Billy

A Story of a Complicated Friendship

“Could someone hand out the graded assignments while I go talk to Mr. Jin?” The teacher asked the students. No one volunteered.

 

“I’ll do it.” Jinhee stood up quietly and went to grab the papers.

 

“Not you. Someone else. You shouldn’t have to do something like this. Jooyeon, you do it.”

 

“Huh? Why? She already volunteered!” She whined.

 

“It’s really okay. I know everyone’s names anyway.” Jinhee tried to grab the papers again.

 

“No it’s really okay. You should just go sit back down and study.” The teacher laughed nervously. Jinhee sighed.

 

“Teacher, just let her do it. Stop making a fuss. You do this every time. Sheesh, just because she’s rich.” The girls rolled their eyes.

 

“I WANT to pass out the papers.” Jinhee growled through gritted teeth, already annoyed with this process.

 

“My God! I’ll do it!” Dongwoon yelled from the back, irritated, surprising everyone. He came to the front and grabbed the stack of papers. “Kwon Mina, you made a 42. Idiot.” He announced, holding the sheet up laughing.

 

“That’s not nice.” Jinhee frowned and took the stack of papers. She frowned at their teacher when he tried to protest again, “Don’t try and stop me. I’m doing it. Go talk to Mr. Jin and come back and teach the lesson and then let us out for the day. We don’t have time to be playing around like this. I want to get out of here eventually.” She glared up at the teacher; he meekly nodded in response and left. She turned her attention back to the tall student beside her, “And you should apologize to Mina. That was not nice of you to do that.”

 

“You still have that need to be fair and play hall monitor.” Dongwoon chuckled. He went over to the red faced girl clutching her graded paper and sat on her desk airily. “Sorry Mina. I was very mean. Will you forgive me?” He gave her his puppy dog eyes.

 

“Y-yes.” She stared wide eyed up at him.

 

“Awesome. All settled.” He jumped up and strolled back to his seat.

 

“What was that all about?” Doojoon looked over at his friendly curiously.

 

“I felt like being playful.” He shrugged.

 

“You’re not an antagonistic person; what was that about?” He asked again.

 

“I really don’t know. I just felt like it.”

 

“Hey! Guys! Let’s skip before your teacher comes back!” KiKwang ran in excitedly to see his two friends in this class, followed by two other boys. The girls in the room got infinitely louder and everyone was taking pictures.

 

Junhyung acknowledged Jinhee, who was still passing out papers, with a nod. She smiled back in her own polite greeting.

 

“Where’s Hyunseung?” They asked.

 

“He said he didn’t want to come. There was a club he wanted to join when class is let out. Said he met a girl really into butterflies; apparently she’s hot.” Yoseob laughed.

 

“Come on. Let’s go!” KiKwang tugged the two boys up.

 

“Yah! We can’t get in any more trouble this month. My mom will kill me.” Doojoon sighed and Dongwoon agreed.

 

“Just go. I’ll cover for you.” Jinhee whispered as she handed back their papers.

 

“How are you gonna do that?” KiKwang got uncomfortably close to her to ask. Dongwoon subtly pulled him back to sit on his desk instead of towering over the small girl.

 

“I have ways. Just go already.” Jinhee shooed them off, but it was too late. Their teacher already came back.

 

“What’s going on?”

 

“You see nothing.” Jinhee said, trying not to come off too harsh. “Go.” She turned to the boys and waved goodbye as she handed out the last of the papers for the students in the back of the room.

 

“Ahn Jinhee… I… I don’t think—”

 

“I’ll tell my mother you’re such a great teacher.” Jinhee said suddenly. “You deserve a raise.”

 

“I saw nothing.” He nodded quickly and turned his face to the chalk board.

 

“Wow. Awesome! Thanks!” The guys grinned and left.

 

“My mom says hi.” Junhyung whispered and left. She nodded in response when he glanced back at her.

 

“Why did you guys stop being friends with her? She’s cool!” Doojoon grinned as the five strolled out of the school. Any teacher that tried to stop them was appeased with a simple ‘Ahn Jinhee told us to get out.’

 

“We still talk every now and then.” Junhyung shrugged.

 

“You do?” Dongwoon looked over at him.

 

“Yeah, last month my mom told me to give her some homemade sweet buns. Then she showed up last week to give my mom a box of fresh abalone and pears and stayed for dinner.”

 

“Oh…” Dongwoon looked down at his feet as they continued walking.

 

“You have problems with her and her family. Not me.” Junhyung was the only one that really knew what happened. He was furious at first, but quickly realized Jinhee had no idea what happened and was actually probably really hurt, so he tried to remain acquaintances with her since Dongwoon couldn’t.

 

“You have problems with her?”

 

“That would explain the tension between you two when you were talking earlier.” Doojoon nodded.

 

“You talked to her?” Junhyung cocked an eyebrow at his cousin.

 

“It was about passing out papers.”

 

“She made him apologize to a girl for being mean. And he said something about Jinhee being a hall monitor.”

 

“Yah.” Junhyung frowned at Dongwoon.

 

“I know. I don’t know why I did that.” He sighed.

