001

Runaway

 

 

 

Chapter One

Monday; After School

 

 

 

Baekhyun hung his head low as he counted his steps from school to where ever his feet were taking him.

They were moving again.

Just when he started getting comfortable and used to the feeling of speaking English and living in America, Junmyeon told him they were moving back to Korea. After being in America for the last three years he’d lived in almost every state in North America, including Canada for half a year. It was just like Junmyeon to abruptly want to move as soon as Baekhyun started getting familiarized with things around him. But they couldn’t risk getting caught; both of their lives rest on staying under the radar.

Baekhyun looked up when he felt a drop of water on the back of his neck, the sky had darkened rapidly since he left school and he remembered hearing something on the news about a storm. It was just his luck to be wandering around just before a storm. He'd grown used to the California weather and its constant rain fall. But no matter how many times he reminded himself that he wasn't staying, he only wanted to do just that; he wanted to stay. 

He felt something vibrate in his pocket just as the rain started to pour down, most likely it was Junmyeon calling him. When Baekhyun pulled his phone out of his pocket after running under the closest bus stop, he was taken aback by the unknown number. No one besides Junmyeon knew his number, his cousin made sure of that, constantly getting a new phone and number every time they moved.

Gradually he pressed the talk button and lifted the phone to his ear, Baekhyun knew he was violating one of Junmyeon’s utmost strict rules but what else could he do all alone under a bus stop as it stormed. It was silent as neither said a word, minutes passed as Baekhyun sat on the bench waiting for the other individual to say something first. Maybe it was just a prank call? After all, that’s a very popular trend in America at sleepovers, although mostly it's done by girls. But what did Baekhyun know, everything he knew was from reading books and eavesdropping on conversations.

Baekhyun was just about to hang up when he finally heard something, “I-is this Byun Baekhyun?” It was a soft and quiet voice, it quivered as the person took a deep breath, “I’m looking for Byun Baekhyun, is this him?” The girl’s voice was stronger this time but still soft.

He bit his lip, debating on wither to answer or not. Baekhyun already knew he’d be in major trouble whenever Junmyeon found him, so why not take a little risk? “It depends on who this is,” He wanted to pat himself on the back as his voice came out confident unlike his mind that was currently running wild with fear of being caught.

The girl didn’t answer but Baekhyun could still hear her breathing so that at least meant that maybe she was thinking it over, “I’m calling on behalf of Ms. Seonghye,” He froze, staring out into the distances through the curtain of rain that surrounded him, it had been so long since he’s heard that name, a big part of him wasn’t ready to hear it either.

“I’m sorry; you’ve got the wrong number.” Baekhyun said, quickly pulling the phone away from his ear but not before the girl yelled loud enough for him to hear, his insides turned to ice as he processed her words and harshly pressed the end button. Her voice echoing in his head,

Byun Baekhyun, she’s dead.”

 

Chanyeol wrapped his arm around his taller friend’s shoulder, “Want to come and play a game of ball with us?” Kris asked as he smiled over at Chanyeol, holding up the basketball in his hands to emphasize his question. Kris was the captain of the basketball team and Chanyeol’s best friend since they were kids.

He shook his head with his signature smile, “Nah, I’ve got to get home to help my mom.” It was funny how Kris pushed his lips out in a pout, a look that didn’t quite fit with his appearance and reputation. “You look like a fish,” Chanyeol teased before jumping away from Kris when they reached the school gate.

Kris laughed before turning the opposite way, “Whatever, just make sure you don’t cancel on me again, I’m a pretty mean person when people shut me down.” He called over his shoulder with a wave and Chanyeol couldn’t help but shake his head with a laugh as he watched Sehun jump onto Kris’s unguarded back.

School was over and he had to go home to help his mom fix up the little apartment like room above their garage. It was like those rooms where your maid would stay in or whatnot. “In two days someone is going to be staying in there for a little,” His mother had said to him the other night before going to work. She was a nurse on the night shift; it was convenient for the both of them that way.

When his house came into view Chanyeol jogged up to the porch, quickly opening the door and kicking his shoes off somewhere near the shoes rack before running upstairs to his computer. Making sure his mom wasn’t lurking anywhere in or near his room, Chanyeol ‘woke up’ his computer from sleep mode and typed in his password.

Once the computer was fully loaded and running it was three o’clock, and just on time a Skype call popped up on his screen with the picture of another friend. Before it ended Chanyeol clicked the answer button and adjusted his webcam so it was on him.

“Channie!” Luhan shouted with a huge smile as his webcam finally loaded and he could see the other clearly, “I thought you had to help your mom clean out that room thing?”

“Did you bleach your hair?” Chanyeol asked as he realized Luhan’s usually brown hair was now a yellowish blonde, “Oh and yeah I do but she’s out shopping at the moment.” He watched as Luhan nodded his head and his mouth form an ‘O’ shape. “But I don’t know if I’m looking forward to it…”

Luhan’s smile never faltered as he glanced up at his hair, “Oh this? It was a dare from Yixing; I have to keep it this way till we get back from China, which could be from anytime now to maybe a month. Although I’ve already gotten scowled at by my teachers since ‘no hair dye’ is a number one rule. Ohh, why not?”

Chanyeol remembered his mom always saying him and Luhan’s conversations were hard to keep up with, all the questions and jumbled up sentences and even Yixing who was in them most of the time couldn’t understand a word they were talking about after hello. “Wow, it looks nice though. You got into trouble? What did you say to them, seeing as you’re here means you didn’t get into trouble? Oh, and because there is so much stuff and dust up there, no one’s stepped foot in there since…” He trailed off, and was grateful when Luhan nodded, understanding what he meant.

“I told them, technically I didn’t dye my hair, and I bleached it. The principle was mad but nothing in the handbook said I couldn’t bleach my hair so he was forced to let it go. “ It was quiet as a voice yelled up at Luhan, barely heard through the webcam but Chanyeol knew that voice well enough to understand it, “Oops, sorry Chanyeol that’s my dad, got to go. Talk to you later!”

He waved until the call ended and he was left sitting in the desk chair. Luhan and Yixing had gone to China to finish their sophomore year because they were feeling homesick and their parents wanted to see them. Chanyeol didn’t want them to go, but he wasn’t a selfish person, there was no way he could ask them to stay.

“Chanyeol, are you home?” His mother’s voice floated up the stairs through the open door.

With a deep breath he closed his laptop and walked to the door, “Right here mom, I’ll be down in a minute.” And with that said he slid his blazer off so he was only wearing his black short sleeved t-shirt and went downstairs, bracing himself for the pain to come.

 

Hey guys, thanks for subscribing. 
This is like an introduction, or a filler, or whatever you feel like calling it. 
Don't worry, Baekhyun's incident will probably be explaind later in the story. 
I will update every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. But If I'm feeling up to it, I might update more.
Thanks for reading!