xv

Black Paradise

 

Byunghun stared through the clear windows of a café. He had half expected Chanhee to follow him there, but there was no trace of the other boy around. Heaving a sigh of relief, he had ordered himself an iced coffee and sat on one of the booths. His phone rested in front of him on the wooden counter, as his eyes wandered amongst the people that passed by the café.

Surely there’s one person out there, even here in this city that passed by this café, that’s in the same predicament that I’m in. I can’t be the only bastard involved in this.

his lips, he slowly reached into the inside of his black jacket, slipping his hands through a pocket woven on it. His hands grasped a blue, velvet box. Retrieving it, he put the box onto the counter, and opened it. Inside, a glistening, silver ring rested on a bed of satin. Just three months ago, he was ready to propose to Miyoung. His parents were ecstatic, and urged him to propose whenever he felt the time was right. Three months ago, his future was already planned out. The Byunghun three months ago would have already guessed that in three months, he would have proposed already. If he had proposed three months ago, he and Miyoung would probably be living together, making the wedding plans. Preparing themselves to spend the rest of their lives together.

But what killed him was the fact that he couldn’t imagine him and Miyoung married. He couldn’t even imagine them as a couple. Byunghun was too busy pushing Miyoung away, pulling Chanhee closer and thinning out the thread that held his relationship with Miyoung.

Stupid Lee Chanhee.

Why did Changhyun even have to introduce them?!

At this point in time, he had to choose between Miyoung and Chanhee. And it was clear who he had to choose.

Taking a sip of his drink, he placed it onto the counter and his phone. Quickly, he dialed a number, and held the phone to his left ear. Within two rings, the person on the other line picked up.

“Would you like to go out with me tonight?”

****

After the phone call, he had wandered around the city, going wherever his feet took him. It was nearly five at night when he got another call, this one by Changhyun. He smiled softly, picking up on the third ring.

“Yes, Changhyun-ah?”

“Hyung! Where did you go?! We haven’t seen you since lunch, did something happen? Everyone’s worried.”

“My head just hurts; I’m taking a walk.”

“Come back to Woohyun’s place after, okay?”

Byunghun agreed and ended the call. He would have explaining to do back at Woohyun’s place. And he’d have to face Chanhee. Byunghun groaned, slouching his shoulders as he headed towards the nearest subway entrance.

****

When he had arrived back at Woohyun’s apartment, the door was unlocked. Finding it odd, he entered. In the front doorway, only a single pair of shoes was there. Changhyun implied that the rest of the boys were at Woohyun’s place, didn’t he?

“Where the hell were you? You didn’t answer any of my calls or messages, I was worried about you idiot!” Chanhee barked, standing in front of Byunghun.

Byunghun calmly untied his sneakers and placed them to the side, careful not to smudge the mirror. “Where did the others go?”

Chanhee watched Byunghun brush past him. “They went to the store to get food. D’you talk to your girlfriend?”

Byunghun bit the inside of his cheek, clenching his fists. Oh, wouldn’t Chanhee like to know. If that damn idiot cared so much about his relationship with Miyoung, then he should have done his part to stay away from it! It didn’t take much for him to explode.

“Listen now, and listen good Lee Chanhee. I don’t care who you like, I don’t care what you do. I don’t into your business, so return the favor and stay the hell away from mine,” Byunghun sneered, clenching his hands into fists and sticking them to his side. Chanhee couldn’t help but notice how cold the younger boy’s glare was…how unfamiliar it was. Just yesterday, Byunghun was gentle and even sweet to Chanhee during the movie. Is he ing bipolar or something?! He knew there was something off about Byunghun today. Ever since they had gone to Myeongdong for lunch…Byunghun had been acting weird. But Chanhee certainly didn’t expect Byunghun to explode at him.

Each word just felt like a slap in the face. Chanhee didn’t want to acknowledge his pesky feelings. He went so long trying to avoid them. Then, all of a sudden, the second he foolishly exposed a part of his heart, he was met with harsh rejection.

It was wrong of him to come onto Byunghun, even though he was in a relationship. It was wrong of him to get jealous of Miyoung, because he and Byunghun were apparently nothing. But he couldn’t help his feelings, it wasn’t his fault. He was wrong. But he didn’t regret anything. Byunghun felt something for him, and Chanhee knew that from day one. Why he was denying it so much was beyond Chanhee’s understanding.

“It seems as if you’re misunderstanding the situation, but I’m looking out for you as a friend. Is that so wrong?” Chanhee replied, the confidence slowly draining from his voice. This was precisely the reason why he played around. Why he didn’t want to get tied down, to get attached. Love makes one weak. Vulnerable. Pathetic. Why did it take me this long to realize that? There was an empty feeling in his stomach, as he felt it drop to his knees. Vaguely, he realized that his hands were slightly shaking. Shoving them in his pockets, he cleared his throat. Solely for the purpose of maintaining his image as a strong, careless boy.

“If you were really a friend, you would understand why I need to do this. You’re selfish, Chanhee. All you care about is yourself, and what you want. I could never like you, so just stay away from me. The last thing I need is people like you in my life. Now if you excuse me, I have a date to get to,” Byunghun stormed out, slamming the door behind him.