Melty Kiss

Melty Kiss

Myungsoo grinned widely as the staff dropped thousands of pearl gold balloons from the ceiling of the stadium. His vision blurred as the gold balloons blended in with the sea of waving penlights to form an ocean of gold, an ocean of love and support for them – for Infinite. The entire scene was picture perfect, and he could almost hear the hundreds of cameras clicking away madly to capture the event, his own hands desperately itching for the Canon DSLR camera that was safely sitting on a shelf over 1,000km away back in their dorm. Travelling always meant bringing his smaller camera, but even then it was too big to bring on stage, plus he knew he wouldn’t be able to concentrate on performing at all if he’d been allowed his camera. He sighed, barely paying attention to the instrumental version of their song that would’ve been deafening if there hadn’t been over 10,000 screaming fans.

 

There was a squeak of skin against balloon from his right side – though he had no idea how he heard it over the roar of the crowd – and he turned to see the maknae of their group holding onto two of the balloons, incorporating them into his aegyo for the fans. He could feel his smile crack as his analysing eyes quickly noted signs of annoyance from the other; it took him three years to figure out the small ticks: lower left lip lightly bit, left foot placed in front of the other as he stood, back slightly hunched rather than it’s normal pin-straight and the hand that kept brushing against the hem of his shirt, wanting to fiddle with the 1-inch piece of fabric that always seemed so concrete in a world of uncertainty.

 

Normally Myungsoo would leave the gathering of things like balloons and cheering towels to the youngest, but tonight, something seemed different; something felt special: Infinite had held successful mini-concerts in Japan before, but now there were over 10,000 fans out in the crowd, madly waving penlights and signs in hopes that just once one of them might catch their gaze. It was scary to think that he was finally scratching the surface of his goal in life; life was nothing without goals, so what would be next? Arguably, there’s only so far one can go as an idol, and eventually each one of their cheering fans would lose interest in them – in their songs, in their dances, and in their looks; nothing could last forever, put photos could surely try.

 

They weren’t rookies anymore and days sped by as they grew and learned together; 7 men now shared the same life goal, but wasn’t a life goal supposed to be personal? – and personal it had become. With nothing to do between promotions, their group was split, each member focusing on their individual endeavours, but what about the youngest? Barely passing through high school, the ONE place where you were meant to discover yourself and decide what you truly wanted to do and be: your life goal. Was that why the younger always looked so sad when they’d go out alone after group schedules? Was Sungjong’s ONLY goal and idea for life that of an idol? Was that what he was thinking about now?

 

He reached out for a balloon from the younger, and was more than surprised when the maknae held them away from him.

 

“Last time you tried to take my balloon, you and Sunggyu-hyung popped it!” he pouted cutely. Myungsoo was not really sure how he heard the younger over the noise of the audience, but he settled for sticking his tongue out at the younger, watching the other’s reaction carefully as he moved on, protecting his balloons from the other members as if he was holding onto them for dear life. If he had to choose another life goal at this very moment in time, it would be to figure out what was wrong with the maknae, and do anything to help.

 

The fans always paired him with Sungyeol due to the elder constantly drawing out his prankster side and the young personality that in reality was only a year older than the youngest member of their group. He enjoyed his time with Sungyeol, sure, but life was more comfortable and relaxing around the maknae.

 

When the two of them had first met, the younger had been an explosion of pubescent energy and excitement, something which his rather peace-loving spirit greatly detested. It was that same energy, however, that drew them closer, the younger confiding his hidden doubts and worries with him, who seemed most like a locked and sealed chest out of the rest of the members – secrets were there, but they could never escape. Learning of the fears and insecurities had been the first hole in the paper door that locked off his caring self, and soon he found himself providing daily support, being the shoulder to cry on during the day so nights could actually be spent sleeping. That’s how he first discovered the effect that fingers brushing through his hair had on the younger.  

 

A constant reassurance that he would always be there to provide the warmth of comfort and a wave of calmness spread throughout the body of a young boy who was worried about everything and nothing at the same time. Following the younger across the stage, he stopped beside him as Sunggyu started their final talking segment. Surprised eyes glanced at him as his fingertips fluttered across the maknae’s forehead, lightly brushing the sweat-matted bangs to the side. Eyes narrowed and gaze hardened, the hair so lovingly brushed away was flipped back before Sungjong’s eyes – rejection of the fact that he was not there to provide comfort; ah, so that’s what it was.

