Chapter 1

Stardust and Sequins

 

He took off his brand new and slightly overpriced shades as soon as he entered the parking entrance, gently slipped it into his blue and white checkered shirt’s pocket. The parking lots were already half filled, displaying a range of fancy cars. A famous quote said; the car we drive say a lot about us, well, he’s not going to argue on that.

 

Maneuvering his car towards basement 2, Nichkhun parked his yellow Fiat Coupe next to a bright metallic red Miata belong to Jinwoon; reminding himself he might need to splurge on his next choice of car. In JYP Entertainment, parking spaces for their Idols were arranged according to their seniority. To his dismay, Nichkhun’s had always been stuck between Jinwoon, and Jo Kwon’s silver Audi. Not that he’s complaining, but Jo Kwon’s habit of changing his car as if changing his shirt, can be a tad intimidating at times; while Jinwoon changed his partner as frequent as Jo Kwon changed his car.


Jinwoon promiscuous nature never bothers him; but the sight of his friend making out so openly in the car could be revolting sometimes. No matter how tinted the windows were, no matter how careful they tried to be, he can still see two figures eating each other faces; hating the awkward moment when he caught a glimpse of the girl’s face. Every single time, he would wish to just walk away without being notice. And most of the time, he was just unlucky…

 

 “Hey, wait up. I’ll be finished in few more minutes” Jinwoon lowered down his window and called him in between the messy kisses and groping.

 

Nichkhun rolled his eyes, took a couple of steps away and locked the car from a safe distance, tucking his red backpack as he headed towards the elevator. He was not interested to hear Jinwoon smug brag over his latest conquest, which hardly can be called a prize.

 

The elevator door slide open with a thud and Nichkhun hurriedly entered, pressing the button almost violently. Unfortunately for him, Jinwoon managed to finish off his frolicking session in time to chase after his best friend, barged in to halt the twin doors “Hey, I told you to wait for me.” He stepped in without any hint of embarrassment over his earlier act, not that Nichkhun expecting any from his friend. “She’s the new marketing exec. Just joined in 3 days ago” Jinwoon offered, checking his own reflection on the elevator’s mirror, trying to tame his messy hair.


Nichkhun simply nodded and cooed to Jinwoon rants about how he pursued her and how great she was in bed. Nichkhun knew the drill too well to bother with the details. With Jinwoon track record, he’ll have a new target by the end of the week. At the ring of the elevator’s bell, opening its door as they reached the ground level, both stepped out from the confined space into the lobby; revealing Jo Kwon’s impatient frown, tapping his foot while leaning at the reception counter. Nichkhun chuckled at the sight of the two receptionists clad in their corporate uniform, fidgeting at the presence of the usually calm, but currently annoyed Jo Kwon.

 

“What took you so long? Did those fats finally slowed you down?” Jo Kwon hissed at Jinwoon, throwing his icy glares.


Jinwoon pouted at Jo Kwon bitter remarks but he knew better than to argue with him, especially since it was clearly his fault “Jo Kwon, I was just helping out a lost kitten. She looked so helpless” He gave out his puppy eyes which earned him another deathly glared from his musical partner.

Nichkhun has been with Jo Kwon and Jinwoon since their junior years and perfectly understand that their frequent banters and endearing bickering were just the way they bond. Due to their so call dynamic relationship, JYP had assigned them as a duet called OppaOppa; frequently reminding him of Charlie the Chocolate Factory’s Oompa-Loompas.

 

The three were very close, but secretly Nichkhun thanked the management for making him a Solo artist rather than a trio with the two, or they might just end up being named The Three Musketeer... or worst; The Three Oppa…Horrendous, indeed.

 
After few moments of tongues wagging between the two, they finally agreed to move forward before the day ended, proceeds to the main elevator behind the receptionist counter. Jo Kwon was the first to ask once the elevator’s door closed “So I heard you lost a dancer few days ago?” Jo Kwon raised his defined eyebrows.


Nichkhun heaved a deep desperate sigh and nodded “Not any dancer. Suzy was the best among all. The concert is scheduled in 5 weeks time. I’m not sure we can get someone good enough to be trained for it” a hint of despair clearly heard from his whined.


“Why the long face my love? I can always dance for you” Jinwoon offered cheerfully, sliding his arms around the sulking idol.


“Jinwoon, hips ing is not a dance routine” Jo Kwon snickered. Jinwoon took it hard, glaring at Jo Kwon for a reenact, which the guy ignored and continued without hesitation “So, when is the audition for the new dancer?”

 

“I’ve scheduled it for today, during lunch period. Want to join and check the new blood?” Nichkhun smiled, eyes strained on the screen flashing the floor’s numbers.



