Lost

Lost

 

How the hell did this happen?

I surveyed the four walls, bathing in utter disdain. I tried my best to focus on nothing else but the open book in front of me, yet for the first time in a long time, I could not. I was having too hard of a struggle accepting this part of reality.

How the hell does a self-proclaimed ‘goody two shoes’, oozing with timidity and revels in nothing but schoolwork end up in detention?

I buried my face in my hands. It was hard to absorb any of it, especially because of the fact that I went through 3 whole years of high school without ever stepping a single toe in this part of the institution. I guess fate thought it would be funny to put me in this kind of situation in my senior year, 2 weeks before graduation.

Curse the person who planted that rotten note inside of my desk.

Curse that substitute teacher who refused to believe me when I said that it was not mine.

Curse this.

“Can you stop whining? It’s annoying.”

I did not even realize that I was making any sort of sound.

Which I was not, by the way.

I looked back at the person on the chair beside me. The resident bad boy had a certain reputation to keep. I do not even doubt the idea that he had spent pretty much every single afternoon in this very place. He was so used to this, it was easy enough to believe that it had become part of his daily routine.

If detention was a coffee shop across the street, he would be a regular customer; on time, all the time.

By now, he was probably the leading expert of detention.

Kai.

I shuffled in my seat and ignored his remark. Instead, I brought my focus to the clock poised on the wall. I frowned. There were still 2 hours left of this superficial madness. I predicted that those 2 hours would pass by like an eternity, beside such a man who was so easy to despise. I nearly wished that the teacher in-charge had stayed, so there was at least some sort of guidance.

The dragging monotone that rang within the four walls grew even longer. The only sound was that of two people breathing; Kai and me. If one would listen closely, I swear, he or she would be able to hear both of our heartbeats.

“This is such a waste of time.”

It was me who spoke this time. There was no use in small-talk, I knew that. I had already expected that an even more deafening silence would follow.

“That’s only one way of looking at it.”

His quiet, low-pitched voice surprised me. I turned to face him, but then I decided that I should not have.

There was something about his eyes that made you want to look at them and not look away.

“If you think this is a waste,” he said, a glimmer of deviousness in the expression of his face. “Then maybe we could do something that’s worth our time.”

As he said those words, I instantly felt the clockwork inside of my chest react.

There were only a number of reasons why a girl’s heart would suddenly fall into a frenzy. It was always either something good or something bad.

In my mind, I had already equated Kai with something bad.

“What are you saying?” I asked, my voice slightly trembling.

His lips broke out into a smirk. He withdrew his gaze and I pried mine away, as well. A wave of relief washed over me.

Note to self: do not ever think of starting any sort of conversation with rogue personalities.

Of all the empty seats, I wished that he had taken one in the back, where I could ignore him and pretend like he was not there, like I always had.

Once more, I made an effort to weave my eyes among the strands of words of the book I held. I was just beginning to regain my focus when I felt a tug at the collar of my uniform. I turned to face the only one who could cause nuisance at the moment. A knot formed in the pit of my stomach. I nearly fell out of my seat when I realized the close proximity of his fingers to my face.

“What?” I said, forcing my tone to be stable and firm.

“How can you still read when I’m here?”

What?

Is he serious?

I shrugged his hold off of me and crossed my arms over my chest.

“Look who’s whining now,” I answered, facing him with steady eyes. “Am I supposed to be minding you? Because I don’t see why I should.”

Kai seemed taken aback at this.

“Do you know who I am?”

“Of course. Does it matter though?” I answered, indifference resonating.

I threw back his question at him.

“Do you know who I am?”

He seemed to compose himself.

“I do. And it is actually important to me that you know who I am.”

“Oh yeah? Why is that?”

“Because—“

He had the deceptive glint in his eyes again.

“—I bet you’re wondering why you’re here.”

I tilted my head to the side, confused.

“I am. And?”

“And I just happen to be the reason.”

By now, all of my attention was directed to him.

“What?”

“The note. I placed that note inside your desk.”

“Why would you do that?” I asked, my voice, more curious than blameful.

I only noticed now how we were closely leaning towards each other.

“Because all these years, you’ve made it hard for me to corner you,” Kai said, a hint of shyness evident in his false uncaring tone. “And this was the only way I could think of.”

This was crazy.

I tried to speak but my thoughts froze inside of my mouth before they could even take coherent forms.

“I bet you think I’m lying right now.”

I nodded.

He smiled and shook his head.

“To be honest, I’d do everything I can just to get away from detention,”

He reached out towards me and I thought that he was going to tug at my collar again. Instead, a surprisingly gentle hand touched the side of my face.

“But you’re here and I can’t even think about leaving.”

He said those words and I convinced myself that I was definitely dreaming.

At this point, I could not look at him straight. My gaze just automatically fell on my skirt and my bare knees. My hands remained folded in front of me. Unlike most girls who fidgeted when they were in potentially compromising situations, I froze.

Kai drew away and I felt relief wash over me; I finally felt like I could breathe again.

Normally, I was pretty apathetic and uncaring about these things. Heck. I even considered myself confident.

But who was this guy to mess all of that up?

Who was this guy who made me so damn nervous?

Beside me, I heard him chuckle.

“That was priceless,”

I turned. His previous tone had faded into something less serious and conniving.

“You honestly looked like you were going to throw up.”

Oh goodness.

He was joking.

Who could ever think that a punk like him could ever turn into a Casanova?

“Like I even believed you for a second,”

I scoffed at him.

“Dream on, lover boy.”

Wow. It felt good to say that.

His critically-acclaimed smirk made its comeback on his face (Which I think, must be critically-acclaimed as well).

 “You’re fascinating. Did you know that?” he said, leaning on his elbow with his chin laid on his palm.

He stared at me with a hunter’s eyes, as if observing a new brand of species, “You’re really fascinating.”

“And you’re annoying.” I said, simply because he was.

Kai laughed, “You’re definitely something.”

I decided not to prolong whatever was going on between us at that moment. I directed my line of sight back towards my book. To avoid further disturbance, I got my Ipod from my bag, wore my earphones and played some relaxing, brain-stimulating music.

Just when I thought I was finally getting some peace of mind, the vile creature was once more on the move.

With two quick fingers, he took off one of my earphones and I was left with no alternative other than to bring my attention back to him.

“What?”

“Go on a date with me.”

“What?” I exclaimed, grabbing the wire from his grasp.

“You’re special and I want you to go on a date with me.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“Go on a date with me.”

“You’re crazy.”

“Go on a date with me.”

“You're out of your mind.”

“I don’t think so,”

He stood up with his bag, hoisted on his shoulder.

“I’m actually really rational right now,”

He offered me his hand.

“Let’s get out of here and let’s have date. Our first.”

I do not know what came over me, but at that point in time, I thought he looked really sincere. At that second, it did not matter if he did or did not plant that note inside my desk. At that moment, I did not care if he was lying or not.

At that moment, I completely and utterly lost my mind.

“Go on a date with me.”

Without even thinking, without even considering the outcome, without a single clue of what I was doing, I took Kai’s hand.

“Let’s go.”

And I did not regret any of it.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

What do you think? :) I'm having A LOT of fun making oneshots.

Read the others, 'kay? Go to the Foreword for the links. :D

A shoutout to someone who coerced me to mention her. :)) HEY! ODEURI! :D HAPPY NOW? Did you like it? :)

Did YOU guys like it??

Comment! Subscribe! LOVE!