Raided

Me + U

Guns were fired one after the other. Polices scattered everywhere for cover, not daring to look back as they ducked behind crates and boxes. One of the criminal aimed and pulled the trigger of his gun, startling a police officer who hissed in pain as he clutched his shoulder. The damned bullet actually gets to hit him. He reloaded his gun and peered over the crate in search of the enemy, trying to aim properly while ignoring his injured shoulder. Pain strucked him again and he lowered his arm, in fear that he might accidentally shoot one of his comrades.

While leaning against his protection, he spotted one of the criminals trying to sneak away using one of the doorways. He ignored his discomfort and quickly got up to chase after the said person.

“Donghae!” His commander officer called out but was cut off when a bullet nearly grazed his ear. Donghae entered the doorway and spotted a silhouette disappearing around a corner. He flexed his shoulder in pursuit and followed down the same path. The sound of the criminal’s footsteps became his clue to following him. After endless twists and turns, corridors and staircases, Donghae arrived in an underground parking lot. He whisked his head in all directions searching for the person he chased but even the footsteps were gone.

It was pure silence.

Donghae walked slowly, holding his gun in his hand and looking around cautiously. He tried to focus at some other things other than the pain in his shoulder. God even his eyesight blurred every second or so. He shook his head. No, this wasn’t the time to feel dizzy. He abandoned his squad to chase after the runaway enemy, he has to succeed.

As luck would have it, he heard the familiar screech of the shoes belonging to the chased and turned around swiftly, just in time to block the baseball bat heading down on him by using his arm. He twisted the bat in a clockwise motion, disarming his enemy and pointed the gun towards the throat, the bat skidding a few feet away.

The opponent held up his hands, his blonde hair standing out. Donghae kept his eyes on him as he slowly moved backwards.

“You’re under arrest” Donghae said. Blondie didn’t say anything, his eyes fixated back on the police officer, “Anything you say will be used against you.”

With one hand holding the gun, Donghae used the other to take a pair of handcuffs hanging at his waist. That was his mistake.

The moment he glanced down for just a second, Blondie delivered a high kick at Donghae’s hand, causing him to let loose of the gun. He then did a backswing and hit Donghae directly at the face. The latter fell down in pain. It didn’t even help since his head was getting dizzier by the minute as he slammed into a nearby pillar.

Donghae groaned in pain as Blondie pick up the gun and pointed it towards it. He chuckled deviously, “Tch... You’re under arrest my …” His deep gruff voice resonated through the air, “You must be a newbie, officer.”

Donghae blinked. He was in fact a newbie though. But his thought didn’t last when Blondie delivered a kick at his ribs and another one at his injured shoulder. Donghae shouted out, feeling the shock throughout his whole body.

“Haven’t you watched those cliché police stories, officer? The leader of the chased always gets away.” Blondie then crouched beside Donghae, tilting his head as he watched him suffer with false sympathy, “Don’t try and change the story to be a hero.”

Donghae can only watch as the criminal pointed the gun to his stomach and pulled the trigger. The bullet sent a painful wave throughout him. Blood came seeping out and he desperately covered the wound with his hand in impossible hope that he could survive.

The second time, Blondie pointed the gun to his head and smirked. The thought of getting killed by his own weapon has never made Donghae feet so pathetic. He slowly closed his eyes, silently wondering if the gunshot would end his misery.

Blondie’s finger was still hovering on the trigger when a baseball bat came flying out of nowhere and hit his head. The gun flew out of his hand just a few feet away (Seriously, Donghae thought, this gun keeps slipping out of people’s hands) as he landed in pain.  A pair of boots appeared in front of Donghae and he looked up, not preparing for what he was about to see.

A girl with short brown hair in the same uniform he was wearing. Donghae managed a frown. There were girls in his section? He has never seen them before, and he would certainly remember if he had seen someone like her. He strained his neck to catch a glimpse of her name on her police blouse  

Lee Sunny.

“Sorry to disappoint your fun, but I prefer plot twists” The girl said coolly, lightly swinging her right leg to and fro, “The leader always gets caught anyway. This is the end of your movie.”

“I like your references,” Blondie scoffed and stood up, staggering a bit, “Too bad you’re wearing that deceitful outfit. You’re going down.”

“I’d like to see you try, Mr. Bang Yongguk.”

With the sudden mention of his name, Yongguk’s eye twitched and charged after Sunny who was already in her fighting stance, her two fists raised protectively in front of her. He swiped his fist in order to punch her and she easily dodged that by moving downwards and connecting her fist with his jaw. He staggered backwards again and the girl took the chance to deliver a double kick to his head, finishing off by another kick down his face and a swipe against his legs. Yongguk fell over in shock, his head hitting against the concrete ground as it was his turn to experience pain.

Sunny leaned forward over him, checking if he was still awake or not. He seemed to be out of commission as he wasn’t moving so she took out her pair of handcuffs. Reaching for his hands, Yongguk’s eyes snapped open and he grabbed her, twisting her arm behind and wrapped his arm around her neck, trying to suffocate her. Sunny squirmed about but she was no match for his strength. She could slowly feel faint.

“You think you’ll defeat us?” Yongguk managed a conversation, “This isn’t the end. There are more of us and you’ll never find them.”

Yongguk’s victory wasn’t long as a gunshot was heard and a bullet embedded itself inside his abdomen. His arms faltered and Sunny pushed him away, gasping for air. The leader of the enemy lied still, not moving an inch. A few feet away, Donghae’s arms shook, the gun in his hands. As if the pain had spread to his head, Donghae’s eyesight blurred as Sunny rushed towards him. Then he out.

 

 

 

The moment he opened his eyes, Donghae didn’t even need to figure out where he was. The beeping sound and the white curtains indicated that he was in a hospital while the bandages around his abdomen, head and shoulder indicated that he had been in some serious . He wondered if he felt worse than he looked so he decided to test it by moving his shoulder.

“Ow!” was all he could come up with. Hah, that hurt. But it felt a lot less painful than the first time. Groaning slightly, he slowly sat up and gazed outside his hospital window. It was already noon and cars were busy trying to reach their destinations. Some boys were playing basketball on a rooftop. It all seemed very serene.

Donghae bought his hand up to his bandaged head. He caressed the unfamiliar fabric, wondering where he had gotten the head injury from. The paramedics probably bonked his head against the pillars in the parking lot or something.

