The New Girl and Rules

Saranghae

 

~Joong yi POV~

I entered the teacher’s main office and bumped into one of the teachers leaving to their class. Swallowing my anger down, I politely bowed.

“Mianhae, I didn’t mean to run into you.”

“Gwanchana, it’s also my fault I didn’t see you coming Ms……auhhhh *quickly glances at name tag* yang… Joong Yi? I’ve never seen you before. Are you new??”

“Neh.” I answered finally giving the teacher direct contact. To my surprise she was uniquely dressed unlike other Korean teachers I’ve seen in my life. They seem so formal to me.

“I have to get to class soon, but I’ll bring you to the principal’s office and he can get you started.”

“ah-neh, Gamsahmnida.” I bowed again. She led me towards the principal’s office and stopped behind her as she knocked on the door and opened it just enough to squeeze her body in.

“Neh Ms. Park?” a low voice answered.

“Mr. Cho I have a new student with me, Ms. Yang Joong Yi.”

“Ms. Yang Joong Yi?......AH Neh send her in please.”

“Mr. Cho?” I thought “Could it be Cho……... ajeossi?”

The so called Ms. Park opened the door for me to see the principal. The back of his seat was faceing my way. I looked at Ms. Park smiling face.

“Good luck, I hope to see you in my homeroom and English literature class.” She beamed and gently pushed me inside and closed the door heading to her class. I stood there not knowing what to do. So I started my introduction.

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Yang Joong Yi. I’m the new transfer student from America; I hope to get along with the other students and the school.”……I waited…..no reply……I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth from stupidity.  “PABO PABO PABO PABO!!! What kind of introduction is that! Gahhh IM SO LAME!” I screamed in my head.

“It’s been awhile Ms. Joong  Yi. You finally returned” The deep old man that frightened me a bit. But I swear I recognize that voice somewhere. Finally he turned his chair around to face me from his file cabinet with my paper work. “And you didn’t even inform me, yah what am I supposed to tell my son now.”

“Ajeossi!” I beamed “Yah you scared me. Thanks for making me make a complete fool outta myself.” We both laughed as he started to get me registered for school. After 30 minutes we were finished with registration, ajeossi walked me to my homeroom class.

“How is your appa doing?”

“He’s doing great, he’s glad to move back to Korea” I smiled “oh by the way… how is…..”

“My son. Yahhh ever since you left he’s been nothing but trouble. I’m pretty sure he misses you a lot he still has all those pictures of you guys from little to when you left. You’ll get to see him sometime during school.”

“Neh, I hope I do to.” I smiled thinking to myself I really want to see him again. He was my childhood friend. Like a best friend to me, or like an older brother, protective and idiotic in some ways. We stopped in front of a classroom and ajeossi turned to me with a smile.

“Alright room 12-B, Yang Joong Yi here we are grade 12 class B enjoy your first day, if you have any problems you know where to find me.”

“Neh ajeossi”

“Tsk tsk tsk, its principal Cho now.” He laughed.

“Neh principal Cho, but I’m still going to call you ajeossi.”

“Alright Joong yi, hwaiting” he balled two fist in the air

“Hwaiting” I repeated and did the same. I took a deep breath and exhaled as he opened the door and I stopped through.

As I entered the class room quickly scanning the surprised faces so far I only knew about one person in this class, Donghae. Of course he was staring wide eye at me, he probably thought I would be in Jung il’s class or something but no, I got stuck in his class, oh joy after that conversation with him. The teacher Ms. Park the one I met earlier smiled at me and introduced me to everyone. I heard some snickering in the back class room somewhere and also someone whispering

“She’s the one with Donghae-oppa earlier.”

"Omo, she so ugly. She’s not even as pretty as I heard. Why was she with him?"

"Yah, just because you’re not on the top doesn’t mean she isn’t. I already heard she’s already reached the top 7."

"BWOH! Already! how? she’s new?!"

Not wanting to hear the rest I asked Ms. Park where my seat would be. And of course, it would be right behind Donghae’s seat by the window in the back. But hey at least I get the window and wouldn’t have to focus on his back on boring lessons sometimes. As I reached the back I noticed another empty desk next to mine, but it already had things in there. I missed the roll call in class so being me; I wondered who sat there and hopefully not a girl......

After taking a glance around noticing a few kids missing the door slid open and walked in Myung hee. My eyes almost popped out.

“Yah she’s in my class to! Gahhh! What a day!”

~Donghae POV~

“Yah she’s in my class to! Gahhh! What a day!”

