Her sailor

Mermaids - Tales to the surface

 

 

 

A small fountain inside of a cave, four steps away from the shore.
A big rock right in the middle of it, dividing the teardrop shaped natural pool in two. One side faced the entrance of the cave. The water like a thin cold blanket; the other, faced the rocky wall. Tiny diamonds shinning in the water.

Jieun had been there again. She lay on the diamonds side. Nobody would see her this way.

“Stupid men…” – she cursed. The burn on her shoulder still hurt.
She let a painful cry out, then she heard an unfamiliar noise.

“Stupid…”

Jieun gasped. Nobody would ever go there.
“Don’t come near here!” – she demanded.

“I… I’m sorry!” – she heard the voice again. A man – “I didn’t know there was someone here…”
He sounded week.

“Damn it…” – Jieun spoke, more to herself, but the man had listen to that too. The burn on her shoulder had been caused by a torch.
The flames had not faded upon touching the water. That stupid fishermen had thrown that on her on purpose.

“Is something the matter?” – she heard that deep voice again. She had almost forgot about him. There was concern on his voice, she noted.

“Don’t come near here!” – she repeated firmly.

“Don’t worry, lady. I am not staying long.” – he replied, entering the water. He sat, leaning on the rock right in the middle of the natural pool, facing the entrance. The water went until his chest -“Please… do you… do you mind listening to a coward’s wailing?” – he asked. His voice as week as before.
And he sounded so sad…

“What’s the matter?” – Jieun asked. Her tail silently waving under the crystal clear water. She wanted to listen to what he had to say. He had sounded so sad…

“The water…” – he answered. Jieun could say he was holding his tears by the sound of his voice.

“Are you afraid of the water?” – she asked. The burn on her shoulder hurt more and more.

“I am to become a sailor soon…” – he replied, not answering Jieun’s question – “…and I could carry this rock on my back if you asked me to, and the strongest of men would never be able to hurt me…” – she heard him say – “… but I cannot swim. I’ve heard about monsters in the water, that might smell fear from a great distance. These monsters might devour my flesh and trap my soul… and I will not be able to fight them… because I cannot swim.”
His voice broke, Jieun noticed.

“It… it is very brave from you to go to the sea, even if you cannot swim.” – she spoke truthfully.

“Rather than brave, I am indeed a coward.” – Yongguk spoke with a bitter smile – “but thank you for the kind words”

Jieun opened to speak, but the man spoke first.
“Why are you here?” – he asked – “The water might be a better companion than me, but I also listen well.”

“Why do you care?” – she snapped. The pain made her rude.

“I just thought you would not like to keep it inside of your heart.” – she heard him speak apologetically. – “We give what we take… and you had given me the opportunity of going to the sea with a lighter heart.”

His response had been a surprise.
He had sounded sad, worried… but thankful and sincere.

“Let’s just say… that I had been stupid enough to believe men could see further then what their eyes saw…” – she answered, going deeper in the water, until it covered her shoulders.

“There are many kinds of the same species…” – she heard him say – “There are many kinds of fishes, and there are many different kinds of men. I hope you find someone that is worthy of your heart, along with the beauty in it” – he spoke, playiJieunng the water. 

“Beauty…” – the mermaid repeated – “…Thank you for the kind words. I shall not forget it…” – she smiled.

“I’ll leave you in peace, lady” – Jieun heard the man say, and she also heard it when he stood. The water way below his waist.

“And how do they call you, brave sailor?” – Jieun ask. Her voice as melodic as ever.

“Yongguk.” – he replied before leaving. His voice as sad as ever.

“Yongguk… my kind, brave sailor…” – Jieun smiled to herself. Letting out a sigh, leaning on the rock – “I shall not forget it.”