Chapter 5

Isolated Heart

 

          A week had passed since Aron and Daehyun cleaned the apartment, and now it was time for Jong Up to be sent home from the hospital.

          It was the day before he was supposed to leave when Daehyun decided to have a small celebration for him in their hospital room. Daehyun was busy cooking when Mina walked in.

          "Daehyun-ah, what are you doing?" she asked taking her shoes off.

          "Cooking, then going to the hospital," Daehyun answered while frying some meat, onions and vegetables.

          She looked around, "Where's that guy? The one who's always here?"

          "Aron-hyung? He has work so he's meeting me at the hospital," he said tasting then cringing. Too salty.

          "He's your hyung?" Mina asked looking at him wide-eyed. "I thought he was your age!"

          Daehyun gave her an incredulous look, "Bwoh? He's 25."

          "Oh…jinja?" Mina said looking at the food, "That looks good." She leaned closer for some of it but Daehyun stuck chopsticks in her way.

          "I'll leave some for you but this is for Jong Up and Hyeri," he said packing the food into containers.

          "Can I come this time?"  Mina asked.

          "Ani," Daehyun shook his head, this was the third time she asked this week.

          "Wae!" she said whining.

          "You and Jong Up don’t get along," Daehyun stated, "Though his wounds are healed, he still has some stitches. Seeing you might make his stitches pop."

          "I'll be nice!" she insisted.

          "Ani, I wont be home too late, the foods on the counter." He grabbed his keys and headed out the door.

          Little did he know, Mina wasn’t going to listen to him this time.

          "Annyeong," Daehyun greeted while pushing the door open to see Jong Up sitting on Hyeri's bed. The two were engaged in a very intense game of chopsticks.

          Their fingers were out and Jong Up was staring intently at their fingers to see which move he should make. Once he made one he cheered because he managed to knock out one of Hyeri's hands but realized that Hyeri had clapped her hands together, he face palmed.

          Hyeri made the move and ended up getting both his hands out.

          "Aish!" Jong Up ruffled his hair with his hands causing Hyeri to giggle till she noticed Daehyun.

          "Ah, Daehyun-shi!" she said smiling at him happily.

          Daehyun smiled at her and held up containers of food, "I thought we'd have a small celebration since Jong Up is leaving tomorrow," he said.

          "Awwww, for me?" Touched, Jong Up held his hand to his heart and walked around to his bed. "Man it feels good to walk."      

          "So I take it that physical therapy is done?" Daehyun asked sitting down on Hyeri's bed.

          "Neh, they said my leg healed pretty quickly and that I would have to come back monthly for a check up," he nodded and sat down.
trans.gif

          "That's good," Daehyun commented and looked around, "Aron-Hyung isn't here yet?"

          Hyeri shook her head, "He told me that he'd be getting some things before heading over here today."

          "Ah," Daehyun said, "So what did you two do all day?"

          "I went for tests most of the day," Hyeri replied. Her gaze fell to her hands.

          Jong Up leaned over and patted her hand, "It'll be okay, it's just like any other medication you get."

          "Bwoh?" Daehyun asked looking between the two.

          "The iron pills that I've been taking aren't enough for my anemia. So they're giving my injections in four hour time intervals," Hyeri explained quietly.

          Daehyun had remembered at some point during his hospital visits, Aron had mentioned that Hyeri had anemia which she developed from her mother. He also remembered that she really hated needles.

          Understanding he sympathized, "It's okay, like Jong Up said, it's like any other medication," he patted her hand softly, "And I'll start cooking more red meat and liver."  He noticed Hyeri make a face at the mention of liver, "Err...and spinach salads, lots of things that will help you gain iron."

          "Kamsamida Daehyun-shi," she gave him a smile and looked at Jong Up, "So what do you plan on doing once you get out of the hospital?"

          Jong Up shrugged.

          "Get a job," Daehyun stated flatly. "I don’t want to be the only one who makes money in the house hold"

          "Help me find one," Jong Up retorted.

          "The café I work at, we're always looking for different people," Daehyun suggested, "I can talk to my manager when I go to work in two days."

          Jong Up thought for a moment, "Don’t you have a crazy manager who has a young man ?" he asked cringing.

          "It's a job," Daehyun deadpanned. "Take it or leave it."

          "Neh, Neh, set me up then," Jong Up said noticing the look on Daehyun's face. "If I get it I don’t want any shifts with her, arasso?"

          Daehyun shrugged, "We'll see what she offers," and held out his hand to Hyeri, "Kawi Bawi Bo?" he smirked at her as the two began to play an intense game of rock paper scissors.

          This was pretty much what Aron walked into half an hour later, Hyeri, Daehyun were against Jong Up and Jong Up had a considerably red mark on his forehead.

          "Hate to interrupt your intense game of rock paper scissors," he said from the door, "But I found someone sitting outside in the hallway," he opened the door wider.

          "Mina?" Daehyun's eyes grew wide.

          "Bwoh?" Jong Up asked his eyes matching Daehyun's. "What's she doing here?"       

          "A-Annyeong," she said weakly bowing from the door as Daehyun rolled his eyes.

          "I thought I told you not to follow me," he said, his normal tone of voice went fiercer, slightly scaring Hyeri who wasn’t used to it.

          "B-But I wanted to see why you always go to the hospital and stay for so long." She looked in the room, "Jong Up-ah! I heard your were getting out of the hospital tomorrow!" she started going at him with open arms to which he ducked out of the way.

