Chapter 19

Love's Business

 

Taemin shifts restlessly in his seat beside Minho, feeling more and more self-conscious under Kim Kibum's analyzing gaze.

 

"So, who tops and who bottoms?"

 

"W-What?!" Taemin surprises even himself when he hears how high-pitched his voice sounded as he horrifiedly meets feline-like eyes. He begings to wonder why he and Minho had even thought that telling Minho's best friends about their relationship would be a good idea.

 

Saving his boyfriend from the uncomfortable topic that his bestfriends are putting him under, Minho goes in to defend Taemin and his new sense of chivalry and romance. "We haven't even done it yet!"

 

"Yet?" The smug air that Kibum exudes makes both parties of the couple blush wildly as they try to sneak glances at each other, trying to work out the implications of the word 'yet'. 

 

Alright, Minho walked right into that one.

 

All of a sudden, Jonghyun joins in on the conversation as he pops a strip of chicken into his mouth,"I think Taemin would be the topper in the bedroom."

 

As awkward as the topic is for Taemin, he feels his ego inflating just a tad bit at Jonghyun's hypothesis.

 

"What the hell?!" And as awkward as it is to talk about, Minho risks lengthening the weird discussion as he demands for an explanation, not standing to be called a bottom. His man pride will never allow it. "What makes you say that?!"

 

"I don't know," Jonghyun shrugs, his plate of chicken parmesan getting thieved by Jinki's sneaky hands as the elder snickers quietly at his answer, "It just felt like the right thing to say."

 

Lost in thought for a few moments, Kibum eventually nods his head in absolute agreement,"You're right, Jjong. Minho does look like a sub when he's with Taemin."

 

The brunette only watches on in silent horror as the three men continue arguing over which one of the couple gets which position in the bedroom, with Minho incessantly insisting that he is a  more appropriate dom in the relationship as if his boyfriend isn't just sitting right beside him.

 

A comforting pat on his shoulder brings Taemin to look at the other man beside him. Jinki empathically tells him that his friends are always like that and that it'll take a while before they decide a winner for with their debate so he should probably make himself comfortable.

 

Sighing deeply, the brunette jokingly thanks the chinky eyed man for the tip and lazily takes a drink from his and Minho's tea.

 

"You should try this," Jinki holds out an enticing piece of what could only look like something sweet, so as he always does when offered a sugary delicacy, Taemin swoops in and takes the elder's spoon in his mouth.

 

Jinki laughs at the almost magnetic pull that sugar has on Taemin as the brunette lets a small moan escape from his lips from the sheer pleasure the dessert is providing for his taste buds.

 

But the moan may have been a bad idea, because although it is entirely innocent and not at all ual, Minho's attention is immediately caught and now he is glaring at the brunette, suspicious as to why the hell Taemin is when he hasn't been doing anything to induce such sounds from the younger. Only he is allowed to make Taemin moan, whatever the reason may be.

 

He sees his boyfriend being spoon fed by one of his hyungs, the ice cream and cookie concoction drifting from the plate to Taemin's mouth in small, dainty portions. Kibum and Jonghyun are still trying to argue with him, but Minho raises a hand to them and off-handedly admits that he is the sub in the relationship just to make his hyungs shut up. He is not so successful though, because the two end up making even more noise as they celebrate their victory; but at least they stopped trying to get Minho's attention and now the man can now fully attend to the more important matter at hand, which is to stop the promiscuous interactions between his boyfriend and his eldest hyung.

 

"Taemin," he growls, and he takes a secret delight when he feels the brunette shudder under his arm, "Do you want me to get you your own order of that stuff?"

 

"It's fine," Taemin is oblivious to the menacing emotion behind Minho's offer as he continues, "me and hyung are sharing--"

 

"Do you?" He insists as he pulls Taemin closer to him, away from the predator that is Jinki.

 

The sharp tug Minho gave him is enough to tell Taemin that yes, he should want his own order, and no, he should not at all want to share with Jinki, so he answers, "O-okay, yes."

 

Minho gives a satisfied smile as he calls up a waiter.

 

Their brunch goes on without any more nonsensical debates and envy-inciting interactions and before the five men know it, it is time for them to go back to their own individual workplaces. Jonghyun wipes his mouth with a napkin before standing up to pay for their meal.

