Chapter 3 – All About Shin

Yes, Master

“Her name is Mae Shin, and her story is not nearly a pretty as her name. Many years before she was born her mother and father where expecting a baby boy. But when the day came for him to be born, he was born a stillborn baby.
A year later this same instant repeated itself. Shin parents were becoming impatient. Then another year passed and Shin was born, but her parents were not happy. They were only annoyed and disappointed, for they had wanted a son and got a daughter instead. Eventually, the "family" fell apart. Shin's parents did not handle things responsibly, and soon they both became alcoholics.

I suppose I shouldn’t really call them Shin parents, because they didn’t act like parents at all, and they certainly didn’t treat their daughter with care or love. She was merely a servant to them. Her “masters” so they made her address them as. And at a very young age I believe Shin was even discarded as a human being, in her parent’s eyes anyway.
She did all the work in the household, and still her parents beat her if any little thing was out of place. I know this because long ago Shin wasn't like this. She used to talk. I think it was around age 6 that she stopped talking.
And to make matters worse she was born with many medical conditions and still has them. They are or I should say were a very poor family from the start, and her medical conditions have only plunged them further into debt.”

“What do you mean they were a poor family? Where are her parents now?” Junsu interrupted.

“That’s what this note is all about. Here, you read it. It pains my heart to much to read it myself.” Doctor John replied.

But nobody moved. There was complete silence in the room. Everyone was thinking the same thing, and they all had surly guessed by now what the note said.

“I… I’ll read it” YunHo said taking charge. …Ehhhemm… He began as he cleared his throat.
The others gathered around him to hear….

Shin,
We can’t live like this anymore.
We can’t handle you anymore.
Goodbye

Again, the same long awkward silence filled the room.

No one noticed as ChangMin practically floated in slow motion over to Shin’s bed. They were all to busy lost in there own thoughts about the situation.

“How…could…they…” Everyone looked up to see ChangMin next to Shin’s bed shaking. “How…. Could…. They!” He was shaking uncontrollably now.
His hands became fists, and his upper lip quivered as if he was about to cry. Everyone in the room stood motionless as they waited for ChangMin to speak again, but he didn’t.

JaeJoong came from behind and hugged ChangMin. “Breath” he said. And on command, ChangMin took a deep breath. He wanted to close his eyes and put his head back, and hug JaeJoong, but he couldn’t stop looking at her. He couldn’t even blink.

“She’s so young.” ChangMin said out of nowhere.

“Actually, she may look ten at the most, but she’s really sixteen years old.” Doctor John said.

She looked so young…and sad. Even in her sleep she did not smile.
They all understood at that moment that Doctor John had not nearly told them how tragic her life was, but merely brushed the surface of it.

“I believe she’s so small and skinny because she was malnourished at home.” Dr. John explained.

“Home…what home?” YunHo whispered.

“I know it’s hard to believe but you haven’t even heard the really bad parts.” Dr. John whispered back.

“Please, isn’t there anything we can do?!” ChangMin started.
“Are you going to tell her about the note?”
“Is she going to wake up soon?”
“Tell us more about her!”
“What’s going to happen to her?”
Everyone argued back and forth (yet Mickey has been silent the whole time), questions where being asked left and right, and the noise level grew and grew until….