"My brave sailor"

Mermaids - Tales from the sea

 

 


Whoever had had the stupid idea of sailing at night was the most stupid person ever.

Bang Yongguk agreed.

“Aren’t there sea monsters?” – he had heard a sailor mate question the captain.

“We have Yonguk to kill them all!” – had been the reply.
“Bang Yongguk!” – the captain called.

Yongguk took a moment to remember his own name. He had never wanted to enter a ship! He had never wanted to be a sailor!

“Bang Yongguk!” – the captain called again. His voice echoing through the pitch dark night.
“Yes…sir…” – Yongguk finally replied.

“You are the first one to watch over us, boy.” – the Captain commanded – “All the others, sleep now. You will need your full strength!”

It was done as commanded.

For Yongguk, it had been a living nightmare.
He had become known for his unquestionable courage; he had fought against strong warriors with his bare hands, knocking them out in a very short time; there had never been a fight Yongguk had lost… but all of his fights and all of  his challenges had happened on land.

It was dark, it was cold, and he couldn’t forget the talk he had heard earlier.
“Mermaids… they’ll sing you dead! They’ll seduce you to the deepest in the sea”

The shaking of the ship made it all more…uncomfortable, shall we say.
It was then that Yongguk heard it.
A voice… A mermaid.
He closed his eyes, bewitched by that charming melody…


“Yongguk…” - it called.

He looked out of the ship, into the water... then he saw her. He saw the mermaid that had sung his name. She was beautiful… her hair was of a shade of red that suited her well… it was long, until near her waist, covering her s. Though it was dark, Yongguk could see her tail, waving under the water… it was beautiful. She was beautiful.
He heard her voice again. A sweet melody…

“Yongguk…” – she called.


“Yongguk…”


“Bang Yongguk, are you deaf?!”

The captain!
Yongguk opened his eyes, standing up.
“I’m awake, sir!”

“We’re on land now.” – the captain spoke. His voice was loud and clumsy – “Enjoy yourselves, you bunch of dorks! Get yourselves a woman and a drink! We’re spending the night here.”

Land…Finally.
Yongguk would sleep on a warm bed, and he would not dream of creepy sea creatures.
Or so he had thought.

Every other sailor had gotten a woman, or more, and a drink, or more. Yongguk had not drunk, nor eaten.
He couldn’t even close his eyes. So far from the dangerous sea, yet so close.
He shut his eyes with strengh… then he heard it again.

“Yongguk…”

“No…” – he covered his head with the pillow.

“Yongguk…”

“You must be crazy!” – he stood, exiting his room, then the bar.

Yongguk took a small boat, going to the water.
He had a sword. His courage was his shield, the moon was his torch, illuminating the night.

When the boat was far enough from the land, Yongguk shouted.
“What do you want?” – his voice was firm – “Show yourself, creature!”

“Yongguk…” – he heard again.

He looked around. There was only water…
His breath got stuck when something hit the boat, making it shake.

“Yongguk…” – he heard again. The sound was closer now…

He looked into the water.
There was something… with his face close to the water, Yongguk could see nothing but a blur.
His nose was inches away from the water, but it was still just a blur…

Then…he had only had time to blink.
A human being went out from the water, as fast as a lightning. By impulse, he had pulled his head back, but she had caught him.

A woman had come out from the water and touched his lips with hers.

Yongguk couldn’t breath. It had been a mermaid, he was sure.
“Show yourself, creature from hell!” – he shouted. A finger on his lips.

“Yongguk…” – he heard again.

“What do you want?” – he shouted again. Sword at hand.

The boat shook, and he fell sitting.

“Yongguk…” - he heard again, and turned around.

There she was. A woman. Her hands on the boat, holding her body still. The water was too cold… it was too deep… she couldn’t be human.

Yongguk’s grip was tight on the sword.
Standing up, holding it in front of him, he spoke.
“What do you want, creature? What are you?” – his voice was firm and his heart beat fast. Too fast.

“Your lips are soft, Yongguk…” – he heard her say. Her voice was melodic… she smiled.

“What do you want?” – he questioned firmly.

“Sweet sailor, come to me… follow the sound of my melody…” – the mermaid sang.
She sang, and Yongguk dropped the sword down, falling on his knees, defeated. His heart calming.

“Sweet sailor, I sing only for you… I can give you my heart if you give me yours too…” – she kept on singing.

Yongguk crawled closer to her. He saw her tail waving under the water.
“Who are you?” – he asked.

“Jieun” – she whispered, caressing his cheek. Her hand was cold, like the water.

“Jieun… Will you kill me?” – Yongguk asked. His voice was firm, but the mermaid noticed the fear on it.

She shook her head.
“I’m here to save you…”

“Save me… from what?” – Yongguk asked. He was serious now.

Jieun opened to answer, but something hit the boat, making it shake.
Something under the water…

Jieun gasped.
“What is it?” – Yongguk asked, turning pale.

“Leviathan…” – Jieun whispered.

Yongguk gulped.
Leviathan…
He couldn’t believe it… that couldn't be true! But he was talking to a mermaid, was he not?

“Yongguk, please, don’t move…” – Jieun whispered. There was concern on her voice.

He had only had time to blink.
The boat turned upside down. Yongguk was thrown in the water.
He moved his body, frightened. If it had been on land, Yongguk couldn’t care less if it was the leviathan or Satan… but in the water…
Yongguk couldn’t swim.

He saw a tail waving… something hit his face with strengh…then everything became dark.

 

“Please…”


“Yongguk, please…”


She hit his chest with strength – “wake up!” – a punch – “wake up!” – another.

He was cold… His lips were blue…
She hit him again, with all the strength she had.
She was in the water, and Yongguk lay on a tiny rocky island, inside of a cave.
The crystal water illuminated the cave, reflecting the gold, all over the place, illuminated by the moonlight, that entered by the entrance and a hole on the high top of it.

“What…” – she heard Yongguk mumble. He was alive!

“Yongguk…” – she called.

“Am I… dead?” – he managed.

The mermaid smiled, relieved.
“No…”

“But… you’re an angel…” – he smiled. His eyes still too heavy for him to open them.

“You’re despicable!” – she hit his chest again, laughing.

Yongguk smiled. A weak smile, but a smile.
Jieun’s laugher was melodic, he noticed…

He managed to sit.
“The sailors say you, I mean…the mermaids… that you have two heads and that you eat human flesh to survive…” – he said – “If they could see you…” – he laughed.

“They say this about us?” – Jieun laughed. Her arms resting on a rock, keeping her body still. Her tail waving under the water.

“They do…” – Yongguk laughed.

Their laughter faded slowly, giving room to silent smiles.
Yongguk spoke first.
“Thank you... Jieun” – he said. His eyes on the mermaid’s

“Anytime, my brave sailor” – she replied. Her voice reaching Yongguk’s ears as a sweet melody.