Her feelings

Mermaids - Tales to the surface

 

 

 

“Why do you have to do it?”  - Sunhwa heard from behind, upon reaching the surface.

“I just did what they asked me to…” – she answered not bothering to turn around. A satisfied smile on her face.

“Why do you have to drown every single sailor you meet?”  - she heard another voice.

“Well, didn’t you drown a dozen this morning?” – Sunhwa snapped.

The other mermaid didn’t reply.

“Sunhwa… you’re not like this, you know that…” – a second one spoke, swimming closer, untangling her hair. -  “I would like to know what the matter is…” – she completed tenderly.

Sunhwa sighed.
It was difficult for her to just admit she was insecure. Who would ever believe a mermaid had reasons to be insecure? 
Insecure… lonely…
Jieun wouldn’t stop talking about that one man that had shown her his heart; Hyosung would swim so far just to take a glance at her fisherman; Zinger had been meeting up with a man…

She felt her best when she proved herself to herself.
Changing strong minded sailor’s path by attracting them with her voice; convincing them to enter the water, to bath with her, by whispering promises no man alive would resist; dragging them to deepest in the sea… the proof no men could resist her charms.

And in fact, who would?
Mermaids are magic creatures. Some say they are the closest one may get to Poseidon, for they are his daughters, the sea’s heirs. Their beauty is unimaginable and incomparable… but if it is all magic, would any man give them a second look if not for enchantment?

Sunhwa had always wondered what it would feel like to be human; to be like those women she had seen by the beach… holding their children, kissing their husbands… she had always wondered how it felt like to have someone loving you for your true self, and not because they are charmed, trapped by a magical beauty.

“Aren’t we doomed to destroy what the want the most?” – she finally replied. The sadness in her voice deeper than the big blue ocean.