 

"Hey, are you guys free tomorrow night? My dad's hosting a joint party with Jjong's dad and they told us that it would be nice if we invited you guys."

 

Jinki appears to be thoughtful, and then he asks Kibum, "Will Luna be there?"

 

The blonde quirks a brow, sensing the elder's playboy alter ego and the man's blatant motive for going to the party, "I think her dad is invited, so she'll probably be there too." Upon hearing this, Jinki smiles and nods his head, slyly accepting the invitation.

 

Kibum only rolls his eyes, already getting used to the elder's bizarre double personality. Then he turns to the couple sitting beside Jinki. "What about you two?"

 

Minho would be glad to attend the event, seeing as there would be many big names in the business circle, what with it being Mr. Kim's party and all. But he doesn't answer just yet, asking for Taemin's say about the invitation, not wanting to offend the brunette by deciding things for the both of them. 

 

I think I'm getting better at this boyfriend thing, he thinks as he proudly congratulates himself.

 

"What do you say?" He asks as he wipes a tiny cookie crumb from the corner of Taemin's lips with his thumb. (It wasn't necessary but he wanted an excuse to come in contact with those enticing lips) "Wanna go to the party?"

 

Though he doesn't want to admit it, he is secretly hoping that Taemin would say yes. By attending this 'business' event, Minho would have an excuse the bring the brunette along, and then they'd have the whole night to spend together without anyone getting suspicious and asking them why they are so keen on staying side by side wherever they go.

 

He is already imagining the secret touches they'd be giving each other under the tables as they eat their dinner, thrilled at the prospect of getting caught and not getting caught at the same time when Taemin whispers something in his ear that makes him feel slightly deflated.

 

"Actually..."

 

The hesitant tone in the brunette's voice is already a give-away that this will be a negative answer. He frowns, waiting for Taemin to continue.

 

"... I was planning on asking you to come over tomorrow night after work."

 

Did he hear right? Taemin was actually planning on inviting him over to (his) apartment? He was going to allow Minho into the secret sanctum that is his home?

 

The deflated feeling in his chest instantly turns into a fluffy feeling of delight and elation.

 

He grins wide at Taemin as he momentarily forgets about Kibum who was waiting for his answer and whispers back to the brunette, "Really?"    

 

"You don't want to?" Taemin furrows his brows and pouts at the elder.

 

"What?" He shakes his head to emphasize, "No! No! I want to! I'm just surprised, that's all. I really, really, want to." His voice is barely a whisper anymore as he practically breathed it against Taemin's ear, and this makes the younger feel pleasantly flustered. They exchange smiles until Minho remembers the blonde sitting across from them.

 

"Sorry, we have something planned." Minho grins at Kibum while Taemin tries not to meet the scary man's eyes.

 

"I noticed." Although Kibum's voice sounds annoyed, the amused, knowing expression is clear on his face.

 

Jonghyun returns from the counter, complaning about how they wouldn't accept his credit card, and that is the signal for all of them to get back to their cars and get back to work.

 

 

Minho steps inside Taemin's large studio apartment, forgetting about all of the stress of today's work as his eyes rake over the place. He breathes in, enjoying the scent of cinnamon and his sweet Taemin all around. Even though it isn't pristinely clean and the counters and tables aren't all that organized, it is still perfect. It is so unlike Minho's own place where everything is too organized and too empty, furnished with luxury items with no one to share them with. He prefers Taemin's place over his, because it feels homey and comfortable; but maybe that's just because Taemin  is here.

 

"Couch is over there," Taemin takes off his and Minho's coat, hanging them on the door racks. He then pecks him on the cheek before walking off to some unknown direction.

 

Despite the aching in his feet and the desire to just rhwo himself on the soft furniture, he trails after Taemin, "Where are you going?"

 

"Kitchen. I'm cooking us dinner." When he does reach the kitchen, he opens one of the counters and stands on his tip toes to get one of the pans inside. His fingers would brush against the cold steel of the item, but he would never get a good grasp on it. He feels a hard body against his back, and then he sees a hand reaching into the counter and clutching the pan's handle with no problem at all. Minho hands him the skillet, with a smug, "Here."

