Prologue

Catalyst

 

 

The rain fell in smooth sonnets of separate syllables, all holding a calm rhyme scheme. Each drop was like a whisper of a poetic symphony, lacing itself throughout the night as the city closed down. Tremors of clamping gates were basses and harsh procussions to the orchestra.


One fast foot fall after the other invaded the raveling night as the moon rose to its full peak - splashes of disturbed pavement puddles soaked the bottoms of their jeans.


Together, two pairs raced as fast as their feet could carry, adding a dramatic rise to the symphonically poetic rain fall. Their heavy breaths emitted into the damp, yet cold, atmosphere, the warm coloured street lights shutting down one by one in their pursuit as if chasing them to their destination. Replacing the once gentle orange tones, were florescent blue lights that would have signaled coming danger back before the war; now, they represented the rise of the guards, the harsh stomps of military boots, and the threatening clicks of loading ammunition.


Closer and closer, the coupled pair of splashing feet and quickening breaths came to reach their destination - a tall apartment building made of glass and granite. It was only minutes before the streets would flood with armored men and “PIO’s”, all holding the intent to take in anyone that was caught on the street’s without a night permit - that of which, the couple did not possess.


“Hyung, run faster...” One of the two murmured to his other who was lagging behind, hand firmly clasped in his own.


“I a-” The other tried to get out from his plush lips, but his breath was harsh and heavy, his chest was heaving, and his eyes were closing and opening frequently - both from the pattering syllables of the dark night and the exhaustion washing over him.


Faster feet, stronger chorus, heaving breaths of the percussionists, and then finally the of the screech of the steel door...


The resolution followed with the muffled murmurs of the poet and conductors last lines... The rain was only a sweet tapping outside of the heavy steel, fading out into the end as the door shut with the last seconds of lock down. The pairs breath and their soaked persons dripping to the aluminum floor was the only thing heard as the final click of safe confinement rung around them.


Both were safe.

 

 

Both were locked in.

 

 

But they weren't locked out...