Yoon

A Story of a Complicated Friendship

Jinhee sighed as she had to endure the same process two days in a row, but today’s process being even more strenuous than the day before because she had to look her very best. Today, she had to sit through a pedicure and a rose bath as well. It was way too much to her, but she knew it was likely all requested by her mother, so she just sat through it all anyway to humor her.

 

She sighed as she got out of the limo and stepped onto the red carpet. She smiled for the cameras and waved to all of them graciously, making her way to the entrance of the event. She was greeted enthusiastically by the staff, who she was sure were on the lookout for her. They guided her to the top of the top of the stairs where others were waiting to be announced. They led her to the front of the line, cutting all the others already waiting. They were going to complain until word got around as to who she was. They kept their mouths shut and watched her anxiously.

 

“Lady Ahn Jin Hee of Ahn Foundation of Asia!” Her name was announced and the entire building went into a hush to see her. They all had a vague idea of who she was and what she looked like, but very few have ever seen her in person. She usually only appeared at business meetings with her parents, or the weddings of major international leaders.

 

She, unlike the other women, descended the stair case to the ballroom by herself. To her credit, Jinhee moved like she owned the room, even if she was the smallest person there. The hostess, Yoon Ji Eun, the socialite wife of CEO Yoon Ha Suk, quickly came to greet Jinhee when she was down.

 

“Ahn Jinhee shi!” They politely grasped hands. “It’s so nice to finally meet you in person! You look beautiful!”

 

“Thank you. I love your dress, if only I was as beautiful as you, then I would be able to wear such a gown.” Jinhee smiled, playing her part perfectly.

 

“Oh you flatter me. Thank you so much for coming, dear. The food will be served in half an hour, feel free to mingle until then. One of my sons will find you and bring you to your seat when it is time.”

 

“Thank you so much for having me. It’s truly an honor.”

 

Jinhee inwardly sighed as she saw everyone eagerly figuring out when was the best time to approach her. She approached a couple that wasn’t far from where she was, having a conversation. She smiled and greeted them politely. They were making small talk and promising to meet them for brunch one day, though they both knew that would never happen.

 

She eventually made her way around the room, speaking to as many people as possible, letting them know she knew them, and her family cared about them, though really, they probably didn’t. She finally heard Lee Jong Hyun being announced when she was talking to a Japanese diplomat. Unfortunately, because he was so new, Jong Hyun wasn’t awarded with the same courtesies as she was. A server greeted him at the bottom of the staircase and, from what she could lip read, told him similar things to what Madam Yoon had told her earlier. Since he was an unknown, very few people were interested in him at all. Jinhee politely excused herself and made her way over to him, smiling.

 

He was standing to the side awkwardly smiling at people when he saw her coming to him. He already knew she was pretty, very pretty, but seeing her in casual date wear yesterday, and seeing her dressed to the nines tonight was completely different. He looked at her in awe. She was radiant.

 

“Lee Jong Hyun shi!” She held her hands out for him to clasp.

 

He looked like she was going to hug her, probably because he didn’t understand. She laughed and held out a hand to stop him.

 

“You hold my hands as a polite manner of affectionately greeting me in formal functions.” She explained, holding her hands out again. “This is also my way of helping you get your name out there.” She grinned. “I knew it, you don’t belong here. Your company still isn’t big enough.” She sighed.

 

“Yeah, I’m in a bit of a culture shock right now.” He laughed nervously holding her hands, praying they weren’t sweaty or cold, but reveling in the fact that her tiny hands were perfect and holding his. “But really? Hand holding?”

 

“You don’t want to hold my hands?” She smirked, moving to let go, but he held on firmly.

 

“I want to!” He blushed.

 

“Yes, this is a more affectionate manner of greeting and speaking to someone, and we’re not really that close, I’m doing this for you. If people know we know each other and are close enough to greet like this in public, I guarantee you, the moment I leave your side, more people will talk to you. You don’t just hold hands with anyone here, and I’m sure I’m the only one here it would be okay for you to do this with. Don’t even try this with the Russian diplomat.”

