Just a Kiss

Pinky Promise

Chapter two: Just a kiss

 

It was about a quarter to five when we got back to the apartment. The room was stuffy because the windows were shut and the appliances Donghyun oppa left radiated heat. My first impression of him was that he is self-centered jerk. He was so full of himself that he couldn't stop talking; but it changed when he took me to Highstreet and brought me new clothes.

Including the onces in my trunk, I now have: six shirts, three blouses, two long-sleeves, a turtleneck, three pairs of pants, four shorts, three skirts, a couple of jeggings, a sweatshirt, two different colored jackets, a coat, a hoodie, two cute halter tops, a tank top, seven different sets of nighties, three new dresses, three sets of Academy uniform, two sneakers, a pair of heels, new slippers and truck load of socks.

His fearless get-up earlier did not do justice on his definition of women's fashion. I find his choices simple, yet very chic. He was very generous to buy me all these things; and I'm thankful to the ends of the Earth.

It was weird that he never seem to run out of money though. He mentioned that out rent was around 350,000 won on top of the utilities and that he also had tuition to think of. It bothered me that our parents weren't paying for that. When I questioned it, all he said was: 'Well, aren't they paying for yours?', with a smug.

I was surprised when he led my to my room. It was designed in the relaxing colors of baby blue, green and pale yellow. It oddly looked like a room for a baby. I didn't mind though. It was way better than the room I had to share with back at the orphange.

I immediately dropped my bags and attacked the bed. By far, it was the softest thing my skin ever got to touch! My body literally sank into the matress and I hugged and kissed the pillows. They were in purple, my favorite color. Then I noticed the dresser and vanity had shades of purple on it too. I sat up and looked for the other things that had that color.

My jaw dropped when I saw a purple laptop at my study table. I jumped out of bed and poked it, because I never really touched any of these things before... Let alone owning one!

Donghyun was laughed when he saw me touch the device. He went up to me and opened the drawer. "This one here is from Umma and Appa." I leaned in to look and saw an unopened Samsung s3 mini. My hands automatically wrapped around my brother as I jumped up and down in excitement. 

I thanked him for the quadrillionth time. I was spazzing all over the blessings I just received. Everything was unexpected! I guess that's what made it sweeter? After a few minutes of hyperventilating over a phone, Oppa excused himself to take a shower. 

I gave him a quick peck on his cheek. It was my first time kissing a person other than family. No, wait. That's wrong. He is my family now. So I guess it still wouldn't count as my first kiss.

He shut the door behind him and let me absorb what was happening. Unfortunately, my eyes zoomed on the mess I've made on the floor. So I got up and took my new clothes out of the paper bags then I took my suitcase and took my old clothes out as well. I started arranging them while removing the price tags off. When I was done, I tucked them all neatly inside the dresser. 

I wondered if the other kids that left the orphanage experienced the same thing. New clothes, gadgets, their own room... How could they even cope up with all of this? It feels like a dream! So  much I'm afraid of waking up the next day and finding myself back in Seoul.

I thought about my brother too. What family did he get into? Did he get everything he wanted? Or did he get into one of those Cinderella situations? I've read stories of orphaned children being mistreated in their foster homes. I don't think Donghyun is like that... And I certainly hope Jungshin oppa didn't have to run to any of that either.

"All done." It now started to look like a girl"s room. My room. It was nice to think of. It was a new life indeed.

"ACHOO!" I sneeze. Holy crap. It looks like my body is adjusting slowly to my new life. I better ask Oppa for some medicine later, just in case my body breaks down.

I sit at the edge of the bed and unboxed the phone. I read the initial instructions and took the charger off the bubblewrap and plugged it in the nearest wall socket I can find. It lit up. I read the manual again. So now it looks like I have to wait another hour.

I looked at the wall clock. Six thirty. It was pretty early if you think about it, but my body is clamouring for some rest. I went outside and headed to the bath. It looks like Oppa is done with his shower so I went in to wash up.

