Unsure

From Broken to Healed

 

 

The sound of my phone ringing had me jumping up in bed and looking around wildly before my eyes fell on my cell-phone on my nightstand. I could feel my heart beat increase as I reached out to answer the  phone and seeing that it was Jonghyun calling. This was the call I had been waiting for and dreading a tiny bit. All of my questions that had been buzzing around in my head ever since my last conversation with Jonghyun would soon be answered. Still for some reason I felt myself hesitating to press the 'Accept' button on my phone and answer the call. I couldn't say why I felt this way just that I knew that as soon as I answered this call nothing would be the same ever again. Still, I needed to know how Jonghyun was doing and what had happened with Key and so I took a deep breath and answered the phone.

"Yoboseyo." I said into the phone.

"Oh! I was about to hang up. Did I wake you?" I heard Jonghyun said and I frowned, taking in his tone. He didn't sound sad or angry or any sort of negative emotion what so ever. As a matter of fact, he sounded happy, and quite happy at that. What could possibly make him so happy? That feeling again began creeping in that things were about to change.

"Ah yeah, I was waiting for your call and fell asleep." I said yawning as I settled back down onto the bed.

"Oh sorry for waking you up babe. I should've called later." Jonghyun said and I smiled slightly.

"Sooo....what happened?" I asked plunging into the deep unknown water. "You sound very happy."

"The best thing in the world." Jonghyun said happily and I frowned, feeling an odd sensation settling in my stomach. "You wouldn't believe it baby. I still can't believe it."

"What? You won the jackpot?" I joked weakly as I swallowed wondering if my wish had been granted after all.

"Better!" Jonghyun said with a happy laugh and I closed my eyes. "KEY WOKE UP BABY!!"

I knew it. From the time I had heard the happy tone of his voice I had known. My wish had been granted after all. Jonghyun's true love and life line had leaped straight back into his life. Don't get me wrong. I was happy for him. I knew how much he loves and cares for Key but I couldn't help wondering what was going to happen with me now? Would Jonghyun leave me for Key? Would he no longer feel the need to have me around? He had made me promise to be here when he comes home, what if he wouldn't want that anymore now that Key was awake? I bit my lips. I remembered the feeling I had had before I answered the phone. I had been right. Nothing was going to be the same ever again. I was in love with someone who had someone else in his heart. And that someone was not going to die as we had feared but instead he was once again back in Jonghyun's life. I knew what was going to come next and squeezed my eyes shut.

"Babe you there?" Jonghyun asked and I realized I hadn't spoken a word ever since he had dropped the news.

"Ah, yeah. Glad to hear Key oppa is going to live after all." I said weakly even as I tried to make my voice sound unbelievably happy.

"Yeah I still can't believe it. I swear it feels as if I'm dreaming and I would wake up soon to find out that this was just a cruel dream." Jonghyun said, his happiness overshadowing how hallow I had sounded.

"Life wouldn't be that cruel to someone as loving and caring as you, oppa." I said even as I bit my lips to prevent the flood of my emotions.

"It almost was..." Jonghyun said quietly and I bit my lips. "But it gave me you during those times and because you've been there for me, good things have happened."

"Oh please..." I said pretending to scoff and he chuckled. It was nice to hear him so happy compared to how down he had been lately and I smiled thankful that something that was important to him had been returned. "I'm sure you'd have managed just fine without me."

"No, without you I'd probably have been dead by now or in an institution." Jonghyun admitted quietly and I closed my eyes as the first tear drop escaped.

"Jonghyun..." I said as I tried to keep myself from crying at my unfortunate fate. "You need to give yourself more credit baby. I'm sure you'd have pulled through somehow." He snorted and so I added, "You just did better with me around.. hehehe~~"

"Fine if that's how you want to put it." Jonghyun said laughing and I smiled as I listened to him laughing.

"It's nice to hear you laughing." I said without thought and then flushed brightly and hid my face even though he couldn't see me.

"You're hiding your face aren't you?" Jonghyun said in a teasing voice and I tried to stutter a denial.

"I..You...What...No...I..Shut up.." I pouted as Jonghyun kept laughing.

"Now you're pouting that y lips of yours..." Jonghyun teased and I huffed causing him to laugh. "I can see you~~"

"You sound like a creepy ." I said but I was smiling. "Why am I dating a creepy !?"

"What?! I'm not a !" Jonghyun said in absolute denial. "Would you leave me if I was?"

"Yes~~" I said teasingly.

