Part 1

Strings [Rewritten ver.]

 

 

A/N: I'm sorry ;; It’s been so long that I can’t remember anything so I had to remake it and turn it into a twoshot instead I just- \inhales, exhales. And excuse my horrible writing skills cause I haven’t written anything for months \ugly sobbings. Youngjae's flashback part and the ending will be in the next part so stay tuned ^^

Sorry again if it's ty. Thank you for putting up with me TT TT i love you~

 


 

“Guys!” Jongup’s voice echoed through the silent living room. Everyone was anxious because Junhong hadn’t come back for two days after he was sent on a mission to infiltrate a rival gang’s hideout. It’s a risky mission but Junhong decided to go for it nonetheless. He wanted to prove to them that he’s not a baby anymore and that he can handle it. They were hoping he’d come back safely, bringing the informations they wanted about the gang’s leader – Daniel Choi.

 

Everyone looked at the shortest member of their gang, hoping he brought back good news about Junhong instead but the look on his eyes told them otherwise.

 

“Junhong’s being held hostage by Daniel.” He continued afterwards and everybody in the room began to stiffen.

 

 

- - -

 

 

Junhong opened his eyes only to be greeted by a smirking Daniel. He was seated on a chair, in the middle of an empty room at what seemed to be an abandoned warehouse. Both of his hands were tied and there were two other people beside him. They were probably in charge of eyeing him so that he wouldn’t try doing anything stupid to escape.

 

He remembered clearly what happened that night when he was camping out just a few kilometers away from Daniel’s territory. The tall teen had been attacked by ten of Daniel’s underlings but managed to defeat all of them since he’s good at hand to hand combat, unlike the other members of his gang. The sole reason he was chosen to do this alone was because of that. He thought he succeeded in defending himself but he thought wrong. Unfortunately, luck was not on his side as he was outnumbered all of a sudden when more of Daniel’s underlings approached him from every corner of his campsite. Eventhough he didn’t gave in that easily but a hundred men was too much for even Choi Junhong to handle.

 

“Well… well… what do we have here?” Daniel said mockingly, trying to get some sort of reaction from Junhong but all the teen did was stare at him, unfazed.

“Still the same old Junhongie I see… Always pretending to be calm and all that.”

“Tch” was all Junhong could offer him. Daniel didn’t pushed him any further though. Choi Junhong is his cousin afterall. He’s known him for so long. He wouldn’t be getting the amusement he wanted ever so badly by playing this little game of his unless the rest of the B.A.P members arrived here. Choi Junhong alone wasn’t that amusing. He always had been a boring kid.

 

So Daniel decided to torture him.

 

He knew Junhong wouldn’t scream. He knew that the latter wouldn’t even flinch but hey, seeing him bleed to death? Now that’s amusing enough to occupy him for the meantime.

 

- - -

 

 

Yongguk was in his and Himchan’s shared room checking his weapons out one by one. It’s been a long time since he last got his hands dirty. Yongguk used to be a merciless assassin. Taking people’s life away was easy for him because he did almost everyday. He was like the other version of the grim reaper. People feared him, people tried to avoid him (except his gang members that is). That’s how scary he used to be.

 

Untill Choi Junhong joined them one day.

 

The latter was only twelve back then. He was introduced to them by Jongup, a very best friend of his. The rest of them was curious as to why Junhong was so persistent on wasting his life by joining a gang when he could have gotten so much with his good looks and charms.  Junhong only said one thing. That one thing though, managed to stop them from questioning him any longer.

“Revenge” he said with an unwavered expression. “I want to avenge my parents’ death. I need to kill that bastard.”

 

“Who?” Youngjae asked. Junhong lowered his head, mouth quirking up into a sinister like smirk.

