Prologue

till death (do us apart)

 

Prologue

“Yixing! We are back!”

“Yixing!”

 “..Yixing?”

The note on the table and the slim engagement ring placed beside the food that was laid out on the table caught his eye.

A feeling of dread washed over him and gripped his heart as he stared at the engagement ring he had given Yixing two nights ago. With shaking fingers, he reached out for the note, accidentally brushing against the cold surface of the ring.

 

Dear Yifan,

I am so sorry... Forgive me for leaving you and Zitao just like that. I couldn’t think of any other way to do so. I cannot be a burden to you guys anymore. Thank you for all the wonderful memories that you and Zitao have created for me throughout these years, being with the two of you were honestly the best part of my life. But I am sorry that I cannot give you the happiness that you want. It kills me to say this, but please don’t try to find me after you have read this. It’s all for the better. I know you may not forgive me for doing this to the both of you, and you may even hate me for doing so. But I really have no other choice. I will not blame you if you find the person who makes you happy. So long as you are happy, I will be happy. Please tell Zitao I am sorry. I love the both of you very much. I am sorry, Yifan….

Love, Yixing

The piece of paper fluttered to the floor as he rushed out of the kitchen, frantically pulling open the drawers and opening the cupboards in their room.

“No, no, no, no, no…” words of denial trickled out of his mouth as his search turned out futile. Every single trace of Yixing was gone. The only thing that was a reminder that Yixing was ever there was the sweet scent lingering in the bedroom. He sank to the floor, clutching his head in denial as his body racked with sobs.

Why Yixing, why?