Off To The USA

Please, always be mine?

 

"Is that all?" Woohyun asked as he tightly shut the minivan's trunk. He waited for a reply but no one spoke. He looked back and spotted Hyomi tightly hugging her mom, her father patting her back. She then pulled back and gave her dad a big ol' bear hug. "Umma, appa, I don't wanna leave yet." Hyomi spoke weakly, shedding a tear that ran down her cheek.

"You have to, sweetie. We don't wanna keep you from your dreams." Her mother took Hyomi by the shoulders and gave her an assuring smile.
"Don't forget what I told you about your social life. Okay?" Mr.Park shook his finger at his daughter, "No social life at all!"
Hyomi couldn't help but laugh, "Appa, trust me."
"Okay, okay. Just remember to call us."
"Mmm." She nodded. Ready to leave for college and study in the States, Hyomi turned her back and took a double-take at the childhood home she was leaving behind. Just after taking a couple steps away, she heard someone from behind call her name. "Hyomi-noona!" She heard her not-so-little-anymore 13 year old brother. Hyomi turned back around and was greeted with a farewell hug from her brother who was crying more than she was. Making sure she wasn't going to be late for her flight, Hyomi rushed into the car and gave a final goodbye to what she calls home.

Driving her to the airport was none other than Nam Woohyun; her best friend of a soon-to-be twelve years. "Woohyun-ssi." Hyomi quietly spoke as they drove pass the small stores, restaraunts and cafes of the mediocre town. "Yes?" He smiled while driving. 
"I-I'm.." Hyomi hesitantly spoke, "Uh, thanks for driving me and lending your minivan."
"No problem. If you didn't ask, I would've gone beserk. How can I just watch my best friend leave me behind for five years."
She managed to chuckle. "Well, I'm gonna miss you." She nodded and looked out the window as they entered the freeway.
"I'm gonna miss you too." His smile faded after speaking. The ride to the airport was silent. It was just an awkward atmosphere for the both of them. Car rides weren't usually like this for the best friends.

Just as the worst couldn't get any worse, the car's speed slowed as they approached traffic. Worriedly, Hyomi sighed. "I hope I'm not late for my flight."
Woohyun tried to keep her relaxed and reminded her that the flight wasn't until four hours, "Don't get so excited. I don't want you to leave just yet." 
She chuckled. "Why? I thought you always hated me."
"Well, that is true but I'll be lonely."
"I think you'll be okay Woohyun."
"That's what you say. You don't know how I'll be."
"I'm going to another country where no one knows who I am. Here, you have former and new classmates you could turn too."
"Just remember to keep in contact with me, okay?"
"Promise." Hyomi raised her right arm and swore.

In one hours time, they arrived in the airport. "Where do you want me to drop you off? The main terminal?" He asked.
"Drop me off? Directly from the car?"
"Mhhm." Woohyun nodded, looking for an open space to stop the car.
"No, I don't want to. Can you go park and drop me off inside the airport?" Hyomi pouted at Woohyun.
"Eh? Wae?!"
"Oh, nevermind then! I see. You don't wanna say bye to your best friend do you?" Hyomi exasperated and attempted to get out of the car.
"Ah-ah-ah. Okay, okay. I'll go park." Woohyun stuttered and proceeded to steer towards the parking lot. 

After finding a parking space, Hyomi stepped out of the car and went to the trunk to bring her luggage out. Beating her to the back, Woohyun was already unloading her stuff. Shocked, she asked him "How did you get here so fast?"
"Magic."
"I always knew you were a witch." Hyomi laughed.
"Yah! I ran. I am not a witch." Woohyun shook his head and started walking towards the terminal.

Arriving at the checkpoint, Woohyun couldn't go any further. "I think I have to go now." He looked to the floor.
"Yeah, I think you're right."
"I think I'll just get ready for the security check here." Hyomi brought out her ticket confimation with ease but then trouble arose. "Woohyun-ah." She said frantically looking for her passport.
"Mmm?" He looked at her.
"I can't find my passport."
"Huh." Woohyun blankly stared.
"I can't find my passport."
"Yah! You dimwit! You must've left it at home. I knew this would've happened. We drove all the way here for noth-"
"Found it!" She smiled from ear to ear while holding it up.
Woohyun rubbed his chest and exhaled. "I nearly got a heart attack." 
"Tsk, don't be so worried. I'm the one traveling here." Hyomi playfully smacked Woohyun with her passport. "I guess we should really leave now."

