01

You're Vain (One-Shot)

 

You’re Vain – Byun Baekhyun

 

 

“Hwajung-ah, Baekhyun sunbae is coming this way”, My friend Yura nudged me on my sides and earned a groan. Not just because of the nudge but also because of that guy. Byun Baekhyun. That despicable excuse for a human being. If just all the guys in this world would be like him, I would rather live my life in a nunnery and grow old with a feline as a companion.

 

I never even want to remember that I, once fell for him, worse is that I dated him. Yup, guys I dated him for at least six months which was most likely a dare. I heard it. Loud and clear last week while he was talking with his group of friends so I broke up with him and now there goes him leaning at a locker next to mine. The jerk started to persuade me again to get back with him starting last week after we broke up but to me that means more annoying antics with him and his clique. I closed my locker door, locked it and just ignored the face that made my mood for today so smug that if the whole school population wasn’t watching now I could’ve destroyed that pretty face of his right now.

 

I dragged ‘half-conscious-of-what’s-happening’ Yura with me and kept a poker face. This is going to be such a long day.

 

“Hwajung-ah!”

 

Baekhyun ran to me and encircled his hands on my wrist. I stopped. The butterflies entered my tummy again and I want them to stop. Now. I tore his hands off mine and walked away. Leaving Yura there alone and confused.

 

“See you later Hwajung-ah”, I heard him yell and I stopped on my tracks. I can imagine him smirking at me. Well that got me thinking quite a bit. What the heck does this egoistical jerk planning now? . After a few seconds I walked away still thinking of it.

 

 

------------------------------------------

 

 

Several hours later, school finished early so I quickly got up and headed first to the parking area where the car with the driver is located. The driver, Mr. Yoon opened the door to the back seat as I sat there at the pavement still waiting for Yura.

 

A few minutes later Yura came running and panted as she got close enough.

 

“I thought you’ll leave already so I ran as fast as I could”, Yura panted as she got in the car with me.

 

“Yeah, yeah I should really leave you there next time huh?” I laughed with Yura and there goes the chatting process which was later interrupted by Mr. Yoon.

 

“Ms. Park, Your mom told me to drop Ms. Yura first to her house then you’ll have to have dinner later at the restaurant your mom texted you earlier”

 

“Thank you , Mr. Yoon”, I mumbled as I looked at Yura and waved goodbye already as she went straight to her house with her younger brother surprising her in.

 

 I felt myself get jealous sometimes at Yura and her family. They may not be rich as us, not that I’m bragging but I feel much more welcome with the thought of having a family like her with parents always there for her and siblings that love her. My parents are always out working abroad with investors and stuff but even if they’re here it feels just like I am more of like a stock than a daughter to them. They always train me to become the perfect daughter, with more lessons to learn different languages and playing the instruments like the violin and the piano every weekend after having business classes. And probably this dinner here will be another meeting for another arrange marriage with some high class aristocrat. I accepted my fate a long time ago so there is no problem with me.

 

“Ms. Park we’re here”

 

I headed straight to the restaurant with a fake smile and made my way through my parents who are busy discussing it now with a woman in her early 50’s which looks quite intimidating with her is her husband.

 

“Oh here she is –” Mom ushered me near to her and bowed at them both and smiled, “ – this is my daughter Hwajung, isn’t she very pretty”.

 

“Ah, neh…she’ll make such a pretty daughter-in-law “, the woman smiled warmly at me and I curved my mouth a bit and smiled at her in return.

 

“My son does a great job at selecting his future bride”, What the heck the son selects the bride not his parents?! My forehead creased at the comment but I still contained a smile at them.

 

After a few minutes I heard the door open and the footsteps are getting louder. It’s headed to us. It means he’s already here. The woman, who I learned is Mrs. Byun stood up and introduced her son to us but-

 

“Byun Baekhyun?!”, I yelled which made the people at our table get surprised while the latter smirked at me the whole time my parents questioned me if I knew him. I tried to control my temper for the sake of the elders here and successfully calmed myself down after 15 seconds.

 

“Hwajung-ah, It’s nice to see you here doesn’t it…”, Baekhyun smiled and our parents liked that we had already met before the engagement. Your smile could fool them but don’t take me as a stupid, I could see the evil glint in your eyes.

 

“Neh, quite frankly I really hadn’t expected you to be here too”, my words may sound sweet but each word held a secret bomb to Baekhyun and I smirked at him.

 

“Oh I’m sure the kids here might want a moment for them to get to know each other more and Mr.  and Mrs. Park we can discuss the details to their engagement to ourselves right?”, Mr. Byun asked as our parents left us to ourselves. The tensed atmosphere after they left strengthen but I broke the ice first.

 

“An arrange marriage Baekhyun? Really?!” I laughed angrily as I glared at him while the latter only smirked more at my discontent.

 

“I want you to be with me…and didn’t you already learned that I always get what I want Hwajung-ah?” My forehead creased at the thought as his hands quickly s his way to hold my hands. The butterflies burst in my stomach and I hate it. I took his hand out of mine and tried to leave when he held my wrists tightly and I stopped.

 

“I’m rich, I’m handsome and incredibly all the girls like me, even you fell for me right? So why wouldn’t you like me now”, the latter proudly said and laughed lightly. But his demeanor slightly fell a bit in a lower cocky level as he stared at me. Still…

 

“You are one vain egoistical jerk and I hate you, Byun Baekhyun”, I sputtered angrily as he stood up to blocked my way in just a matter of a few seconds to spare. My eyes can’t turn to look at his as I glared at his leather shoes. What startled me most was his next action. He placed both his warm hands on my shoulders and I looked at him wide-eyed. His face was unreadable… and then he smiled. It looked sincere this time and I shook my head in bewilderment. It was like he wasn’t the Byun Baekhyun I knew. My heart thumped again and I feel the blood rushed up to my face. This Baekhyun I see know is…

 

“Y-Yahhhh…what are yo- ”, my words dried up within a few seconds.

 

“I know…and I love you too”, His mouth formed the words in a formidable whisper as I felt my throat dried up. I suddenly can’t speak. The words I need to say weren’t making its way out of my lips now. His hand gets slowly intertwined in mine. I looked at his eyes. Those coffee colored orbs were now inching closer, and closer as I felt myself get hypnotized and closed my eyes when I feel his warm lips into mine. Fireworks exploded. And I completely forgot that somehow this guy I’m kissing is Byun Baekhyun, the same vain egoistical jerk I called earlier.

 

 

----------------------------------------

Done!

But I still think the ending is a bit unpolished...