Small Spaces - MONDAY

A WEEK SERIES: A Week Into Marriage/ A Week to Marry

GaYoon

By the time we got to Siwon's apartment yesterday it was dark already and we avoided his parent's until today. We are in a elevator going up to the top floor to meet his dad and have lunch with him. His mother and grandpa cancel and said they wanted us to join them for dinner instead. Siwon wasn't too happy about it, he wanted to have lunch with all of them at the same time to avoid spending too much time with them. It wasn't that he dislike them he just thought it would be better for me and our lie.

The ding indicated that we have reach our destination. I let out the breath I've been holding relieve to get out of that small space. Small space scares me. Siwon reach for my hand and I let him;it's comforting. I would like to think that he is holding my hands because he knows and that he is looking out for me but no he doesn't know and this is just a show, we were suppose to portray a happily married couple. Following him through the receptionist and secretary we finally reach the door to his father's office. With one knock Siwon enter without waiting.

"Siwon, Gayoon, you two are back." Mr. Choi stands up from behind his desk and walk over to give us each a hug. "How was the honeymoon? Are my grandchildren being made as we speak?"

I look to Siwon kind of scared. How am I suppose to answer to that?

"Dad!" Siwon shakes his head. "That's what Leetuk is for. He got married first shouldn't he be the one providing you with grandkids first?"

Mr. Choi headlocks Siwon. "You little punk are you telling me you don't want kids?"

Siwon starts choking. "Dad! Stop!"

Mr Choi looks at me. "My new daughter-in-law you will provide me with plenty of grandkids right?"

Kids? Will I be able to have kids? Do I want kids? I shake my head.

Mr. Choi let's go of Siwon and march over to me. I flinch and start walking backwards scared he will put his hands on me. No...I don't like it...I don't like feeling like this, scared and weak.

Siwon steps in front of me. "Dad you're scaring her."

Mr. Choi laughs. "I'm just playing around son. I would never hurt her, she's too pretty." Mr. Choi pushes Siwon away and reach for me pulling me into a bear hug. "I can wait a year or two for grandchildren."

I tense in his arms and hope he lets go of me soon. Siwon must have seen how uncomfortable I look he step up and pulls me away.

"Let's just go to lunch dad."

Siwon

Gayoon look like she was about to have a panic attack when my father hugged her. It must be weird for her to have parents that cared for her. At the wedding her family left without send her off and her mother didn't even shed a tear like my mom was. Gayoon didn't converse with her family either. I feel sorry for her.

"How's business son? Is DongHae doing alright without you?"

"He's managing everything well. It's double the work for him but I'll be going back on Saturday so he will be fine until then."

"I'm proud of your two. You two started with nothing and made something out of yourselves. It's a great accomplishment."

"Thank you dad."

"Do you like your lunch Gayoon? You haven't eaten much."

Gayoon tries to smile and assure she was fine. "It's good. I'm just not that hungry."

"Should we go somewhere else?" My father asks her and she immediately shakes her head no.

"I'm fine father we don't have to go somewhere else."

My dad grins from ear to ear hearing Gayoon call him father. Gayoon looks a little surprise herself for calling my dad father but she quickly hides her surprise look.

----

Mom pulls Gayoon away from me to help her in the kitchen but I know she was pulling Gayoon away to gossip and talk about our mini honeymoon. I walk into my grandfather's room and accompany him in playing angry bird on his ipad. I was just about to explain to grandpa about the blue bird and how it can multiply into three if the screen was tap again when Gayoon poke her head in the door way. She close the door behind her and properly greeted grandpa with a bow before taking a seat next to me.

"Finally I get to see my new granddaughter-in-law. You look just like your mother, so beautiful."

"Thank you."

"When your grandpa and I plan on marrying our children we never even thought about having sons each." Grandpa laughs and Gayoon smiles. "So we decided to let our grandkids marry. Leetuk was originally the one to marry you but the age difference was a little wide and he fell in love with his other half before he ever got to met you. BUT I'm happy you are with Siwon now. He needs a woman in his life. He works too much."

"Working is a the way to survive." I explain for my lack of relationships.

"But some time you need a break too. Money can't buy everything Siwon."

"For the right price it can."

Grandfather shakes his head disagreeing with me. I know in this world there are a few things money can't buy but those things aren't for me.

"Money is a scary thing...people will do anything for it." Gayoon spoke.

Grandpa reaches out for her hand. "It's only scary if you let it be dear."

Gayoon nods.

"When is dinner going to be ready?" I ask rubbing my stomach.

"I was sent here to tell you two that dinner is ready." Gayoon looks at my grandpa and I. "I'm sorry I forgot."

Grandpa pats her hand telling her it's okay and I help him up to go to the dining room. Mom and dad were already seated and waiting for us when we arrive. Grandpa sat in his seat at the end of the table while Gayoon and I sat on one side across from my parents. Dinner wasn't as bad as I thought it would. Gayoon played well acting like the rich, polite and classy girl she should be and my parents loved her. She even surprises me with her acting. Yeah she was the perfect Stephford wife.

Gayoon

"The left cellar has all the good wine. Go and pick one to go along with the fruit and cheese." Grandpa points to the door on the left. "When you are done come back to the house with it. I will head back first with Siwon."

I nod at his instructions and headed towards the left cellar while they left the building. Grandpa insisted we visit here to look at old pictures and things from his days as a young one. I saw pictures of my parents with me as a baby. Turns out Siwon and I had met as babies, how weird.

I reach for the door handle of the cellar and pull it open. The door was heavy and what I thought was an entry to another room was actually and entry to a cooler stuff with bottles of wine. I step in and started to look for a bottle that will go with the snacks we were going to have when the door closes behind me and clicks.

I walk back to the door and try to open it, it was locked.

I immediately bang on the door and open my mouth to talk but nothing came out. I can't seem to talk. I hit the door harder and faster. I need to get out of this place. I start shivering not from the cold but from memories popping back and forth. Unhappy memories I don't like. I bang the door harder feeling the air way in my body closing up on me. I can't breathe.

Siwon

"Ah! I forgot to tell Gayoon the door closes and locks automatically." Grandpa looks at me worried. "We should go back in case she locks herself in there."

"Don't worry grandpa I'll go get her."

I walk grandpa to the living room to wait for us and head back to the cellar building. The building was built a couple feet from the house to store all the wine my family collected and random things my grandpa collected. It was storage for junk more than anything. I open the door to the cellar building and I started hearing banging noises. Gayoon must have locked herself in like my grandpa had said. I smile to myself thinking it was funny and pull the door to the left open for the wine storage room.

As soon as the doors crack open Gayoon pushed it open and ran into my arms shivering and...crying.