 

“There’s a Russian diplomat?!” His eyes bulged from his face, making her giggle.

 

“Yes, there are a lot of people. I think your people should have given you the list of guests to prepare you for this.” Jinhee shook her head smiling at the taller man.

 

“Why is everyone looking at us?”

 

“They’re looking because they don’t know who you are, but they know who I am. They’re confused.”

 

“Oh. Okay. You look beautiful by the way.”

 

“Thank you.” She beamed. “You look great too. You heeded my advice to dress to impress very well.”

 

A server walking around with a tray of champagne came by. Jinhee smoothly took two glasses for them.

 

She took a sip from her glass after handing one to him. She smiled at his questioning look. “Yes, I’m under aged, but that’s not a big deal here as long as I don’t get drunk.”

 

“I see.” He smiled and sipped at his glass as well.

 

“Lady Ahn Jin Hee…” A voice hesitantly called out to her behind her. She turned around and saw a nervous looking Doojoon.

 

“Yes?” She smiled up at him, unfazed by his sudden appearance.

 

“I’m to show you to your seat.” He tried not to look at her in the eyes.

 

“Okay.” She nodded and turned back to Jong Hyun, “I’ll see you after dinner?” He nodded and smiled as a server guided him to his seat.

 

“So…” Doojoon cleared his throat awkwardly.

 

“I already knew.” Jinhee smiled up at him.

 

“You did?” He was surprised, but still held out his arm for her to hold.

 

“Yes. I knew the first time I saw you.”

 

“How did you know? This is my first public event.”

 

“You know the saying ‘Takes one to know one’? Well, class can read class on others. When I first saw you, I could just tell you were upper class, and probably for a few generations. I had my assistant look you up, and though it was tough finding information on you, I eventually found out you were the second son of the Yoon family. But you weren’t telling, so neither was I.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“You know how you can read people and the situations around you?”

 

“Kind of…”

 

“It’s what people like us do. Read people. It makes us successful and popular if we understand what’s going on around us. Junhyung and Dongwoon can do it too, because they’ve grown up with me. Junhyung is much more proficient though. Dongwoon is easily distracted.”

 

“Ah, I see. So when I can tell you or someone is uncomfortable, but others can’t…?”

 

“Yes. You are reading the person.” We made it to the table she was to sit at. “This is the main table…” This table was set aside for major political and economic figure heads. Her parents belonged to this category; she was their child, and children do not sit at the main table.

 

“You’re practically the guest of honor.” He chuckled. “You have to sit where everyone can see you.”

 

“Makes sense. Where do you sit?”

 

“Right here.” Doojoon smiled and pointed to the seat right next to her. “I was strategically placed here by mother dearest.”

 

“Of course she did. The good looking second son, that’s coincidentally the same age as me, should of course be my seating partner for dinner.” Jinhee giggled.

 

They both greeted everyone at the table and sat down. Many of the others there were huge people internationally. Neither of the two students particularly liked the way Madam Yoon was eying them as they talked to each other, but both expected as much.

 

“You look really pretty, in case I was an idiot and forgot to tell you.” Doojoon smiled, moving her glass of water closer to her for her.

 

“Yes, you were an idiot and forgot, but thank you nonetheless. You look quite dashing yourself. If the girls at school saw us now, I’d be killed on the spot.”

 

“If the guys at school saw us, the same would happen.”

 

“I do agree. You are good looking enough to turn them gay and kill me.” Jinhee nodded.

 

Doojoon choked on his drink laughing. Jinhee laughed and helped him wipe his face.

 

“You had to say that when I was drinking water, didn’t you?”

 

“If not then, then when?” She smirked.

 

“You’re so evil.”

 

“I wouldn’t be bad mouthing the one that knows your secret.” She .

 

“I’m sorry!” He said quickly, laughing.

