The Rain Will Stop

The Rain Will Stop

 

Changmin slowly opened his eyes with the smell of breakfast filling the room. He smiled. And then she was there, bringing a tray of food towards him.

“Good morning, oppa,” Seohyun greeted sweetly, as she climbed on the bed. “Breakfast in bed.”

Changmin kissed her warmly on the cheek. “Morning honey,” he greeted back.

He can never ask for anything else in his life. He has the most loving and caring girlfriend, great family and a successful career. And as he looked into Seohyun’s eyes, he felt that he’s the luckiest man on earth.

~

He’s late a meeting and the elevator wasn’t a great help, either. So he took the stairs. Good thing he’s fit because running from 13th to the 20th floor isn’t a joke.

He heard voices as he neared the 20th floor. A guy seemed to be angry while another voice is pleading, a woman’s voice. He saw them arguing on the stairs. The guy was wringing his hands in the air, angry eyes directed to the woman. She tried to reach out to him, but he snapped her hands away. He slapped her so hard and left. She crumpled to the floor, her hand reaching her face. No tears were falling from her eyes but her lips were trembling.

Changmin had the sudden impulse to reach out and hold her. He took a step but then she turned and saw him. Her eyes were blazing and suddenly her expression changed. She straightened up and left, without looking his way again.

But, on that split second, he saw the pain on her eyes.

~

The meeting was stressful. His head was throbbing. He was late and he can’t seem to concentrate on the discussion. He didn’t know the guy or the woman but he can’t seem to erase her face on his mind. She was beautiful and extraordinary.

He went to the rooftop to clear his mind. While looking at the city below with the wind surrounding him, he can feel his body relax. The city lights and sky are just so soothing. And as he turned a corner, there she is. Her back was turned to him and her long brown hair waving in the air. Her right hand held a cigarette. He watched as she brought the cigar on her red lips and puffed some smoke.

Changmin didn’t hesitate to walk up to her. He stood beside her and looked out into the city. He was surprised that she didn’t walk away.

They didn’t talk. There was no need to talk. She offered the pack of cigar to him and he accepted it. He quit smoking a few months back and he was also surprised that he accepted the offer.

Changmin stole glances to her. Her face is blank and expressionless. She was just staring at the scene below them. He waited for her to finish her stick. And that was when she looked up at him. Really faced him.

Changmin could feel a throb down there. God! She was breathtaking. Her eyes are huge and hard. Her nose is so perfect and her lips, so soft and full. They continued to stare at each other.

At last she spoke. “It’s better to not say anything about what happened earlier. Wouldn’t want you to be in trouble.” Her voice was surprisingly soft and sweet.

He nodded. “Got it.” He cleared his throat. His voice seemed squeaky.

She still continued to stare at him. Her eyes bore into him and it’s as if she’s waiting. Waiting for him… challenging him.

Without breaking the stare, he took a small step towards her. She didn’t budge and there seemed to be a small smile playing on her lips. That gave him the strength to close the gap between them. Still holding her gaze, his hand reached out and raised her chin. As if under a spell, he bent his head and kissed her lips softly. And the world stopped.

He can’t seem to hear the swirling wind surrounding them nor the noisy city below them. All he could think was the soft chin he’s holding and the supple lips that he’s kissing. He groaned as the woman opened and responded to his kisses. Changmin put his arm on her back to pull her towards him while she buried her hands on his hair, pulling him to her. She tilted her head and he deepened the kiss. Their tongue played and they exchanged bites on their lips. They kissed as if they’ve known each other. They kissed as if it was their last. And they were breathless. He leaned his head on hers and gasped for air. His hand is still on her back. His lips curled into a smile because he liked the way her body seemed to fit his.

~

As Victoria opened her eyes, the sun is blazing in the room. She looked beside her and there he is, sleeping so peacefully with his other arm draped on her. His long hair is covering his eyes. She silently moved his arm and stood up to close the curtains. She climbed back to bed and her fingers itched to touch his face. She moved the hair from his eyes and continued to stare at him. His nose is long and cute while his lips are just heaven.

She checked the clock. ! It’s almost 10 am. She hurriedly changed and left some bills on the desk for the hotel payment. She looked at him one last time and softly kissed his eyes.

As she stepped out of the room, she wondered why destiny brought them together when she knows that she can’t stay. He was something, indeed. He’s dazzling and extraordinary. Funny, she didn’t know his name. Too bad, Victoria thought. She made her way to the busy street to her apartment. She can’t be late on her flight.

~

Victoria settled back in China. It was once her hometown and it will always be. Pursuing her career in South Korea was a mistake. But she has to try to see if it will work out. She made mistakes from all of those bad relationships that she had but she learned a lot. She’s strong and will always be.

And now, after 4 long years, she’s back in South Korea. Even she can’t believe herself that she’ll ever set foot here again. Last month, a friend told her that she found the guy she met before coming back to China. She gave Victoria his name and address. Shim Changmin. After debating with herself, she decided to go. She just has to see him again. One last time.

~

Changmin didn’t seem to change. His hair is still long, slightly covering his eyes. His hands are strong and lean. She found him drinking coffee on the porch. His face is serious as he reads the newspaper.

Victoria remembered how softly those hands held her before. How their eyes stared at one another, saying nothing. How those lips kissed her tears away. She remembered it all. How she wanted to stay, but she can’t.

She watched as Changmin looked up from his reading and looked her way. But she hid behind a tree. She didn’t know why she did that. Victoria peeked again and he’s now back to his reading.

What happened next didn’t seem to surprise her. A woman and a young boy, probably 2 years old, walked out from the house towards him. The woman was tall and pretty. The young boy climbed on Changmin’s lap and shouted, “Appa! Good morning!”

They were so happy. Changmin and his son are playing while his wife’s just watching them, smiling at her perfect family.

~

She was surprised to feel the tears building up and falling from her eyes. It’s done. She saw him and he’s happy. She should be happy as well because for the last time, she’s able to see him. She wasn’t expecting a happy ending for them anyway. She knows from the start that there’s no future for them. She just needed to see him again so that she could go on with her life. But why is she crying?

As her plane took off towards China, she raised her chin and promised destiny that she will be strong. She will face her life with purpose and dignity. Maybe, someday, she’ll have her own family. And maybe a few children, as well. She will not close her heart. Because she knows that after the rain, the sun will always rise and shine again.