The Beginning of a Story

Love In Baekwa

“It’s so sad to leave high school.”

“Sad? What?! It’s great! We’re going to college. Cheer up, Sunny,” said Taeyeon. Sunny let out a sigh, but then she smiled. “You know, I think you’re right,” she put her arm around Taeyeon, her smile still intact, “It’s going to be a great year this year.”

Taeyeon laughed and said, “Well, come on. Let’s go find the girls. I think they’re already here. They told us to meet in the courtyard, I think.”

*****

                “Wow! It’s so beautiful,” said Sunny softly. She was standing in front of Baekwa Korea Kent College, apparently entranced at the loveliness of the college. It was extremely pretty, with Japanese blossom trees in the courtyard, green grass and beautiful stone pavement at the entrance. There were many students hanging out the well-kept courtyard. Multicolored flowers grew here and there. The effect was stunning. It looked like being in a many-colored painting.

                A group of girls were chatting together at a spot in the courtyard. Then, “Look! I think that’s Sunny and Taeyeon!” cried Yuri.

                “Sunny!”

                “Taeyeon!”

The seven girls ran to embrace Sunny and Taeyeon, who were talking together just now. “Sooyoung! Seohyun! Yuri! Yoona! Jessica! Tiffany! Hyoyeon!  I missed you so much during the summer!” cried Sunny while Taeyeon was being hugged by Yuri tightly; Taeyeon looked near suffocating. “Us too!” said the girls. “Hey Sunny, what did you do during the summer?” asked Yuri. Sunny smiled happily and replied, “Didn’t I tell you before summer break I was going to Japan with Taeyeon?” Everyone laughed loudly as Yuri clapped her forehead.

“It’s 7.35 o’clock! We need to go register ourselves right now, or we won’t be college students this year,” said Seohyun. She turned and looked at the girls who were watching her and asked, “Does anyone have an idea where the hall might be?” The eight girls shrugged, indicating they didn’t have a clue where the hall was.

Suddenly Sunny voiced, “I think we should ask a few people. Let’s go.” and she walked towards a gaggle of girls who were having a conversation together. Taeyeon and the others followed. “Excuse me,” Sunny said to a blue-eyed, blonde girl, “But do you know where the hall is? We’re new students here.” The pretty girl replied, “Oh! New students? Come, I’ll show the way. But we got to run, unfortunately.” And with that she ran like lightning towards the entrance of the college. Sunny and the others ran after her.

The girl looked back and said to Sunny who was right behind her. “Oh, and by the way, I’m Marichan.”

*****

                Sunny stared across her dorm. She was given a nice, big dorm with Jessica, Seohyun, Yuri and Hyoyeon. It was nicely decorated; the walls were red and white, with blackish grey carpet covering the floor and five white, comfy beds for each of them.

                Besides that, there were also several potted small trees with pink buds inside their dorm. They were told during their tour around their campus to take care of the tiny plants for they will be used to make their own special end-of-the-year party rosettes, Baekwa College’s tradition. Sunny recognized it at once; they were the famous Japanese roses, the same flowers that she and Taeyeon often saw when they when to Japan. Sunny smiled when she remembered the memories of her with her best friend flooded into her mind.

                After finished recalling of her vacation to the Land of The Setting Sun, Sunny began to think about her first day here at Baekwa College. Well, she thought, they registered all right and on time; it went quite smoothly, in fact. But the thing is Sunny couldn’t erase the reminiscence of her colliding with some boy. Sunny smiled absent-mindedly when she remembered the incident…

                Marichan had just told her name to Sunny. Suddenly, with a crash and a few thuds of books fallen to the ground from the person’s arms, Sunny was on the ground with her arm in pain. “Ouch!” she exclaimed. Then, she saw a dark-haired boy in front of her who was nursing his foot. “I’m sorry! Really sorry!” she said apologetically to the boy. He had dark brown hair, big and brown eyes and an extremely handsome face.

 “Sunny, we got to go!” yelled Taeyeon and with that she pulled Sunny up and ran like light, with Sunny’s hand still held firmly in hers. Sunny looked back and saw the handsome boy gathering up his books.

He looked up. His and her eyes met. But the connection broke as Taeyeon dragged Sunny through the registration hall’s doors.

“Argh, Taeyeon!” yelled Sunny while she punched her pillow. “Oi! Sunny, I’m talking to you.” Shouted Jessica loudly and then she threw a pillow to her. “What?!” cried Sunny who had been unpleasantly been brought back to earth by her friend, Jessica Jung. The other three girls, Seohyun, Yuri and Hyoyeon, were enjoyably sleeping soundly in their beds like logs, unaware of the war between Sunny and Jessica.

“I’m asking you whether you think we’re going to have a good year here, at Baekwa.  Seohyun, Yuri, Hyoyeon and I were debating whether we would or not. They’re worried sick,” she nodded at the sleeping girls.

                Sunny, who had been trying to toss the pillow back at Jessica, put it down and pondered for a while. “Of course we won’t. You know us. We’re SNSD. We’re never meant to be broken,” she said finally. Jessica whispered anxiously, “Many things could happen.”

                Sunny walked quietly as to not wake Seohyun and Hyoyeon to Jessica’s tidy bed. Yuri, she didn’t care as Yuri was Sleeping Beauty. She is an expert to not wake up when a ruckus was going on. Sunny spoke to the worried girl, “I know that. But,” she gripped hard Jessica’s hand, “But everything comes for a reason.” Jessica smiled widely. Her expression changed; as though a grey cloud disappeared from her blue sky and everything was shining and bright. Jessica nodded and lay on her bed.

                After a few moments, Sunny went to her bed slowly and lay on it too, thinking hard. Yes, Sunny thought, everything comes for a reason. She smiled to herself and went almost immediately to sleep.