He blinked his eyes a few times.

What happened at the parking lot after he passed out? What happened to the girl? Lee Sunny. He was surprised he can even remember her name even after one acknowledgement. All he remembered was getting his kicked before she came and shooting Yongguk who was choking her afterwards. Then boom, he passed out like a sissy.

What a great first impression.

His train of thoughts were interrupted when the ward door opened. His commanding officer came in and he mentally gulped. Damn, he even remembered him calling out during the gunfire and also recalled his orders to not split up unless he says so. He might as well get killed during the raid.

“You’re looking good,” His new guest said. Donghae straightened his composure and fliched upon the subtle force, “T-Thank you… General Yunho.”

Yunho shook his head a little, “Well not good enough it seems. I’m surprised a newbie like you survived it.”

Donghae wasn’t sure what to say so he just sat there with his eyes slowly darting everywhere but his commanding officer. Yunho placed a plastic bag on the table next to his bag, “You must be hungry after not eating for like, two days. I bought you lunch.”

“Uh… Thank you, sir” Donghae awkwardly replied, but on the inside his heart was racing. Two days? He had been out for that long? His family must be worried sick!

“Oh don’t worry, your family are already informed about you getting knocked and all,” Yunho told him as if he was reading his mind then scrunched up his face a bit, gazing downwards “They didn’t really took it well though.”

Ya think? Donghae stared sceptically at him. Yunho beamed afterwards, spreading his arms in an expecting-a-hug kind of motion, “Well at least we have Lee Sunny to thank for saving you! If it wasn’t for her we would’ve been preparing for your funeral right now.”

There’s that name. Lee Sunny. Donghae gripped his bedsheets as he leaned startlingly towards Yunho, “That’s her! She saved me from getting shot in the head! Who is she and where is she now?!”

By then Yunho was leaning backwards with a confused and focused expression on his face. Donghae realised what he was doing and slowly went back to his position, “Um, sorry sir.”

Yunho sat properly again, adjusting to his seat. He crossed his legs, “Well to answer your question, Lee Sunny is a police officer under the Specialist Crime Department. This department is highly associated with our Organised Crime Department and we do a lot of combined operations at most.”

“What’s the Specialised Crime Department?” Donghae asked. Yunho snapped his fingers at him, “Good question. The Specialised Crime Department handles crimes in which becomes much more dangerous for us normal crime police to take care. They specialises in individual combat as well as knowing the tactics done by criminals. This comes in handy when organised crime becomes separated and makes it a little harder for us to work on.”

“Meaning to say…” Donghae tilted his head, “They’re kind of a higher department than us?”

“Yes.” Yunho nodded, then frowned, “And no. We handle a lot of local crimes. They handle both international and local crimes. But since the department is here in Korea, local cases are a majority and they need our department to take care of it first before they can intervene. Plus we take care of organised crimes. They have their hands at both organised and individuality.”

Donghae nodded his head slowly, the pieces combining in his head. He furrowed his eyebrows as if something annoying had flew past him, “Doesn’t that mean the Specialised Crime Department handles much more dangerous cases than us? How can Lee Sunny, a girl, handle that?”

Yunho looked at him from top to bottom, “What are you, ist? I don’t see her lying around in a hospital wounded and covered in bandages.”

Donghae’s mouth curved slightly downwards in a ‘Please don’t be mean to me’ kind of gesture. He thought of how a girl can survive being in the specialised unit with all those nasty criminals out there. He himself couldn’t even handle a gang leader.

“Are there anymore girls in her section?” He inquires at Yunho. The latter thought about it for a moment before shaking his head, “As far as I’m concerned, no, she’s the only one. A very skilful one at that.”

Donghae’s nodded slowly and Yunho gave a knowing smile at him, grinning ever so mischieviously, “What’s with the sudden curiosity? You hitting on her or something?”

“What? No I’m not” Donghae denied, although his cheeks felt a sudden warmth “I don’t even personally know her.”

Yunho chuckled as he stood up, stretching “Up to you, newbie. You’ll never know.”

He patted Donghae on the shoulder, “See you in the office. We’re gonna need that amazing memory of yours soon” before exiting the room, waving a hand. Donghae let out a breath he didn’t realise was being held in. Yeah, one of his abilities is that he was able to remember things well. More like a photographic memory even, but he needs something to trigger him into recalling a specific event. He glanced at the table, Yunho’s plastic bag sitting on it and staring back at him like, so are you going to eat or not?

He grabbed it and unveiled its contents, his tummy rumbling after not being fed for two days. Might as well.

 

 

 

 

“Hey, you’re back!”

Donghae had to hold his stance as his colleague thumped him on the back. He grinned, “Haha yeah, nice to see you too, Eunhyuk.”

“So um, people’s been talking about you being a hero lately,” Eunhyuk slung his arm around his friend’s shoulders and they both walked together, “If it wasn’t for you, we would’ve lost the gang leader.”

“Me?” Donghae stared at him inquisitively, “But all I did was getting my kicked.”

“Well yeah, that was kind of the best part,” Eunhyuk then received a jab in the ribs and he groaned, “Dude, I’m joking. Actually you chasing after Yongguk bought some time for the Crime Specialist.”

Donghae pondered on the fact. He didn’t feel like a hero. Heck, he felt ashamed having to be called a hero. Yongguk was now in prison, still heavily wounded. That criminal was lucky to be alive since the bullet had missed his heart by a few inches. If he was dead Donghae would face a lot of trouble since the police wanted to catch him alive. Eunhyuk nudged him, “So how was the specialist? Was he really that good as they say?”

“Quite,” Donghae shrugged, “It was a she though.”

Eunhyuk let out a strangled sound. He stared at Donghae and pushed his shoulder, “No way! You’re saying you got your saved by a girl?! Dude, you’re such a loser.”

“Look who’s talking, ,” Donghae retorted back and they had their own mini fight, trying to hold each other’s head in their arms and gently ramming themselves into the wall.

“Ahem.” A voice interrupted them. With his arms around Eunhyuk’s waist and trying to break free, Donghae looked up from Eunhyuk’s headlock. A girl stood before them, holding a cup of hot coffee. She had short brown hair and looked very famili- holy it’s her.

Donghae freed himself immediately (Why couldn’t he do that before?) and regained his composure, his sanity and his imaginary manliness. He stood speechless, his mouth opening a few times trying to say something but nothing came out. Eunhyuk snickered, “Dude you look like a goldfish.”