 

Individual promotional activities: they were getting in the way now. He’d promised the younger to go exploring (secretly of course) around the neighbourhood of their hotel the next day during their free day. It wasn’t free of course, the managers restricting them to the confines of their hotel rooms, leading to long bills of movies and room-service, paid for by regretful managers. But after the concert he was taking a bus from Shinjuku station directly to the airport; he was expected back in Korea for drama filming. Their 2 person room would be half-filled, his side of the bed cold; there would be no comfort.

 

It even pained him to leave the one he loved back in a foreign country, to sleep in a room without the comfort he received from the warmth of the younger’s back pressed up against his own as they slept side-by-side.

 

Examining the box of chocolates he’d bought in Japan, Myungsoo frowned, placing them beneath the cover of clothes in his still packed suitcase. A grease-filled thought overtook him, jokingly wondering if the chocolates could melt the younger’s cold exterior. I’ve been spending too much time with Woohyun. Their dorm was silent, other than the manager piling the fan’s gifts into one of the member’s rooms until they returned from Japan. Sungjong’s side of the futon is cold that night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He returned home from his filming 6 days later and happened across a distraught Dongwoo returning to the kitchen from down the hall, a prepackaged sandwich still wrapped and clutched tightly in his hands. Day 5. There was a faint din of voices echoing from the kitchen, and he sighed knowing the exact reason why there was a ‘family meeting’.  

 

“Still?”

 

The sullen look on the faces of the members sitting at the table was enough to answer him as he slowly stepped through the doorway. The packaged sandwich was placed in the middle of the table as the 2nd oldest stepped heavily into the room, shoulders weighed down and a frown present on his ever-smiling face. In a different situation, seeing 6 boys staring intently at a sandwich in the middle of the table would have been laughable, but now no one was laughing.

 

“I don’t like this…” Sungyeol was never the best at expressing his feelings toward something when it didn’t involve loud screams, but you could hear the worry in the whispered words that floated across the table.

 

“It’s gone on too long this time; we need to tell someone.” Hoya’s hands fisted on the table as he spoke, his words clearly directed toward the leader of their group.

 

“Do you know what would happen if this spread to the media?” Sunggyu hissed back at the dancer. His voice carried anger, but anger at themselves for letting this happen, and along with it traces of worry for the maknae locked within his room.

 

“I agree with Hoya, but…Myungsoo still hasn’t tried. If we’ve all tried and nothing worked, maybe Myungsoo will be the one who can help, 6th time’s the charm right?” Woohyun was playful and accusing at the same time: one of his specialties. Sungjong had an unfortunate habit of locking himself away and refusing to eat when he was mad, and it usually only ended if the person who made him mad apologised. Of course it was him; he knew it was him. With each day loaded with filming schedules, he’d barely seen the younger since the night of their concert back in Japan, and that was 6 days ago. Now it was apparently day 5 of this anger and refusal to eat; of course it was him.

 

His mind was immediately drawn to the box of chocolates that was still sitting in his unpacked suitcase. He nodded to the group of them at the table before quickly walking to his shared room, hoping that one of the other members hadn’t gone through his things and discovered it. Retrieving the chocolate had been the easy task, being allowed in the room was a completely different story; it’s times like this that he was glad they’d decided to invest in a master key for the locks.

 

He opened the door slowly, inching his way into the room.

 

“Yah, Kim Myungsoo!” He froze, barely halfway into the room as the younger’s higher-pitched voice sounded from atop the bunk bed. There was a muffled thump noise.

 

“You said you would always be there for me, but where were you after the concert when I couldn’t understand the Japanese fans speaking with me and ended up disappointing them!?” There was another muffled noise, and Myungsoo smirked as his heart restarted and he easily made his way into the room, the younger too preoccupied with beating up his white stuffed bear to notice the intrusion.

 

“You’ve even been ignoring me now that we’re back in Korea.” There was a renewed fury to the smacks of Sungjong slapping his bear and Myungsoo paused at the foot of the ladder, guilt creeping into his conscience even more now that he’d heard the words from the younger’s lips.

 

“You never even said welcome back…” The boy trailed off with a sniffle, and Myungsoo’s eyes widened a fraction before he quickly began to climb the ladder. The movement rocked the bed, but it was too late, Myungsoo had already made it up onto the bed by the time the younger realised who had disturbed him.