 

“You two look like such a great couple. You two should date.” The others at the table smiled at them.

 

They chuckled awkwardly.

 

“We’re just friends.” Jinhee smiled.

 

“Aw, but you look cute together.”

 

“I think it’s just that he’s so good looking, any passably attractive girl would look great on his arm.” Jinhee joked.

 

“Oh please. You? Passably attractive? Please!” Doojoon scoffed. “It’s more like, you’re so pretty that you look good with any tall guy.”

 

“I’m short, everyone’s tall next to me.” She rolled her eyes.

 

“Look at you two flirting right now! Definitely date!”

 

“Oh stop it you.” Jinhee laughed with the others in the table. “If you keep going on like this, we’ll become awkward!”

 

“So very awkward.” Doojoon nodded solemnly.

 

“Seriously? You’re just egging them on aren’t you?” Jinhee mock glared up at him.

 

“I was just agreeing with you!” He back tracked with his hands up in surrender.

 

“Sure you were. Eat your food.” Jinhee scoffed.

 

“I think Doojoon really makes you shine. Before you were very professional, very mature, but he makes you act closer to your age. Maybe it’s because you’re both 18.”

 

“Well, we’re actually friends outside of this room too. We hang out a lot.” Doojoon grinned.

 

“By hang out, you mean date?”

 

“By hang out, we mean eating with our big group of friends, doing homework, and just relaxing together as a large group of friends.” Doojoon explained laughing.

 

“You go to the same school, right?” Madam Yoon smiled.

 

“Yes we do. We’re in the same class.” Jinhee nodded, though she didn’t like that the others knew where she went to school. They’d start to send their kids to her school once they did. Doojoon didn’t seem to like that they knew where he went to school either.

 

“Oh, then you two should really date!”

 

“Please stop~!” Jinhee laughed, exasperated, “Just friends!”

 

“If you don’t want to date him, I have a nephew…” And so it began. They were trying to set her up. Maybe she should have just said yes to her dating Doojoon to have prevented this.

 

She deflected all of their offers with ease, as her mother taught her to do since she was young.  Finally the dinner was done, and people were dancing on the floor with each other. Jinhee noticed the signal Madam Yoon sent her son, and smiled up at him.

 

“She wants us to dance.” She said first, chuckling.

 

“Yeah… But it’s fine if you don’t want to. I have to do what she says, you don’t.”

 

“Why wouldn’t I want to dance with you? But you’re going to have to ask me officially.” She chuckled and turned away chicly.

 

He chuckled and stood up, “May I have this dance?”

 

She turned around and faked a surprised expression. “It would be my honor!” She giggled and took his hand.

 

Everyone had their eyes on them as they matched each other in the dance. Twirling around beautifully, more and more people said similar things as their dinner table had. They look great together.

 

For her, the dance itself was an interesting experience. She was rarely one to be dominated or lead, especially in dances. Though the female part was typically submissive, she danced her part firmly leading the dance with ease, no matter who she was dancing with, unless it was Dongwoon or Junhyung. Typically her dancing partners were startled by her skills and accidentally fell into a more submissive pace, or they were intimidated by her station and became submissive due to nerves.

 

But Doojoon was different. He was firm and confident, leading her with ease. She didn’t take this lying down. It was a battle between the two of them. She fought for control, sometimes winning, sometimes losing. They both wanted to win. Doojoon smirked when it came to the end of the dance, and she found herself leaning back in a dip, being supported by just his arms. She glared up at him. “Jerk.” They laughed when she was standing up again.

 

“I still won.” He stuck his tongue out at her.

 

“Whatever. You go entertain more guests as I look for my blind date from yesterday.” They separated and she found Jong Hyun looking at her quietly from the side. She’d noticed during the dinner and the dance that manner people were coming up to him to talk, as she had expected they would.

 

“Jong Hyun shi!” She grinned up at him and held out her hands for him to hold. She noticed he was depressed as he held her hands politely. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I want to dance with you, but I’m nowhere near as good as he is. You too looked great together. I’m way out of my league here.” He sighed.

