01 | Personal Devil

Nice to Meet You, Mr.Devil

01.Personal Devil

 

No, don't back down on me now!

Pressing on the bicycle's handle brakes, your feet touched the ground to keep it balanced. You got off the bike and kneeled down on the ground, gingerly touching the broken chains that kept the bike from moving smoothly. Of course, your ride decided to break while you were going to school.

"Great, how will I fix this?" You muttered, examining the flaws on the chain. Without tools, it was hopeless to try to fix it on time for school.

"Hey!" A white car slowly approached and almost ran you over as it parked in front of you. Its windows rolled down in the passenger's seat. Oh great, what does she want? You arched your eyebrows as your cousin gave you a smug smile from inside the car.

"You poor thing..." She pouted, looking up and down at you. "There you go again, riding that rusty old bike!"

"Its not that bad, Hye Joo," You answered, hiding the broken chains from her by standing in front of it. The bike was given to you by your uncle, aka Hye Joo's father, a long time ago. He still hasn't considered buying you a new one no matter how many times you pleaded.

Your cousin simply shrugged and added, "I don't know why you ride that piece of trash to school when you could be like me." She pointed to the comfortable interior of the car, including a nice air conditioner for the summer. She was driven by a personal chauffer, thanks to her Dad's big loads of money. Hye Joo added, "You're supposed to be our school's Class President! What will they think when they see you in that? Ugh, and you're sweating!"

"I don't mind a little sweat," You scoffed. But actually you did. You just didn't like riding with Hye Joo since it always leads up to having a bad mood before school. 

"Suit yourself!" She smiled. "I can't be seen with the school's stain, anyways!"

The look on her face irritated you so much, but you kept your self calm by releasing your anger through squeezing the straps of your bag. Hye Joo finally ordered the driver to continue on to their destination, leaving you to push your bike for seven blocks by foot to get to school.

Continuing uphill, you reached the school with a couple of minutes to spare. Not a lot of students rode bikes (They believe that would be hurtful for their image) so instead they had stuck-up chauffers like Hye Joo.

You glanced down at your watch. Ten minutes. You dropped your bike on the sidewalk and hurried to the school's quad, running past other students. Some gave you friendly smiles while some whispered the usual. "She's poor." "Don't touch her, she's not upperclass men like us."

Being Class President doesn't always mean you get to have everything. Dae Jung high school was for the elites; the rich. And you were just a commoner. The only reason you got to attend the school was because your uncle owned it. Not even your high grades alone could get you into Dae Jung. There were actually a lot of people who didn't like you just because of your social status, and its all thanks to Hye Joo for starting the whole thing. The only reason you got to be Class President was because of your high grades and of course, strict leadership.

"Boss! Wait up!"

You stopped and turned around, seeing a freshman run over. You made him become one of your assistants when you won the chair for Class President.

"Here's your coffee, Boss," He panted and handed you a coffee cup complete with napkins.

You took the cup from him and looked inside. "Java chips, whipped cream, and caramel. Good, you got all of them this time."

The boy grinned widely. Compliments from you was so rare that anyone who recieved it would be looked up to by the other students, especially coming from a freshman. "Thank you!" He exclaimed. "That'll be five thousand won, please!"

You sipped on your coffee and smiled, "Oh, of course. You want your money back, don't you?"

The boy nodded his head and watched you fish something out from your backpack.

"Here. I hope this is enough."

The boy's face turned into grimmace, while you sipped on the coffee nonchalantly. He looked back and forth from you to the pink detention slip that layed on the palm of his hand. His jaw extended downwards in disbelief. "Boss! W-why did you give this to me?!" He cried.

"Next time, don't ask your President to pay you back, okay?" You smirked and turned around, finding that a cricle of students have been watching you all along. They all stood back at least five meters away, with their whispers filtering towards you.

"Get back to class! All of you!" You snapped and in a mere second, everyone dissipated.

You were about to continue into the quad until a hand suddenly pulls you in, dragging you by a wall.

"Hey! What are you--"

"Good morning Hae Ri."

You tilt your chin up and see your best friend Myung Soo, looking over you. He gave you one of his childish smiles. You groaned and lightly punched his chest, pulling yourself away. 

"Aish! That hurt!" He whined, rubbing his chest. "I was just trying to surprise you!"

"Surprising me isn't necessary!" You snapped, walking out into the quad with him.

The two of you sat down by the water fountain, which stood in the middle. Myung Soo was the Vice-President. Despite his playful personality, he's actually quite intelligent.

