Hyung, when you are in love, you should not pull back the break just because you worried of getting hurt” Jinwoon answered confidently, which neither answer the question nor related to the topic.



Nichkhun turned to Jo Kwon “Is he drunk? He seems a bit delirious”



“Nope, just the same pea brain Jinwoon” Kwon answered. “This is what happened when you let your do the talking”



Jinwoon ignored his partner’s snarks and cling himself over Nichkhun “It is just what like my horoscope said ‘I’ll fall in love today. Hyung, you have to help me out. Please be my cupid?”

“Eh?!” Nichkhun exclaimed aloud. Realizing that nothings good ever come out whenever Jinwoon called him Hyung. His hectic world is going to be even more unbearable now.

 

*****************

Not much Khuntoria int yet, but we'll get there soon~

We'll see how Nichkhun deal with the dilemma of being a  cupid.