Chapter Five

The Sound of the Old Train

I handed the tall slim model denim short, which was decorated with little gold three-dimensional stars. She quickly pulled them on as I kneeled down thinking what I could do to change it a little. I folded the bottom, showing a clear difference in the shade of blue then covered the lines of stitches with a black think sheet. My hands tapped the tops, in the rank, to a side as my eyes sought for something that will fit in. There it was; a perfect plain black see-through top. I pushed it into her hand and waved foreword the next model.

This process went on for a couple of hours. I had ten models, which were now perfectly dressed to my expectations. I walked past them, examining each one closely. My legs became stiff when my eyes set on the first model I sorted. The concept for her was plain but she looked too plain. I quickly ran towards my personal room and dug through my accessory box. Something sparkly caught my eye; I dug deeper to find a C-D. What is this doing here? I tapped it against my head and something clicked. I grabbed some scissors and clothing glue off the desk and ran back.

They all gave me a weird look as I cut different shaped C-D pieces. I finally stuck them on the collar of her black top. I eyed it from a distant and smiled, it looked great. Everyone’s awkward look turned into a look of astonishment and delight. My grin widened, and tilted my head a little with honour.

 

I stood back stage as I watched my girls walk the runway one-by-one with style and grace. The crowd looked stunned and amused but they had that expression when the opposition went on as well. A little nervous feeling struck me. I started to bite the tip of my thump and went off to get some water.

“Feeling the heat?” McJoon, a famous designer, smirked. I glared at him before gulping down my water. “Seems like you are,” he whispered before walking off.

I went back to watching them, this time they all gathered in a row and walked foreword, together. They looked perfect to me but what would the judges say. When walking back, a little accident occurred; the model nearly tripped. I felt my face heat up and I clenched my fists into ball. Just when it’s about to end, she had to trip. Gosh, who hired her?

They walked past me and lined up. I stared at the girl, who was close to falling, and grinded my teeth. About to start shouting but my name was called. I had to make my speech. I took my book with me and walked onto the stage with McJoon beside me, with my head held high. I handed my notepad to the representative and smiled, kindly.

He began to read my speech, "Evening, ladies and gentleman. Many may be wondering why I'm not saying this. The people that follow my blogs would know that the reason isn't because of my English abilities but it’s due to the fact that I can’t talk." Sallow looks filled the room, just as I expected. "Yes, I'm mute but that's a good thing. In the world of mine, full of music and empty space, I had a lot time to think and create ideas. One of my inspirations is music, of course. Most would be thinking how music and fashion are related. In my world, they are; related like fire and fuel. Adding fuel to fire makes it burn harder. Adding music to me makes me sprout out ideas. When I listen to soft rock, I create something like this," the reader paused. I clicked the button to the big scene to show a picture of a girl who was wearing a short flowery dress with the shades of light blue, pink and white. The crowd nodded their heads with acknowledgement. "When I listen to hard metal, I make something like this." I pressed the button again; a girl with a gothic look showed up. She wore a black dress, which had a white piece of fabric at the back making the dress look bigger over all. "There is also another secret inspiration, this is what I used to design the set I showed you today. Love and friendship." I smiled thinking of him. Everyone awed. "Love and friendship is always the secret to my success. To the person back home in Korea, thank you so being my friend. That's all. Thank you," I bowed as the reader finished. People clapped very loudly.  

 

Other speeches about inspiration was over and I, anxiously, waited on the stage, beside many other professionals, for the results to be announced.  

“Third pace goes to... Ms Keng from Australia." Everyone applauded as the happy women walked foreword to accept the quarter of million pounds. I pressed my hands together. I want to win at least second place. "Second place goes to... McJoon from London," he said. I bowed a little at him as he passed by. He smirked, as he knew that I know I wouldn’t be able to win this, anymore. I saw McJoon's clothing and if he won second place, there is no chance for me. He walked up with a straight face, and accepted the half a million check. "The winner of this contest,” he paused. ‘Just say it already!’ I was so close to screaming. Even if I did, they wouldn’t hear so it’s all ok. “The owner of this million pound check is... Lee Sungjong from Korea,” he shouted. My hair flipped back as I made a dramatic gesture, which wasn’t supposed to happen but I was in shock. A teardrop ran down my cheek as a grin from ear to ear split my face.

My models came on stage and one of them pushed me foreword. I was so happy. A happy moment that I wished I could share with him. This moment and many more. A few more years and I would be able to, if he waited.

I accepted the money, as a prize. This would help me built my own shop here, in New York. After I developed the company here, I could go back to Seoul. Excitement filled me. I couldn’t believe my fashion was actually noticed in this part of the world.

We all went back stage and I fell to the ground. “Sungjong,” someone had called worriedly but I just sat there shaking with happiness. Standing there, winning this, everything was just... was just joyful. I heard a cough and straightened up to see McJoon standing in front of me with his hand out. "You did well, Sungjong," he said with an expressionless face. A smile crept up my face as I accepted the handshake with a nod.