 

“Daniel Choi”

 

All of them, except Jongup, were stunned. That name was common to all of them. The main reason B.A.P was formed was to target that bastard and get rid of him for good. Their families were also killed by Daniel. B.A.P was formed solely based on that reason. But sometimes they got carried away and did things that they shouldn’t. Yongguk taking people’s life away because he’s paid to do it, Himchan harassing shop owners and asking them to hand over a huge amount of protection money, Daehyun shoplifts all the time without an ounce of guilt, Youngjae hacking the government’s database to steal a few top secret informations for fun  and Jongup bulliying other kids at his school almost everyday.

 

“I heard from Jongup that you guys were planning to get him back for the same reason so I thought I could team up with you guys…”

 

Junhong’s determination made all of them realized what they were supposed to do. What they should’ve done months ago before someone else became a victim of Daniel’s little game.

 

Yes, they were all so young but that doesn’t mean that they’re easily broken. They were born as fighters.

 

From that day onwards, all of them began to change. Yongguk no longer assassinate people, Himchan stopped asking for protection money, Daehyun didn’t shoplift anymore, Youngjae decided to read boring science related books for fun and Jongup started being nice to his friends at school.

 

Choi Junhong had lead them back to the path that they were straying from and that’s why he’s special to all of them.

 

He is the string that bound all of them together.

 

Yongguk was brought back to reality when he heard someone knocked on his door. He made his way towards it slowly and turned the door knob around. Himchan was the first to greet him when he opened the door amongst the three other men standing in front of him.

 

“Are you ready Yongguk-ah?”

 

Said man smiled confidently at him. “More than ever.”

 

“We’re going to bring him back.” He uttered, but mostly to himself since his voice was barely audible.

 

- - -

 

The entire ride to the abandoned warehouse was filled with heavy silence. All of the members were too absorbed in their own thoughts to even care about the eerie atmosphere around them. They were all thinking about the same person. They were all thinking about Choi Junhong.

 

Sitting next to the window, Jongup reminiscence about the times when Junhong would sit next to him when he’s busying himself, cleaning and checking the guns. He’s the weapon specialist of B.A.P afterall (next to Daehyun that is). He always made sure that all of the weapons are in good condition because nobody knows what might happen in the future.

 

“Oooh hyung you’re so cool.” Junhong had said to him once, astonishment evident on his face. He picked up a peculiar looking gun and played with it to check it out. The bullets were removed by Jongup in advance because he doesn’t want Junhong to hurt someone – literally. The last time Jongup gave him permission to check out one of his guns he almost shot Youngjae’s . The former yelled at the both of them, complaining about how precious his butts were and how they should be careful of where they’re pointing the gun at. Jongup and Junhong laughed at how dramatic Youngjae was being but the former ignored them and continued his ‘work’ which was reading science related books while sitting on the sofa. Typical Yoo Youngjae.

 

After done playing with the gun, Junhong placed it back onto the table. “Hyung, have you been having nightmares recently?” Came the shocking question. Jongup froze in his seat.

 

“W-what do you know about?” he stuttered, feeling embarrassed. He’s the hyung and Junhong seemed more emotionless (fearless) than him. He never saw the maknae got scared of anything – horror movies, low test scores, Yongguk’s laser eyes, anything.

 

And here we have him crying in his sleep because he was having nightmares. Great.

 

“You’ve been dreaming about what happened to your family right? I heard you hyung. You were so loud that night that I couldn’t even sleep. What happened actually? In what way was that bastard related to your family’s death?”

 

To many questions were being asked at the same time and he prefer to avoid answering all of them. He didn’t want to remember. But the one that asked them was Junhong and he wouldn’t take no for an answer. He’s persistent. He wanted to know. And so Jongup told him willingly.

 

 

“My father was one of his dad’s subordinate.” The shorter of the two started. “He ditched Blue Dragon, Daniel’s inherited gang, because he was tired of the crime life. He wanted to repent and start anew so he turned himself over to the police. Once he got out of prison, he married my mom who’s his long time lover and a few years later I was born. He thought they’ve decided to  let it slide because it’s been years and he’s still alive but apparently, he was wrong. They were both killed on my 11th birthday.”