"What! No baby you can't leave me! I'm nothing with you..." Jonghyun said dramatically and I laughed. "What would I do without you?!"

"You'd have Key..." I said without thinking and then stopped laughing as I bit my lips. Yes, If I left him he would be with his Key. He could leave me anytime he wanted now to be with his true love.

"True~ I'm sure he doesn't think I'm a ~~" Jonghyun said laughing but when he realised I had gone quiet he called into the phone. "Babe? You there? You know I was just joking right?"

"Yeah..." was all I could say because I knew that if Jonghyun wanted it could become more than a simple joke.

"Baby..." Jonghyun said and sighed. I bit my lips not wanting to hear anything at the moment as I felt my tears welling up in my eyes. I may love him with my entire soul but for him, Key would always come first.

"When is Key oppa getting discharged?" I asked quickly.

"I don't know. We might know tomorrow." Jonghyun said and I bit my lips. "But we--"

"Well I guess you're gonne stay until then..." I said more of a statement of fact than a question.

"I...." Jonghyun began and I got my answer. The tears spilled over and I took a deep breath quickly.

"Okay. Well, we'll talk again later. I have a busy day tomorrow so bye." I said cutting the phone off before Jonghyun could even reply.

I turned over in bed and buried my face into my pillow as I felt the tears spill over. I was being stupid. What the hell was I crying about? Jonghyun hadn't broken up with me. He hadn't said that he no longer needed  me anymore. He didn't say that he was going to run off into the sunset with Key now that he was awake. So why was I lying here crying my heart out? Key was someone important to him so naturally he would want to be around him a lot especially siince Key had almost left his life personally. There was no need for me to be feeling as if I had just had my heart ripped out of my chest. Had I not prayed and hoped that Key woke up form his coma? Had I not said that I would be there for Jonghyun no matter what? Had I not promised Jonghyun to be here when he returns home? Had he not begged me to not leave him? Had I not decided that no matter what happened I wouldn't be selfish and run away? So then what the hell was I doing acting like I was? I heard my phone ringing and turned to see that it was Jonghyun calling back. I bit my lips guilty as I stared at my screen. I didn't want to answer it but I knew that he would keep calling until I did and there was no way I could say that I had fallen asleep that quickly. I could say I went to the bathroom or to the kitchen or that---I gave up on the excuses forming in my head and just reached over and answered the phone.

"Yobo---" I didn't even get to speak properly before Jonghyun was speaking.

"Baby please don't cry." Jonghyun said sadly and I felt the tears that had stopped, forming once again in my eyes.

"I'm not.." I began trying to deny the fact that I had been crying.

"Don't. I know. I can tell." Jonghyun said and I hated how sad he sounded and that I was the one who made him sad. "We've been together for a long time now and I know you."

"Jonghyun..." I sniffed as my throat clogged up. I was unable to say more.

"I can't say I understand how you must be feeling but I'm not blind to it babe." Jonghyun said and I sniffled again as the tears ran down my cheeks. "I know our situation just got more complicated but I mean it very much when I say that I love you. I love you very much."

"But you love him more..." I bit out as I tried to keep my voice from cracking.

"Babe...I...I know I'm asking for a lot when I plead with you to bare with me. Heck I don't even deserve to ask such a thing from you." Jonghyun said and I stuffed my fist into my mouth to prevent the sob from breaking out. "He and I...we need to talk..I..we need to figure this thing out...I don't want to lose either of you..."

"You have your cake and eat it too..." I said before shutting my mouth hastily. What the hell was I saying? Was I asking for him to break up with me? Was I telling him to choose? Had I not just reminded myself that I would not be selfish? "I mean...."

"I know. I know I'm being selfish...but I don't...No I can't lose you." Jonghyun said and I felt my tears flow even more at how sad he sounded. "But at the same time, I can't lose Key either. I'm so confused and everything is just in a mass confusion. I'm happy he's awake and not dying. I'm happy he'll be in my life once more. I'm in love with him and I'm in love with you. I don't know what to do baby. I don't--"

I heard his voice crack and I sniffled. "Jonghyun...I'm sorry..." I said feeling suddenly ashamed of myself. Some girlfriend I was. "I...I know you guys need to talk and stuff...just...whatever you decide...tell me the truth right away. Don't drag it out. If you don't want me anymore...just tell me. I will understand."

"How did I ever find such a wonderful person like you?" Jonghyun asked and I laughed.

