Memories

From Broken to Healed

 

“Yah! _____” Kimmy called as I was munching away at my breakfast. I looked up at her questioningly. “Did you see this?”

I frowned as she waved a paper in front of my face before dropping it down on to the table. My eyes widened at the sight of the picture covering the front page. It was a picture of Jonghyun and me kissing at the airport the morning he had left. Ugh! I guess I should’ve known something like this would’ve happened. I stared at the caption:

 

SHINee KIM JONGHYUN AND MODEL _______________ STILL GOING STRONG.

Steamy make out scene at Icheon International Airport...

 

Another caption below caught my eyes.

 

Is SM Entertainment planning a SHINee reunion?

SHINee members Kim Jonghyun, Choi Minho, Lee Taemin and Lee Jinki spotted leaving Icheon International Airport on the same day.

 

I felt my heart clench as I read the caption.

‘If only that was the case.’ I thought feeling my appetite leaving me.

I pushed the food idly around in my plate before getting up and dumping it in the trash. I needed a shower. Maybe then I would feel a bit better. Trying not to notice Kimmy’s disappointed look, I announced that I was gonna take a shower.

“Hey Ricky is coming over soon.” She called from the doorway. Why did she keep emphasizing that? It’s not like she hadn’t told me already. “Will you stay?”

“I think I’ll go home. I’m really tired Kimmy love.” I called turning on the shower.

The cool water felt good on my skin and I reveled in it. I thought back to the conversation I had had with Jonghyun. I sighed resting my forehead against the cool tile walls. What was happening right this moment? Why had they been called back to the hospital? What was so urgent? Were they going to pull the plug on Kibum-shii now? OMG I really didn’t want to think about that. Surely God was not that cruel as to take away Jonghyun’s source of life from him. I closed my eyes in a desperate prayer, begging with all my heart that Kibum woke up from this coma. It would require a miracle. I knew I was asking for a miracle. But if there was anyone out there who deserved a miracle, it was Jonghyun.

 

MINHO POV

This was really happening. It was not a dream. So many years have passed ever since I had seen his bright, beautiful smile. So many years since I have dreamed of see that radiant smile of his again. So many years of yearning for his warm friendship and thinking that I would never experience it ever again. The pain won’t go away. I didn’t want to go on being SHINee without him. SHINee was not SHINee without all five of us. I never realized before how big a role he played in my everyday life until his presence was no longer there. They say you never know what you have until it’s gone. How true that had been in my case. I never showed him how much he meant to me when he was there right next to me. I was always annoyed with him, misunderstanding him, not showing him how dear he was to me.

I felt the tears running down my cheek as I stood there in his hospital room watching his parents crying by his bed side. So many memories ran through my head as I tried not to bawl my eyes out like a little baby as I stared at the scene before my eyes. I struggled with the knot in my chest but I couldn’t keep in. The heart-wrenching sob escaped as I clamped my hand over my mouth, as I blinked my eyes rapidly. In life second chances don’t come often but when they do you should always reach out with both hands and grab it tightly. Life is precious like that. Here today, gone tomorrow. This was the reality of the world we lived in. That was life. I wiped the tears away as I heard a voice sobbed out,

“Umma!!!!”

 

TAEMIN POV

“Umma!!!!” I sobbed my brains refusing to properly process what I was seeing.

Surely this was a trick. An ugly trick being played on me by some mythical creature. Puck maybe? Like in Mid-summer’s Night Dream.  This had to be an illusion of sorts then. Although he had been a complete stranger at first, I had easily warmed up to him. He had taken care of me as if I was his own flesh and blood. His natural way of fussing over me, even after we had debuted as the five member group SHINee, earned his the title of the group’s umma. Even though he fussed over everyone in the group, I had been the only he would let call him ‘umma’. I remembered that one time Jonghyun hyung nearly ended up fatally injured with a frying pan after having teased Kibum hyung so much about being an umma. Kibum hyung had picked up the frying pan and had stared, according to Jonghyun hyung, at him as if he was possessed by the devil himself. That had been the last time Jonghyun hyung had teased Key hyung about being the umma. Those two were always nagging at each other nevertheless. It had always been something to envy the way their friendship had only seemed to continue growing stronger. Even through our rise to fame, Kibum hyung had remained humble and blunt as ever.

Beneath all that tough hardness, I knew however that Kibum hyung had a kind and caring heart. He took care of the members and always had my back whenever I needed him. It had come to the point where I had come to take his presence in my life for granted. He would always be there for me when I needed him. I strongly believed that. And then the accident had happened followed by the scary attack that had removed his presence from my life. I never got to tell him ‘thank you’ for all he had done for me. I never got to tell him how much I loved him. I never got to see his lovely smile ever again. He had become a still form, just lying there looking like an angel sleeping. Every day I prayed that the pain would diminish, that the wound he had opened in my heart would somehow heal. I prayed that he would wake up from this coma. I stayed away as best as I could from the other members, hiding from the pain that would stab me sharply in my heart every time I see them. They reminded me of Key hyung and the fact that there was not much hope that he would wake. Onew hyung, I couldn’t really avoid as we worked at the same place. Still, whenever I could I tried my best to avoid him. None of the other members ever pushed for a gathering. I guess we all felt the same way. Without Key hyung there we were just an empty circle, constantly reminded of that tragic day.