 

Junhong listened to Jongup’s story intently, trying to understand what he’s been feeling throughout the years.

 

“My life was spared because I was at school that time. The moment I unlocked the front door, all I saw was blood. There’s blood everywhere around my parents’ dead bodies. Imagine the horror of seeing that when you’re just a little kid who’s still growing. That damaged me, Junhong. That horrible sight turned me into the person I am today.”

 

Jongup sighed and gave the youngest a halfhearted smile. Junhong stayed quiet, unsure of what to say. In situations like these, he always said something that he would regret later so he decided to just keep his mouth shut. The uncomfortable silence remained for a few minutes until Jongup decided to ask the other a question in return.

 

“What’s your story, Junhong?”

 

Junhong swallowed, hard. He’s not ready to tell them his story yet. It would probably shocked the hell out of Jongup and the others. The former noticed the way Junhong shifted uncomfortably in his seat and giggled. “I thought he doesn’t have any emotions, but he does!” He thought to himself. “Well of course silly! He’s still a human no matter how tough he pretended to be.” He added later as an afterthought.

 

“Junhong…”

“Yeah?”

“If you’re not comfortable telling me your story now, I can always wait for another time…”

Junhong nodded and smiled at him, feeling grateful. Jongup just kept giggling at how cute their so called emotionless maknae was acting.

 

- - -

 

 

Thirty more minutes till they reach their destination. Himchan was busy worrying about how the others were feeling that he forgot to keep his own emotions in check.

 

This wasn’t like the last time Junhong went missing.

 

“Himchan hyung!” The younger of the two called out. Himchan who was previously fixing the car that Yongguk had destroyed on their last mission, dropped the spanner and turned his gaze towards the teenager.

 

“What is it now, Junhong-ah?”

 

Himchan had always been the caring type so whenever the maknae was insecure about some things, he’d always go to Himchan for advice.

 

“You still haven’t found that necklace of yours?”

 

Himchan didn’t expect him to ask  that. He didn’t saw it coming at all.

 

“Why are you bringing that up all of a sudden? I said it was okay if I couldn’t find it. Don’t stress yourself over such petty things, Junhong-ah.” The former’s gaze fell to the floor and instantly, Junhong knew that something was off. Something about Himchan’s answer felt off.

 

“But hyung, it was all my fault! That necklace…”

“I said it’s okay.” Himchan smiled at him but it’s not his usual smiles. “Run along now… I need to finish my job. Go and play with Jongup or something…” Junhong was pushed outside the garage and just when he was about to protest, the door was shut down. Junhong could tell that it’s definitely not okay for Himchan to lose the only thing that he had left to remind him of his family.

 

And so Junhong left their home to find that missing necklace without anyone knowing.

 

He went to search at a few places where the necklace might be found and it took him days. He’s determined to not go back without the necklace in his hands. He thought that the others wouldn’t mind, or that they wouldn’t even notice that he was gone but guess again.

 

“What do you mean he didn’t come back?!” Himchan yelled at Daehyun who was the only person at home with Junhong before he disappeared. The latter tried to rip his gaze away from Himchan’s furious ones. “I.. He.. he said that he was going to the convenience store and he’ll be back soon. I didn’t expect him to just went off somewhere without telling any of us.” He gulped, hard. Himchan was still staring at him like he’s going to eat him. “Settle down Channie. Junhong’s not stupid enough to let himself be in danger. He’s not a kid anymore you know…”

“Thanks Yongguk, that was really helpful of you.” The sarcasm was spat at their leader, along with a glare. No matter how many years passed, Junhong will always be his little baby brother.

 

“The necklace…” Himchan muttered under his breath, suddenly remembering what Junhong asked him a few days ago before he went missing. “Guys, that’s it! He’s looking for my necklace!”

 

He didn’t say a word after that. Himchan went inside the car and speed his way out of their front yard. He definitely knew where Junhong was.

