The End

Six Degrees of Separation

 

 

 

Summer, 2011. . . .

 

“Let’s we date.” Said a good looking man in his early twenty to 17 years old, timid slender girl as they sat side by side in the park bench in the middle of summer accompanied by the crowded around them. “Yuri, be my girlfriend.”

 

The girl looked up in disbelief.

 

“Be my girlfriend, will you?” Yunho demanded softly and smiled when he finally got her nod of approval. There was a hope gleaming in that pretty eyes of him she couldn’t turn him down.

 

“So, we are couple now, aren’t we?” The excitement in his tone made her heart lurch in joy. Yuri nodded with dazzle and awe stare at him as she processing her brain to work that she just got her dream guy as her boyfriend.

 

“Do you want ice cream?” Yunho pointed to the crowded ice cream-stall by the end of path. Again, she just nodded with shy smile.

 

“I’ll be fast. Wait for me sweetie.”

 

She blushed as she watched him walk away to buy her an ice cream. Of course she would wait for him. She had been waiting for him for two years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The end of autumn, the beginning of winter, 2011. . . .

 

“Yul, let’s break off.” The good looking boy said bluntly, causing the girl beside him to gape in disbelief and her joyful face fell instantly.

 

 They were sitting in the same park and the same bench where they were for the first time declared their love. The memories of six wonderful months she spent with Yunho scattered in her feet. The most hurting of all this, there was no sign of regret in his face, just a vacant eyes staring back at her.

 

A lump in choked her and the first tear finally dropped, following by the first snow of winter. The warm she felt earlier change into an empty darkness. He was serious. Yunho looked up to the sky. It was his signal.

 

“Why? Why you do this to me? You just kissed me with all your heart.” Yuri accused painfully.

 

“I can’t to be with you any longer. You are not meant to me.” He smiled sadly. “If you love me Yuri, you will let me go.”

 

That was her undoing. A hurt and hate crossed her lovely feature. She grabbed her bag and stood stiffly.

 

“I’ll do as you wish even though I don’t know your reason. I thank you for the happiness you gave me even though it ended with pain. I wish you good luck.” Another tear ran down her cheek. “Oh, and don’t ever come back to me.”

 

She had no idea that she would regret the last sentence she gave him for the rest of her life. Yuri dashed away as fast as she could. She never knew that he was crying in silent watching her back. She was too hurt, she wounded, and she was a broken lover.

 

 

 

 

The end of autumn, the beginning of winter, 2012. . . .

 

A year had passed. She survived and now she was starting her freshman days. A drop of the first snow stopped her track. She looked up and winced. She had a sudden dislike of a snow, of a winter, and of darkness. The pain was still fresh in her mind. His face always came in her dreams, the depressed Yunho. He looked lost and helpless, just staring at her with the same vacant stare every night. Never spoke and not even called her name.

 

A sudden jolt woke her up. Someone bumped into her and they both almost fell on the ground.

 

“I’m sorry miss.” A young man with tall and dazzling smile held her arms tightly. “You shouldn’t be daydreaming in the busy street.” He admonished softly.

 

Yuri smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry.”

 

His face softened. “Are you alright?”

 

“Yes.” She nodded shyly.

 

“Good. You should go home now. You are freezing.” He advised. She nodded again, dazzle with his sudden command. His hands let go off her as she stood steadily on her own.

 

“Good bye.” He grinned friendly and marched off to the opposite direction.

 

Yuri just blinked. There was something about the boy. Somehow he looked familiar. He made her remember of him. His smile, his lively spirit, his moves was reflection of Yunho. The boy ce again and waving his hand in gesture to dismiss her.

 

Could it be?” She stared at him with frown.

 

**************************

 

“How is she?” Yunho asked from his sickbed, a light of hope in his haggard face.

 

Changmin smiled as he closed the door for his brother eagerness about her news. “She seems fine, getting prettier each day.”  

 

“Did you get her picture today?” Yunho brows raised with expectation.

 

“A lot hyung. All picture captured her beauty.”

 

It was Changmin routine for the last one year, stalking the particular girl with camera hanging about his neck. He fished his bag and produced a heap of photo in his hand before transferring the papers into his hyung’ hands. As usual, Yunho started to smile when he examined the photo one by one.

