1

Goodbye and I'll Walk Away

 

“Let’s break up.”  The words are spoken at the exact same time.  They are in Zhoumi’s flat in Beijing, they had not spoken until that moment.  They looked at each other with their eyes full of memories, hate, sorrow, and most of all pain.

They knew from the beginning it wasn’t going to work out, but they jumped in anyway, they took the risk.  Yoona’s parents wanted her to get married to a Korean boy; Zhoumi’s wanted him to get married to a Chinese girl.  They knew that, but they still tried anyways.  They kept their relationship a secret, until one day they bumped into both of their parents.  Angry and frustrated at their children, they had dragged them away, that didn’t stop them.  But they both felt guilty though to their parents, they had to do something about the guilt that lied within them.

Zhoumi blinked away his tears, and with a cracked voice spoke “So, we feel the same way… huh?”

“I guess…” Yoona replied,  Zhoumi desperately wanted to wipe away the tear that rolled down her cheek, he wanted to tell her it was alright, that everything was going to be alright but, his lips did not move, for he did not want to tell a lie.

Yoona knew that the same troubles were hanging over their head, she didn’t blame Zhoumi, nor did she hate him.  It was, to her, inevitable.   She could feel her tears leaking out of her eyes and she tried to hold them in.  Her grip on her skirt hem grew tighter, she was sad, broken, all she wanted, needed was Zhoumi but, she couldn’t have him, nor could he have her.  They were stuck, lost in pain and sorrow.  Zhoumi got up from his seat in front of Yoona and sat beside her and slipped his arms around her, letting Yoona cry into his shoulder.  She wept silently and let her hands find their way around Zhoumi, they stayed like this, tears spilling quietly from their eyes.

They agreed to meet at the Wall of China the next day.

 

The next they reunite at the Wall, their hands interlocked tightly and they started walking in silence, thinking about the times they had together.  Their laughter, their tears, their smiles, the hugs, the kisses, every single moment together, and as they walked, their hands never left each other’s.  Zhoumi looked at Yoona with a small smile and she, even though she was still upset, mustered up a tiny smile back.

Soon their trip ended, with them still hand in hand.  They turned to face each other, and without words the two embraced.  Zhoumi urged her to go, to leave first, and Yoona obyed, knowing they needed to separate.  With a deep breath, she turned and walked away, with each step, came a tear rolling down her cheek, her doe eyes were filled with tears as she walked away.  Each step came a little voice in her head asking ‘Can we say goodbye just like this? Why is it that I still miss you?’  her hands trembled, a part of her wanted to go back, to see if Zhoumi was still there but, she didn’t turn around, she didn’t turn back.

Zhoumi let Yoona leave first, as soon as he could not see willowy silhouette amongst the crowd of people, is when he let his tears fall, fresh tears stained his pale cheeks.  He asked himself ‘Who’s still struggling to resist? Who’s dragging it all back?’, he knew he wanted to drag her back, to feel her presence in his arms again, he wanted to find her but, his legs made no move, it took all his willpower to stop himself.  He closed his eyes and wiped his tears away.  He took a deep breath before walking away.

The next two years after that were horrible for Yoona, she moved back to Korea and started to actually purse modelling, she had become a very popular model and was asked to go down runaways from all different countries, Paris, Milan, just about every major city there was.  Her schedule was jammed but, always at the back of her mind, there was Zhoumi.

For Zhoumi, he became well known as a singer, he held worldwide concerts,  was adored by many fans, and lived well.  But at the back of his mind when he wrote songs, there was a thought that lingered.

Yoona.

He swore that he would forget about her, and he seemingly did, becoming closer with many other artists, some females but, he never got in another relationship.  That was because he promised he would never give away his love again, not after Yoona.  He never kept any memory of her, but it was hard, she was a well-known model, always brought up by others for her beauty.  But he ignored it, and with time he forgot about her, and she somehow forgot about him.