On the rocks.

When It Was Me (A Kimerald Story)

It was a hot Tuesday evening, Kim was lying on a plush couch Gerald got her as a gift on one of their monthsaries. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes. When she opened her eyes, they landed on a picture of her and Gerald on a vacation in General Santos. She was wearing a white shirt and he was wearing a red Abercrombie & Fitch shirt she always loved on him. Kim smiled. "How can I have been so lucky to bag a guy like him, he's proper lush", she thought to herself.

Then she realized that it has been far too long since she and Gerald have actually hung out just the two of them. She's just been to busy with work, and when he comes to see her on set, she's far too tired to have petty small talk so she just ends up ignoring him for the lot of it. But of course, being the love bug she is, she just ends up calling him right after to apologize, an apology he always so gladly accepts. He's always been so kind to her, and she couldn't have asked for anything more.

Earlier this evening, she was told that she's free all day tomorrow. She finally had an opportunity to try and hang out with her boyfriend she hadn't seen in a week. She grabbed her phone and hit Gerald up on speed dial.

"Hey, boyfriend." Yes, as cheesy as it may sound, she does call him 'boyfriend'. He asked her to call him that on their second monthsary when they were debating what they would call each other. She suggested 'asawa', he said he doesn't like it. She suggested 'hubby' and 'wife', he still didn't like it. He suggested 'Babe' or 'Hun', she felt it was too cheesy. So they ended up calling each other exactly what they are. 'Boyfriend' and 'Girlfriend', and he would sometimes refer to her as his 'Kismet'. This has been something they got used to for the past 3 years they've been together; but lately, he's been calling her 'Kim'. Just 'Kim' even when they're alone. But Kim didn't mind. "They're just petty nicknames, anyway", she thought.

"Hi..." He said weakly.

"Are you tired? Did I wake you--" Kim said quickly.

"No, no. I--", he breathed in.  "No, you didn't."

"Oh, good. Uh, Ge... I was told I'm free all day tomorrow. I haven't made plans yet, maybe you can come over to my house and we can hang out?" She said with a smile, she missed him so bad.

There was a momentary pause, if Kim would have counted the seconds, it would have been three. Which is awfully long if it was to answer your girlfriend's invite to come see her.

"Uh... Yeah." He said weakly. "I mean, sure. I think uh- I think we... we should see each other." He said in between stutters.

"Okay, come over here whenever you want. Di na lang ako lalabas ng bahay, okay? Just text me when you're in the subdivision na." She said satisfied with whatever they will be doing tomorrow.

"Okay... See you tomorrow." His voice cracking a bit.

"Okay..." She smiled. "Ge, I love you."

"Love you too." And then he hung up.

 

It was one of the weirdest phone conversations they've had since they got together, but if she remembers correctly, they've been having plenty of these weird conversations lately. She took a bath and went to bed early, she missed him so much; and she was going to see him the next day. She was so excited; if only she knew what was coming her way.