 

Taemin rolls his eyes and pushes Minho away with his because really, where does this man's arrogance end? He sarcastically says his thanks and starts washing the pan, humming another one of Shindong's tunes. His humming comes to a stop though, when arms wrap around his waist from behind, and Taemin doesn't have to turn around to know that the man behind him isn't an intruding murderer but is in fact his possessive, hormone-driven boss.  

 

"What's the occassion?"

 

 

Minho's chin is propped on his shoulder and the man's breath is hitting his neck and it would have made him shudder with delight if it weren't for the infuriating question. But he already figured that Minho would ask that, anyway, "You don't remember, do you?"

 

"Uh..."

 

"It's our 8th anniversary, pabo."

 

Minho is again pushed away by a push of Taemin's , and he feels guilty for forgetting another one of their anniversaries. He had never been in a relationship lasting for more than three months that he had never gotten used to remembering important dates and anniversaries. He scratches his head guiltily, messing up his hair, " Minnie, I'm sorry. I'm just not used to--"

 

He is shut up once again by Taemin's lips. Taemin shutting him up with a kiss has been happening way too often these days, but Minho likes it too much to complain. "It's fine," The smaller boy says as he pulls away and plops down from his tip toes, "Just go rest on the couch and let me cook for you."

 

Minho is still frowning, but he agrees anyway. He pecks the brunette on the lips,  "Fine. But call me if you need help with anything."

 

"Ever the doting boyfriend." Taemin smiles lovingly at him and goes to start cooking dinner.

 

 

"-hooooooooooo! Minhoooo! " Taemin's voice is muffled as it drifts into Minho's ears. The man on the couch slowly opens his eyes, trying to bid away the sleep that had overwhelmed himthe moment he dropped on the soft furniture.

 

He sits up on the couch and rubs the sleep from his as he lets out a sleepy, "Hmm?"

 

"Someone's at the door. Can you answer it for me?" The brunette's voice is distant, loud over the sound of something frying in a pan.

 

Figuring that it is the least he can do to help Taemin, he stretches in his seat before standing up and walking to the door. He fixes up his loosened tie and uses his hand as a comb in an effort to make himself more presentable.

 

"Good evening," An elderly, thin man with a dazzling grin greets, "Is Lee Taemin home?"Minho looks the man up and down and asks, "May I ask why you're looking for him?"

 

The stranger's grin stays on his face as he flatly replies, "I don't believe that is any of your business, boy."

 

The subtle, rude retort makes Minho's eyebrow arch. He crosses his arms and leans on the door frame, "Then how do you know him?"

 

"I guess you could say that I am an acquaintance of his." The man clasps his hands at his back and continues beaming at Minho.

 

"Wait right here."

 

Minho walks into the kitchen, smiling at the sight of his boyfriend with his hair messily tied up and an apron wrapped loosely around his torso. The smells of spices and fried pork linger in the air as Minho stands behind the brunette to embrace him.

 

"Taemin~ A rude old man is looking for you."

 

Taemin turns his head to look at the taller man and asks, "Eh? Who is it?" Minho shrugs and frees him from his clutch to let the boy wipe his hands on a washtowel. He takes off his apron, making himself look presentable as the elder continues, "I didn't want to ask. He just said he was your acquaintance or something."

 

"Wonder who it is," Taemin absently wonders. He eyes the stove and the frying food, "Can you watch the stove for me? Wouldn't want our dinner to get burnt."

 

As Taemin is walking away, Minho replies, "Hey, if dinner gets screwed up, we can always get some dessert." His suggestive tone only makes the brunette laugh.

 

 

Minutes into his intent frying, Minho hears a loud shout from faraway, "GET THE AWAY FROM ME!"

 

"Taemin-ah, just listen for a moment--"

 

"NO, I WILL NOT LISTEN." Minho immediately turns off the stove and runs to the entrance of the apartment, hearing the voice getting louder the nearer he gets there, "GO AWAY BEFORE I CALL THE POLICE."

 

"Park Taemin--"

 

"STOP SAYING THAT." Taemin is practically hysterical at this point, and when the younger raises his arms to push away the unnamed visitor, Minho grabs him and pulls him back, his ears stinging from Taemin's screams, "THAT IS NOT MY NAME, AND YOU SURE AS HELL ARE NOT MY FATHER!"

 


 

 

I'm sorry for not being able to update the past days. :( Accidentally deleted the chapter I was working on the day before so I had to write it all over again. T_T