“Sorry to interrupt, “Sunny gave a sweet smile, “But I just need to pass through. Couldn’t do that with you guys bulldozing each other into both walls.”

“Yeah, sure, go ahead.” Eunhyuk courtsied, making way for her. Donghae didn’t say anything but just kept his eyes on her as she passed by. Sunny on the other hand just bowed politely, smiling knowingly at him before walking away. She looked like she recognised him, but maybe it was his imagination. Eunhyuk hit the back of his hand against his chest, “Dude, stop drooling.”

“I’m not drooling,” Donghae denied, “That’s the specialist from the other day.”

“Seriously?” Eunhyuk glanced back at the direction Sunny just went, “She’s hot!”

A frown graced itself upon Donghae’s face. His friend caught that act and understood (assumed) almost immediately. He gave a seductive grin and rub his shoulders knowingly against him. Donghae shrugged him off and Eunhyuk feigned shock, as if he had been cruelly rejected. The former ignored his friend’s playful antics and went towards the same direction the Crime Specialist went.

He has to talk to her.

 

 

 

 

Donghae found himself standing in front of the Crime Specialist Department Room. He wasn’t even sure about what he was doing but he felt the need to know her more. With newfound courage, he entered.

The department seemed different than his though. Across the room was a small built in gym with a not so big boxing ring on a platform (Wow, he wants that). There are tables arranged in the middle, paperwork scattered on each of them. A few officers were going back and forth, all of them were men. He didn’t see Sunny anywhere.

“May I help you?” Donghae turned around to see a tanned guy in the department’s uniform looking at him expectantly. He glanced at the nametag. Kim Jongin. He wasn’t even sure what he was going to say so he just blurted out that he wanted to meet Sunny.

“For what?” The guy sounded annoyed. Donghae blinked, “For…a crime case.”

“…Follow me.”

And so he did. Had to pass through a lot of people to do so. They all looked really buff and muscular and Donghae felt so timid with his tall and lanky build. These people must’ve lift pounds of weight to get that kind of body. He wondered if Sunny had to do the same too.

“Noona!” The guy called out once they reached this one particular room, “Someone’s here to see you!”

The said girl whipped her head from the laptop she was using. The room seemed like a mess, with boxes littered on the floor and stacks of paper on top of the huge printer. Sunny waved before getting up, making her way towards them. She had to cross over the papers as not to step on them and managed to arrive at her (not that far) destination. The guy held out his hand and she hopped over to him, brushing lightly against his build. They looked close, Donghae noted, he felt a bit jealous.

“Thanks, Jongin,” Sunny giggled, “You can go do your stuff now.”

“Okay,” Jongin patted her back and nodded at Donghae before going off. Sunny gestured her hand out, “Shall we talk over coffee?”

Donghae could only respond amazingly by making a weird sound which sounded like “Uhh…” which made Sunny smiled, tilting her head slightly and making her way to the break room. Donghae followed suit, trailing after her like a lost puppy.

On their way there they passed the gym in which a few people were working out. Donghae spotted Jongin there, stretching.

“Hey Sunny! You didn’t say anything about having a boyfriend!” One of them teased out. Sunny grabbed a plastic bottle standing on a nearby table and flung it at him, the bottle bouncing off harmlessly, “Oh hush it, Yesung. As if you have any improvements on your non-existent relationship.”

The guys laughed at him and Yesung just brushed back his hair embarrassedly. Donghae spotted Jongin being the only one not smiling, instead he had a grim look on his face as he eyed Sunny. Then his eyes darted alarmingly at Donghae before turning around to another room.

Donghae didn’t have any clue on what was wrong with him. He figured the guy had attitude problems so he shrugged it off. The next thing he knew he was looking down at his coffee mug with Sunny sitting in front of him.

“So….is there any particular reason on why you request to meet me?” Sunny inquired, sipping her drink while looking up at him. Donghae’s head went blank. He didn’t actually have any valid reason to meet her. He just…felt like knowing her.

“You saved me the other day,” Whether she remembers him or not, Donghae chose to not beat around the bush and got straight to the point. Sunny pursed her lips, tapping her index finger against the table.

“Being a Crime Specialist, I saved a lot of people. Which one were you again?”

She saved a lot of people, Donghae thought. Pathetically he lost a bit of that special feeling.

“I was the police officer that nearly got killed during the B.A.P gang raid. By their leader, Yongguk…?” He raised his eyebrows, hoping to ring a bell. Sunny blinked her eyes and formed into an ‘O’, “Oh it’s you! You would’ve gotten shot if I hadn’t threw the baseball bat at the guy, right? Wow sorry, couldn’t recognised you without the blood and all.”

“Um, that’s okay,” Donghae replied and sipped his coffee. It tasted bitter.

“But hey, I’m really glad you made it” Sunny’s serene smile graced her lips, “I wouldn’t forgive myself if I couldn’t make it to save you. Luckily you bought me some time.”

Donghae’s coffee suddenly got a tad bit sweeter, “I still have to thank you though. If it weren’t for you I could’ve been dead by now.”

“No biggie! We all have to help one another right?” Sunny beamed. Donghae smiled at her and nodded. Well this was nice. He felt so comfortable in her presence and she’s acting as if they’ve been friends for a long time. They continued talking about the gang case, answering each other’s questions and sharing what they had discovered during the raid.

 After half an hour or so, the coffee mugs were empty and Donghae had to leave. He didn’t want to though. He watched as Sunny picked up the mugs and took them to the sink.

“You can go now. I’m going to wash these first,” She told him. Instead, Donghae remained standing there. He wanted to ask her something but why won’t his legs move dammit. To ask or not to ask? That was the indecisive question playing around in his mind.

What is wrong with you Donghae?

The moment Sunny turned around was the moment Donghae’s legs decided to play a trick on him and moved. He stepped forward alarmingly, surprising himself and the girl before him. Because of the sudden movement, his legs must’ve thought, hey! Let’s fall!

And so he slipped forward. His body crashed against Sunny and his hands instinctively grabbed and held onto the sink for support. Sunny was backed against the sink as Donghae’s momentum had pushed her back, with his arms on both her sides and her hands bracing against Donghae’s chest.

Donghae could smell the scent of roses as his face brushed against her silky mop of hair. It smelled very sweet and he couldn’t help but stay in their ever so awkward position just to inhale more of the heavenly smell.

