Chapter 4

Love's Business

 

"Ohmygodwhatthehellisthat." Kibum horrifiedly points a manicured finger at the Maina bird situated at the corner of Minho's office.

 

"It's a bird, hyung. Relax."

 

"It's ugly. Get it out of here."

 

"Actually, I've grown to be quite attached to it, so no can do. I'm thinking about naming him Key."

 

Kibum flips him off as Jonghyun tries to calm him down and leads him to Minho's expensive couch. Kibum immediately softens due to Jonhyun's hushed whisper: "It's okay yeobo. Minho's just being the that he usually is." They both sit back on the couch, cuddling in the process.

 

"Please hyungs, not in the office." Kibum rolls his eyes at Minho but does as they are requested, settling on merely holding Jonghyun's hand instead.

 

"So you're probably wondering why we're here."

 

It is Minho's turn to roll his eyes when he hears Kibum's sentence and mumbles, "Believe me hyung, You come by so often that I'm even more surprised whenever you're not here."

 

The blonde decides to ignore his dongsaeng's sarcastic remark and continues, "Jinki told us there's a new one." The smug look on Kibum's face irritates Minho, so he decides to beat around the bush.

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"Oh cut the crap," Kibum feels Jonghyun's hand lightly squeezing his, and he tones it down he bit, "You know what I'm talking about. Your new assistant. What's her name?"

 

Minho groans in frustration, running his hand through his hair out of sheer habit, "Why are you always so interested in my assistants, huh?"

 

"I'm not interested in them. I'm interested in what stupid thing you're going to do to chase them away. I bet with Jjong here that this'll be another case of the we-already-had--and-I-don't-want-to-complicate-things-so-you're-fired scenario." Minho glares at Jonghyun for being involved in a bet as insulting as that, and the man only raises his free hand in defense. Minho sighs, because he understands where Jonghyun is coming from. Nobody can ever really go against Kibum when he is making ploys such as this. Kibum only continues, "So, where is she and what's her name?"

 

"It's not a she and his name is Taemin." He lazily points the figure scrambling around in the glass room across from his and Jonghyun's and Kibum's eyes follow the finger's direction.

 

The "MWOH?" that escapes Kibum's lips is simultaneous with Jonghyun's, "That's a man?"

 

Despite still being annoyed at the fact that he is forced to have Taemin as an assitant, he laughs at his friends' shocked faces. He wonders if it is really that bizarre that he has a man for an assistant. He decides to mess around with his hyungs a little bit and presses a button on the installed intercom on his desk.

 

"Assistant," Jonghyun and Kibum watch Minho who is looking towards the room right across from them. They see a long-haired brunette looking back at Minho, as if hearing his voice through the glass walls. They quickly realize that there are installed intercoms inside the two offices, and they listen to Minho speak into the machine, "bring us three cups of coffee." The brunette nods his head in affirmation and heads out of his office to do as he is told.

 

Jonghyun is first to speak, "Well he looks... interesting."

 

Then Kibum snarkily follows with a sudden, "I thought you couldn't tolerate homouals, froggy? Aside from me and Jjong, anyway." Now, Minho is genuinely confused as to what his blonde friend is pertaining to.

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

Kibum throws his hands in the air, letting go of Jonghyun's hand and sarcastically remarks, "There he goes with the cluelessness again." Minho's his head, the questioning expression still not leaving his face and Kibum draws out a long sigh, "You honestly don't know?"

 

Minho nods his head. Jonghyun only chuckles, slinging his arm around Kibum's shoulder and does the talking for him, "He's gay, Minho."

 

Moments of deafening silence pass, and the tall man almost falls off of his chair. Just at that moment, Taemin comes in with the coffee, quietly placing down the cups on the coffee table and scurrying away. Minho was staring at him with wide eyes and a gaping mouth for the whole time.

 

 

After recovering from the initial shock, Minho is finally able to string sentences together.

 

 

"Great. Now I'm stuck with not only a bratty kid, but a gay bratty kid?" Kibum and Jonghyun do not feel insulted by this statement because they know that even though Minho hates the homoual community with a passion, the boy still treats the two of them with the same respect he gives to Jinki, so they let him continue with his rant. Minho is now pacing around in front of them, hysterically gesturing to the boy currently talking to one of the employees in the cubicles outside as he bellows out, "HE SAW ME SHIRTLESS. HE WAS IN MY ROOM, AND HE SAW ME SHIRTLESS. WHAT THE ACTUAL FU--"

 

Taemin observes his boss who looks as if he is yelling at the two people on the couch. The two men only nod at Minho as his hands wave around hysterically, and Taemin just shrugs it off as another one of his boss's temper tantrums. He bids Amber a 'See you later,' and he goes back inside his office. He pushes open the glass door and is startled as he hears a loud voice from the intercom on his desk.