          "Don’t touch me,"  he said bluntly and walked over to Aron. "Hyung-ah! Good to see you, oh is that cake?" he asked taking the bag from him.

          "Neh, I heard you were out tomorrow," he answered, “So I decided that we were in need of a celebration.”

          “That’s cool, Daehyun brought food,” Jong Up placed the bag on the table between his and Hyeri’s bed.

          Daehyun eyed his sister who was still standing by the door, “Are you going to come in or what? Don’t be rude,” he said handing a cup to Hyeri, “Green Tea.”

          “Kamsamida Daehyun-shi” she said nodding taking a sip. “Annyeong Oppa,”

          Mina observed the girl that was in the bed closest to the window where Daehyun sat. She was pale and skinny but her eyes and voice were filled with happiness.

          Aron smiled walking over to her, “Annyeong,” he ruffled her hair, “How are you feeling today?”

          Hyeri grimaced just as a nurse walked in.

          “Hyeri-shi, it’s time for your injection.” She smiled.

          “Bwoh?” Aron asked.

          “Her iron level is lower than we thought and the pills seem to have a slow effect so for the next two weeks she needs to get an iron enriched supplement injected into her system every four hours,” the nurse explained, “The doctor will be in shortly to give you the shot,” she set the tray down on the table.

          “Ah, jinja…” Aron said thinking, “He knows you hate needles though.”

          “He said that it’s the only way to bring my iron level backup,” Hyeri mumbled.

          “I’m amazed he made this decision without me knowing. I’ll talk to him when he gets in and see if we have any other option, okay?” Aron said sitting at the edge of the bed.

          “Neh” she said leaning her head on his shoulder and eyed Mina.

          Daehyun noticed the look and cleared his throat.

          “Hyeri-shi, this is Mina. She’s my nuna” Daehyun said introducing the two.

          Hyeri just bowed to her without saying anything and that didn’t mix well with Mina who was used to being respected with voice.

          “ Yah,” Mina said loudly , “Why aren’t you saying anything? Show some respect,"

          Hyeri visibly shrunk back from the loud voice and leaned against Aron looking up at Mina from her bangs.

          "Daehyun, she's being pretty rude," Mina said, it was obvious she didn’t like her at first sight and she couldn’t exactly pin point why.

          Daehyun shook his head, "Hyeri is like that, it took her almost a few days to a week for her to actually talk to me. Don’t be so rude by yelling at her when she didn’t do anything wrong," he bluntly stated.

          "She's not respecting me," Mina whined causing every guy in the room to roll their eyes.

          "You're annoying," Jong Up bluntly stated crossing his arms and walked over to sit next to Daehyun, "I'm hungry, can we eat now?"

          Daehyun nodded handing him a pair of chopsticks from the table and handed one pair to Hyeri and Aron as well.  He eyed his sister for a while, "Did you eat yet?" he asked.

          Mina nodded noticing Daehyun's tone of annoyance. She sat on Jong Up's bed quietly watching the four eat.

          "Daehyun-shi," Hyeri called softly, "This is good," she referred to the bulgogi and rice she was eating.

          Daehyun gave her an eye smile, "Aron-hyung told me that it was your favorite dish. I'm glad you like it."

          Mina just watched Jong Up easily interact with Aron and Hyeri, joking around, laughing. She couldn’t remember the last time Daehyun had really smiled like that. It looked so genuine and he looked so care free instead of the emotionless face he always had when he was at home.

          Not long after, a knock was heard at the door. "Hyeri-ah, it's time for your shot," the doctor said walking in.

          Hyeri's hand grabbed Aron's hand out of instinct.

          "Ajusshi, is there any other option other than the injections? You know Hyeri doesn’t like needles," Aron said looking at him from the bed.

          The doctor sighed, "I wish there was another way but looking at her charts, her iron just keeps getting lower and lower. At this rate, even though her injuries are healed, she wont be able to discharged till her iron level goes back to normal. The injection is the only way."

          "Oh…" Aron said thinking for a moment before turning to Hyeri, "It'll be okay," he soothed, "It'll help you get better right? You want to get out of here. It's just like any other type of medication."

          "Daehyun and Jong Up said the exact same thing," she said wringing her hands together nervously.

          "All you'll feel is a pinch for about five seconds and that’s it," the doctor said, "You can hold Aron's hand too. It'll be okay"

          Hyeri thought for a long moment before nodding.

          "Are you ready?" he asked preparing the syringe.

          Hyeri nodded once more grasping onto Aron's hand tightly.

          As the needle touched her arm, she shut her eyes.

          "Okay in 5,4,3,2,1, all done," the doctor said pulling the needle out. "See that wasn’t so bad was it?"

          Hyeri opened her eyes shaking her head and leaned against Aron, closing her eyes.

          "I'll be back before bed to give you your last shot," the doctor said rubbing her arm and walked out of the room.

          "Can you stay till then?" she asked Aron who shook his head sadly.

          "I have work tomorrow, Ri" he said, "But Jong Up will be here, I'm sure he'll be a good substitute," he motioned to Jong Up who nodded.

          "You can squeeze the day lights out of my hand," he grinned at her, "And I'll even play Kawi Bawi Bo with you after, before we sleep, okay?"

          Hyeri had to think for a moment before she answered, "Neh, you promise Kawi Bawi Bo," she looked at Jong Up sternly.

          "Neh," he grinned holding out his pinky which Hyeri hesitantly took.