Run To You

Run To You

 

+

I run from hate | I run from prejudice | I run from pessimists
But I run too late
I run my life | Or is it running me | Run from my past | I run too fast
Or too slow it seems

Kyuhyun groaned audibly and immediately regretted it when a few heads turned to his direction.

“You ok?” one of his fellow casts in the musical asked him, a look of concern on his face.

He pulled up the muscles on his cheeks and grinned, sincerely hoping the other man didn’t notice how forced that grin was.

“I’m alright,” he said, nodding and letting out a shaky laughter.

But it was a lie.

The truth was that he was dead tired, physically and mentally. However, he didn’t dare to complain, because he didn’t want people to pity him. Moreover, he didn’t want people to doubt his ability and professionalism. He had done all he could to prove himself. It worked, but for a good price, too. His singing voice was the reason why he had been kept busy for the longest time: singing for Super Junior and Super Junior M, singing soundtracks, singing with a new temporary group, also this musical. However, since their fourth album comeback, Kyuhyun had started to be recognized for some more things. Dancing Kyu, and not to mention the variety shows he had been casted in, because now people were noticing his talking ability (or more like, his awesome comments and retorts in variety shows). And he had to do his best to live up to those people’s expectations.

It was starting to take a toll on his body and mind. It actually had been, for a while now. He just didn’t quite know what to do to control it. Instead of controlling his own life, his life was controlling him.

When lies become the truth
That’s when I run to you

 

To add up to his frustration, protecting his image as an idol was also tough. The words he had to restrain from saying out loud, the lies he had to tell to please the public, the people he wasn’t supposed to be friends with, the people he wasn’t supposed to fall in love with. Years of living the so-called idol life, sometimes Kyuhyun found himself wondering about his true self. Which part of him was real, and which part was just an act. A mask to protect his fragile self and all the truths buried safely within his heart, from the cruelness of the world.

He slid down the wall to rest and gulped down half a bottle of water. They were in the middle of a ten minutes break, and there was only five minutes left. Kyuhyun closed his eyes, letting sleep take over him even just for a while.

And then his cellphone beeped. With heavy-lidded eyes Kyuhyun checked his mail inbox and he grinned, an honest grin. It was a message from Ryeowook.

>Kyuhyunnie! Sungmin-hyung! Are you practicing for your musical right now? I am, too! Let’s do our best! I’ll finish a little earlier than usual, though. I’ll cook something for dinner, so you will have an excuse to skip dinner with your co-actors! Hahaha! See you later!<

It was quite obvious that Ryeowook sent the same message to Sungmin, who was having musical practice, too. Kyuhyun typed a quick grateful reply to Ryeowook, and sent another message to Sungmin.

>Sungmin-hyung, you read what Ryeowook-hyung sent us. Let’s eat dinner together tonight. I already miss gathering with you all. Don’t eat dinner outside! And let’s have a wine session after dinner, too!<

A minute later a reply came from Sungmin. It was just a simple okaysee you tonight!but Kyuhyun felt much more cheerful and he felt his tiredness was dissipating. Break time was over and Kyuhyun quickly stood up and joined his co-actors with a happy little smile on his lips.

 

This world keeps spinning faster | Into a new disaster so I run to you
I run to you baby
And when it all starts coming undone | Baby you’re the only one I run to
I run to you

Kyuhyun had his best friends, inside and outside of Super Junior. Friends with whom he went crazy, friends with whom he shared secrets, friends with whom he spent time together. However, Super Junior was his second family. They were not only his friends, they were also his brothers. They cared for him, and he cared for them, a lot. The small attentions they gave him had become another source of his strength. When Kyuhyun was feeling stressed from the amount of activities he had to do for work, when he missed his mother, father and sister so badly but couldn’t do anything because of the tight schedule, he remembered the other Super Junior members.

They were also working hard, striving and doing their best. They went through the same strenuous activities. Sometimes, some of them had lighter or fewer activities, but some of them even had it worse than he did. However, they all still showed that they cared for each other. The simple messages they sent each other, the warm pats on the shoulder, the ruffles on his hair when they met for a short while in the dorm, the arms sliding around his waist for comfort. Thinking about the other members put Kyuhyun’s troubled mind at ease, for some unexplainable reasons.

And then there was also Sungmin. Sungmin was special. He had been Kyuhyun’s roommate for years, his best friend, his big-brother (sometimes like a nagging sister), but Sungmin loved Kyuhyun in ways more than a roommate or a friend or a brother ever would, and that feeling was mutual. Sungmin was special. He was someone with whom Kyuhyun would feel at home. He could go crazy with Sungmin, he could get wine-drunk together with him, they could have a long chat session together, but they could also say nothing even when they were next to each other and it was never an uncomfortable silence, because they understood each other even without too many words. Kyuhyun just needed Sungmin by his side, whatever it was they were doing. Sungmin was a calming, undemanding, and constant presence that he needed and he wanted Sungmin to be in his life for a long long time, if forever was not possible.

