DC01: You Will Be A King

V C O L L E C T I O N - art portfolio and writing notebook

 

Disney Challenge 01: "One day when you're big and strong, you will be a king"

Characters: Yoochun and OCs (minor)

 

You Will Be a King

"One day when you're big and strong, you will be a king," Mother always said. 

Anything Mother says is always true. Mother knows best. So of course, I believed in what she said and worked hard so I could become a king. It was easier for me, since I was already the Crown Prince. I was already next in line for the throne anyways. 

I spend my days in the palace, taking a bunch of royal lessons that I couldn't care less about. But I took them for my mom. I could have easily sneaked out and hid, but I know Mother wanted me to be a king.

"Yoochun-ah," Mother called from the hallway. 

I quickly ran over to her, dropping all of my books in the process. "Yes, Mother?"

"Your father requests for you. He's in his room right now. Hurry, little one," she patted my back gently.

I followed her instructions and went to his room, even remembering to knock before entering. When let in, I walked inside quietly and stood by Father's bed, where he was resting. 

"Yoochun, I have some news to tell you," he spoke weakly. "I-" his voice faltered, "I won't be living for much longer."

My eyes widened as he said that. Father's going to die soon?

"I've been sick for the past month, and I believe my time will come soon. Do not worry, you are still young, so I told my brother that he will take over the throne instead. He will do well, I know he will."

"B-but Father, what about me?"

"Yoochun, you are only 12. You are too young to rule, so I asked your uncle-"

I ran out of the room before he could finish. I went to the training area and grabbed the first weapon I could find, which was a sword. I let out all of my anger on the wooden dummy on the room, hitting it and slashing it furiously with the sharp sword.

Why did Father give the throne to Uncle? Why? I'm 12. In a week, I'd be 13, and that's when you are considered a man, at least in these times you are. I finished all of my prince studies, and I'm the best in swordsmanship amongst the others. Why? Why didn't he let me be king? 

12 years later. 

I'm 24 now, and Uncle has ruled for the past 12 years. Father died two days after he told me the news. 

For the past 12 years, I've lived in the shadows, as Uncle took all of the power and made my cousin the Crown Prince. I hated them. Both of them. They deserve to die. 

My mother once told me, "One day when you're big and strong, you will be a king." 

I'm big and strong now. The time has finally come. 

Uncle, or now known as the King, was standing on the balcony, speaking to the people about the new taxes he would be putting in place. Beside him as the new Crown Prince, standing tall and proud. 

I pulled out my bow and arrow. I aimed. And then I let it fly.

 

 


 

 

This is my first edit that I've made for my Disney challenge. I used lyrics from Disney songs as the themes for this challenge. This first one is from the Lion King 2. I liked the drabble I wrote for it better than the edit though... .-. 

The list of lyrics I used for this challenge is posted in the foreword.

 

-03/29/13