“Definitely!” both Jo Kwon and Jinwoon exclaimed in unison, which ended up with a loud guffaw from the three of them, laughing at their own excitement. With such hectic lifestyle idols lead, small, insignificant amusements kept them sane.  They have always enjoyed watching auditions, reminiscing fond memories of their own awkward experience. Well, for Jinwoon and Nichkhun it is, while Jo Kwon just simply enjoyed seeing other people suffered from the anxiety of auditions.


After the laughter simmered, Jinwoon bouncily announced “Hey, let me read out your horoscope for today.”


Nichkhun shook his head “You know I don’t believe in those superstitious mumbo-jumbo”

“Don’t worry Nichkhun, it couldn’t lessen your already limited masculinity” Jo Kwon teased, playfully hit Nickhun muscular arm.


“Why Jo Kwon, I never knew you’re such a believer?” Nichkhun fired back, rolling his eyes in annoyance.

Jo Kwon flashed his haughty smirk at Nichkhun’s weak replied “I’m not, but since Jinwoon will simply do as he pleases, might as well get a piece out of the action.” Which was exactly as predicted, Jinwoon had already got his smartphone on his palm and scrolling down for his favorite the site.


As they stepped out onto the 11th floor, Jinwoon excitedly read out Nichkhun’s horoscope “Wow, you should hear this ‘You’ll meet someone that will change your life forever. That person will be so shiny you could not take off your eyes. Your own battle in darkness will be shied away by this person’”


A loud laughter escaped from Nichkhun “Yeah right! Battle of darkness my ”

“Maybe it means there will be someone great in the audition. Someone that can actually helps drawing audience to your concert” Jinwoon exclaimed excitedly, leaving a sarcastic note while he was at it. “Ohh, listen to mine ‘Your heart finally settle at the sight of a beautiful creature so rare, you’ll fight all you got for a chance to be love. You might lose but that will not stop you from trying your best’”


Jo Kwon shook his head at his partner antic’s and pulled Jinwoon into their room before he started going crazy again “Come on Madam Fortune Teller. We have practice scheduled. See you at the audition Nichkhun.” Jo Kwon spoke and left Nichkhun alone in the hallway.


A smile formed on his lips. Even though the two could be pretty insane sometimes, Nichkhun loves them just as much. He walked further down the hallway heading to his main dancer’s room. As soon as he pushed the heavy door open, a merry laughter erupted; Krystal, Amber, and Sulli were teasing each other. Luna used to be the part of the dorky girls group, unfortunately she broke her leg during their practice two days ago and been instructed for a month long rest or till further notice from the doctor. She was devastated with the thought of being replaced, but nothing much can be done in her condition.

 

Aside from the girls, Nichkhun’s dancers for the upcoming concert consists a powerful line of male dancers as well; Taecyeon, Wooyoung, Junho, Junsu and Chansung; which were not at sight at that very moment “Where are the guys?”

 

“Junsu called about an hour ago, saying that their car had some problems and they might be in slightly late” Krystal filled in, pulling Amber to her side, squeezing in on the abused couch “Amber was just telling us what went down when she went to see Luna yesterday” she added.

 

Not waiting for any approval to repeat her story, Amber’s eyes brighten as she continued "I went to visit Luna after practice yesterday, bought her a teddy bear and cookies. We were chatting calmly until the topic of work come up. I told her we will be having the audition today, she starts to weep uncontrollably. I tried to comfort her but she ended up wailing further till the nurses rushed in. I end up being chased away."



"She continued to wail and said she will haunt the new girl" Amber continued her tale which lead everyone laughing hysterically. "It was as if she's going to die and her soul will not be at peace till she completed the part"



Nichkhun’s senses finally set in, suddenly turned serious and looked at each one of the lovely girls "Luna is great and I doubt we can find anyone as good as her. I do feel bad that I need to replace her this soon, while she’s suffering with the treatment. But the truth is, we are already out of time" Nichkhun’s words laced in regrets.



"Hey, not to worry Nichkhun-oppa, we understand the situation. Luna knew it as well, it just a bit hard to swallow. You know how dramatic she always been." Sulli added helpfully, gently messaging his stiffened shoulders.



Nichkhun looked around at each of his most trusted dancers and smile gratefully "Thanks guys. Really appreciate your support." The he continued "So, have you guys checked the audition list? Anyone familiar?"


All four nodded, displaying mix emotions on their faces "Of course, since there are only a few renowned dance academies in Korea. But it would be best for you and the panels to judge them yourself." Krystal added with a mysterious smirk.