 

“H-hyung, how did you get in? How long have you been here?” Myungsoo held up the small key, frowning at the brief look of distrust that flashed through the younger’s eyes.

 

“I’ve been here long enough Jong-ah.” It was sort of a nickname between the two: Jong-ah, and he frowned more as the younger flinched at it.

 

“I’m not hungry right now…” Sungjong whispered as he turned away, burying his face into the fur of the white bear that was now sitting on his lap.

 

“Yes you are,” Myungsoo deadpanned with all the sensitivity of a wooden spoon.

 

“I’m not!” Sungjong protested and hugged the bear closer, but the fiddling and rustle of the sheets wasn’t enough to drown out the sudden rumble of the boy’s stomach. Myungsoo covered his mouth to prevent the burst of laughter from escaping and he opened the box of chocolates, formulating his plan. Taking a deep breath, he blushed at the words he was about to say.

 

“I love you, Sungjong-ah.”

 

“What?!” The younger whipped around, mouth dropped open in shock, and Myungsoo took the chance to quickly stuff one of the chocolates into his mouth. Sungjong on the chocolate a bit before chewing lightly, eyes sparkling at the new taste. As he opened his mouth to respond, Myungsoo took the opportunity to shove another 3 chocolates in his mouth.  Sungjong reeled back, glaring at the older while he chewed on the new chocolates that had been forcefully shoved into his mouth.

 

“Yah, hyu-“ Myungsoo grinned as the younger cut himself off, clamping his mouth shut as he noticed the hand with another 3 chocolates making a bee-line for his open mouth. The younger scowled and he grimaced, popping one of chocolates into his own mouth before continuing.

 

“You say one word and you’re getting another handful of chocolates!” He wiped away the playful smile that had naturally formed on his lips before continuing.

 

“Sungjong-ah…I should’ve never made a promise that I wouldn’t be able to keep. I shouldn’t have just left you in Japan like that, and I should’ve made more of an effort to be there for you as soon as you got back. I…I don’t really have any excuses, and you’d probably kill me if I tried to come up with any…” He could feel the heat from the other’s stare and he wordlessly placed another two chocolates in the other’s outstretched hand.

 

“I’m sorry Sungjong-ah…I left my heart with you in Japan, and I guess I forgot to pick it up again when you guys returned…I’ve been an …” There was a snort of laughter from beside him, and he glanced up to see the younger hiding his smile behind his hand.

 

“You’ve definitely been spending too much time with Woohyun-hyung, hyung!” A comfortable silence spread between the two of them as Myungsoo pulled out another two chocolates, one for each of them.

 

“It was cold here, you know? Without you at the dorm…your side was cold…” Myungsoo concentrated on his slightly dirty fingers, melted chocolate painted along the tips, and his face burning red with his confession.

 

“I’ve missed you…” It was just a whisper, but Myungsoo couldn’t help but smile at the giddy tingling sensation that washed over him. Tipping the last chocolate into his hand, he held it out to the other, waiting until he took it before continuing.

 

“I’ve missed you too.” Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the other blush and press a red cheek to the bear’s soft fur.

 

“Hyung, what are these chocolates called, they’re really good!” Sungjong questioned, seemingly wanting to change the topic.

 

“I bought them before I left – before I knew. I thought we could share them back at the hotel. They’re a winter chocolate in Japan, so I thought it would be special. They’re called Melty Kiss since they apparently melt really fast.”

 

“Mmm, I wish you’d bought two boxes hyung, I want more!” Sungjong whined, puffing out his cheeks and pouting, eyes sparkling with mirth and happiness that had been invisible for the past week. Myungsoo’s cheeks burned a fiery red as he lightly shoved himself forward on the bed, legs resting against the younger’s as he sat in front of him.

 

“There’s one left,” he whispered as he edged forward, lips brushing against the others in a soft butterfly kiss.

 

Both sides of the futon were warm that night.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really want some melty kiss now...but it's not winter anymore >.> I'll have to go to Donki Hotte and see if they have them. Thank you all for reading and subscribing! I hope I gave you something to read while I work on SF - I've got a few fics that I wrote a long time ago just sitting in my documents...so I thought I might as well post one. I'll add a poster when I'm not buried under this pile of homework~