We run on fumes | Your life and mine | Like the sands of time
Slippin’ right on through

 

He couldn’t make it to dinner at the dorm that night. There were a couple of parts in the musical that they had to perfect, and everyone else agreed to continue until a little later than usual. Everyone except Kyuhyun, actually, but he couldn’t say no because it would be inconvenient for the other casts and staffs. Clenching his jaw, Kyuhyun nodded his agreement to the rest of the casts, once again a forced smile made its way across his countenance.

He thought no one noticed, but one of the casts, the closest one he could call his friend, patted his back kindly and said in a low tone so that nobody else could hear them. “Someone waiting at home?”

Kyuhyun smiled weakly, feeling thankful that someone there actually understood him, and whispered a hoarse “Yeah, my hyungs… It’s been a while since we had dinner together…”

“Sungmin?” his friend asked, a knowing smirk starting to show on his face.

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows slightly, trying to read his friend’s expression, searching for a reason behind that smirk.

Because their musicals were under the same company, the two groups went to an MT trip together, that was why most of the casts from both musicals knew about Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s closeness. Kyuhyun never said anything, though, because it wasn’t like he was going to announce to the world that he loved Sungmin that way. At least not now. He lived in Korea and he was an idol, after all.

He didn’t even spend that much time with Sungmin in that MT trip. He used that trip to bond with his musical casts and staffs, not a private vacation. Maybe it just showed, Kyuhyun shrugged. Maybe people just saw how they paid attention to each other’s movements, the gentle look they were giving each other when their eyes accidentally met, the easy atmosphere surrounding them whenever they did actually interact.

Whatever people assumed of Sungmin and his relationship, they surely knew the two were close.

“Yeah, Sungmin hyung and Ryeowook hyung, and most probably Eunhyuk hyung, too…” Kyuhyun said with a little more honest smile. “I’ll just text them now, and we can continue. Just give me a second, Hyung,”

His friend nodded and gave his shoulder a gentle understanding squeeze. “We’ll be right over there. I think we’ll have a quick dinner first, the staffs are ordering delivery for our dinner,”

“Okay. Thank you, Hyung,” Kyuhyun nodded. He watched his friend joining the other casts and staffs, then he reached for his bag to find his cellphone. With a defeated sigh he typed a message for both Sungmin and Ryeowook.


And our love’s the only truth
That’s why I run to you

 

Trying hard not to make too many noises, Kyuhyun entered the dorm and went straight to the direction of the bathroom, tossing his bag onto the floor by the television set midway there. It was only a little past midnight, but the living room was already deserted. At this hour, Leeteuk and Eunhyuk had probably just finished recording Sukira and were still on their way home. Soft murmurs could be heard from Yesung’s room. Kyuhyun figured he was in the middle of a midnight chat (more like a monologue) with his tortoises. Delaying his plan on visiting the bathroom, he made a little detour to the kitchen and observed the dirty dishes in the sink. Ryeowook really cooked something, it seemed. He opened the refrigerator and found a small bowl of sour-sweet fried chicken, with pineapples. It was the dish Ryeowook and Zhou Mi made in one of the variety show they recorded in Taiwan. He remembered very well how good it tasted, and his taste buds were already singing a happy harmony. He his lips in anticipation.

Kyuhyun took the bowl out and put it on the circular dining table adjoining the kitchen counter, planning on devouring said dish after he showered. He approached the bathroom and heard the soft rumble of running water from inside. He grinned. It had to be Sungmin in there. There was a small squeak of plastic scraping on metal as the tap was turned off, followed by a clunk. Sungmin had just finished brushing his teeth, Kyuhyun could tell. His hand was on the door handle and he was just a heartbeat away from making his surprise ambush into the bathroom when the door swiftly swung open, pulling Kyuhyun inside along with it.

Kyuhyun stumbled into the unsuspecting Sungmin, but Sungmin’s reflex was good enough to prepare himself for the sudden force knocking into him.

“Kyuhyun-ah!” he exclaimed, arms holding his roommate’s lean waist to keep them both standing.

Kyuhyun laughed and straightened up, both of his hands on top of Sungmin’s, on either side of his own waist. “Sorry, Hyung, I was going to surprise you,” he grinned.