 

"I ALREADY HATED HIM ENOUGH FOR BEING A MALE ASSISTANT, AND NOW HE'S GAY TOO? WHAT IF THE STARTS HARRASSING ME? OH GOD, IT'S DISGUSTING JUST THINKING ABOUT IT. HE'S A ING BRAT WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHERE HIS PLACE IS IN THIS INDUSTRY. AND WHO DOES HE THINKS HE IS, ADDRESSING JINKI-HYUNG SO CASUALLY? HE'S JUST ANOTHER KID WHO HAS EVERYTHING HANDED TO HIM BY HIS FREAKING PARENTS. THE BRAT PROBABLY DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING HERE. HE PROBABLY JUST UP TO MY DAD TO KEEP HIM FROM TAKING HIS JOB AWAY, THE SNEAKY BASTARD--"

 

"EXCUSE ME, SIR."

 

All three heads turn to the brunette standing at the doorway. Taemin is leaning on the frame with his arms crossed against his chest. The three men do not say anything. Kibum gulps as he follows Taemin's eyes. The brunette is looking at the intercom on Minho's desk which was still flashing a bright, red blinking light. The blonde musters up the courage to speak even amidst the heavy tension in the room, "Minho... You forgot to turn it off..."

 

 

Minho hears Kibum, but he does not look at him because he is too busy looking at Taemin who is slowly walking right up to him. The short brunette's jaw is set and his eyes are staring right into Minho's.

 

"Sir," he tersely starts off, "I can forgive your homophobic for calling me a . I'm used to it. I've been called worse. You don't have to worry about me harassing you or anything because you may very well be the last man in the entire ing universe and I would rather choose to be in the company of a retarded baboon time and time again. That is a million times more preferable than being in the same room and breathing the same air as the likes of someone like you. But,"

 

Kibum, Jonghyun and Minho gape at Taemin as he continues,

 

"Don't you dare say that the things I want are just handed to me like I'm some spoiled brat. I can let the whole '' thing slide because I can admit that I am gay, and I just didn't deem it important to tell you something as personal as my uality. But to bunch me up with the brats and douche bags you hang out with," Taemin balls his hands into tight, shivering fists and Minho is surprised to see that his eyes are glazed over with tears threatening to spill. "That is both insulting to me, and hypocritical of you."

 

"Stop assuming that you know me when you obviously don't. I didn't know of this whole boss-assistant arrangement just as much as you did. I didn't urge your father into doing anything for me, and I absolutely have no plans to. Your father is a great man, and it is sad that the apple falls so disappointingly far from the tree. You are a self-centered, rude, selfish, reckless, intolerant and I know that you do not deserve any of the things you have now. I would have already quit the minute I walked into this building, but I have my reasons for staying. And of course, you wouldn't know. Because, Choi Minho, you. Don't. Know. ." He punctuates the last four words with a harsh poke of his finger into Minho's tense chest. For the whole time that he was speaking, Taemin did not raise his voice -- not even once. His voice was cold, low, and quiet during his whole speech, and that scared Minho way more than he would like to admit. Taemin stares at Minho for a few more moments with angry, tear-filled eyes before lowering his head and excusing himself as he walks to the door. He grabs the handle, but just before he opens the door, he looks over his shoulder and grunts out,

 

"Oh yeah. You have a meeting with Ms. Krystal Jung in thirty minutes." before slamming the door, hard.

 

The taller male is speechless, just like the two men sitting on the couch who, to his embarrassment, had witnessed everything. Minho stares after Taemin who was stomping his way to the elevator, most likely to get some fresh air. He decides that he needs to cool off as well and walks out the door to go to the bathroom without so much as a glance back to his friends.

 

Once again, Kibum is the first to break the silence as he amusedly chuckles in his boyfriend's ear, "I like him."

 

The older man snickers with him, "Don't let Minho hear you say that."

 


 

Here's another chapter! I was really looking forward to writing Taemin's speech, but I'm kind of disappointed that it didn't go as well as I hoped it would be. (I like feisty Taemin, haha) Anyway, leave a comment and tell me what you think! :)