The Soup Incident

Love In Baekwa

The next morning, the five girls woke up early. Well, four of them. It took quite a while to wake Yuri up but they managed it after shaking her roughly and dousing her with freezing water. Although they felt a little bit guilty, it was quite amusing to see Yuri’s expression seeing herself soaked entirely with icy water.

                After cleaning their dorm, they went together to the canteen to have some breakfast before having their first lesson.  On the way, they met with the other SNSD members: Taeyeon, Yoona, Sooyoung and Tiffany.

                “Hey Tae, who’s your roommate?” asked Sunny to Taeyeon as they carry their food, garlic bread and a bowl of hot chicken soup, to their table where the rest of the girls were sitting there, waiting for the two slow girls. “Oh, it’s a girl called Marini. She’s really a pleasant person. You should get to know her some time,” answered Taeyeon.

                “Yeah, maybe I should. Anyway –“CRASH! Hot, blistering soup splashed on Sunny’s clothes and her body. “Ouch!” she cried while rubbing her arms and legs that were in stinging from the hot soup.  “Ouch!” yelled someone. Sunny saw a tall, dark-haired boy who was also covered in soup in front of her. He was trying to throw away the soup from his body, but it was still painfully hot and his hands were also red.

                “Sunny!” the girls shouted loudly, who were running to her. Fortunately, it was still early and there weren’t many people in the canteen, but everyone still stare at them. Sunny looked at the boy again. Then, she saw his brilliant, brown eyes. Wait, she thought suddenly, I’ve seen those eyes before.

                All of a sudden, the boy looked up and caught her watching him. “What?” he asked, a little aggressively. “Um – nothing.” Sunny responded. Her cheeks were scarlet to match with the rest of her body, she was so embarrassed of being caught with her eyes fixed at him, minus the fact that everyone was still gaping at them. She was so embarrassed, she didn’t realized Taeyeon and the girls were at her side, until Seohyun clapped her fingers in front of her face. “Sunny! Let’s go to the bathroom. We’ll clean you up, don’t worry.” Sooyoung said. Sunny looked at the worried faces of her friends, then she spotted their table, where her friends plates were placed.

                “No. Just – just go and eat. I’ll be alright, promise. It won’t be too long, I think.” Sunny said finally. Poor her friends, she thought, they’re starving and they still want to help me. Sunny was so thankful of her friends, that it was a wonder her eyes didn’t tear up.

                After that, the boy said quietly, “Come. Let me show you where the bathroom is.” Eh? “No, there’s no need for that. I –“Sunny started to say but was cut across by the boy again, “I insist. It’s half my fault you’re covered in soup.” “I – I… Oh, okay then,” Sunny thought in her head, this boy is getting on my nerves. Can’t you listen to me, at all?

                “Let’s go then.” She said to boy again. Then, he went out of the canteen and Sunny followed after hesitating for a fraction of a second, while being watched closely by her friends and also most of the canteen.

As Sunny was walking with the boy next to her, she felt quite uncomfortable. “Listen,” she said suddenly to the boy, “I need to go to the – my dorm, for a moment. Could – could you just go to the bathroom first? I’ll meet you there.” The boy shrugged and nodded. Sunny walked quickly to her dorm, but after walking for a few seconds, she looked back and asked the boy who was walking slowly to the opposite way, “What’s your name anyway?” “Name’s Donghae.” He answered. She nodded.

Donghae shouted after her who was running, “Yours?” She replied, “Sunny!” and then was completely gone. Donghae thought about her for a while. Sunny… Sunny… I think I’ve heard that before. Then, the memory of the day when his foot was swollen tumbled into his mind. And it happened because… WHAT?!