“Um…”  Sunny tapped her palm at Donghae’s shoulder, trying to push him off, “Donghae, my back hurts...”

The said guy snapped out of his shameless ogling and stepped back. Sunny was blushing as red as a beetroot as she brushed back her hair, not meeting his eyes. Donghae coughed and looked around, brushing the back of his head with his hand. He looked at her, “Hey, I’m really sorry about that. My legs…I didn’t…”

Wow great job Donghae, you’re actually blaming your legs. Where the hell is your common sense?

“It’s okay. At least you didn’t harm me or anything,” Sunny managed a positive vibe, “You looked like you wanted to ask me something though. What is it?”

Donghae stared at her, “Whoa, how’d you guess?”

Sunny shrugged, “I’m not a crime specialist for nothing. So come on, spill it.”

“Ah…” Donghae shyly brushed his shoe against the floor, “Do you…um, do you want to have lunch sometime?”

Sunny pursed her lips, the back of her hand rubbing against her back where the edge of the sink had pushed against. Donghae felt guilty. She probably won’t agree. Maybe she’ll respond with a flying kick she did from the other day, sending him out the window.                                                    

“Well uh if you don’t want to, it’s okay. I’ll just –“

“I’ll go.”

Donghae glanced at her, his hands fiddling inside his pockets. He wasn’t sure if he heard her correctly. Did she mean go as in she wants to leave right now or go as in she accepted his invite?

“Tomorrow at 12 then. Down at the Mouse Rabbit Café,” Sunny reached out for his arm and moved his sleeve down his forearm. She took out a pen and scribbled a phone number on his skin. Her phone number, Donghae mentally cheered at the thought. She recapped the pen, “Are you okay with that? Because tomorrow is my day off so…”

“Y-yeah! At 12. I’ll text you when I arrive,” Donghae felt as if he was too overjoyed in front of her but who cares, he scored a date (lunch actually) with her. Sunny laughed, “Okay I’ll get going. See you tomorrow then.”

“Okay,” Donghae watched as Sunny waved at him before exiting the break room. Once she was out of sight, he didn’t know why but he did a punch in the air, whispering a rather loud “Yes!” before regaining his composure, looking around if anyone had seen his embarrassing act. He coughed a bit before leaving the room, a huge smile spreading on his face.

Somehow he could still feel the tingly feeling in where Sunny’s hand had touched his arm. Her hands weren’t really that soft nor was it that stiff either, it was rather like a calloused soft version of a guy. She must be a diligent officer, heading for crimes here and there. Donghae noticed she was quite lithe as well. When she bent backwards during the fall, he hadn’t realised he was being observant. He gently patted his cheeks in embarrassment. Oh god, don’t be a , Donghae, that is so unmanly of you.

 

 

 

 

Donghae didn’t blame Sunny on being late. Instead, he was too early. It was still 11:30, only half an hour left untill she arrives. After picking a suitable seat beside the window, he entertained himself by rearranging the salt, sugar and pepper on the table. Setting the salt in the middle, placing the three of the bottles at the end of the table, and even went as far as to making swishing noises as he portrayed one bottle as a runaway car and the other two as police cars. The waitress stared at him until he realised what he was doing, smiling apologetically and pretending to gaze out the window (he was actually avoiding the other customers’ weird looks at him).

“Hey!” The familiar voice made Donghae turn his head, seeing Sunny waving at him. He was honestly at lost for words as he had never seen her wear anything other than the police uniform they always accustom themselves with. With a simple loose long-sleeved white blouse and denim shorts, Sunny portrayed a simple yet chic look. A braided lock of her brown hair hung by the side of her face and her bangs covering her forehead in a way Donghae couldn’t bring himself to say anything.

Sunny sat in front of him, exhaling and putting her bag down beside her, “Sorry for making you wait. I didn’t realise it was already 12 noon.” She tucked her hair behind her ear, “Time flies by fast right?”

“Oh no it wasn’t your fault,” Donghae glanced at his watch. 12:05 pm. Nowhere near lateness. “I was too excited so I kinda came a bit early.”

“Oh really?” Sunny raised her eyebrows, “You must be hungry after waiting so long. Let’s eat, I’m starving.”

“Of course,” Donghae reached for the menu on the table, “What would you like?”

Sunny skimmed through the pages, her tongue her lips. Donghae stared at them before realising what he was doing and buried his face inside the menu book. He peeked over the top of the booklet, watching as Sunny’s eyes brightened at the pictures of food and drinks. So cute.

When the waitress came, Donghae got himself an orange juice with carbonara spaghetti. Meanwhile Sunny got herself a thick vanilla milkshake, fish and chips, mac and cheese with a side dish of garlic bread. Donghae whistled, “You’re that hungry?”

“I just eat a lot actually,” Sunny closed her menu, “Plus I only do this on off days. Other days I snack on light food due to work.”

“Even with all those food you don’t seem to gain weight huh,” Donghae pointed out. Sunny gasped, “Seriously? Look at this big tummy, I think I’ll gain a lot of weight.”

The former glanced at her so called big tummy and shook his head lightly, “Nah.”

Sunny smiled, crinkling the skin around her eyes into eyesmiles. She adjusted her seat and rested her elbows on the table, looking around. Donghae could only watch her in serene silence. He could not believe this was the same girl who had kicked a gang leader’s and saved his life. It was all because of her that he was still alive and breathing. Behind them the door of the café jingled open and a tall young man came in, with a hat over his face and a skateboard in one hand. Something about him intrigues Donghae as he eyed the young man, who went to the counter and placed an order. He looks familiar, the police officer thought. Before he could piece back his memory the waitress came by with their order, blocking his view of the young man.

Sunny squealed at the arrival of their food, picking up her fork and not being able to decide which one she wanted to eat first. Donghae chuckled, pushing the mac and cheese towards her, “Let’s begin with this.”

He sipped his drink, feeling the orange juice refreshing his throat, ‘Ah, this is good.”

“It is right?” Sunny said. She then picked up some of the mac and cheese onto her spoon and directed it to Donghae, slightly opened, “Say ah~”

“What?” Donghae’s ears turned red. Sunny jabbed the spoon towards him, “Come on, this is seriously good!”

