Home

Home

 

                I surged forward through the crowd of my adoring fans who had come to greet me. I told my manager time and time again that I wanted my schedule to be taken down from the official website. While I whole-heartedly appreciated their undying support, I could do without seeing my fans every waking moment of my life. Especially today.

                After spending a whole five months in Korea, I was eager to take advantage of the first break I’d had in a long time. I gave up the majority of my time for my fans, recording song after song and rehearsing number after number in the dance studio and I would think that would be enough. Korea wasn’t my home. My home—my heart, was here in California.

                I was born and raised in San Francisco and had only left on some stupid dream to become a K-pop idol. I had little exposure to K-pop at the time and didn’t really know what it meant or what I would be giving up. I pictured it as glamour, adoration and an easy-going life. The idols back then made it look so easy and inviting. Now here I was, rushing through the airport, annoyed at the love I was receiving and running on what little sleep I managed to catch on the plane ride here.

                Don’t get me wrong, though. Being an idol has its perks sometimes. Even though I do have money now, I rarely have to pay for anything. The second people recognize me they gladly bend over backwards trying to please me. All the love is certainly a self confidence booster and the job itself wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for the extreme lack of sleep. And lack of vacation time.

                I couldn’t help but feel my heart swell upon realizing I was home, though. Finally, after five whole months away, I was home. Almost, anyway, I thought to myself as I made my way through the front door to the building and towards my limo that had pulled up to the curb. I turned and gave a quick smile and wave to my fans, who managed to get even louder than they had been before, and ducked into the limo. My manager gave the driver my address and he nodded in recognition before setting off.

                I anxiously tapped my foot on the floor in the back, finding it near impossible to calm myself down. I was positively ecstatic to finally have my long overdue break. Unbelievably happy to be able to go home and see my cat, Bruiser. I couldn’t imagine how lonely he must’ve been without me. He never had grown fond of anyone except for me. But I knew the little sweetheart that lay underneath that sleek, black fur and snarling expression.

                It wasn’t long before my door opened and I realized we had reached our destination. I gave the driver, who had gotten out to open the door for me, a sheepish smile and grabbed my bag from the spot next to me.  Then as he went to the trunk, I stopped him. “This is my only bag. Thank you.” And he tipped his hat, got back in and drove away.

                I took a moment to take in the small apartment building I called home and let out a deep breath. Nerves suddenly were getting the best of me, even though I knew better. I forced my feet forward and up the stairs to my front door, fumbling through my purse on the way up for my keys. When I got to the door however, I heard a familiar clicking sound of the lock being undone. The door opened slightly and I grinned, pressing my hand gently against it and stepping forward.

                It wasn’t a second after I had entered the room that I found myself pinned against the wall in the doorway, soft, delicious lips pressed firmly against mine. My wrists were held tight against the wall on either side of me as the mouth continued its forceful kiss as I tried to reciprocate. A tongue pressed against my lips and demanded entrance, which I eagerly supplied with a deep moan. I had missed this, so much more than I would’ve liked to admit.

                Finally, the kiss relented and became slow, before stopping completely. By then, both of us were out of breath, panting shamelessly as Bruiser came over to rub against my legs. We both looked into each other’s eyes before laughing. My wrists were released so I could bend down and greet my cat. I spoke to him in the same babying tone I always had, knowing full well that I was still being watched. I felt like prey with the close observation, but shrugged it off. After five months without each other, such attentiveness was only natural. I would probably be somewhat offended if it wasn’t like this. “Did you miss me, boy?”

                Arms wrapped around me and a face buried itself into my neck. “I missed you, Jessi.”

                I smiled at the warm breath tickling my neck and turned my head, placing a loving peck on the top of their head.

                “I missed you too, Tiffany. But I’m home now.”

                The words echoed in my head. A beautiful melody I could listen to again and again. I turned the words over, letting the meaning really sink in.

                I’m home now.