 

“You’re right. She’s getting prettier.” He commented proudly.

 

A grim smiled marring his brother face. Changmin walked by the window to stare outside. He was hesitant to tell his hyung, but after a moment of silent, he turned and sat by his side.

 

“She’s unhappy. Everyone knows it.” Changmin said softly.

 

Yunho looked up with frown before continuing to examine her portrait. “You’re wrong. She’s happy.” Yunho forced.

 

He pointed one picture in front of his brother face. “Look at this. She was smiling and looked so peaceful. What I was doing is right.”

 

“Hyung,” Changmin admonished.

 

“Don’t you starting again. I’ve had enough of this. She is happy and that’s the end.” His brother looked at him with agonizing smile that seized Yunho’s heart.

 

“You need at least meet her once again before you leave. She deserves to know.” Changmin muttered sadly. “I don’t want you to go with regret.”

 

“No I can’t Min. Please leave me alone.” Yunho pointed angrily towards the closed door.

 

His brother was absolutely a stone-headed. Changmin was back down. He walked away with desperate sigh for his brother cussedness.

 

***************************

 

Yunho was coma. Changmin ran frantically to the hospital after hearing the news. No more Yuri-daily-observation. It was the end of it. He could not help a drop of tear fell from his eye. A thousand thought came to his mind. He wanted to bring Yuri so that his hyung could see her for the last time. He halted abruptly between the pedestrian. Yes, he must bring Yuri.

 

Changmin turned and ran to the opposite direction, to Yuri’s hostel. He ran out of breath when he arrived in the lobby. The receptionist, a young dark-haired woman, stared at him with pity.

 

“Kwon Yuri. Get kwon Yuri for me please,” He pleaded between his erratic breaths.

 

The woman blushed when he looked at her, nodded and dashed to get what he wanted. Five seconds later, two voices of talking female got his attention. Changmin waited expectantly and almost kneel down in relief when Yuri was the one walking with the receptionist earlier. Without wasting time, he approached her.

 

“If I ask you to come with me, will you agree?” He asked urgently. Yuri blinked at him.

 

“Say this is for my brother. Will you please come with me and meet my brother?” He urged.

 

Yuri’s heart lurched to . She felt uneasy with his request. But she just couldn’t turn him down. The man in front of her looked in distress. She nodded and gasped in surprise when he seized her hand and starting to run. Luck for her, she wore her mantel. They ran under the snow. Yuri was afraid to ask, so she just followed in silent. They arrived at hospital. Something was amiss, Yuri sensed but it was hard for her to ask.  

 

“Come,” He pulled her inside the lift when the door swayed open. “Please, please God. Let him see her for the last time.” Changmin mumbled loudly with his head bent low and eyes closed, oblivious with Yuri’s curious stare. He was still holding her hand tightly.

 

The door swayed open and without wasting time, he started to pull her again, running to one of the chamber. Before they enter the room, Changmin turned and faced her.

 

“I am so grateful you willing to follow me. Listen, I owe you so much Yuri, I am. Please don’t run away.” He begged and kneeling down suddenly.

 

How the hell he knows my name? The thought crossed her mind briefly and before she had a chance to think any further, Changmin opened the door. Yuri’s heart broke into pieces. Her hands were shaking in her sides.

 

“Please,”

 

She heard Changmin whispering his plea.

 

“Please forgive him.”

 

There was he, lying unconsciously in his sickbed. He was thin and pale, losing the sight of his vitality. Yuri sobbed as she approached Yunho.

 

“Wake up!” She shook his hand gently. “Wake up! You owe me explanation!”

 

The man didn’t even stir from his peaceful sleep. The only sign of life he showed was the click sound of the heart-machine beside the bed.

 

“Yunho, you can’t leave without even say me good bye!” She nudged his cold hand once more. “Open your eyes! You can’t leave me like this!”

 

It made him stir his eyes. Changmin stood by the door like a statue, watching their reunion.

 

Yunho blinked several time to adjust his eyes. He confused when someone familiar shouting his name, forcing him to open his eyes once more. His lips whispered unidentified words.

 

“Yunho,” She called softly.

