Tip 8

Write with your /21th Century Breakdown

update has arrived. I'm talking about weaknesses and strong points.

In a story, the plot, the characters and setting are the main things the people see. A bold girl in the historical days, a dumb robot in the future, an orphan wizard, etc. Some may be strong with the characters, some may know the history of their setting well, some may have an awesome plot.

I'm the kind of person with strong overflowing rainbows, so I'm strong with plots, which is why I have an idea shop where I throw all the ideas in. My characterization is weaker, it's not that round, it's sort of flat if you read my fics. It's like, I write with a different feel for different fics but that's besides the point. What I'm trying to say is, know your weaknesses and strong points.

If when you read, you can picture the dude in your head, and if when the author throws a scene at you and you can imagine his reaction, that character is good. You're feeling it! Go! Goal!

Ahem.

I believe the way to improve on your characterization is write every single detail on somewhere whereby you can always refer to. Like the character's habits, likes, dislikes. Please don't tell me the OC dislikes coffee but goes to a cafe with her boyfriend to order americano. Americano isn't the only coffee that exists you know by the way. Make up some scenes and imagine your character's reaction. If you can see it, it's fine. If you cannot, mould it up. A character doesn't have to have a tragic past with parents that died in a car crash right infront of their eyes so they are traumatized but still happy and outgoing. I mean, that's possible, but she's surely somehow crying somewhere.

Or you can just use a friend's personality. Refer to a friend, just change the name and maybe credit them? LOL sounds a little werid. But sometimes the character just plants itself in my fics, personality and stuff.

And, to write a good character is to show it through their actions. I'm fine with character charts, just don't go she's shy, outgoing, dumped by kingka, wears nerdy glasses before but now changed into a queenka blablabla. Put a snipet of her life or something big that happened in her past. No car crashes please. Maybe something her parents always told her, which made her who she is today.
For example, always say please and thank you. Therefore, she might have the OCD moments when someone doesn't say please and thank you, she'll get antsy and frustrated.
For another example, two people were suspects for a murder, thus they were brought back to the police. The one with a bad temper will surely throw a tanturm, and the police will force him back on his chair. The police might mistake and falsely accuse him of being the murderer, but' it's only normal for the character to react that way because the character is a short tempered person. The other quieter person might panic in his seat, palms sweaty arms heavy (cue lose yourself). If he seemscalm, then something is wrong with him. Different reactions are based on their personalities.

To improve in plots, you gotta have a good imagination. Where do I get them from? TV shows, MVs, dramas, skits, mostly TV and cartoons. I watch alot of cartoons from 15 years ago until now, plus various shows, read alot of books, listened to old people and their stories, so my imagination covers alot. Plus, different cultures have different stories as well. i speak 6 languages, kill me otl 
For example, people in Hongkong likes to use word puns. It's really funny, but hard to explain. The chinese like to use artistic poem-like words, which actually mean really simple words. For the english, (my mom likes to watch old shows like Mrs Bucket okays) word puns as well.

Mix and match, plus some, minus some, and boom! You got a plot. If not, visit plot shops for ideas.

Setting.........i guess you have to research, research, research. It's good if you're good in history (babababababap. Listen. Enjoy the mayo) or not, you can create another dimension. make it fantasy~ it's fiction after all.


i'm mentally tired right now but my body's like yeah lets dance man
screw you man i have school, not that i want to go but yeah.

leave a comment and opinions ^^

*ppyong*