Nichkhun was definitely curious, but before he could ask further, Amber interrupted “But there is one particular name that all of us were shocked to see in the list”


“She was our senior back then. She was a rare breed; a talent others could only dream off. Ballet was her passion but she excelled in other genres as well. Not to mention gorgeous as hell” Amber added a naughty wink “She was scouted and offered to study abroad after she performed the most beautiful ballet routine at our yearly dance competition during, her 2nd year. She was a genius, a child prodigy” Amber explained animatedly “I guess she had graduated from Julliard already. Wonder why she’s back though?”


“Why not?” Nichkhun asked curiously, eyes wanders from one to another.


“Well, once you get the feel of international recognition, it’s really rare for you to come back. Unreasonable actually” Sulli offered some insight, pushing Amber to the side to squeeze herself together with the two. “And if Luna knew this particular girl is auditioning, not only she will cry her heart out, she’ll be volunteering to find a new job”

“Maybe she lost her mojo and thought coming back to her root may help” Krystal offered, frowning at the pain, having to squeeze herself for the space Sulli demanded.



“Who knows? But one thing for sure, if she’s as good and beautiful as she used to be, we bet you can’t take your eyes off her” Sulli added knowingly, playfully jabbing Amber’s side.


That was the second time the term being used and Nichkhun was slightly wary now.

“So, how much are we betting?” Amber asked innocently.

 

“Betting on what?” the door suddenly spring open, five guys rushing in, looking slightly beat up “How could you start accepting bets when I’m not around” Taecyeon announced, raising his hand to Nichkhun “Sorry we were late. The old car being cranky, again.”

 

“No worries” he replied, changing pleasantries with the rest of the gang.

 

“So, what are we betting for?” Chansung asked innocently.



****

Nichkhun was sitting in the middle of the panel judges for the audition. The panel was his manager, concert producer, choreographer and image consultant. Nichkhun turned back and saw Jo Kwon and Jinwoon at the far right side of the hall while his dancers were sitting not too far from the panels. After their earlier conversation, Nichkhun has taken the liberty and checked the entire audition list. There are a few dancers with abroad experiences as written in their profile, but there was only one graduated from Julliard. Unfortunately, there was no recent photo attached and she was the last candidate.



The audition goes on pretty well and there were a few good dancers spotted. But Nichkhun still has his doubt whether the new dancer can be trained and ready before the concert, in such a short time.

Then the moment all of them had been waiting for, the last candidate stepped out from behind the heavy stage curtain, walking gracefully towards the panel, dressed in black dress and 5 inchec stilettos. She got amazing air of confidence and flamboyant that make Nichkhun feels as if the time had stood still. Nichkhun was having a hard time to remain calm as he felt so jumpy inside.


“Hi! I’m Song Qian” the tall, slender looking girl announced with a bright smile, a hint of accent noticed by Nichkhun.


“So, you’ve graduated from Julliard few months back. Any reason you are here now?” his choreographer sounded a bit skeptical and critical at the same time. The same tone his dancers were using referring to her Julliard stint.


But she just smile sweetly, clearly already anticipated the question “I’ve always wanted to come back and contribute whatever I have learnt back to my country once I graduated. And that notion never change even after I’ve performed few time abroad”


Nichkhun sensed that was not the real reason but he nodded in approval, noting that it was a politically correct answer that you’ll normally hear at beauty pageant. “So what will your performance be?”


“A modern lyrical dance” she answered confidently, straightening her posture as she speaks.

Then she moved to the centre stage and to position herself. She gave the cue to music and once the rhythm sync she started swaying gracefully. Her moves were so delicate and breathtaking beautiful. She was flexible, firm and simply artistic in her every careful moves. It was such a dynamic and amazing performance, Nichkhun felt like he was holding his breath throughout the dance. He simply could not take his eyes away from the girl named Song Qian.


When the music and dance stopped, he almost stood up to give the girl a standing ovation. He looked at his choreographer who was clasping his mouth in awe, clearly out of words. He turned around and saw all his dancers showed him their thumbs up. He smiled and feeling grateful he didn’t make any bets just now.



****

At the far back of the hall, Jinwoon and Jo Kwon were stunned by the performance. Both of them sat in silence after the emotional performance. Then Jinwoon was the first to break the silence “I can’t breathe.”


“Eh, I only do CPR for girls” Jo Kwon snorted nonchalantly.


“Jo Kwon, she’s the one” Jinwoon announced as if in trance, eyes wide opened, invisible drools coming out from his hanging mouth..


Jo Kwon looked at Jinwoon as if his friend was talking in a foreign language “Huh?!”


Jinwoon turned to face Jo Kwon “She’s the one mentioned in my horoscope. I’m in love.”

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do share your thoughts of it ya~

A/N : Khuntoria was the very reason I found Kpop. 

Though I have a long list of toria-pair, 

Khuntoria hold a special place in my heart :)