Woohyun didn't wanna face it but, it was true. His best friend is going off to college in a different country without him. His eyes scanned her face; the face he was so used to seeing but as of this case won't be seeing around for awhile. She fluttered her eyelids wanting to start sobbing again but, she kept calm. "I'll see you in five years Woohyun." She hesitantly hugged him tightly, burying her face in his chest for awhile. She waited for him to hug back but nothing happened. Hyomi was devastated. She knew her best friend didn't have the same feelings she had for him. She felt stupid for thinking that way and for actually crushing on him for the past five years. Thinking about it, Hyomi just cried even more onto Woohyun's shirt. She was expecting him to push her away after dampening his shirt. Her arms were still wrapped around him and her face still on his chest. Just as she was about to let go, Woohyun got the courage to hug her back. He placed his chin on her head and a tear ran down his cheek. He let go and so did she. 

"Hyomi." Woohyun held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes, " I have to tell you something." 
She felt something negative coming her way. She expected him to tell her that he figured out she's had a crush on him and that she should stop since he didn't feel the same way. Instead, he said elsewise. In response, Hyomi just nodded. "Okay, go on."
Woohyun went on and he held her hands. "Ever since, we were children at the age of nine, we've been best friends. We still are now." He smiled, "But ever since we entered our first year of high school, you were no longer just a best friend. You became my best friend who I had a crush on." He held her hands tigher and gazed at her face with her hair flowing with the wind. " I didn't know when to tell you until today. Today, you're going off to college in the States so you can fulfill your dreams. I felt lucky that I already had you but, what if someone stole you away from me? I couldn't let that happen. That time we stayed out all night, had fun and got lost on the streets of Seoul didn't help letting go of you just yet. So I decided to take control of my life. I hesitated but here I am, telling you how I feel."

Hyomi stared at him still and unemotional. He was expecting her too run off and leave him standing there. But Hyomi began to speak, "Woohyun-ssi. You are my best friend. We go so far back, I still remember arguing with you over that silly bowl of mandu kook soo; the day we met. Ever since then, I looked to you as a brother." Woohyun felt a little ill-hearted when he heard her look to him as a brother. "But," She continued, "When I saw you arrive at my 16th birthday party looking like a gentleman and all dressed up, I felt different. You looked handsome. You looked like you could be my lover. But, sisters can't think of their brothers like that. I felt different about you. The moments we cherished from there on, were different. I liked you more than just as a friend nor, a best friend. Things hadn't changed since then. Nothing changed my mind. Nam Woohyun, I like you."

Being caught up in the moment, the two hadn't noticed that a crowd of people had gathered around the couple. They all clapped at the two confessing before their eyes. Hyomi and Woohyun looked around in amazement at everyone watching. Slowly, the crowd disbursed after witnessing such a show. 
"Park Hyomi, I really like you. Don't forget me." Woohyun whispered in her ear.
"Nam Woohyun, I most certainly like you too. I won't forget you but remember me too." She tiptoed to whisper in his ear. Woohyun laughed at her action. 
Hyomi checked her watch and saw her flight was in two hours, she thought it was time to go and check in. "Woohyun-ssi," She started. "I think I should get going now." 
"Oh, yeah. So, umm..I guess I won't be able to see you for a while."
"I guess you won't. I totally understand if you go and meet other people to be with. I mean, in all time's manner--" Hyomi tried further explaining but was stopped by a sweet kiss on the lips by Woohyun. 
"I'll wait for you. Don't worry as long as you wait for me too. Promise?"
"Promise." She still stayed smiling from his sudden kiss.
"If you find someone else, better than me, just remember to tell your best friend." He chuckled lightly.
"Same goes for you Mr. Nam. I just doubt I'll find anyone better than you." She replied back. "Well, bye." She gave him a warm hug. He kissed her forehead meanwhile. 
He grabbed her hand before she spun on her heels and turned away. "Remember to talk to me. I don't wanna be lonely." He reminded her again. She just laughed and continued forward. The two separated their ways. Just as she walked away, Woohyun mumbled to himself "Please, always be mine." 

She made her flight just in time and arrived in the States safely. She started her first year off well, achieving a high GPA. She had already gotten a strong hold on speaking English and adjusted well. At the same time, she kept the promise she and Woohyun made. Meanwhile in Korea, Woohyun informed her family of what had happened at the airport. Though, Woohyun didn't inform Hyomi of this. Hyomi and Woohyun made several emails to each other since she left. The two talked but it wasn't the same as being together.