You took out your folder filled with papers written with notes about plans for this school year. Since you were a senior, this year was going to be your last and you didn't want to mess anything up.

"Alright, I think we should start talking about next month," You announced, arranging the papers in order until Myung Soo snatches it away from you. You tried to retrieve it back, but he was determined not to let you touch it.

"Hey!" You shreiked, reaching out for his hand. 

"You've been working too much. I can see your eyebags getting bigger!" He laughed, hiding the folder behind his back.

This was the typical Myung Soo, always teasing you for the smallest stuff. His childish personality annoyed you sometimes, but its seems as if he satisfies himself seeing you like that. You never understood his logic in doing it, and you probably never will.

You gave up half-way when he started to thereaten you by throwing it into the fountain. "Fine, keep it!" You exclaimed and took your backpack with you, prepared to leave.

You stood up when his hand suddenly grabbed your shoulder. He made you turn around and gave the folder back, regretting that he decided to mess with you.

"I was just kidding. You didn't have to take everything so seriously, you know."

"I'm the Class President, of course I have to be serious. I have to represent our school," You said, putting back the folder inside your bag.

"Yeah? Well you weren't like this before," Myung Soo replied. "You were actually fun before you ever became our Class President. Now the students are afraid of you for being so demanding all the time."

"I honestly don't care," You sighed.

The students didn't seem to understand your theory. The way you see it, the school had too many morons running around. Just because they had the money doesn't mean they could do whatever they wanted. So, you wanted to lay out rules for them. Of course, you had to be harsh sometimes. Sweet-talking them would not lead to any progress.

"But you're the President. The students need someone who listens to their opinions, not some kind of dictator," Myung Soo protested.

Dictator?! You knew you were harsh, but it didn't go as far as that. "Exactly how, may I ask?"

Myung Soo clicked his tongue, which was rare for you because he only does that when he's getting pissed off. And getting pissed off was something unimaginable, since he's so friendly and cheery all the time. Myung Soo ruffled his hair in a frustrated way and said, "I saw you give that poor kid a pink slip."

"So?" You shrugged coldly.

"Don't you think you were a little too hard on him?" He raised his eyebrows, looking at the freshman's direction. "I mean, the kid was nice enough to get you that coffee and you treat him like rubbish."

You crossed your arms and furrowed your eyebrows. "I know what I'm doing, okay? I don't need anybody's help."

"So you don't need a Vice President around then, huh?" He asked.

You could tell just by looking at his eyes that he was offended. Oops.

"Myung Soo, you know I didn't mean it like that."

"Yeah right," He muttered, sitting back down on the edge of the fountain.

Myung Soo played with the hem of his uniform, looking down.

The awkward silence surrounding you was slowly making you suffocate. You hated that he had such a sensitive personality. The reason wasn't really for the fact that he gets too attached. Instead, it always made you feel so vulnerable around him. Whenever Myung Soo was hurt, you would do anything he told you to do to cheer him up again. He was probably the only person you knew who could get you to say sorry.

"Come on, you know I can't stand seeing you like this," You whined and pulled on his hands to make him stand back up again.

"... Fine," He finally stood up next to you when the bell suddenly rang.

Everyone in the quad started to separate their ways to get to their first period class.

"We better get going before we're late," You took Myung Soo's backpack from the ground and swung it around his shoulder.

"Thanks," He smiled, fixing the wrinkles he made on his uniform from fiddling with it.

"No problem," You replied. "...And tuck in your shirt!"

Myung Soo chuckled, doing as you had ordered. "Alright, mother," He groaned.

The two of you made your way from the quad when you suddenly felt something strange. You slowed down instead of pausing from walking and turned your head to look behind you. There was a tall boy leaning his back against the hallway wall, wearing the school's uniform. He looked unfamiliar.

Who is he?

●●●●●●●●●●

 

Se Hun POV

I glanced at the girl when she foolishly turned her head away from me and continued to walk with her friend. I looked down at the schedule for my classes, which should be the same as the girls'; if not, then hypnotizing the school's principal into letting me in at the last minute would've been a waste of my time.

As a devil, I was given the task of making sure that the girl's life will end today at the right time. And to do that, I must follow her wherever she goes with the help from my 'tricks'. I must admit, that without it my task would be almost impossible. 

I folded up the paper and slid it inside the pocket of my uniform.

The poor girl won't know what's about to come to her.

"Kim Hae Ri..." I smirked, watching her leave the hallway. "You've just met your personal devil."

                                                                                                                                                                                         

Yay, first chapter~ Thanks to my subbies and please don't forget to show your support by upvoting! ♥