Here we go again

Here we go again (Drabble)

 

I could feel the water dripping down my back, washing away the soap suds that laid there.  I took a step backwards letting the water pour over my head and spill over my body. I gripped the safety handle next to me, tightening my grip on it as the cold “rain” brought shivers down my spine. I stood there, closing my eyes thinking back about what happened.

 

Dongwoo and I had another fight. It wasn’t like any of the other disputes but worse. This time, instead, I blew up in face about how he was late every night and how he never had time for me. He’d always arrive home past midnight and leave before six. His work schedule was demanding more of his time, he said.

 

I reached for the shaving cream and lathered my legs in it’s silk. We have been together for a little more than a year without any problems until recently. Was he lying to me for the first time? Have I gained weight? Am I not as pretty anymore? These kind of thoughts ran through my head as I grabbed the razor out from the corner of the shower and began shaving my coarse legs.

 

Ahhh~” The razor bit the bottom of my ankle, leaving a stream of blood to the floor.

I stood there, emotionless, letting my eyes gaze upon my wound, doing nothing to prevent the blood dripping down my foot. Should I move out or should I forgive him again? Nevertheless, this would be the Nth time if you did.

 

Ah…ah… achoo!” The water tickled my nose.

 

Bless you.”

 

I stood there frozen for a second realizing I wasn’t alone. I turned the shower knobs off.

 

Who said you could invade my privacy?”

 

Your conscience told me.  He said you needed company.

 

I reached for the shower curtain and pulled it away, exposing my wet body to the young man across the bathroom, sitting on the toilet seat. His face was forward, eyes to the floor, not moving.

 

If my conscience told you that I need company, it wasn’t referring to you.” My mouth quivered at the end of my words.

 

Dongwoo raised his head towards you, drawing his eyes to your own.  I could see pain in his droopy eyes as he stared.

 

“________, does it hurt that bad? Are you willing to go that far?” His eyes widened at the end of his question.

 

My vision was suddenly becoming blurry as I felt a soft tear slide down my cheek. Dongwoo was the person you always went to. He was the one who would comfort you when you lost your parents, when you best friend was killed in a train accident, and even when you failed you college acceptance exam. My life was filled with a bitter sweet past, constantly haunting my dreams and reality; my life was meaningful when Dongwoo around.

He stood up from where he was sitting and walked over to me with a towel that hung close by. He lifted the edges of the fabric and covered my privates, pulled the towel between my arms and around my back. I still stood there, emotionless, staring at his face while helping me. His eyes made a dodge down to the shower floor, glancing at my wound that still open and dripping with blood. 

 

________! What did you do?” He said aggressively, grabbing my shoulders. Dongwoo immediately knelt down next to my legs and gently wiped and pressed my cut with a small towel. “You really should be more careful. What would happen if-

 

He trailed off and stood up, looking me straight in the eyes. “I’m sorry. It’s my fault. I should be always there for you when you need me and when you don’t. I promise to fix our relationship and work harder so I can be with you more. Does that sound like a good plan?

 

I could feel his warmth slowly take over my cold body as he held my hands. I wanted to bury myself inside his eyes and never be seen again. They were so beautiful at that moment.

 

Yes, It does. When do you plan on starting it?” I gave up being mad at him. I should never be mad at him. He was my first love and the only man that ever meant anything to you.

 

Right now, if you’ll let me?” He grinned as he nuzzled his nose into my neck and wrapped his arms around my waist.  His tight grip pulled our bodies close together spreading even more warmth across my body. I lifted my arms and wrapped them around his neck.

That would be perfect.