"I'm not wonderful Jonghyun." I said bitterly. "I'm just your average jealous, insecure girl who's in love with someone who she knew was never hers to begin with."

"That's not true...I am yours...And you are once of the most wonderful, kind hearted and understanding person that I know." Jonghyun said and I sighed as I wiped away my tears.

"No I'm not." I replied quietly. "I'm selfish. I want you all to myself. I don't want you to love anyone else besides me. I want you all for myself. I'm not as kind hearted as you think I am. I'm not as understanding either. But for your sake...and for the sake of not losing you...I try to be...I'm pathetic."

"No...You're not. Don't speak of yourself like that." Jonghyun said, his tone deeply colored with disapproval. "Besides it's not like you're to be blamed for wanting me all to yourself. I heard I am quite the catch. Irresistible and all of that."

I lay there in the dark blinking up at my ceiling for a couple of seconds before I felt a bubble of laughter formed in chest and burst out through my mouth. And then I was laughing like I hadn't laughed for a while and I heard Jonghyun chuckling with me. "Ahhh, so full of himself, he is." I said chuckling, glad that he had tried to lighten the mood.

"I'm SHINee's Bling Bling Jonghyun after all." Jonghyun said in an arrogant voice and I laughed. "Everyone screams and faint at the sight of me. Many has tried to bag me but I had remained unreachable until you came along."

"Lucky me~ Power to me~" I said laughing. "If only they knew how much you snored when you sleep. God I swear I get up looking around for a giant but instead finds a dwarf."

"YAH!! I don't snore and I'm certainly not a dwarf!" Jonghyun growled and I giggled.

"Are too~~" I sang and he growled again.

"You're one to talk...you're shorter than me remember." Jonghyun said in a smug tone.

"Shut up." I said as he was indeed taller than me but only by a few inches. "I wear heels anyway so I don't look as short as you."

"Insoles baby~" Jonghyun said and I huffed at him causing him to laugh.

"Good night and Good bye Kim Jonghyun." I said into the phone in pretend anger but Jonghyun only laughed louder. "Jonghyunie..."

"Good sleep my love." Jonghyun said chuckling. "Sleep well. I will call again when I know more."

"Okie. Tell Kibum oppa I wish him a speedy recovery." I said yawning.

"I will, now go sleep and stop yawning." Jonghyun said in a soft voice and I smiled. I really loved this guy. "Dream of me~"

"Eww...That'd be a nightmare." I said teasingly. "I think I'm gonna dream of this hot model I had to pair up with recently..."

"YAH!!" Jonghyun yelled and I laughed. "Me and ONLY ME is allowed in your dreams or your thoughts."

"What? On who say so?" I asked laughing.

"On my say so." Jonghyun huffed.

"And who are you to say so?" I asked pretending to ponder over that.

"Your lover. Your boyfriend. Your everything!" Jonghyun declared and I smiled. "Just you wait until I come home! Imma punish you go and proper."

"Ooohhh I'm s-scareddd~~" I sang and Jonghyun growled. "But you know about what you said...Couldn't have said it better. You are my everything so don't break me. Please." I said quietly. "See you when I see you."

"I love you jagiya." Jonghyun said and I smiled at the love in his voice.

"I love you too Jonghyunie." I said before hanging up.

There may be many difficult things in the future but one thing was certain and that was that Jonghyun loved me and I loved him. Whatever happens with Key, we will figure it all out and whatever decision he makes I will stand by it because I don't ever want him to be sad. I wanted him happy and laughing and being himself. I wanted the nightmare that plagued him to stop. I want the burden that had been on him to disappear. I want that there be a way for him to keep us both without the pain and guilt. God, maybe you're up there as you seemed to have answered my prayer for Kibum. So could you grant this one other wish of mine as well? Could there be a way for Jonghyun to have us both in life without everything that usually came with having two loved ones as a part of your life? Can I not lose Jonghyun? I'm begging you here with my whole heart. I love him too much to lose him though if he chose Key in the end I would let him go. It would kill me but I would do it. I closed my eyes and felt myself drift asleep as my mind suddenly felt exhausted.

 

 

a/n: ANNYEONG MY LOVELIES~~ I'M HERE TO GIVE YOU A NEW CHAPTER~~^^

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT~~ HOPE YOU ENJOY IT~~^^

UNTIL THE NEXT TIME A MIRACLE HAPPENS AND MY FINGERS DANCE OVER THE KEYBOARDS TO GIVE YOU ANOTHER UPDATE~~

ANNYEONG~~XOXOXO~~