Donghae hesitated before going in, devouring the food and munching it with his hand shyly covering his mouth. She didn’t seem to mind sharing her food or cutleries with people. Moreover, wasn’t that an indirect kiss? Donghae felt like a silly fangirl.

“Jongin and I always come by here to eat. You can say I’m a regular customer here,” Sunny stabbed at a broccoli, pushing it to the end of her plate. Donghae decided to not beat around the bush and asked, “So Jongin…Is he your boyfriend or something?”

Sunny nearly choked on her lunch, startling Donghae who hurriedly grabbed her drink and shoving it at her. Her hand moved to and fro as she drank it and exhaled once she was no longer in any kind of danger.

“Boyfriend? Seriously?” She laughed, showing her pearly white teeth, “No Jongin is far from being my boyfriend. He’s my brother!”

“What?” Donghae seemed flabbergasted, “But his surname is Kim, and you’re a Lee. How can you even be related?”

“It’s a long story really,” Sunny begin her explanation, “After I was born, my mom left my dad because he was a rough house. She feared for me. After two years, she met with Jongin’s dad who was a widower and they fell in love and yeah, got married.”

Donghae could sense a hint of sadness in her tone which she masked well, “Jongin and I are just a few years apart and we got really close. When I was 14, Jongin’s dad passed away and mom died a few months later due to a broken heart.”

“I uh…I’m sorry to hear that,” Donghae didn’t feel hungry anymore. He felt guilty on having to trigger Sunny into telling her family’s past. The said girl chuckled, “Don’t be. I’ve gotten over it already. Don’t be surprised though if Jongin’s behaving like an overprotective boyfriend.”

Donghae smiled wryly, remembering Jongin’s behaviour the day before, “Don’t worry, I won’t.”

All of a sudden a loud noise erupted and both of them turned to look behind at Sunny’s side. The guy from earlier had collided with the waitress, causing her to drop her tray and him to fall down due to the chair behind his one leg.

“I’m so sorry!” The waitress apologised profusely, bowing over and over again as she picked up her fallen item. The guy waved his hand at her, signalling not to bother as he picked himself up. His hat fell off, showing his white dyed hair, with blue tipped bangs. His eyes gazed alarmingly at the waitress for a second before bowing slightly. He picked up his skateboard and headed for the exit. Donghae’s heart skipped a beat. No way.

“What’s wrong?” Sunny asked through her garlic bread stuffed mouth. Donghae stood up and peered out the window, watching the guy stopping in front of the café and was looking around, placing the skateboard on the ground to ride it.

“That guy shouldn’t be here,” Donghae hissed. Sunny looked confused before he furthered his explanation, “That was one of the members of the B.A.P gang! I remember him being the one who shot my shoulder during the raid.”

“That’s impossible!” Sunny exclaimed, “I thought they were all caught!”

“I don’t know,” Donghae grabbed his jacket, “He must be one of the higher ranking members. I’m going to go find out.”

We’re going to go find out.” Sunnyinterrupted, slinging her bag over her shoulder, “I was a part of the case anyway.”

“He’s part of a gang, Sunny. I can’t let you- okay never mind,” Donghae cancelled his mindset when Sunny gave him a sceptical look. He was reminded of the time he was the damsel in distress and Sunny was the knight in shining armour. He can almost hear Eunhyuk laughing at him.

After leaving the money on their table, both of them rushed outside, seeing the guy leisurely skateboarding down the block before turning at the corner. Sunny tapped Donghae and they both did a low-profile chase, trying not to be so obvious on doing it. They hurried past pedestrians while keeping an eye on the skateboarder.

After numerous twists and turns, they found the suspect going down an alley. Sunny scoffed, “Alleys. How cliché.”

“Just like the movies,” Donghae agreed He saw her looking down at her phone a few times and wondered what she was doing with it. Right now, texting isn’t really at its right time. Together, they descended down the dark hollow. At the end of the alley was bright and they saw the suspect’s silhouette standing there. He didn’t seem to realise he was being followed as he scooped up his skateboard and walked coolly ahead.

They pursued him until they arrived at a garage shop. It seemed abandoned somehow, and the surroundings were deserted. Donghae assumed they were near the town’s outskirts. The skateboarder entered the shop and disappeared among the old unfixed cars.

“We should alert the others about this,” Sunny suggested. Donghae shook his head, “I think we shouldn’t yet. We need to find out what’s he doing in there. We need evidences.”

“Are you sure? It could be dangerous,” Sunny peered from behind an old car they were hiding behind. She huffed, “But yeah, it could be a false alarm so I guess we do need evidences.”

Donghae grinned, “So this is like our first mission together huh?”

“Don’t get too excited,” Sunny stood up, a smile playing on her lips, “I’m going to leave you behind if you’re slow, newbie.”

“Everyone keep calling me that,” Donghae groaned as Sunny started ahead of him, “It’s already been three months!”

The garage was packed with old cars and stacked up spare tyres. The cars had their hoods up and at the side of the room were some sofas, scratched and dirty, with the blue colour fading. Donghae scouted the whole place, “Strange. I can’t find anyone here.”

“We did see him come in here, right?” Sunny inquired. Donghae inspected the whole place until he came across a door. There was a sign ‘Authorities Only’ slapped on the door. The door was slightly ajar, much to his favour. He signalled Sunny, gesturing her to come with him.

They both peered in slowly. The door revealed a staircase descending down and a really huge basement which stretched apart like a football field and the ceiling’s height equivalent to a three storey building. Donghae widened his eyes. He never thought a garage could hide a room as big as this, but it’s basically out of the town’s area so it was faintly possible.

There were countless crates and boxes stacked on top each other, making it a suitable place to play hide and seek. Once they entered, the door behind them closed tight. Sunny whipped her head around and tried on the doorknob. She released it, looking quite frustrated, “It’s locked.”

“There’s always another exit,” Donghae assured her. He descended the stairs, scouting the surroundings for any suspicious individuals. Sunny followed suit, the first crate once they reached the ground. They walked ahead, passing lots more crates with ‘FRAGILE’ stamped onto each of them. They had to look up at all of the suspicious looking cubes as they were shorter than how it was arranged. Sunny frowned, putting her fingers under the edge of one of the crates’ top and lifted them up.

“Oh my god.” Stacks of rifles placed neatly beside each other greeted the horrified girl. Donghae heard her gasp and stood beside her, eyes widening in horror as he eyed each of the illegal items, “No this is- they had more?!”