Sungmin chuckled. Kyuhyun stared at Sungmin, his gentle and shining eyes, the endearing roundness of the apple of his cheeks as he smiled wide at Kyuhyun, the pink full lips stretching perfectly into said smile. Kyuhyun was happy. He bent his head down and buried his face in the crook of Sungmin’s neck, and hummed contentedly.

Sungmin rubbed Kyuhyun’s back soothingly with one hand. “How was your day?” he asked in an almost whisper.

“Tiring,” Kyuhyun mumbled into the skin on Sungmin’s neck, “But I’m good now. I’m all good, Hyung,” because you’re with me now, he wanted to add, but he didn’t bother to say it out loud, because Sungmin already knew that, anyway. He settled his arms around Sungmin’s waist and melted into him.

“Hmm,” Sungmin responded, the nimble fingers of his other hand found their way into Kyuhyun’s hair, and he gave it a tender massage.

“How’s yours?” Kyuhyun asked, voice muffled because he still didn’t feel like leaving the current spot his head was resting on.

“It was okay. I managed to get home for dinner with Ryeowookie, after all,” Sungmin said.

“Ah,” Kyuhyun remembered about cancelling their plan to eat dinner together, and felt guilty, “I’m sorry about that, Hyung,”

“It’s alright,” Sungmin whispered, and Kyuhyun trusted him when he said it was alright. So he let the guilt seeped away, feeling all warm and fuzzy inside when Sungmin shifted his head and brushed his lips against Kyuhyun’s cheek. “Now go clean up, because you stink,”

Aha, there it was, the nagging older sister mode.

 

This world keeps spinning faster | Into a new disaster so I run to you
I run to you baby
And when it all starts coming undone | Baby you’re the only one I run to
I run to you

 

When Kyuhyun stepped out of the shower, his sleepwear was already there by the sink. Silently thanking his hyung for the consideration, Kyuhyun quickly dressed and went out of the bathroom.

He found Sungmin sitting hunched at the dining table, head tucked in his arms on the table, fast asleep. Next to him were his bowl of sour-sweet fried chicken and another bowl of rice. Kyuhyun stepped closer and grazed his fingers on the bowl’s surface. It was warm. Sungmin had microwaved it for him. An opened bottle of red wine was also there with two clear glasses. It was the wine that Kyuhyun bought in the airport in France. They still had a quarter of it left. Kyuhyun grinned again. He couldn’t control the happy feeling bubbling inside his chest, threatening to burst.

Kyuhyun poured a little amount of the garnet-colored liquid into both of their glasses, and ran his fingers through Sungmin’s hair to wake him up.

“Sungmin-ah,” Kyuhyun softly called, the short strands on Sungmin’s nape as he did so.

Sungmin jerked awake and sat straight, staring sleepily at Kyuhyun. “Oh, you’re finished showering?”

“Obviously,” Kyuhyun chuckled, watching as Sungmin rubbed his eyes with his fingers and tried to blink away the sleep. Sungmin smiled when he noticed that the glasses were filled already, and he reached for his glass.

“Eat up and let me enjoy my wine,” Sungmin said, inhaling the strong scent from the glass before sipping it with closed eyes. He leant back on his chair and exhaled a contented sigh.

Kyuhyun did as he was told and wolfed down his food. It went well with his wine, so all was good. He finished his meal and dumped his bowls in the kitchen sink. Soon, he was dragging Sungmin and his glass into their shared room. They continued their wine drinking session on their respective beds, both of them leaning back into their headboards, sipping on their wine and chatting a little more about their day. Even when the glasses were empty and were abandoned on the bedside table, they continued their chat with Kyuhyun propping his laptop open on his lap. It didn’t take long for Sungmin to doze off, and Kyuhyun still busy clicking away on his laptop.

Kyuhyun took a glance at the sleeping Sungmin and he smiled inwardly.

And just like that, Kyuhyun was happy. No matter how tiring the day was—be it because he worked hard or played hard, no matter how stressed he was, no matter how much he missed his family, he would feel better because he had Sungmin. Even when they had to be separated for weeks, even just Sungmin’s voice over the international calls would heal him.

At the end of every day, he would always look forward to hearing Sungmin’s voice, feeling the warmth of his hugs and his gentle caresses, the softness of Sungmin’s lips against his own—

—because Sungmin was someone to whom Kyuhyun always came home.

This world keeps spinning faster | Into a new disaster so I run to you
I run to you baby
And when it all starts coming undone | Baby you’re the only one I run to
I run to you

END

a/n:

It’s actually the first time I wrote a song-fic ^^ Can this be called a song-fic? Hahaha.
Feel free to point out mistakes and such ;)
I hope you enjoyed reading it!