 

“Junhong you fool…”

 

Panting heavily, Junhong forced his way towards the shady cherry blossom tree to sit on the bench below it. People at the park were staring at him weirdly but he understood them, he’s been lingering around here for days. He probably looked messy, exhausted and smelly. But one thing that managed to made him cracked a smile despite the condition he was in was the fact that he had finally found Himchan’s necklace. Gripping it tight in his hold, Junhong mustered up all the energy he had left to finally go home and tell Himchan the good news. Just when he was about to do so, a hand was placed on his shoulder. He turned around only to be facing a half crying and half smiling Himchan. The former hugged him tight.

 

“Don’t you ever do that again Junhong-ah!” worry was evident in his tone. Junhong smiled at that, Himchan had always been an overprotective hyung. “I found your necklace hyung…” he said weakly. “Thank you for protecting me that day. Instead of saying ‘thank you’ I made you lost your precious necklace. I’m finally relieved now that I’ve found it.”

 

When the younger finished uttering those words, he passed out in Himchan’s embrace. Tired but happy.

 

- - -

 

Daehyun noticed the way Himchan kept shifting in his seat and asked him what’s wrong. They were just fifteen minutes away from the place Daniel told them.

“I’m just worried about Junhong-ah… Will he be okay until we get there?”

Daehyun patted Himchan’s shoulder in an attempt to comfort the elder. “Don’t worry hyung, he’s a tough kid. He’ll make it out of this alive. We’ll make it out of this alive. Believe me.”

Himchan sighed. “I guess you’re right. He’s tough. He can handle it until we’re there.”

Daehyun smiled and whispered to himself…

 

“I am right hyung. He really is the toughest kid I’ve ever met and I owe him my life for that.”

 

“Junhong-ah…”

 

The blonde haired teenager whose name was called lifted his head up and sent a questioning look to his hyung. “What?” was his short reply. Daehyun sighed in his seat, getting up and making his way to the younger.

 

“Show me your hand…” the older of the two demanded with a serious tone in his voice. Junhong tried to ignore Daehyun’s request but he was persistent so he grabbed the latter’s hand harshly making him hissed in pain.

 

“I knew it…”

 

“Nothing serious hyung… Mind your own business”

 

Daehyun shook his head in disapproval then walked to the kitchen to fetch a first aid kit. He opened the box and took out a bandage and an ointment.  He tried to persuade the younger to let him treat his wound but Junhong was being stubborn. He wouldn’t let him.

 

“Hyung… go get some sleep. You’ve been awake for the past 24 hours. You need rest, I can handle myself and it’s my turn to guard the place anyway…” Junhong was pleading this time. Daehyun felt sympathetic towards that boy. He was injured because of Daehyun’s petty mistake anyway.

 

Daehyun had been up all night watching over their hideout in case there were any intruders running around resulting to him being exhausted. Their gang was one of the most targeted ones in Seoul and it’s best if they keep a look out. To his dismay, he encountered an intruder when he was on his way to check the garage and was forced to fight with all the energy he had left, which was about none. What’s worse was that he forgot to bring along a weapon when said intruder had so many of it. After throwing his final punch he collapsed on the floor while panting heavily.

 

That was when Junhong had come to defend him. Though the latter brought along a gun with him but he never used it. Hand to hand combat was his skill afterall. Daehyun felt bad because he wasn’t able to help him. Junhong seemed tired too but he fought with all his might.

 

“What had this kid been up to? He’s almost as exhausted as me. Don’t tell me…” he trailed off the last part.

 

The opponent was finally knocked out and Junhong smiled in victory. He rushed towards Daehyun to help him. Daehyun muttered a ‘thank you’ to Junhong as the both of them made their way back into their hideout.

 

“Junhong-ah… Did you…” the boy with brownish hair was hesistant to ask at first, but continued anyway.  “Did you not sleep at all last night just to…”

 

“Yes. I couldn’t let you go on duty alone hyung, because I know something like this would happen.” Junhong replied knowingly. Daehyun’s heart skipped a beat after hearing Junhong’s sincere reply.