White Rose

White Rose

 

                It was Sunday morning, June 24th, eight o’clock.  Tora was relaxing in his favorite café while reading his favorite philosophy book.  A cup of warm black coffee was served on his table, along with a croissant toast that just came out from the oven.  He closed his book and put it on the table.  His muscular pale hand lifted the cup and his pointed nose inhaled the fresh aroma of the black coffee.  This was what people should call drinking some coffee, enjoying the aroma and the fresh flavor slowly, not just drinking it whole in a rush.  People nowadays were too chained with that routine.  Fortunately, Tora wasn’t one of them.  His profession as a psychologist didn’t force him to stick to those routines.

                It was also Sunday morning, June 24th, just like that time.  In this same chair, same table, five years ago.  Finally, Tora had successfully exchanged words with the white rose who stole his heart.  Her name was Sakamoto Hanako, but his friends preferred to call her Hana.  She had no idea where that nickname came from and she didn’t care, that nickname suits her, anyway.  She was a waitress in this café.  The first time Tora’s eyes caught sight of that slender figure, she was in the book store near the bus stop.  Hana always stood there when Tora bought his morning newspaper and a few magazines.  Just like her, after she bought the newspaper, Hana would walk behind Tora and went straight to the café where she works.

                Tora would never forget that if it wasn’t for Hana, he would never be a regular costumer of this café.  Tora would never forget that exactly 5 years ago, he always stopped by this café.  Every morning, he would sit in this chair with a cup of warm black coffee and croissant toast on the table.  Just so the angel would notice his existence.  For the past two weeks, he had practically become a stalker while gathering all his courage just so he could simply say ‘Hi’ to his dearest Hana.  Unexpectedly, the angel flew down himself towards him.

                “A cup of black coffee and one croissant Mr. . . .” Hanako said

                “It’s Shinji.  My name is Amano Shinji.  But my friends call me Tora.” Tora answered while closing his book nervously

                “So how should I call your sir?  Is it Tora or Shinji?” Hanako asked

                “Whatever suits your tongue, Hana.” Tora said

                “Too bad, my name is Hanako.  Hana is just my nickname here in the café.  You should also stalk me in my house too.” Hanako smiled

                “I- I’m sorry.” Tora lowered his head out of embarrassment

                “Do you like philosophy sir?” Hanako asked while smiling

                “Y-yeah . . . “ Tora nodded

                “You must be very wise and poetic.  Are you’re a novelist?”

                “Uh . . . no.” Tora answered still embarrassed

                “Eh? You seem to have lots of free time to stalk me here. So it seems unlikely if you are some employee who works at some company. So, what do you do?” the thin waitress asked in curiosity

                “I’m a psychologist.” Tora answered

                “Amazing … you’re very handsome and you have a cool job. You must have heaps of beautiful girls chasing after you.” Hanako said with huge amazement

                “N-no, not really.” Tora said shyly

               

                Tora smiled in amusement while remembering those sweet, yet amusing memories in this café.  Hana was the complete opposite of him.  As a psychologist, he was bound to be a person with strong calmness and awareness.  On the other hand, Hana was really cheerful and dorky.  Even a psychologist could lose his calm and confidence against his dearest love.  The tall gentleman sipped the rest of his coffee before he stood up; he walked out from the café while munching on his croissant.  The fresh morning air welcomed him outside.  He smiled and fastened his steps.  However, he stopped midway when his eyes caught a sight of a small park.  Tora stared at the green cozy park before he shifted his gaze at somewhere across the park.  He saw a French restaurant that is still closed, but the waiters and the staffs were already busy with the morning routine, tidying up the tables and chairs, and cleaning the windows.

                It was another Sunday morning, June 24th. Tora remembered, he had his first date with Hana at this park, to be exact, his one and only date.  That day, the café was closed and Tora had no choice but to cancel his urge to invite Hana to a dinner.  He remembered he was really in a bad mood that time and so he decided to jog to kill time.  Unexpectedly, in front of this park, they ran into each other.  Tora remembered Hana just came back from shopping.  His extremely bad mood turned upside down into a complete good mood.  Seeing Hana cheerfully showing off two boxes of bento she got free from a coupon, he chuckled amusedly.  They both ended up sitting on a bench under a shady tree.

                “Tora, do you know what today is?” Hana asked

                “June 24th.” Tora answered

                “Beep beep!  You answered wrong.” Hana chuckled

                “Eh?” Tora said in confusion

                “Today is my birthday.” Hana answered softly while blushing

                “O-oh. . . Happy B-“ Tora stopped midway when Hana started talking

                “Did you know that there is a French restaurant across the park?” Hana said still blushing “I’ve always wanted to go there, but I’m too shy to go there alone.”

                “Why?”

                “Most of the guests there are lovers.” Hana answered shyly

                Tora smiled again while re-playing all those beautiful memories in his head. He glanced at the table with two chairs near the window of the French restaurant. On that table, they celebrate Hana’s birthday for the first time, on that table, Tora confessed his feeling to Hana, whispered his love, and kissed those small sakura lips for the first time. He remembered, Hana, who was usually talkative, fell silent and lowered her blushing face.  Everything felt so fast somehow. Still on the same night, they ended up in Tora’s flat. Hugging, holding, and kissing, they made love for the first time.

                Tora closed his eyes, inhaling deeply and then smiled.  He continued his short trip and arrived at a flower shop that just opened.  He could see the florist who was an old woman with a little girl who seemed to be her grandchild helping her placing the flowers.  Tora smiled and greeted them; they smiled as well and greeted him back.

                “One bouquet of white roses please, make sure they’re fresh.” Tora requested

                “Ah, for Hana-chan right? Wait for a moment.” the old florist said giggling

                “Yes, today is her birthday.” Tora smiled

                “Eh?  I’ve sure have gotten old.  Today is the 24th of June right?  Here, have them for free.” The old florist smiled while handing out the bouquet to Tora

                “B-but I have to pay for these.” Tora said

                “Oh there’s no need to do that.” The florist chuckled “Now, don’t make Hana-chan wait! Also, please tell her Happy Birthday for me.”

                Tora finally gave up, if he kept forcing to pay the flowers, she would be upset. He bowed to the old florist while thanked her for the flowers.  The tall gentleman smiled amusedly, that old florist was always stubborn; she always gave him free flowers every time Hana had birthdays.  He stared at the flower bouquet in his arm.  As always, that grandma gave him too much flowers.  The white roses looked gorgeous, the white roses smelt so fresh like it would never fade even if you inhaled them thousands time.  Hana must love the roses.  She always loved them.

                “Do you like flowers Tora?”  Hana asked

                “Hmm . . . a little.” Tora answered

                “Liar, there’s not even a single flower here in your flat.” Hana laughed

                “There is.” Tora said

                “Where?  I don’t see it.” Hana said looking around

                “Here, right before my eyes, a beautiful white rose.” Tora said

                Tora’s trip ended as he arrived at his destination.  He smiled when he saw the monk and greeted each other before he passed the genkan.  Tora stepped along the second line of the cemetery.  He could see some families there visiting their long gone family members; probably the grandparents with their children.

                Tora stopped in front of an altar of a grave at the end of the line.  He knelt down, smiling when he saw his lover’s photo on the gravestone.  Bellow his lover’s name on the stone, there was a beautiful relic of a rose.  Tora placed the flower bouquet on the altar; he stared back at the photo, his fingers gently traced it.   A warm smile painted on his face, just like his lover’s warm smile that was captured eternally on the photo.

                                                                   The most beautiful flower on Earth.
                                         The most beautiful angel in Heaven
.

                “Happy Birthday my love.”