Faceshop. It read. Wow, so Oppa is using this? I squeezed a pea-sized amount into my hand and lathered it before massaging it to my face. I waited for a minute for the nutrients to sink in before washing it off. I never felt so fresh. They weren't kidding about instant results! I felt like a new man... woman, or... girl or... Wow. Am I sleepy!

When I returned to my room, Donghyun was tapping my phone.

"Just saving my number." He smiled and pulled me near, clicking open the camera app. "Closer! Closer!" He egged.

He and I made big smiles and pratically the camera, one photo led to another. We looked over them and laughed then took some more pictures together. We just met today, but I felt like I've known him forever; in a platonic way, of course.

He ruffled my hair and hugged me. "We have school tomorrow, okay?" I nodded and wished each other a good night.

He left the room again, I immediately went to my dresser and changed to my nightwear. By this time, my body begged to rest. So I planned to give myself that.

I'm glad I was given a brand new start at life like this. He seems nice even if he lacked a lot. I know the phrase 'beggars can't be choosy.' but I hardly felt like a beggar with him. Although I longed to see my new parents, I was content with having Oppa with me. I kept thinking about what his first impression of me was.

Because I, despite wearing a smile all the time, felt broken. My brother was the only thing that kept me going, and when he left me as well... I guess you can say I kind of lost the will to life. No dreams. No hope. Nothing.

I remember the time my brother told me that I was a star that shined brightly. It was ironic because I felt beautiful each time he squared my shoulders like that. Beautiful... But not because I twinkled beside others. 

It was because I was a falling star.

I sighed. Maybe I was over thinking the things my brother said and did. I yawned, or maybe I just badly needed sleep.

When I went to turn off the lights, I saw paper sticking out of my discarded clothes. So I pulled it out, remembering that it was the letter ahjussinim gave me. I ripped the case open and read it:

 

Dear friend,

Hello! I hope you don't feel weird that I sent this out to you. Its just that, I feel you won't mind hearing the things I have to say. There's a lot in this world that I don't understand, but I don't expect you to answer them for me. Actually, I don't really think you can respond to any of my letters because I didn't include a return address. I just want you to listen to what I have to say, not that I'll know that you'll read it. I mean, this isn't Facebook, y'know? I'm glad it doesn't work that way too, so I'm pretty confident that you won't be able to block me.

I'm sorry. Was that disturbing? I'm really sorry. It just that, I idolize you so much because I think you're the kind that doesn't mind reading stuff from a kid. I don't know if you've already figured it all out, but I hope sharing my thoughts with you will allow both of us to grow up into the adults we envisioned ourselves to be.

It looks like I have to end my story here because its nearly bed time. I hope you'll sleep well tonight too. I definitely will, knowing that you read my message.

Good night,
Prince

 

I sat at the edge of my bed and wondered what the heck I just read. Was this some sort of fanmail? If it is, then I'll conclude that celebrities had the most enduring jobs in the world. I momentarily went mental after reading this! Ahjussi could not have wrote this. I bet someone at the orphange is just playing tricks on me.! Nonetheless, it was nice of him to tell me that he idolizes me. Whoever 'he' is.

Then I wondered, 'Prince'... Wangja? That's so cheesy. My eyes scanned the note again. The handwriting itself was very femine; and when I looked closer at the paper, it had details on the side. It looks like the stationary faded. How old is this letter, I wonder? I can't really confirm that it was really a boy who wrote this. What if Prince was just a pen name?

I felt my brain buffer and looked at the clock: eight o' clock. Time sure flies! My eyes dropped on me for a second, and I knew I wasn't going to last much longer. So I tossed the letter at my desk and resumed turning the lights off.

I let my body fall on my bed and clasped my hand together to pray. I told God I was thankful for everything that happened, especially today; and how wonderful he is because he timed my life just right. I told him that I'll continue to be a good girl; and that if I haven't used up all my karma points, I wished to see my real brother again. Besides, Jeonju isn't that big of a city, right? I was sure I'd bump into him! I had to!

'Sweet dreams, Namjoo.' I heard a voice say. I felt like someone embrace me and held me close to his heart.

Someone has caught a falling star and he's taking me up to the sky again. I whispered back, 'Thank you.'