I heard her whisper. Glancing over my shoulder I saw her head down on her desk. I smiled at her reaction.

“It’s only her first day and she’s having such a tough time already. I should be nicer to her.” I glanced at Myung-hee as she gave me a weird look nudging her head towards Joong yi taking her seat diagonal from mine. I shrugged my shoulders and turned my attention back to the window.

~Myung-Hee POV~

As I entered the classroom, greeting Ms. Park. All whispers stopped as soon as I entered. Of course they do all the time.

“Welcome back to class Myung hee, go take your seat.”

“Neh”


Walking towards my row I noticed that the once empty seat behind Donghae was now…..full. Donghae slightly turned around revealing the girl behind him.

“It’s that annoying brat! She’s in my class. Gosh what a loser.”

I reached my seat, Donghae turned to look at me with a small smile on his face. Probably laughing at the new girl because it seems like she’s freaking out. Nudging my head towards her, Donghae shrugged his shoulder and turned his attention back to the window as I sat down on my seat.

~Joong yi POV~

Soon after homeroom was over with, my first 2 hours slowly flew by. Even though I lived in America for 3 years I forgot how much studying I had to do over here. My head hurt so much I thought it was going to explode. I have gotten use to the American ways and just randomly talking in class. But back in Korea the lectures felt like they went on forever with the room dead silent. Slowly lunch finally came, forgetting where the lunch room was for this rich school I stayed in class waiting for this day to go by. I didn’t even see donghae leave. About to get up I have completely forgotten where the cafeteria is. I remember in elementary and the 1st year of middle school when omma would pack a lunch box for me with delicious food. The thought of omma made me not hungry anymore and made me miss her more than ever. Again lost in thought Jung il cleared and waved her hand in front of my face.

“Joong yi are you in there?”

“Jung il-ah when did you get here? How did you know what class I was in?” I asked

“Oh I bumped into oppa earlier when I was looking for you. He told me you were in here. So yeah.” She explained “Oh yeah before I forget guess what! Your famous with the guys already” She giggled “They all want to meet you. And your nick name is ‘The new girl’”

“The new girl? They know that I won’t be new for long…….right?” I asked. Jung il scratched her head

“Yeah……I hope so…….but…………do you know the rules around here yet?” She asked me “There very important here in this stupid school. Thank god I only have this year left. I hope to get  to a good college and not have to worry about looks or whatnots.”

“What are you talking about? What rules? The only ones I know of are the school rules and punishments.” I answered her worrying about the ‘other rules’ I have yet to learn.

“Well……..it’s just that….some teachers don’t know about it. It’s what the previous students started and it….I guess it’s just a handed down tradition…..errrr rule.” Jung il explained. But she still looked at her confused. “In this school…….we have ranks…………..not grading ranks but ummmmm I guess you could say pretty ranks. The best are the top 4 and then goes to the top 7 and that’s it. But everyone wants to be the number one and it’s very hard to get there. You’d have to be naturally born pretty person to be there. Being the first is like the queen in this school anything you say goes. That’s if the top rank guy agrees on it to. And………….”

“Wait…..wait……hold up…..so….. instead of attending a normal school I’ve been brought into a lunatic school were everyone thinks there pretty and races for it……so I’m guess that half these girls in this school have what….gotten plastic surgery?!” I exclaimed. “That’s so pathetic!”

“Yup…..pretty much. You think my house and oppa is hell, school is a lot worse. But I’ve heard you reached the top 7 I think you ranked 5th, so the girls who use to be ranked 5, 6, and 7 are….pretty much pissed at you. The Ranked guys and girls are pretty powerful and mean around here so I’d be careful if I were you. They can still always steal there spot back within the next 3 days.” Jung il patted my hand. I looked at her in disbelief and lifted one hand to touch her nose and moved it. She jumped back in surprise. “What are you doing?!” she yelled at me.

“Just checking if you got plastic surgery” I said apologetically raising both hands.

“NO! I’m rich and all but plastic surgery is for desperate people who want to look pretty. I’m still a natural.” Jung il proudly exclaimed.

“Wait…….so then……what rank are you?” I asked her.

“Who me…..oh well 3rd and Myung hee she ranked 4th and then it’s you in the 5th spot.”

“Oh…..then….who’s second?” I asked her.

“2nd…….oh its Eun ae! She’s really pretty!”

“ahhh I see.” I nodded and looked down to check the time. When suddenly Jung il jumped up in the air in shock.

“OMO! EUN AE!!!”