 

“Seriously, what happened?”

 

“Don’t worry about it.” The two cousins sighed together.

 

-Back in the classroom-

 

‘Ah, finally, peace and quiet.’ Jinhee thought to herself smiling when the guys left. She relaxed and took notes on the lecture. When class was finally let out, she found herself surrounded by a bunch of girls. She almost sighed out loud from the cliché. “Can I help you?”

 

“Who do you think you are?” One girl scoffed.

 

“My name is Ahn Jinhee.” She said patiently.

 

“Shut up.”

 

Jinhee sighed and nodded.

 

“Who are you to get so chummy with the boys? You think just because you have money, you’re on their level? Do you even wash your hair?”

 

“Ew, look at all this dirt under your nails.”

 

“These glasses are so out of style.”

 

“Do you wash your uniform ever? You shed dirt just sitting there.”

 

Jinhee sat there politely, listening to all they had to say, waiting for them to permit her to speak again.

 

“What, you’re not going to defend yourself?”

 

Ah, so it was okay to speak now. “I’m the president of the Small Critters Club. We went on a caterpillar cocoon hunt this morning to catalog our findings and try to track when they will complete their transformation. And I like my glasses.”

 

“You play with bugs?”

 

“Yes. Would you like to see them?” Jinhee smiled politely.

 

“You’re disgusting.” They shoved and threw her things all around the room. “Don’t talk to the boys, you’re low class even if you have lots of money.”

 

“Okay.” She smiled and nodded, getting up to pick up her things.

 

“Tch. How annoying.” They shoved Jinhee around.

 

Jinhee was starting to get annoyed. She was a patient girl, not usually the violent type, but once in a while, someone pisses her off, and her fists will move on their own.

 

“Hey, what are you guys doing?” A guy ran in to jump in between them. “Are you bullying this girl?” He asked. Jinhee couldn’t help but think he was dim. She knew who he was, everyone did. He was Jang Hyunseung, the sixth friend of the group of the most popular boys in school, not just their grade.

 

“O-Oppa!” The girls jumped away.

 

“We’re the same grade level. Why are you calling me Oppa?” He asked. “Answer the question. Were you bullying this girl?”

 

“N-No…”

 

“Oh? Then why were you pushing her? Is this a new game? Teach it to me.” He smiled.

 

Jinhee ignored what was happening and began to recollect her things that were thrown all over the room.

 

“Hey, why is your stuff everywhere?” He asked her.

 

“It’s part of the game the girls were playing.” Jinhee smiled wryly. “You should play it with them.” She nodded to the group of girls who were trying desperately to get away.

 

“Jinhee Unni!” A girl, not quite as dirty as Jinhee was but still a bit grubby, entered the room and showed her a spider she caught in the club’s custom made bug jars. “What kind is this one?” The other girls started freaking out as Jinhee smiled and accepted the jar to inspect the spider.

 

“You’re Ahn Jinhee right? You’re the president of the Small Critters Club right?” Hyunseung pointed at her excitedly.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Awesome! I want to join your club.”

 

“You have an interest in small critters?” Jinhee was skeptical, but was open to the idea.

 

“Kind of?”

 

Jinhee cocked an eyebrow at that.

 

Jinhee’s hoobae, Jiwon, in the club giggled, “He met Haneul this morning on the Cocoon hunt.”

 

Jinhee instantly understood. Haneul was very pretty and popular with the boys in school. “How does Haneul feel about this?”

 

“She’s not a fan of it.”

 

“So can I join?” He asked eagerly.

 

“Promise to do your best keeping any of your fan girls out of the club and club activities? And to participate? We do lots of bug hunts where we have to crawl around or get dirty, so I don’t mind if you don’t want to do those, but there are other things, cleaner things to do that some club members do instead.”

 

“I promise!”

 

“Okay. I’m headed to the club now. I’ll introduce you to the club members.”

 

“Yah! What are you doing?” One of the girls pushing Jinhee around earlier whispered angrily to her. “We just told you to stay away from them. Do we need to teach you a lesson?”

 

“If this is a problem for you that he wants to join a club for a girl, not me might I add, then you take it up with him. I’m late for club activities, and I’m the president so that’s not good.” She smiled and used the jar containing the spider to get them to back off.

 

“Were they bothering you?” Jiwon asked as the three students set off to the club room.

 

“I guess.” She shrugged carelessly.

 

“I heard that you helped my friends get out of school.” Hyunseung smiled. “I had to confirm that the Jinhee that took care of the teacher was the same Ahn Jinhee that was the president of the critters club though.”

 

“I heard you bribed the teacher. It’s going around school that you own the school or something.”

 

“Do you?” Hyunseung gaped at the girl.

 

“My mom just donated a crazy amount of money to the school. Some new computer lab and a better club room for me are in the works.” He looked at her, surprised.

 

“I thought she wanted you to stop playing with bugs though.”

 

“She does. But we came to an agreement. I’ll stop actively playing with the critters and getting all dirty after high school. Until then, she supports it even if she hates it. And any bug that escapes my room and is found by anyone but me gets exterminated on site.” Jinhee sighed.