“Remember that time during the raid?” Sunny gripped Donghae’s sleeve, “I recall the leader saying something about there being more of their trade. Could this possibly be their main post?”

“I-I think so,” The fact that one of the biggest cases Donghae thought had been solve were still ongoing made it hard for him to think straight, “During the raid, we caught their henchmen and only four of their higher ranking members. I heard two more were still on the loose.”

“We need reinforcements,” Sunny got her phone out. A sudden noise was heard and she pulled Donghae between two of the bigger vertical crates, their bodies just inches away from each other. Donghae’s ears turned red due to the sudden closeness and the fact that Sunny was gripping his shirt. Get a grip, Donghae, you have other things to worry about.

“Where the hell are you?” A male’s voice was heard. Sunny peered outside, using Donghae’s body as a support. She glanced at him and mouthed, it’s the guy from before talking on the phone. The said guy continued, “Behind me? What - Oh.”

“Oh indeed,” A different voice was heard, “Be alert of your surroundings, Zelo, I could attack you with a chainsaw and you still wouldn’t realise.”

“You’re one to say, Daehyun hyung,” Zelo replied. He hefted his skateboard against his waist, “Things have been different really with only the two of us. There’s too much risk being the last resort. Has the customer contacted you yet?”

“Yeah, he said he’ll be here to pick these crates up in two days or so,” The one named Daehyun replied. They sauntered off out of sight, enabling the two hidden spies to come out of their hiding place. Sunny was practically bouncing on her heels, “This is huge. I think this is their last trading post. We busted their main one and also raided the other places of the illegal items.”

“So to say the remaining members of the gang are the skateboard guy and his buddy, right? That’s what he meant by last resort,” Donghae added, “They are the only ones left to manage this illegal trade.”

“Not to mention they have a customer,” Sunny said, “Let’s get out of here while we can. We need to alert the police.”

They took one last look around before heading back to where they came from. Donghae forged ahead, not realising any harm incoming when Sunny yelled, “Duck!”

A skateboard rocketed past them, the rider holding a crowbar which missed Donghae’s head due to Sunny tackling him down. They both lifted their heads up, watching as the attacker skidded to a stop and spun around to face them. It was the guy from before, his white and blue tipped hair standing out. His hat was gone, the accessory replacing it was a mask hanging from his chin. He smirked, “Sorry, this place is for authorities only.”

“,” Sunny breathed, “They’ve caught onto us.”

Donghae turned around and saw what Sunny meant. Daehyun was lazily standing behind them, apart by a few feet. He cracked his knuckles and gazed startlingly at them, “Looks like we have uninvited guests.”

“There’s no use trying to oppose us!” Sunny yelled out. Donghae felt amazed at her bravery. If he was cornered alone by criminals, he would’ve somehow peed his pants once he was discovered. He then whipped out his police badge, “We’re police officers from the Korean Police Force! Surrender now and no harm will come to you!”

Daehyun glanced at his badge with no sign of fear on his face and stared back at Donghae, shaking his head once, “Nah.”

With a quick push of his foot, Zelo zoomed towards the two of them, his crowbar hitting Donghae square in the guts. Donghae doubled over and expelled the last bit of choked air from his belly. He fell on his fours as Zelo took his place beside his partner in crime.

“Donghae!” Sunny supported him by slinging an arm on her shoulder. Donghae coughed before assuring with a wave of his hand that he was alright. Well he thought he was going to be alright. That hit was sure to leave a bruise behind.

“Sorry, but we can’t have the two of you running off,” Daehyun spoke, “It’s either be killed or….well, be killed.”

“I like making my own option, thanks,” Sunny sneered. She hefted Donghae up on his two feet, slowly backing. With a low voice, she whispered to Donghae so the two enemies couldn’t hear them, “We need to escape. If that doesn’t work, take them down. Make sure to capture them so they won’t get away again.”

“Two against two, huh,” Donghae whispered back, his throat suddenly feeling dry. He couldn’t see how he and Sunny could possibly defeat two experienced criminals. He suddenly wished he had listened to what Sunny had said before about calling reinforcements first. But now it was too late to do so. The moment either of them take out their phones they would certainly be knocked out first before having time to push any number.

Without realising it, Sunny linked her fingers between his gripping it hard. Under normal circumstances, Donghae would’ve fangirled or blush embarrassingly, but he knew she did that for reassurance. It might be their last fight. He squeezed her hands, “Be careful.”

Sunny gave a subtle nod. Daehyun and Zelo were slowly closing in on them. The only way was behind them, but with the crates around it was like running around lost in a maze. Donghae spotted smaller boxes stacked just beside them. On a silent count of three, Sunny yelled “Go!” and he quickly pushed the boxes to block their enemies’ way. Zelo who had an early start fell over as Daehyun feigned annoyance on his face. Donghae and Sunny ran aimlessly, thinking to get as far away from them as possible before searching for the way out.

“Over there!” Donghae spotted a vertical ladder hanging by the side of the wall, connecting with a hanging bridge up near the ceilings. There was an opening at the end of the bridge so that could be their ticket to the way out. He and Sunny rushed over, prompting the latter to climb up first before he did. Just as his hand grabbed hold of the first handle, Zelo appeared as if he was doing a parkour and slammed Donghae backwards with the bottom of his skateboard.

“Hey!” Sunny halted and was about to descend from the stairs when Donghae managed a “Go on!” and dodged a punch from his opponent. He grabbed a spanner lying on the ground and swung it towards Zelo, who blocked it with his crowbar and produced a clanging noise. Zelo charged at him with his weapon upheld, going to a foreswing and following it with a backswing. Donghae managed to dodge the first and met the second with his spanner. The weight of the tool was able to send the opponent’s bar back and back again, but not far enough to break free the staff from Zelo’s hands.

The third swing however, successfully connected with Zelo’s jaw and he staggered back, pain showing on his face. There was blood coming out from his mouth and Donghae mentally had time to give himself a pat on the back. He didn’t waste time and swung his spanner once again at his opponent’s abdomen. This time however, he wasn’t very lucky as Zelo was lithe and managed to do a backflip, kicking Donghae’s face as his legs were thrown upwards.

Donghae fell back into stacks of boxes, inhaling the dust that erupted from the impact. He felt his collar being pulled and Zelo’s face came into view, followed by another view of his opponent’s arm holding the crowbar high in the air.