Siwon hyung always said that if you went to church and prayed wholeheartedly, there was no wish God would not answer. I had believed that for a while and had done exactly that; praying for Kibum hyung’s recovery. That was a prayer that went unanswered for so long that I gave up completely. That is, until the news came of his impending death. That day, I went to church and I wept and prayed. I prayed for a miracle. Everything happens when they’re supposed to happen, was something I always heard from my mother. Today I understood what she really meant as I stood crying in Kibum hyung’s hospital room. All those years ago, it had not been Kibum hyung’s time yet but now... yes now was his time. I wiped my tears with the back of my hand as I heard Jinki hyung say in a choked voice,

“Kibum-ah...”

 

JINKI POV

“Kibum-ah...” I whispered as the tears ran freely down my cheek.

Was this really happening? I had not step into some alternate dimension right? What I was seeing before my eyes was really real? As the leader I had been one of the first members to meet him. He had been so quiet back then that even I had developed the nature of becoming quiet from out of nowhere. Sometimes he would look so sad and so I did exaggerated things just so I could see his lips curve up into a smile. I did that for all of my members. If they were happy, I was satisfied that I wasn't a total failure of a leader and a hyung. Although I had never been one for shopping, I would go whenever he asked me to go with him. Those opportunities weren't often though as it was always Jonghyun who would be there to go with him. Still, Kibum and I had gotten close to each other over the harsh years as trainees. By the time we had debuted, SHINee had become like an extension of my family. I watched over them like a proud father as we grew together into our roles and our popularity. Kibum had a knack for cooking and I enjoyed his food often. It reminded me of home with a foreign spin to it. Even though he'd huffed about me always eating, he would prepare the food I wanted with a smile on his face. He was that kind of caring person.

The day the incident happened, everything changed. SHINee became the group with four conscious members and one unconscious member. I don't I had ever felt so scared and helpless in my life before as I had stood there and listened to the doctors saying that Key was in a coma and that it was unsure when he would wake from it. I wasn't sure how to move on from that point. What was I supposed to do? What was I supposed to say? I had looked at the crying faces of my members and I had never in my life felt so powerless to do anything to sooth their pain. I was the leader. I was their hyung and yet I couldn't be a proper one to them at that moment. I had been falling apart myself. How were we supposed to move on from this? I didn't know. I had no answers. The future was uncertain. We could still perform as SHINee but somehow that didn't feel right. It wasn't SHINee without al five of us. I also wasn't sure I'd be able to face our fans either. I knew in my heart that the girls who did this to us were the extreme kind of fan and that I should dislike my normal loyal fans but I just couldn't convince myself of this while hearing Key would probably never wake up. There was no way I could smile at our fans without wondering when some one of them might try to harm us again. As we had sat crying in each other's arms our manager had come to inform us that we were given a break until we could perform again. No one had said much on our ride back home. We stopped in front of our dormitory door and stared at each other for a long while before we turned to head back out. We had come to a decision and we weren't going to be swayed. Lee Soo-Man hyung-nim had taken the news fairly well. All he had asked was if we were certain of this decision, to which we had nodded.

"Very well...SHINee shall disband until Kim Kibum wakes." was all he had said before turning us loose.

That had been couple years ago and Key never woke. Everyone had gone their own way with the rare contact. By chance I had happened across Taemin at the place I thought singing. Even so, we had avoided contact whenever possible. The sight of each other brought up memories of SHINee and memories of SHINee were also memories of Kibum. And so we had gone about our life until that phone call that had gathered us up here. We had come with heavy hearts to say our goodbyes and prayed for a miracle. Heartfelt prayers never fall on deaf ears, Siwon hyung always used to say. Today, it would seem he was telling the truth. I brushed the tears away and smiled from the bottom of my heart as he turned his head towards us. I must remember to thank Siwon hyung for his wise words.

"Annyeong..." He said and I saw the others rush over to the bed with Jonghyun leading the way. I smiled at him happily as I too made my way over. I had thought I'd never hear that voice again.

 

A/N: AHHH~~~THERE YOU GO~~LOCKETS!! DO YOU SEE THE LIGHT? XD

IF YOU TELL ME NO I WILL SHINE SOME LIGHTS IN Y'ALL FACES~~KEKEKEKE~~

HEHEHE~~HOPE Y'ALL ENJOY IT~~ PLEASE COMMENT~~^^

UNTIL NEXT TIME~~~ANNYEONG~~