 

“Nonsense. He and I are school friends, and just that. You and I however, are in the beginning stages of dating. I hope?”

 

“Yes! Definitely! I mean, that would be an honor for me.” He smiled, holding her hand with fervor now.

 

They stared at each other in silence for a while until Jinhee just laughed.

 

“This is where you ask me to dance.”

 

“Oh! Would you like to dance?”

 

“I would be honored.” She led him to the floor, as he was too nervous to lead her, or to even walk beside her. She had to stop and chastise him. “Walk by my side. Directly by my side, so we’re equal and can talk. If you keep slouching and walking behind others, you’ll get nowhere in life. Come on.” He smiled and did as she instructed.

 

“I’m sorry if I really at dancing and drag you down.” He said nervously when they were finally in place.

 

“It’s okay. Just do your best. I’ll lead you. I’ve had my fair share of bad dance partners. I’m sure you’re not that bad.”

 

They started, and he really wasn’t that bad, but after Doojoon, he was like a stumbling idiot. In the end, she was leading him, as she was most comfortable doing anyhow. He followed her very well, and he stopped stepping on her foot. They danced for two dances, her leading him, both becoming very comfortable dancing with each other, but eventually, she was interrupted by other men, and he had to awkwardly dance with other girls, but they danced her last dance of the night together.

 

Now, no one knew if she liked Doojoon, or this unknown person.

 

Though it was fairly early in the evening, she made the excuse of school, as did Doojoon, to leave early, saying her goodbyes to anyone on her way out.

 

“Our friends told me they wanted to sleepover at your place, and will probably be there already to surprise you when you get back.” Doojoon told her after his mother made him walk her out.

 

“That’s fine.” She nodded as she pulled out her phone and made a call.

 

“After you leave, I’ll go home and get changed, and then I’ll head over to your place. They all think I’m late because of a family thing, which is true, but not to this extent.”

 

“I understand.” She nodded.

 

“Hello?” She smiled as her favorite voice came out over the phone.

 

“Dongwoon!” Doojoon looked away to avoid laughing.

 

The girl confuses everyone in the banquet as to who has her attention, when it’s actually someone who is not even there.

 

“What’s up?” He asked, and she could almost see him yawning.

 

“Could you pick me up?”

 

“You’re not getting driven?”

 

“I want to see someone not dressed in a suit right now.” He could almost see her smiling and rolling her eyes as she says this.

 

“Okay. Where are you?” She told him where she was and the best route to take and then hung up, smiling.

 

“You really like him.” Doojoon smiled.

 

“You really like Jiwon. When did that even start by the way?”

 

“That first time we ate together, she caught my eye.” Doojoon was surprised, but figured if he could tell when she liked someone, she could tell when he liked someone as well. They both understood each other really well for people who’ve barely known each other. “I didn’t think I’d actually start liking her, but I did.”

 

“She and Jin Gyo are really happy…” It was almost a warning.

 

“I know. So I just watch them be happy.” He nodded and smiled sadly.

 

 

 


A/Note

 

This is my happy birthday Dongwoon update... Ironically, he doesn't even appear in this chapter except for a brief phonecall haha.

 

I forget that my readers are now younger than me. When I first started writing fanfics, I was 12 and everyone was older than me. Now I'm almost 19 and I'm the old one. Where has the time gone? I'm a freaking Unni now...

 

Was anyone surprised that Doojoon is a rich kid like Jinhee? I tried to hint at it, but without being overt.

 

I'm still trying to figure out Jong Hyun's character. He's just a cameo, so don't any of you get attached to him.

 

Random Question:

 

Do you watch Running Man? If yes, What's your favorite episode?

 

I've been hanging out with my mom lately and we've been on a Running Man spree for over a week. There are so many episodes for her to watch. It's crazy.

 

Thanks for reading, please comment and subscribe. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy in my gooey places.