I want to be needed

A Musical Romance

It had been two weeks since Jongsuk had been admitted to the hospital. At the moment I am walking silently behind Yoojung and Jongsuk. It really surprises me how well they get along. Once we get home, Jongsuk would be paying more attention to me. Not that I’m a kid or anything. I just really enjoy the time we can spend together. Since his asthma attack that day, he has been spending more time listening to me talk about soccer while drinking banana milk.

‘AHHHHH!’ Yoojung screamed as she fell to the ground, clutching her ankle.

Immediately Jongsuk dropped to his knees, attempting to calm her down. Her knight looked concerned and tried to help her get up. I bent down and pulled her up on my back. The rest of the way home, I carried the sniffling little girl while Jongsuk rubbed her back. When we got home we placed her on the bed. I placed an icepack on her ankle and afterwards bandaged it up. It didn’t take long for her to fall off to sleep.

‘I hope she’ll be alright.’

‘She has always been strong. There is no need to worry.’ She’s a tough warrior despite her size.

I brought the table to the middle of the room and began to unpack my bag. As I did so I noticed that Jongsuk was still looking at her bedroom door. It kind of annoyed me that he was still paying attention to her. What was she to him? As her older brother I needed to know! Why else would I feel so … AISH~

‘Yah, why are you so concerned?’ I stared at him trying to get our eyes to meet.

‘I can’t help it. It’s because it is Yoojung I guess.’ WHAT?!?! I think something is wrong with my ears!

‘I guess I can’t help but want to be there for her. Ever since she came to the singing group classes, I felt the need to protect her.’ Jongsuk looked rather gentle. However, he looked this way while talking about my younger sister! I grabbed him by the shoulders and made him face me.

‘Wei? Why should you feel the need to protect her? She has me, doesn’t she?’ God damn it! She is only a kid!

‘I understand that she does have you, but before that I didn’t know. I guess she just reminded me of when I was younger. She would come to the class alone. While all the parents would watch their kids and cheer them on, Yoojung had no one there. Some of the kids get on well with her but for a very long time she kept to herself. I wanted to make sure that she knew she could rely on someone older than her. That she would have someone cheering her on and making sure that she was taken care of. I guess I was glad to hear that she had you. You are someone who will always be there for her. I know that because you’re a really good brother. She would always tell me stories about you. However, I just got into a habit. I know I’m not her parent, or even a brother. I just wanted to look after someone who needed me.’

He wanted someone to need him. He must be so alone. Before I knew it I had embraced him in a big hug. This sudden movement shocked him and he hesitated before hugging me back. Part of me was also shocked, but the other part felt that this was the right thing to do. I patted his head while muttering, ‘Mianhae’ a few times. How could I have thought of such things when he clearly looked out for my sister the way he did. Even if she seemed strong, I had forgotten that she was still a little girl who barely saw her parents. For me not to notice was embarrassing. I reluctantly pulled away from a rosy cheeked Jongsuk.

‘You seem more like a brother than me. I’m sure your sibling is very lucky to have you.’

‘What do you mean "your sibling"?’ Jongsuk looked alarmed.

‘I just thought that you might have one. Don’t you?’

‘… No. I’m an only child.’ Ummm, really?!?! Then what was with the picture at your house?

‘Oh.’

The atmosphere was becoming a little awkward so I quickly placed my books onto the table and we began our little tutoring session. Jongsuk was really proud of how much I had learned in such a short period of time. I was impressed by how much he knew too. Though he seemed more mature, I was actually older than him. Today he didn’t stay long after the tutoring session but went home. I asked him if he wanted to watch one of my soccer games but he declined. Again. Apparently he was preparing for something really exciting. He said I would find out soon and left without giving out any more information.

***

Monday! I was completely exhausted from training yesterday. I didn’t play very well on Saturday because I kept thinking of a certain someone. He looked like an angel but was probably some wizard who cast a spell on me. I wanted him to be there cheering me on. I didn’t know why, I just wanted him there. Coach got really upset with me and had to pull me aside to give me extra training. On top of that, I have been studying harder than I have ever studied before so that I could impress Jongsuk tonight. I began to listen attentively during maths which was now becoming my favourite subject.

I lay my head down on the table feeling drained. Maybe I could sleep a little during morning assembly. It wasn’t really important was it? I heard the teacher walk in. Everything went quiet. That was unusual.

‘Today we have a new student joining us. Please give an introduction.’

‘Hello. My name is Lee Jongsuk. It’s nice to meet you all.’

I sat straight up and looked directly into the eyes of that beautiful boy. He was the same Jongsuk that I knew. Why was he here? Oh, that’s right he’s a new student. Still! The teacher pointed towards the seat next to me and told him to sit there.

‘Kim Woobin! Make sure you look after him well.’ The teacher stood there with a threatening look.

As Jongsuk sat down next to me he winked. Suddenly his face went serious and whispered, ‘So you sleep during class. You have some nerve to sleep in front of me.’ He turned back to the front, holding back a smile.

‘KIM WOOBIN! Listen to me when I’m talking and would you close your mouth before you choke on a fly. Aish~ you kids are really too much.’ He threw a blackboard duster at me head. Unfortunately for me he was a good aimer.

I quickly turned back to my book. So this was the surprise!

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone!

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I guess I can't help but put them in this familiar situation once again. Haha, mianhae! I do plan to write alot more exciting and new chapters which will hopefully be very entertaining. Please let me know what you think, as I only write fanfic to share the love. I believe this is my first major OTP that I'm shipping.

Also I'm sorry that it took a while to post this chapter. I had a big assignment that I had to finish. I'll try to keep you updated. XD

Thank you once again. <3