He walked away and I turned to my girls, pulling all of them into a big family hug. If I could, I would scream right now. We jumped in circles; we couldn’t help it.

 

"Sungjong, we need new staff members. Orders keep coming in and I don't think hundred would do. We need more," Clare, my advisor, informed. Her little face slackened; her brow furrowed - eyes darting about in concern. I could tell she worried about this business more than I did.

I nodded, putting down the needle in my hand. Take care of it. Send the best hundred to me. I will test them and narrow it down to fifty. That is enough, right? I wrote, with a smile.

She nodded with a lightened face. "Yes, sir, that's more than enough," she said before strolling in hunt for employees. I continued working on the mannequin. I placed the pin with my mouth as I folded the silk a little on it shoulders and pinned it together.

 

Four years later...

I opened the rustling gates of this barren, cold, moist and shallow place, where death welcomes you. Tombstones made of cold withering cement witnessed the tears of laughter, and tears of guilt awaiting every shadow's lament. People die with joy and sorrow, which was felt in this place. Screeching silence waited for a trespasser, like me, to walk the road of sadness.

I sank down in front of the tombstone that said Mr and Mrs Kim. I closed my eyes and asked for a favour. Mr and Mrs Kim, you love your son as much as I do so please show him to me once. Show him to me, please. I pleaded before reopening my eyes. I realized there was a bunch of beautiful, well-cut fresh flowers already there. I placed mine beside it and looked around to see nothing but darkness.

I got into my car and drove to my old school. I really wanted to see how it looked like. Has it changed? It didn't take long to find out because there was barely any traffic so it was much easier.

Breathing in the fresh air of my school felt good. It hasn't changed a bit. I walked towards the tree, the unique bird was in, and that had grown a lot. I looked in closer seeking for the bird. To my luck, it was sitting there quietly with another next to it. I felt at peace when I saw it met someone.

I strolled down the corridor as I recalled the memories created here. Kids, running around like idiots. Myungsoo, beside me smiling. Teachers, patrolling the area to ensure to no one fight.

I walked up the stairs to the rooftop. Opening the door, a gust of wind slammed against my face, like usual. I stood there letting it take my hair and clothes for a ride. My eyes glanced down at the place where Myungsoo and I used to sit. Titling into a smile, a sigh of relief escaped my lips. Nothing changed; the view, the space, the emptiness.

"Oh, Sungjong," I heard a voice say. I turn to see it was my old tutor. I bowed in greeting. She walked towards me and patted my back. "You've grown a lot! What are you doing here? Oh right, Myungsoo just left. He came by to check up on the kids. If you run fast enough you'll be able to catch him," she said. Does everyone know about our relationship?

Hope filled within me but instead of running down the stairs, I ran to the edge of the rooftop to see a man in a grey overcoat walk out. I ran down the stairs but I was too late. No one was in sight. I slowly walked along the road that led to the restaurant; he might have headed there. The road was scary as usual but I was too old to hide. Once I arrived, I saw the restaurant changed slightly. It looked a little brighter. I walked in and looked around. Where is the grandma that owns this place? I asked a man that sat there eating the famous noodles.

"Don't you know? She died a couple of years ago. She didn’t have a grandson to inherit this place so a man brought it. Name is Myungsoo or something. He hired someone to work here and everything. He must have really cared about her. He only visits for an hour though than just leaves,” the man explained. I nodded and sat next to him to eat. I ordered my usual. Closing my eyes, I let the sensation of the food fade in my mouth. “Good, eh?” he smiled as I nodded, eagerly.

Slowly walking back, I realized there was another place I wanted to visit. The train station... The colour of the sky was a merge of yellow, orange and red. Seeing the railway when the sun was setting made it much more beautiful. I walked down the tracks, opposite to the one I usually stand on to go home. I smiled as I remembered my first day here. From the corner of my eye, I caught onto something that looked very familiar. The eyes of the person locked with mines. A smiled formed, as I knew I was hallucinating again. Chugga-chugga... The sound of the train came from a distance as my leg went on. My eyes urged to look back at the person; it wasn’t a dream. It was him. It was really him. We both paused, staring hard at each other, but then suddenly the train stopped between us. I waited for it to move away... However, when it did, there wasn’t anyone there. I mentally slapped myself and continued.

"Sungjong," a familiar voice called. 

 

 


This story is finally over. I enjoyed writing this, a lot. It was supposed to be a oneshot /slapped/ but it turned to a short story. It's roughly 18000 words T_T.

Anyway, I'm leaving this story with my friend because I'm leaving asianfanfics.

Thanks to the savvyXD for being my beta reader and correcting my careless mistakes. Thanks to kittyxluvlee for supporting me through the first chapter. And thanks to all my readers, for taking your time to read such story -_-.