 

The sick man’s eyes snapped open. It was his angel that stood by his side. His wounded angel came to see him. Her name escaped his mouth like a silent pray. She was crying because of him. It was the sight he hate the most. He wanted to wipe her tears away and brought smile back to that lovely face, but he couldn’t. Everything was too late. If only they didn’t meet. If only they didn’t falling in love. If only he could return back the time. If only God gave him chance.

 

“You owe me explanation.” She whispered painfully.

 

“I’ll leave you two alone.” Changmin muttered sadly at the threshold. A movement of Yunho’s hand stopped him.

 

“Stay, please.” Yunho managed to whisper weakly even though it cost all his energy left. Changmin nodded and stepped inside, slip on vacant seat next to the window. Yuri didn’t mind at all. Changmin was her hero. She kept looking at Yunho, at his haggard and lifeless face.

 

“You are heartless. How dare you to kick me out of your life?” Yuri accused.

 

Yunho pointed to the chair beside the bed and she sat as if she could read his mind. His hand reached her cheek, gently and wiping away her tears. Yuri leaned to his hand even though it felt cold. She missed his touch too much to even care.

 

Yunho breathed to collect his energy. “Changmin, do me a favor.” He managed to spoke.

 

“Oh please don’t talk anymore. I forgive you because I still love you.” She begged, hoping that it would stop him from his effort to talk since it drained his energy. He smiled weakly.

 

“Tell her the whole story after I’m gone.”

 

“Yunho, please.” She took his hand in between hers, trying in vain to warming his coldness.

 

“I love you too, will always love you my lovely Yuri.” He could barely opening and focusing his eyes anymore.

 

Oh no, Yuri screamed frantically asking for help. But Changmin came to her side and grip her shoulders firmly. She looked up and he was smiling apologetically at her.

 

“It’s his time. There’s nothing doctor can do anymore. Just hold him and guide him.”

 

Oh no, The last time they together, Yunho left her for one year, now he was about to leave her forever. She could feel his hand getting heavy and about to slip from hers.

 

“No, please, not yet. Don’t close your eyes baby. Look at me.” She begged desperately between Changmin's reassurance grip and Yunho's smiling face.

 

And he just closed his eyes and stop breathing. Minutes passed and she kept holding his hand. It was cold and stiff as the life slowly left him.

 

“I love you. I love you. I love you.” Yuri whispered as if it was a magic spell that could make him alive once again.

 

“Yuri,” Changmin shook her gently. “You can’t be like this. Yuri let him go.”  

 

“I can’t. I can’t.” She muttered hysterically,

 

“The nurses are here. They will take his body.”

 

Yuri looked up with glare. “No! I won’t leave him alone. He needs me!”

 

“Yuri, please. Don’t make this difficult.”

 

“Leave us alone!”

 

Changmin glanced at the nurse and was signaling her.

 

Yuri’s world was back to darkness. She was swayed by the waves of sea without any direction. She felt light but hurt. It was so hurt to even to breath. She tried to open her eyes despite the salty-water that sting her eyes. It was Yunho, standing by the sand near the only tree stood in the beach. What is he doing there? She wondered. But hey, it was the healthy Yunho, not the one she met at hospital lying in his sickbed. He smiled and waved at her.

 

Yuri struggled not to sink down. She began to moving her hands and feet. She was getting near to her dear Yunho. Oh it was him, the man she dated for six months. She fastened her movement in the cold water. Yunho ran over her to help her when she reached for the seashore.

 

“You said you love me.” She barely could stand when Yunho spoke.

 

“I love you.” She answered with frown.

 

“Will you stay with me if I ask?”

 

“Of course I am.”

 

He kneeled down one knee. “Kwon Yuri, stay with me please. We can be together now. No one can separate us.” Yuri blinked.

 

“Please. . .”

 

How many chance already she missed? Did she want to miss this one too? No. She examined him intently. He was the light of her life. She would stay wherever he was. She was part of him. They were meant to be.

 

Yuri kneel down and thrown her arms around him. He was warm and full of life. He was real, and he was only for her. They would grow old together, wouldn’t they? “I’ll be wherever you are.” She whispered sweetly. “I love you so much, Yunho.”

 

************************

 

Changmin ran his hands through his hair in despair. The nurse was just telling him that Yuri died in heart attack.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

kind of sad ending and unexpected, isn't it??

Well, I just finish make it and right away posting it.

bear with me and my grammatical error :)