Around the Christmas season, she missed her family more than ever. She missed the feeling of having her loved ones around her. Of course she had friends there, but they weren't like the friends she had in Korea. The sad part was that she had no cash and so did her family. She didn't have the right income to fly over to Korea. Hyomi lived in co-ed dormitories and luckily had a female roomate named Cassie. "Hyo, let's go out for a drive." Cassie casually asked Hyomi.
"Sure." She agreed. They drove off to a hotel just a few streets away from the dormitories. It was a short drive. When they arrived at the hotel, Hyomi was confused as to why they were there. "Cassie, why are we here?"
"I have to go get something together. Or should I say someone." They entered the hotel and directly went up to the 7th floor. "Hyomi, could you go knock on that room over there." Cassie pointed at the room that read 703.
Suspiciously trusting Cassie, Hyomi did so. When the door open, Hyomi was pulled in by someone so familiar. By surprise it was no other than Woohyun. He picked her up and spun her around. When Cassie spotted that Hyomi was pulled in, she laughed. She'd set up this meeting since ever since the Christmas season started, Hyomi had been missing her family more. Cassie reached out to the Park family and Woohyun. She flew them out to the U.S. instead of flying Hyomi there so that they could have an even more special Christmas. She wanted them to spend the most wonderful time of the year together. Cassie's family was wealthy and she thought this was the least she could do. Cassie kept this secret of generosity to herself and of course between the Parks along with Woohyun.
"Woohyun!" Hyomi smiled, "How did you get here?" 
"Does it matter?" He hugged her tightly. From the corner of the room were the Parks. 
"Yahh, just go ahead and kiss her." Her father spoke out, causing them to be noticed in the background.
"Appa! Umma!" She hugged her parents happily.
"Yah, noona. How about me?" 
"Ah, you rascal." She pulled her brother into a big bear hug. The Christmas season went well for Hyomi. Sadly, they had to return home right after New Years.

Months had pass. Winter went and Spring came, and left in an instant. Her first year was almost over. She was in class, the last course before summer vacation finally began. 11:30 AM came and it was officially her summer vacation. Hyomi rejoiced and quickly got out of class. Over the months, Hyomi had gotten a job and earned money to fly her back to Korea. Her flight left in two days time. So she packed until the day arrived. Hyomi boarded her plane and flew back to Korea.

Arriving back in her homeland after a year was riveting for her to experience. She inhaled the fresh beauty of what we call South Korea. Just then, a car pulled up in front of her. It was Woohyun! "Yah, get in you dimwit." Woohyun got out of the car and quickly stuffed Hyomi's luggage into the car. They drove off. "You don't know how much I've missed you. It's not the same without you." He smiled brightly while driving. Rubbing off of his happy aura, she grinned. "I miss you too Nam Woohyun. You don't even know." They then arrived back at the Park's household and had a small gathering with the immediate family, aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas, and even Woohyun's parents. As the gathering went on else where, Hyomi and Woohyun crept up into the house and sat in the living room couch. 
"So, how have you been?" He asked looking at Hyomi and brushed her hair away from her face.
"In all honesty, I've been doing fine. How about you?"
"The same." Woohyun took her hand, "Park Hyomi," He started, "I really like you and you know that." Hyomi felt like he was about to target something negative but instead he continued " I want you to please, always be mine."
"I will, don't worry. I've stuck with you eleven years. I've crushed and kept hope with you for five. I don't think I'll be parting from you anytime soon. I won't"
"You'll be going back to the States after this vacation though. I'm just going to miss you even more. Please, always be with me. With all your heart."
"I will. Don't worry." Sadly, her vacation back in Korea ended faster than what she felt like. The new school year started back at the States again.

When Hyomi first walked into her dorm after coming back from the airport, she noticed something different. Cassie had moved out. She left a note for Hyomi telling her that she went off to a different school but that she still wanted to keep in contact. As she was reading the note, a wrinkly old lady much shorter than Hyomi was, knocked on the door that was already swung open. Hyomi shot her head towards that direction. "Miss Park?" The elderly woman, also known as the dormitory director spoke.
"Yes?"
"You have a new roomate." The woman left after mentioning her new roomate.
"But, I don't have their name.." She spoke right when the woman spun on her heels and scurried along.
"Hello?" A far too familiar voice rang. Hyomi turned her head and found Woohyun.
"Roomate?" She asked, big-eyed. He nodded as response. "How?" Hyomi, who was still shocked, asked.
Woohyun beamed a smile, "I was offered a great scholarship that catered to my needs, just like how you have your scholorship." He scratched his head, "How could I turn down sucha prestigious oppurtunity? Especially the part where I get to be with the girl I love."
"Well why didn't you tell me or should I say, 'the girl you love'?!"
"I was going to but, I then figured in telling you when I got here. I maybe even hoped to see you in the halls. But, I guess being your roomate is an even more suprising way for you and especially me." He replied.
"I guess they were right when they mentioned a co-ed dorm having positivities." She chuckled.
"So.." Woohyun awkwardly started to unpack and settle in.
"You'll always be mine." She randomly stated.
He added and mentioned, "You are always mine. I guess the promise we made was really a promise, huh?"
"A promise even kept by fate."