Chapter 1

Evolutionary Aftermath

 

Log 715

Day since outbreak: 730

Time: 21:19:23

Location: Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, U.S.A.

 

Looking out into the horizon, I grimaced at the state of what once was the City of Lights. Well, it was the brightest city on Earth, according to NASA, since it was the brightest city from space but all that doesn't really matter now, does it?

The wind had blown in red sand from the desert that surrounded this once beautiful city. Sand wasn't the only thing that got blown in, considering the amount of strange reptile-like creatures I had seen since I arrived. A normal person shouldn't even be able to see clearly in this darkness but I’m not exactly normal anymore.

There were broken windows everywhere, probably the aftermath of the public announcement where the side effects were announced. I sometimes wonder what happened to those who didn't survive, the pain they were going through. Oh well, no point in caring now.

The entire city looked to dead and worn out, all colour gone. A perfect representation of the world right now, I must admit.

I dragged my eyes away from the bleak scenery and wrapped my silk robe around me even tighter. The red material felt so smooth against my skin, protecting it from the breeze.

It was starting to get cold, indicating that midnight would soon be upon us. It’s funny really, how I can still feel the cold, I thought I wouldn't have that ability anymore. I needed to scan the city soon, though the comfort of the room was tempting enough to stay.

The room I picked had an extremely large bed that surprisingly not too dusty with a beautiful 42’’ inch TV and a DVD player. Despite already knowing the outcome, I tried cable TV when I first arrived to see if they would still broadcast but obviously not. Who would have the time for that?

It’s a mystery how they keep electricity and water going, with the amount of people they have left to run them.

I turned towards my backpack and picked out some appropriate clothing for my scanning session tonight. I chucked on a pair of faded dark blue skinny jeans and a baggy t-shirt together with a thick leather jacket.

As I was getting my brown cowboy boots on, I realized I forgot to get a new bottle of fresh water. I didn't really need it since I had last drunk a week ago, but what the heck. Might as well refill when I have the resources right?










A/N Sorry for the short first chapter! I'll try and make the others longer. Also, I hope you enjoyed it :)