memoir of a dancer

Memoir of a Dancer

 


>>>

the memoirs of a dancer
 

The renowned young dancer stood alone facing the mirrors in this sanctuary, designed specifically for him, by him. The strong beats from the speakers resonated through the place, leaving no space for eerie silence to trespass. All lights were , illuminating this sanctuary and leaving not a speck of darkness to be seen.

He eyed the dozens of magazines strewn carelessly on the couch, each with his face printed on the cover. Recognised for being the youngest, and arguably most handsome, dancer of his time, he was on par with idols. It had been two years since he had starred in the ‘greatest dance production of the era’ and rose to fame overnight as an amazingly versatile and capable dancer. Casting calls from many top entertainment companies had since become a daily norm.

A sigh of content leaves his lips as the feeling of pride had yet to fade.

Everything he had ever dreamed of having, he had.

Everything he had dreamed of doing, he did.

Everything he had dreamed of being, he was.

Kim Jongin’s sole motivation had been his passion for dance; anything and anyone else was considered an obstacle to overcome.  And yet, at that very moment, all Jongin wishes for was to go back. A bitter smirk graced his lips at the irony.

His gaze drifted to the single photo frame on the latest sound system. His impassive expression softens, and with sad eyes he gazes at the old photo longingly. Genuine bright smiles were plastered on the two boys’ faces as they leaned comfortably on each other, holding the ‘thumbs up’ gesture. He realizes that his boyish grin captured in the photo was rare for the man reflected in the mirrors in the present time.

 Jongin remembered the day the photo was taken as if it had only been a day, not a year. He recalls their first encounter vividly, and all the times leading up to ‘Kai, the mysterious dance prodigy’.

So with closed eyes, he reminisces, like every other day.

 

The year was 1999. A sleek black car pulled up in front of the most prestigious arts academy and a stern woman and her child stepped out. She walks in immediately, with no intention of admiring the grand exterior, and her son scurries in behind her. He waits as his mother enrolls for him.Jongin recognized his name on their lips as they talked and tilted his head curiously at their unclear murmurs. Pursing his lips in distaste at their attempts to leave him in the dark, he wanders off. Jongin stops when he notices a flurry of feet movement from one classroom and peers in to watch. He gasps in awe at the rapid movements of the burly tap dancers and an overwhelming feeling of desire to join them immediately rushes through him. He hurries back to the main office before his mother could notice his absence and waits excitedly to be taken into that dance room.

And so, Jongin's face was a mix of disappointment and shock when he stood before a ballet class.

A small boy, about his age, ran over and sat beside him. Jongin looked up in confusion. Why did this boy choose to sit beside him?

But looked at him nonetheless, wondering what he wanted to say.

“Are you happy?” The boy asked bluntly. Jongin could only stare at the boy, stunned by the question, but more by his inability to answer. The boy stared right back with wide doe eyes, repeating the question and waiting patiently for an answer.

“I think so,” Jongin finally stammers. The boy continues to stare blatantly, while Jongin shifts uncomfortably under his gaze.

“My name is Do Kyungsoo. Let’s be friends.”

***

“I’m going to call you Kai. It’s easier,” Kyungsoo  exclaims one day,”you can call me D.O.”

Jongin takes a moment to process this and stares at him curiously at the sudden change. “Our stagenames,” Kyungsoo shrugs nonchalantly. Kai smiles at him and D.O returns it a second later, signifying the unspoken approval.

***

“I know you want to tap.” D.O states matter-of-factly. Jongin shakes his head fiercely as a weak gesture of denial but D.O hadn’t believed him for a second. He pulls out a penny and stares at him.

“Heads -,” he shows him the head, “means you do it.”

--------

Kai gingerly places his fingertips on the vibrating speakers and closed his eyes to remember the beats. He lifted his foot and tapped once to it. Then twice. Then thrice. Soon he became more bold in his steps, even allowing himself a freestyle session. A bubble of euphoric laughter escapes his lips as he fully immerses himself into the world of tap he had wished for since three years ago. Finally, he was free from the confinement of ballet. The adrenaline was refreshing, and then and there, he decided to strive to become the best tap dancer in history.

Kai pauses mid-tap and amazement as disbelief floods through him. He looks up slowly to see D.O smiling proudly at him. “You did it,” he mouthed, applauding.

***

New text from manager!

 

Tap rehearsal at 2 - SM centre, Cheongju.

I expect perfection, Kai.

 

A small smile graced Kai’s lips as he turned to leave for the said schedule. Placing his cold hands into his jumper pockets, he came in contact with the penny.

Thank you, Kyungsoo.

 


____________________________________________________________________
 

author's note » WELL. this was REALLY rushed...and extremely short TT.TT and I know it wasn't a legit memoir but.... i mentally altered my storyline as i wrote but i loved the title too much to change it..orz
and tbh, i cut out a large section of this because i didn't have time to make it flow properly.. :/
hope it was still okay ^^