 

“That’s harsh.” Hyunseung said empathically. “Why would she want you to stop playing with bugs? They’re interesting.”

 

“Yeah. Could you stop using formal speech? We’re the same age.” Jinhee frowned up at him.

 

“Okay prez.” He grinned.

 

“That’s better.” Jinhee smiled. “So you like Haneul? That’s going to be a tough road. The main reason she joined the club was to avoid boys in her free time.”

 

“That’s what makes her interesting. Plus she’s kinda mean to me. I like that.”

 

The two girls stopped to look at him funny.

 

“Well most girls are nice to me, but she’s mean. It was interesting.”

 

“I guess I can understand.” Jinhee shrugged and continued walking while further analyzing the spider. “Where did you find this?”

 

“Girl’s bathroom.”

 

“Nice.” Jinhee chuckled. “This looks to be a male, about 6 months old, common grass spider. Shall we name him Billy?”

 

“Why Billy?”

 

“Dunno. Just felt like he looked like a Billy.” Jinhee chuckled, turning the jar over, watching the spider crawl around.

 

“Can I hold Billy?” Hyunseung asked.

 

“Sure.” The girls nodded and let him hold it. He was fascinated by the small creature and almost hit an opened door staring at it.

 

“How can you tell the age and gender?”

 

“Because Jinhee is amazing at these things. She’s like a teacher. She just knows this stuff by heart now.” Jiwon smiled proudly at the older girl.

 

“Wah! That’s so cool!” Hyunseung stared at her in awe.

 

“Thank you. I’ve been learning about bugs since I was really young. But I had to be careful then. My best friend at the time was terrified of bugs.”

 

“Haha! My friend Dongwoon – he’s in your class -- is terrified of bugs! He literally freaks out like a baby.”

 

“Is that so?” Jinhee smiled awkwardly. “Here we are. The after school club room for the Small Critters Club.” She opened the door to greet the four other members.

 

“Oh no. This cannot be happening.” Haneul slumped in the back.

 

“Yes Haneul. This is happening.” Jinhee grinned. “You were thirty minutes late this morning, though you were in charge of the flashlights, something that was very important to the activity. I told you I would find a punishment for you.”

 

“You’re evil in the strangest ways.” Jiwon chuckled.

 

“Relax. He’s actually pretty nice and at least somewhat interested in these things.” Jinhee chuckled, “Everyone, this is our new club member starting today. Introduce yourself if you could please.”

 

“Hello! My name is Jang Hyunseung. I’ll do my best! Please take care of me!” He bowed to everyone respectfully, beaming. “This is Billy!” He introduced the spider in the jar. “Billy was found by Jiwon in the girls’ bathroom. He says hi too!”

 

“Hello Hyunseung. Hello Billy.” The four members humored the strange beautiful male.

 

“What are you guys going to do today?”

 

“Well, we were just going to watch a documentary on the metamorphosis process for butterflies, but I think today we’re going to see how much you know about bugs, and try to increase your knowledge and give you some fun stuff to read up on and know for our next meeting. Don’t worry, it’s only easy stuff, and we only meet on Mondays and Wednesdays and occasionally other special times when there’s a bug hunt like this morning.”

 

“It’s a pretty easy going club. But Jinhee does expect the members to have at least a basic knowledge of the common critters.” Jiwon explained. “After that, we usually just watch movies, and sometimes when it’s necessary, Jinhee tutors us in normal classwork. She’s really helpful. Better than any hagwon I’ve ever been to. I even quit my hagwon and just go to Jinhee now.”

 

“Serious? Can you help me with my math homework then?”

 

“Sure. Tomorrow.” Jinhee nodded. “Today, we do bugs.” She gestured to their collection of bugs and the specific homes they created for them.

 

 

 

 


 

Author's Note

 

I know the spacing between paragraphs are massive, but it's habit for me to double enter, and this one has this much space after entering and I don't feel like changing it.

 

I also switch back and forth with spacing between names like Jin Hee and Jinhee, Dong Woon and Dongwoon etc. Relax, it's the same people, just spaced a bit differently. It depends on how I'm feeling.

 

this is also going to be the first time in a long time I will post a story as I write it, so the tone may change with my attitude for the day. I have ADD so it's hard for me to remain stable. I do try to be error free, but if I do make an error, please tell me.

 

Now just for fun; Random question of the day:

 

Who is your favorite Beast/B2ST member?

 

Random question of the day is something I like to do to encourage silent readers to comment, even if it's just a simple answer. Plus, as the story goes on, my questions get a little weirder the more I get to know the readers.

 

You'll learn very quickly I'm very strange, and kind of brutally honest. I'm sorry if ever I offend you, I never intend to, though sometimes it just happens. I usually attract readers like me, or readers who end up being like me. Though, unlike my previous work, sarcasm won't be AS prevalent in this story, though it will still clearly be there. Let it be noted this is a RomComDramaFic. There's romance, comedy, drama, and completely fictional. It'll have lots of ups and downs as the story goes, like life.

 

Thank you for reading! Please comment to tell me if I'm doing well, or totally missing the mark!