, I’m going to die having a crowbar planted on my face, Donghae thought. But his subconscious mind acted fast and as the crowbar came swinging, Donghae grabbed hold of Zelo’s wrists – his hands in which one held his collar and another holding the crowbar. Donghae flicked the wrist, causing Zelo to drop the weapon. He then swipped the latter’s legs from below, causing Zelo to fall down and hit his head on the hard concrete ground. As the fallen enemy lifted his head up, Donghae greeted him with a swing of his spanner in the head.

“How pathetic,” Donghae managed, although he was feeling the same way for himself, “Is that how you pass out during a fight?” His head hurts due to Zelo’s hits and he staggered up, Zelo’s limp body on the ground. He then heard a faraway yelp which sounded exactly like-

“Sunny!” He called out, looking up. On the bridge, two figures can be seen doing intensive hand to hand combat. He recognised Sunny, who was breathing heavily and her opponent, Daehyun. Sunny did a double kick in the air, her hands on the railing as she advanced towards Daehyun, who easily dodged it. He then did a backthrust, connecting itself with Sunny’s gut as she fell backwards. Donghae could feel panic rising up in his chest as he rushed towards the ladder. They were further away from him but he had to make it. Daehyun seemed like he still has a lot more energy compared to Sunny. The bridge on the other hand didn’t seem to be able to hold on more pressure. It seemed old.

But for Sunny, she wasn’t useless just as yet. As Daehyun lunged at her, she reacted fast and swung her legs upwards, hitting Daehyun in the face. She’s as fast as a cat, Donghae admitted. Cat quick, writhing, Sunny finally got back on her feet and threw a few punches at the astonished Daehyun. Once Donghae got to the top, he turned around and saw that the two fighters were at the other end of the bridge. He stumbled, still far from them, but his eyesight didn’t fail him. From a distance, he saw Daehyun secretly taking out something light reflective and felt his fear rising. He begin running, “Sunny, look out!”

Too late. Daehyun stabbed the knife into Sunny’s thigh when he ducked under one of her punches and slashed the said item against her abdomen. Sunny skipped back, falling onto one knee and clutching the long cut on her stomach, “Not hurt…I’m not hurt...”

As Donghae drew close he could see the colour red spreading on her white blouse, “No!”

He lunged at Daehyun, bringing his elbow into Daehyun’s jaw and a knee jab at the waist. Unaware to them, the bridge trembled as the ropes slowly unravelled. Sunny gritted her teeth in pain, trying to stand up but failing to do so and she gripped the unstable railing harder. Daehyun was seriously good in hand to hand combat, Donghae noted, it wasn’t fair that he brought out the knife. In all the midst Daehyun successfully delivered a cut at Donghae’s jaw. In his anger, Donghae begin fighting back and didn’t realise that he was actually winning. With numerous punches and kicks, Daehyun was beginning to bleed from his injuries and a final backswing kick sent him over the edge of the bridge, crashing against the crates below. Then, the opponent remained still, not moving at last.

Donghae breathed heavily, exhaling and inhaling while looking down at the limp body below. Guess Sunny’s combat and his anger were too much for the criminal.

“Donghae…” Sunny’s strained voice reached his ears. He snapped out of his thoughts and rushed towards the injured girl, cradling her against his chest, “Hey, hey, don’t say anything okay? I’ll get you to the hospital.”

Sunny didn’t say anything. She seemed drained out of energy but it seemed as if she wanted to tell him something. Donghae slipped his arms under her legs and lifter her up, the bridge feeling wobbly. His shirt begin to drench in her blood and he was actually panicking, still not realising what was going to happen. With her head resting against his neck, Sunny weakly lifted her hand, “The….bridge…”

Donghae wanted to scream out loud at how stupid he was for not realising the bridge was about to break. He widened his eyes in horror as he watched the end of the rope unravel and the bridge disconnecting from its support. The only thing he could do was embrace Sunny as tight as he can against the rope of the bridge they were holding on. The sudden gush of wind hit his face as the bridge swung downwards towards the concrete wall. He managed to turn around, shielding Sunny before his body made aggressive contact and slammed against the walls. His head hurts like hell. His last view were Sunny’s dying face.

Please God, were his last thoughts, please save her.

 

 

 

 

People has their own kind of definition on miracles. Donghae’s definition was that still being alive even after a really bad beating. Once he regained his senses he never felt so happy to hear the beeping noise in the hospital. Back in the hospital again, huh. But his joy died as soon as he remembered Sunny’s injuries. He opened his eyes widely and shot up, only to bump his head against something.

“Ow!” He yelped, as his injured head had hit the thing. To be more specific, that thing was somebody’s arms, and that somebody wasn’t too happy to see him either.

Donghae blinked, “Jongin?”

“I was just taking my phone from the table,” Jongin told him, which explained why his arm was across the bed earlier. Donghae glanced at Jongin’s hand to see the inside of his elbow bandaged. He pointed at it hesitantly, “What’s wrong with your arm?”

“Well,” Jongin sat on the chair beside Donghae’s bed, “Sunny noona lost a lot of blood so I gave her some. Luckily we have the same blood type.”

What?!” Donghae pulled aside his covers with Jongin catching it alarmingly. He swoop his legs down and tried to stand up, failing as he stumbled down on the floor on his , groaning in pain. Jongin threw the covers back on the bed, rushing round the bed to get to him, “Idiot. You’re as weak as a newborn kitten!”

“Where is she?” Donghae grunted, grasping onto Jongin’s offered hand and making his way to the door despite the younger’s urges put him back in bed. Realising he can’t stop him, Jongin guided Donghae towards a wheelchair, forcing him to sit. He then pushed the chair out the room towards the lift. Donghae felt his heart pounding rapidly against his chest as they rode up a few levels. Was Sunny okay? Was she even still alive? Donghae felt a lump rising in his throat. Jongin didn’t show any signs of grief nor despair so she has to be okay…right? He wouldn’t forgive himself if she didn’t make it.

Once the lift opened, Donghae noticed they were at the Intensive Care Unit. He dreaded the feeling when Jongin pushed the wheelchair from inside the lift to the corridor, the wheels slightly bumping at the narrow gap of the enclosed box. They passed windows, each showing patients and their respective visitors. Some were crying, some were quiet while some were neutral. They didn’t seem to know whether to have hope or not.

Finally, they reached the end of the corridor. Jongin stopped beside the window and Donghae glanced inside. There, on the bed, laid Sunny. Her eyes were closed and a respiratory mask was placed over her nose and mouth. The rest of her body was covered, except for her arms which were placed by her sides. The arms had numerous cuts on them but those can heal as time pass.  She looked serene as the sunlight shone from the window inside her room. Donghae felt a tinge of relief to see her still alive, but none of it shows on her brother’s face.

“She hasn’t woken up since,” Jongin told him. Donghae took a minute before looking up to him, “How long has it been?”

“Three days,” Jongin brought his hands up to his face and turned around from Donghae, exhaling. At that moment Donghae knew that Jongin was much more scared than he was. To see the only family he has fighting for her life. He might looked placid but it must be a storm inside of him. Donghae felt immediate guilt, “Jongin, look. I’m-“

“Don’t apologise,” Jongin’s voice was muffled by his hands. He brought them down to rest on his hips, “It’s not like you forced her to fight. It was all up to her.”

“But how is she still alive? Not that I don’t her to be so but she was bleeding badly,” Donghae asked, “We didn’t even have time to call for reinforcements.”

“No, you didn’t.” Jongin said, “But Sunny noona always informs me when she’s doing a case. We keep track of each other.”

“Then…” Donghae’s voice faltered. That explains why Sunny frequently glanced at her phone before they entered the enemy’s place. He wasn’t sure what to say next. Jongin stuffed his hands in his pockets and stared at his sister inside the room, “You guys did well though. Thanks to you all the illegal trading done by the B.A.P gang has officially ended. The two remaining members are in custody now.”

He paused before smiling slightly, “You guys made hardcore damage on those two, I’d give you that”

Donghae stared into the room. He observed Sunny lying still. It was all over. Officially. He didn’t have to worry about the case anymore.

However, the only thing he was worried about was whether Sunny will wake up or remain in the lifeless state forever.

 

 

 

 

“Here’s more paperwork for you!” Eunhyuk grunted as he dropped a stack of files onto his friend’s desk. Donghae scrunched up his face at him, gesturing with his arms opened, what the hell?

Eunhyuk huffed profusely with his arm rested on the stack. Having to carry the heavy paperwork through three flights of stairs really drained his stamina. He posed his hand against his waist and smirked, “You think being out of admission for almost three weeks will save you from the trouble of these babies?”

“Give me a break,” Donghae groaned, “It’s not like I asked to stay in the hospital for that long.” He opened one of the files and skimmed through it. He took another few and did the same, rolling his eyes at his colleague, “Dude, these has already been done.”

“What…” Eunhyuk  grabbed a file, frowning at it, “. Wrong paperwork.”

“Awesome,” Donghae pushed them back towards his dumbstruck friend, “Go make yourself busy.”

Eunhyuk  feigned annoyance on his face and dragged himself along with the files away. Donghae leaned back in his chair, taking a slight break. Could use some coffee right now.

He got off his swivel chair and headed towards the break room. A mailboy passed by with his trolley full of letters, startling Donghae as he stopped and brushed against the wall to let him pass. He slightly winced in pain and brought up his bandaged arm, feeling the pain of the subtle friction. Although he has been discharged a few days ago, his body still had minor wounds.

Well, compared to him, Sunny suffered worst.

Donghae stopped walking when she came into his mind. It’s been three- no, four actually- weeks since he last saw her. He missed her smile. Being in the ICU had limited visitors into visiting. So far only Jongin had access to her room and he barely even sees Jongin at work, being in different departments and all.

Maybe he won’t ever see her again. That’s it. That’s the end of his non-existent love life. Honestly speaking, a one sided love life. He’ll never see her smile, never hear her laugh or her voice or-

“Hey.”

He froze his thoughts. Up ahead, descending from the staircase, was Sunny.

Donghae stood there gaping. She was dressed in her police uniform and there was a band aid on the side of her forehead. Her left arm was fully bandaged though, but otherwise she looked fine.

It’s not as if he couldn’t help himself, but Donghae found himself rushing towards her, enveloping her in his arms. He pressed his cheek against her hair as relief and joy washed over him, smelling in the rose scent of her silky mop. Sunny was taken aback by the sudden motion but she wrapped her arms around his waist anyway. Even she was happy to see him all well. They stood in each other’s arms for a few moments before Donghae realised what he was doing and blushed, releasing her and trying to act all natural. He coughed, “You’re…you’re back.”

Sunny rolled her eyes and punched him gently, “Well, of course I’m back! It takes more than just some stabs to finish me off, okay.”

“Thank god,” Donghae breathed, “I actually thought you were going to die. I swear Jongin had it in for me.”

“Eh, he actually did.” Sunny admitted, “But I convinced him to not kill you just yet.”

“Oh…haha, well, how are your other injuries?”

Sunny moved her hands to her abdomen, patting it, “Still wrapped up, but otherwise, healing.”

“Great,” Donghae smiled. A real, sincere, happy smile. Sunny pursed her lips, looking up at him, “Actually, I have a secret to tell you.”

She gestured him to come closer and Donghae did so, bending a bit so he could reach her eye level. He wondered what she was going to tell him until he felt a pair of hands cupping his cheeks and a pair of lips planting a quick peck on his own. He remained as still as a statue as Sunny pulled away, a playful grin on her face. He felt his ears turning red and stood straight up, turning away from her and walking away with a bashful look. Sunny chased after him, “Aww, look at you getting all shy!”

“I’m not shy.” Donghae squeaked but his actions were saying otherwise as he tried to hide his face from Sunny, turning left and right. He covered his face as Sunny tried to pry his hands away, giggling and enjoying herself. She latched her arm around Donghae, linking their fingers together, “Let’s go get some coffee.”

Donghae felt his heart rate steadying, trying to adjust himself to the new overwhelming feeling. He nodded and smiled, wrapping his arm around her shoulder as they headed towards the break room.

“Oh, do you want to have lunch at Mouse and Rabbit?” Sunny asked.

“Sure. But why Mouse and Rabbit again?”

“Because I didn’t even get to eat my fish and chips the other day.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[AUTHOR’S NOTE]

This oneshot was originally Luna and Lay, but I didn’t get much feedback on it on my other collection so I changed it to Donghae and Sunny. Plus, I was thinking of making a Sunny and Donghae oneshot collection soooo haha

Tell me what you think of this please, love ya peeps! xx